Vypyr 120H Review

Features: 9.5
 5.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Vypyr 120H Reviewed by: biglu30, on july 08, 2010

Features: Real Tube Power 120W Built in headphone jack and usb interface CD/MP3 Input 24 digital amp models 11 stompbox effects 11 rack effects On-board Tuner connects to Peavy Sanpera footswitch to act as a floor processor This amp has plenty of power. The only downside is that the footswith is very pricey but it makes this amp do even more. // 9

Sound: VERY VERSATILE. This amp can produce tones for any style of music. Some are very accurate. All the Peavey models, as well as the Rectifier and Marshall simulations are VERY close. The rest are good, but not always as accurate. The downside is that you get only 2 channels for each model and since they were digitally modeled, there is not as much versatility in sound that you would get from a real version of the amp. THAT BEING SAID, for $550, nothing comes close to what this amp was designed to do: give a wide variety of moderate to good sounding tones and effects. // 7

Reliability & Durability: DURABILITY: It seems to be a well built amp. The leather like exterior is good quality. I have not had this amp long enough to put it through enough abuse to make any kind of objective evaluation though. RELIABILITY: Occasionally the amp will freeze up, which is not an uncommon occurrence in digital processors. It is very seldom though, and you can continue to play, although you cannot change channels. // 5

Overall Impression: I play everything from jazz to classic rock to metal. This amp does it all. I can get the harsh "BTBAMesque" crunch with the Krankenstein sim, or the smooth crunch for In Flames or Periphery (if you have the right settings on the JSX with the tubescreamer on it resembles an ENGL). I can get a classic sounding Brit stack or a bright clean. I have this set up with an Avatar G412 Vintage cab and it gets crazy low end. CONCLUSION: You cannot find a better head for $550. This amp does it all and it does it well. Great value buy. // 9

Vypyr 120H Reviewed by: Vampire_Prince, on march 11, 2011

Purchased from: dolphin music

Features: I don't know when this amp was made, but I know it sounds amazing! Its a digital modeling amp, so it works on pre-sets rather than channels, and you can store up to 12 pre-sets on this thing (4 pre-sets on each of the 3 banks). You boost the amount of pre-sets you can have up to 400 with the optional sanpera 2 pedal. It also features true analogue distortion and real valve power. It also has two sets of effects, 11 stompboxes and 11 'rack' effects, as well as that there are global delay and reverb settings which sound better than any I've tried, there's also a tap-tempo button to control the intervals of the delay. This is my main gigging amp along with my 412 cab, and they sound heavenly together! // 10

Sound: I'm using mostly my NT warlock with this amp as it is my main stage guitar and they sound great together, this is hands-down the BEST modeling amplifier I've come across, I've tried the line-6 spiders, the Roland cubes etc, and this one wins in both quality and value. I can only guess that there's some kind of built-in noise suppressor or that the wiring is just really good, because there is literally NO unwanted noise in this thing (unless you crank the distortion a bit too much). The distortions you can get of this thing are unreal, but that's where we get a bit controversial, because I've had the privilege to only try 1 or 2 of the real versions of the amp models on this and for most part its pretty faithful, but for everything else, I take it for what it is, not how much it sounds like something else, because to be honest I'd rather sound good that like some other band/guitarist. Now, that being said, it sounds GREAT! It suits my style great! I play mostly metal styles of music, but don't think that means this amp is just another hi-gain amp. I've also tried its clean settings and they all sound just as good! Gimmicky as it sounds, this amp really does sound great for almost everything! // 9

Reliability & Durability: this is where I have my doubts, I've personally never had a problem with any of the Peavey vypyrs (I own the 15 watt and 100 watt SS combos), but I've heard that they can break down quite easily, which is quite understandable seeing as all the effects and pre-sets are being run and stored digitally. All I can really say is that if you get one, you'd best be VERY careful with it or buy a flight case. // 7

Overall Impression: so, think that digital modeling is a gimmick and that they sound weak and thin? Think again! I've been comparing digital and modeling tech to real tube/SS amps for a while now, and I can safely say that for the most part, you'd be right in thinking that digi-amps and weak gimmicks, but this thing can pump out the riffs like any other big amps! I've tried marshalls, Blackstars, and line-6 amps, and this one came out on top! No joke! If this was stolen I would freak out! I'd have to get a new one ASAP or find the stolen one and give the thief a nice little backhand. the only thing I feel this amp lacks is the foot-controller sanpera pedal to really unlock all its features, but that's next on my list XP. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014