Vypyr 15 Review

7.6
reviews (23) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: aenimafist, on november 10, 2008

Purchased from: Rieman Music

Features: Peavey has been working on building this digital modeling amplifier for over two years past the expected release date in order to out-do the Line 6 Spider series. They succeeded with flying colors. Peavey's Vypyr 15 watt practice amp packs in a dozen or so amp models with each having two different sounds: clean and distorted. The amp models range from the JSX to a named but non-credited K-Stein to a Peavey Classic to a 6150. There are tons of options here for tonal variety and a lot to mess around with in order to find your personal sound. Along with the amp models you get a dozen or so effects including a flanger, delay, chorus, reverb, tube screamer and the exciting reverse function. Each effect includes two adjustable parameter controls which are accessed by pressing the effects button in and thus entering edit mode. Along with all of this stuff, there are three banks with four channel save options. In relation to ther sizes, the Vypyrs have three times the RAM as Spiders do. On larger amp models starting at 60 watt, there is a USB port access so you can download the new amp system into your amplifier whenever it is updated instead of having to dish out a few hundred bucks to get the newest model. // 10

Sound: A lot of people thought Line 6 was the ultimate option for tone but the Peavey Vypyr series has got them beat for sure. With all of the different options avilable for your amp model and such, you can have nearly endless possibilities for your sound. You can take a clean Twin tube sound and pound on a tube screamer or chorus. Or you can put on the extreme distortion brought down by the K-Stein model. Anything you can make on a Spider you can produce using this wonder-machine, and this is just a practice amp! On the larger amps there are two effects options so you can have two effects running at one time. One of the most prominent complaints in regards to the Spider amps was the bad clean sound. It was okay but just wasn't cutting it. You can expect a much solider clean sound out of this little machine. You can produce the melloest sound you want or the heaviest distortion ever that could bring your house down! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Despite the small size of this amplifier, some might say that it is too small to be loud enough to work well without having a lot of feedback. On the contrary, I actually did an experiment where I played Live to some people with this amp not visible and with my 75 watt Spider on the stage turned on. Everyone thought it was the Spider I was playing through and they were surprised to find out I was using a 15 watt practice amp. One of the first mistakes I made when taking it out was I had to shake it out of it's tight box. It fell on the floor but remained perfectly intact and sounded exactly like the demo model I used. This amp would certainly be reliable during a gig. The only thing is that you can't use a foot switch with it yet. You can only do that with a 30 watt or more. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect amplifier to use for whatever style of music you play whether it be blues, metal, hard rock, classic rock, or whatever. This is a great value for the money because Peavey could easily increase the price of this piece of equipment and still get it to sell very well. At first all I used was Line 6 and it was all used. I was completely devoted to Line 6 but this amp series is so much better. If you are looking for endless tonal diversity and a gazillion options for your sound, just look up Peavey subsection Vypyr in the encyclopedia. // 10

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2008

Features: I've been playing for about a year now. This baby owns! it has 12 different Peavey amp models (clean or dirty on each, so 24 for those slow at math), plus 12 effects (Trem, Chorus, Auto Wah, Slap back, flanger, tubescream, bypass, octaver, phaser, rotary spkr, reverse, pitch shift) - all that you can fine tune. I bought a wireless headphone set and plugged it in for nighttime use (excellent btw), and often plug my iPod into the aux input jack. This lovely piece (which is the 15w version) is pleanty loud! // 10

Sound: I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with GFS Retrotrons (the guy I bought it from said he'd put them in for free). I like the heavy-ish stuff (Metallica, Pantera, Tool), grunge stuff (STP's, Pearl Jam, etc.), and the classics (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.). The 505 amp model is perfect for Metallica, the Twn is great for clean, and B-Kat (on dirty) is awesome with AC/DC. Sometimes it can get a little buzzy on distortion and clean, but you can fine tune the low, mid, high, pre gain, and post gain levels and fix it a little. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definately depend on this MoFo. I'm not sure I would this small of an amp in a gig (atleast the 50w?? ). Sometimes-I don't know if it's just mine- when I turn it on, a couple random lights show up and it won't play, but I just flip the Switch off then on again and it's all better. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good starter amp. If you can't afford that Marshall and those effects pedals it is excellent. It can range anywhere from hillbilly, to blues, to great clean, to good distortion, to metal, and probably to death metal, too (lol). I might buy a nother one if it was lost or stolen, but probably upgrade to one with the MIDI port on it (30w atleast). It's a very nice sounding amp, and will fit in anywhere from beginners to experts. When I checked it out at GC the guy said it was waayy better than the Line 6 Spider III's. I wish it came with a Switch pedal though. That's about it! GREAT AMP! // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2010

Features: Where do I start? This solid state modeling amp has more features than I can count. 12 distinct Amp models, each with a clean and distorted channel, 11 rack effects, three band equalizer, pre and post-gain controls, delay, reverb, a chromatic tuner, 12 fully programmable presets, a 1/8" auxilary imput to play along with MP3's and a 1/8" headphone out for silent practice. The only feature that I wish it had was a footswitch for switching from one preset to another while playing, but this is available on higher Vypyr models.

There are a few effects that just aren't up to par. For me, I found the Env Filter and rotary spiker rather useless, unless you spend a good deal of time manually editing them. Also, the Octaver dosen't sound good no matter how much I try to tweak it. To be honest the sheer amount of stuff that you can do with this amp is a bit overwhelming.

I am a beginning guitarist and use this amp only for practice, but it does have the ability to get quite loud, and I could see it being used at some gigs. Personally, I have never taken the volume up over 3 and it has suited my needs rather well. // 10

Sound: I have used this amp with both an Ibanez rg 120, and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. What really impresses me about this amp is the variety of sounds that you can make. You can easily play anything from clean blues and jazz to heavy metal all with one amp and no petals. And since this is a solid state amp you can get all these sounds at a reasonable volume. However, none of these sounds will be done particularily well. You can get a tone somewhere in the ballpark of Angus Young, or B.B. King, but you'll never be able to get the subtle nuances of any particular sound. It's a classic Ack of all trades situation. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I said, I only use this amp for practice, so I don't gig with it and it dosen't travel much (This really isn't designed as a performance amp anyway). Mine is in great shape and I haven't had any problems with it. But I must say that the plastic knobs and switches feel rather cheap, and I could easily see them breakinng off if not treated well. // 4

Overall Impression: I think that this is one of the most versitile amps on the market, however I don't know if it has a great niche. As a beginner, the amount of sounds that you can get from this amp is great for discovering what type of music you enjoy playing. The auxilary in allows you to build confidence by jamming with your favorite songs, and the headphoe, jack lets you do all of this without disturbing others. However the amount of options that you have can be overwhelming since you may not know what some of the terms mean or what they do, so you won't be able to take full advantage of the many features. You might want to simplify things a bit with the Marshall mg15(solid state), or the Bugera v5(tube).

As an experienced player, you can use the many features of the Vypyr to their fullest, but you will likely be dissatisfied with the end results.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to price. At 100$ an amp with this many features is still a steal, and you can still geat an amazing variety of decent sounds. // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: MetallicSka, on june 23, 2011

Price paid: C$ 80

Purchased from: Music Pro

Features: Modelling amp, so it has tons of different amp settings. Very versatile, able to play any kind of music. I wish it had a better tuner though. That things hard to read. Once you find your tone, you rarely cycle through different settings again. I use this amp for at home practice, and for band practice. At maximum volume you can play with a drummer. // 8

Sound: Using an Ibanez GSA60 on this. This suits my style of music, because it has so many effects. From funk to thrash, this can do it all. Get slight buzz when not touching strings. Clean channel gets kind of fuzzy at high volume, still sounds good though. The distortion, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being clean and 10 being BR00T4L, this goes to about a 7. You can get some nice distortion, but it lacks a certain crunch, if you know what I mean. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this, but I would rather not. This is not a gigging amp at all, it's perfect for practice though. The amp sometimes has a problem turning on, you need to turn it on without the cable in and then plug in after a minute or two or else I will start buzzing like mad. This has done it from day 1. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great match for any style. I have been playing for 4 years, this is my second guitar amp. First was some 10w Randall practice amplifier. I think this was worth the money. If this was stolen or lost, I would buy something much larger. Of course, I'm not looking for the same stuff I was looking for 2 years ago when I bought this. I love it's versatility. I hate the buzzing when turning on issue I talked about above. Favourite feature is the reverb, sounds great on a clean channel. Compared this to a Roland Microcube, liked this one better. I wish it had a beefier distortion. Overall this is a great amp for beginners ready to step up from their entry level combo pack amp, but don't want anything too big yet. // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: stickx n pickx, on february 16, 2009

Price paid: C$ 160

Purchased from: Guitar Academy

Features: Made in 2008, this amp is great for anyone Who likes to mess around with great distortion and 11 different effects. It has 4 channels and a headphone jack. I generally play heavier stuff but I like to Switch it up every once in a while. You will like this amp if you want a wide range of distortion. The amp can get a little confusing at first with all the controls and effects, but once you get the hang of it you will be pleased. I just use this amp to practice, and it's a fun little sound system. // 8

Sound: This amp suits my rock style, I usally play stuff like ACDC and Nickelback. I'm am using my Washburn OX with it and it makes my crappy guitar sound great. It can get a little noisy on some certain effects, and you could probably get better sounding effects if you got them seperate rather than built in. Effects like tremolo arn't quite strong enough if your not playing really quiet. But none the less, you still get what you pay for.Some of my favorite effects include tremolo, reverse, and octaver. The clean channel is very limited to the sound and I was a little disappointed. I also couldn't figure out why I kept getting distorting on the clean channel and I found out that you need to change the effects and the gains to a certain setting and it's annoying. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would probably use this for a gig. I would fear because mine is only 15 watts it might not be powerful enough, but a larger version would work great for a gig. This amp works fine, never had a problem with it, I would use it without a back-up. I wouldn't use the effects on it though because I would fear they wouldn't all sound the greatest, but otherwise, I would. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before; fits my music style great. I have been playing about a year and a half and this amp came at a perfect time for me cause I really needed to upgrade from my starter amp. If it was lost or stolen I would definatly replace it. I wish I would have asked them to show me how to work it. My advice: Get them to show you how to work all the settings, it can be quite the pain in the a$$ if you don't know what you're doing. My favorite part of the amp is the effects, no contest. // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: raging_nucleus, on april 15, 2009

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Lee's Music

Features: Well, for starters, it looks pretty cool, with the fancy colored lights and such. It comes with 12 different amp sounds programmed into it, each of which can be switched from clean to overdrive. It also has reverb controls, as well as pre and post gain controls, along with a whole mess of effects like tubescreamer, chorus, reverse, and (my personal favorite) the phaser. You can dial in and change these effects with the 'edit' mode. All this, with the added bonus of a tuner. It took me a few hours to play around with all the buttons and effects to get the right sound I need. The first time I dialed in the effects it saved them, but I don't know how to overwrite what I've already put down. I shouldn't need to, it has 4 different memory slots for your settings (I Have 1 channel on Mega-gain, 1 on Crunchy, and 1 on clean). The clean tones were a little hard to get at; you have to knock the pre gain down really low to avoid distortion. So really, for features, this amp has a lot of options. // 10

Sound: Right now I have a PRS SE EG with 2 single coils and a humbucker, tuned down to mostly D or even drop C. I'm mostly into rock and metal, and to this end, the amp suit's me very well. This is one loud amp. I was suprised I was hurting my ears and it was only on 5/13. This is easily the loudest 15W amp I have ever heard. This amp mostly excels at high-gain metal tones, and the 505 setting is the most high gain. I have found that I have never been able to coax a proper pinch harmonic out of my guitar with any other amp I own. I thought this was because I was doing it wrong, but with this amp my guitar squeals like a pig. The 505 setting and the JSX are kind of noisy, but I just dial back the gain a bit and it works okay. The clean tones are... Okay. But that's it. I've yet to find an amp that doesn't distort clean signals at high volume, but you really have to back off the gain to get a smooth clean tone. The effects are really cool. You get a nice watery chorus, a reverby slap back, an auto wah (which really isn't strong enough), a flanger, a tubescream, a phaser, a reverser, a tremelo, an octaver, a rotary speaker, and a few more but I havn't really used them much. The ones I want to talk about are the tubescream and the reverse. Everything else works fine but these ones I don't really like. The reverse can be fun to play around with, but it only samples about 2 or 3 seconds before it plays them, so big long reversed sustains are out of the question. The tubescream would works as an overdrive, but don't try using it on any setting other than a clean one. It amplifies any noise at all (and I mean any), so as soon as you go to play something you get a whole Shwack of feedback and string noise. I can't even play a good vibrato without unleashing a torrent of noise with that setting. The distortion is definately brutal. It can be a smooth tube growl or a raw solid-state bark. I mostly use the rec setting for low end rythms and the k-stein for a bright lead tone, but the distortion is definately this amp's strong point. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this for about 6 months, toting it back and forth between school and my house, I've dropped it once or twice, and it still works okay. Sometimes it wont turn on, or it just flashes green, but I just reboot it and it works fine. It has never crapped out on me while I'm playing, so I would definately use it on a gig. I've only ever gotten the volume meter to about 9/13 and then the bass rattles a lot. I'm not sure if this is because I dropped it or If a 15W wasn't meant to be that loud without consequence. // 7

Overall Impression: If you play anything from rock to metal, this amp definately kicks ass. I have been playing for about 2 years. The other gear I own consists of my dad's Gibson L6S, an old 1970somethin' Traynor and a Peavey blazer. I tried this out in the store, So I knew what I was getting into the moment I played it. If it were stolen, I would be choked, but I would definately buy another one. Maybe a 30W version with the stompbox effects. I love that it has such metal versatility, from harsh mid death tones to scooped thrashyness to classic crunch. I don't hate anything about this amp. It was a kind of hard to get a decent clean tone, but you can just save it. It may have benefited from a foot Switch, so you don't have to bend over and hit buttons on it all the time. This is a great amp. And I'm not just saying that. I also tried a Line 6 Spider that they had there but it didn't have nearly as many options. The spider may have more versatility (I mean across genres- blues, country, rock, metal), but I would still pick the Vypyr anyday. Overall, if you like to shred, this is one of the best practice amps for it. I would definately recommend this amp! // 8

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2011

Features: The amp features 12 different amp models with a clean and an overdriven option on all of the models. Each model is able to be tweaked with a 3-band EQ,pre and post gain,and reverb control. On top of those amp models you can add a "Rack" effect from the 12 customizable effects given on the amp. But with all of these options comes quite a learning curve. I have no problems with any of the amp models. They are all different and usefull. Though the effects arent as impressive with one i never even touch which is a Reverse effect. Fun to play with for five minuets but mostly useless. a looper instead of this would be nice(an option on the larger amps in this line). The 12 customizable presets, which are easy to set, help make a dumb effect easy look over. There is also an input to play along with favorite song and a headphone or recording output. Amps include: Effects include .twn .bypass .dlx .octover .plxi .phaser .brit .rotary .b-kat .reverse .classic .pitch shifter .XXX .flanger .jsx .slap back .6505 .env filter .rec .chorus .k-stein .tremolo .dzl .tube screamer A 9 due to learning curve and the reverse effect. // 9

Sound: The sound is very solid at both high and low volumes. The 8in spaeker does its job with no pops or rattles. All of the amp models sound great and the effects sound just as good with no annoying delay. With it being a solid state modeling amp the aps and effects have very nice analog sound. It just never sounds computerized. 10, quality and power make a nice team. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would have no problem bringing on a gig with no backup. Feels solid, even after a few tumbbles from the trunk of my car and the occasional friend who thinks it makes a good seat. I can't see any type of neglect hurting the amp either. 10, like they say the small guys are the toughest. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Hard rock and Heavy metal.But with this amp a have ventured into some RHCP and some Clapton and the amp followed right along with me. I can't see anyone not finding this amp versitile enough to play their own style. Its oppenent the Line 6 Spider IV is left in the dust on the features front. Though I am a little biased as I still use my Rage 158 which I have brought to hell and back. Ater this amp I am now a Peavey guy. And if anyone stole it I would have them hunted to get it back. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: Air_Stryker, on march 02, 2012

Purchased from: PMT

Features: I believe this amp was made 2009 in China. It's a solid state modelling amplifier, best suited for bedroom practice, and just jamming around. If features 12 "clean" amp models, and with the push of a button, the same 12 models can be overdriven. Although on the clean setting, half the models sound like amps on a mid-gain crunch setting, and half are properly clean. When switched to overdrive, the mid-gain amps go to a highly over driven/distorted lead channel, and the clean amps go into a crunchy rhythm setting. I also has 12 built in fully customizable effects, including tremolo, phaser and pitch shifter. I personally find the pitch shifter very useful, as it allows me to de tune my guitars from E/drop D down about four semitones to C/drop A#. Not entirely necessary for a fixed bridge guitar, but it's a damn godsend for a Floyd Rose style bridge. There's not a whole lot else you could ask for a 95 bedroom practice amp/modelling. Personally I only use about four of the available 24 amp settings, and 3 of the effects, but I feel confident this amp could achieve roughly any tone your after. Obviously it's not going to turn heads like a 1500 head + cab setup, but that's not what it's for. Features are definitely worth a ten. // 10

Sound: I play this usually with me LTD EC1000 fitted with EMG 81 (B) and 60 (N). Admittedly my musical tastes are somewhat limited. I prefer metal to everything else, playing things like; Metallica, Pantera and Machine Head. It manages those with ease no doubt. Otherwise I use my Gibson Les Paul Studio with Burstbuckers to play more classic rock like AC/DC or Van Halen and punk rock like Green Day and The Offspring. These kinds of tones are still no challenge for this amp. I occasionally use the clean channel for playing songs like "Nothing Else Matters", "The Call Of Ktulu" (Metallica) and "Darkness Within" (Machine Head) and it holds it's ground. It's nothing special, I do get the feeling that although this is a modelling amp built to cope with anything, the main thing Peavey had in mind was Metal. In summary it'll work really well for metal tones, anything else it can certainly manage, but it won't amaze. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this amp for about a year and a half, and have never had any reliability issues with it, so I'd say it's excellent. However, I solely use it as a practice amp; since I got it it has never left my bedroom, it's not made for gigging and so I don't think I should rate it any higher than an eight. // 8

Overall Impression: To summarize this is an outstanding practice amp for it's price, it has a plethora of amp models and effects that definitely outweigh it's rivals, such as the Line 6 Spider. As said before, it can manage pretty much any tone, but only really excels at hard rock and metal. It seems reliable enough as a practice amp, I've never had any problems with it. My favourite feature for this amp is definitely the pitch shifter, which I find very useful if ever I'm using my Ibanez RGD320, or my Washburn Dime 333. If someone did steal it, or it was broken in some tragic accident, I'd definitely replace it with another one. There's nothing I can think this amp needs that it doesn't already have, other than perhaps a foot-switch for changing between the clean and over-driven channels. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: JesusCrisp, on july 23, 2009

Price paid: € 119

Features: It is a very versatile solid state modelling amp, it can do pretty many sounds, but it's more designed for metal-sounds. It has got 24 amp models (7 clean-, 5 crunch- and 12 Drive-models), 11 effects (Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, Phaser, Pitch Shifter, Octaver, EnvFilter, TubeScreamer, Rotary Speaker, Slap Back, Reverse) each with 2 editable parameters + Delay (with tap tempo button) and Reverb. It has an EQ with low, mid, high, pre and post gain and a master volume knob. You can save up to 12 settings. It is loud enough and the distortion is brutal enough for what I play (Metallica, Slayer, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ZZ Top, RATM ...). I only use it for practising (also it's my first and only amp at the moment). I miss the additional effects which are only available on the 30W and higher versions and the Pantera footswitch compatibility. So I can't really use the effects and can't Switch between the amp-models dynamically. // 7

Sound: I am using an Epiphone SG Special at the moment, which is a very cheao guitar. The sound of the Vypyr doesn't always fit my style as it has too much distortion, and if you turn down the gain it sounds choked. The volume can also be a problem on the distorted amp models: On very low volumes it doesn't sound good and if it's cranked up, the high frequences sound terrible. It is generally really loud, you just have to set the volume to 2-3 for practising in a room. Another problem is the EQ. Some amp models like the 6250 or Rec are too bassy in my opinion. I just can't get a clear tone out of them, if I don't turn up the highs fully, and then I get problems with some terrible high sounds. Also the lower-gain distortion and crunch models sound choked and don't have enough sustain. So I don't even use most of the channels. The clean sounds are ok and don't distort on the volumes I use.

But a big problem is that the amp begins to rattle if I play palm mutings and deeper tones on the low E and A string on high gain, much bass in the EQ and higher volumes. This really messes up the sound, most of all the cleans. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Its reliable and never broke down in the 6 months I have been using it. I wouldn't use it for gigs though due to its sounds and the lack of a footswitch. The problems are that it's rattling and that the panel is wacky and I haven't found a way to fix those 2 problems. // 8

Overall Impression: I got this amp when I had not much knowledge about guitars and amps and was blinded by the big amount of amp-models and effects which I only play around with. I wish I would have tried out more amps before I bought this. It doesn't fit my style well, as the most songs I play are from guitarists Who use Marshalls. I wouldn't buy it again if it broke or got lost/stolen, I would save up money for a tube amp. There's not much I love about this amp, but it's the only amp I have at the moment (besides a Marshall MS-2). The only amps I compared it with were the Line 6 Spider III which some of my friends own. I nearly bought the Spider, but I think I did better with the Vypyr.

I wish it had better lower and mid-gain amp models, compatibility with a footswitch, more useful effects like Wah and no rattling. Anyways it's a cheap amp and you get what you pay for. // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2009

Purchased from: Ziegler's Music, Baton Rouge

Features: This review is for the Peavey Vypyr 15, the lowest priced version of the Vypyr lineup. 15 watts of solid state power through an 8" driver. Not going to repeat info from previous reviews... features, specs, etc... there's plenty available already. So I'll focus on what it is about this lil' amp that I personally like.

First... the "price-to-sound" ratio is excellent, this lil' sucker packs enough amp models to satisfy most guitarist. That's especially true considering this is considered a practice amp. I've found about 4-5 amp models that I really like and find useful, the rest are just a bonus.

Have yet to try the headphone/record jack, so can't support the claim that the output simulates a real cabinet. Instead I close mic it with good results. It's a fairly clean amp with decent tone for a small driver and cab combo.

I just wish they would have given this model the option to support the pedals/switches they offer for the other Vypyrs, it's a pain to find the saved sound you desire with the tiny buttons and awkward labeling. // 8

Sound: I am currently using a MusicMan SUB with dual humbuckers, between the guitar and this amp sometimes there are too many choices for tone/sound. The clean versions of the Deluxe and Tweed amps are great, not too much coloration and an accurate reproduction of those classics. The other "high gain" amps in clean or over-Drive are also faithful recreations, even down to the amp noise bed... Humming away like a warmed up Plexi. This amp has plenty of power for my uses... Practice and recording, and way more distortion than I'd ever need. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state and it's a Peavey... Personally I've never had any problems with any of their products. So for me just based on the brand I'd expect this lil' amp to continue crankin' for many years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many different types/styles of music and by itself this amp does the job admirably. What even more sounds/tones, just plug in your favorite pedal(s)/stompbox(es). Like the amp models, some of the effects are quit useful... While others are just novelty. I was sold when I heard the backwards effect in the store, but it's really not too useful for me. I don't think the tuner is very accurate, I get better results with other tuners or my own ears. The "idiot lights" are fun, but they are also useful in seeing your settings at a glance. Not quit sure about the Post Gain control, even the guys at The Music store couldn't explain that one. Overall a solid amp, reasonable price and good tone... Just wish I would have gotten one of the larger models for the option of foot pedals/switches and the USB output. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: kingbobby83, on august 06, 2009

Purchased from: Mundt Music

Features: This amp is a very new model. I was skeptical at first, but when I got it home, WOW! This little amp does everything you can imagine. From soft country to the heaviest metal. It has more settings and channels than I can remember. The only thing I would recommend is to get the 30watt or bigger so you can get the pedal board made for it and run loops and change channels without stopping. A few models have the tubes but all in all this little 15 watt amp is a awesome at home practice amp. Great for simple recording to practice licks with. Highly recommend... // 9

Sound: I have played a Gibson SG to my little cheap peice of crap. Everything I have hooked to it has sounded great. I play several styles of musiic and it covers it all. Great sound from that little speaker. True Peavey sound. The only problem as far as sound goes is when you have a cellphone on top it does ring through the speaker by interfearance. That could be a good thing.. Lol // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is built like any other practice amp. I would not gig or take to a band practice but to sit at home for those inbetween practices. It works just fine.It gets a 5 ( it is a practice amp, not very sturdy.) When I first got it it did rattle when I turned it past 6 but all that was was a few loose screws holing the logo.. Few tuens of a screw driver and wa-la perfect. // 5

Overall Impression: I would recommend this to anyone Who needs it all but don't want to buy it all this amp Litteraly has everything built in. I checked it side by side to the ZRoland Cube and the cube was a little louder but this has alot better effect and they are analog so it is a real sound. I have been playing for 18 years and this little guy is way past due. I have plans on buying the big brother for gigs and show. Check it out you won't be let down. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: metaldud536, on september 29, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Wow. Where to start? Let me just say I was using a Marshall MG10CD for 2 years with a DigiTech RP50 before buying this amp. For $30 more, this amp blows the MG10CD out of the water.

The Vypyr comes with 12 amp presets, each one having a clean and distorted channel, 11 effects including a seperate control for delay and reverb making it 13 effects. It also comes with a gain knob (pre-gain) and an equalizer for your lows, mids, and highs, and a preset volume knob (post gain) and a master volume knob. In addition it comes with an auxillary input and a 3.35mm(1/8") headphone/recording input and storage for up to 12 of your own custom presets.

The only thing I wish it had was a USB input for easier recording. Also, for a 15 watt amp, this thing is LOUD. But not a problem as seeing as you can pretty much keep it at very low volumes by adjusting the post-gain levels or playing with headphones/earbuds.

It also has a cool but cheesy Christmas light show going on on the front panel if you turn it on without your guitar plugged in. // 10

Sound: So far I've played this amp through my Ibanez RG321MH with 2 humbuckers and I'm loving it. I play several different styles, mainly metal and it suits metal quite well.

The amp shakes my floor even at low volumes. It has powerful bass and I find the need to adjust the settings of most of the distorted channel presets. I dare not turn the master volume up to 2 for fear of my head exploding.

Overall the distortions are great. Obviously you can't expect tube quality sounds from a 15 watt modeling amp but for it's price it's one hell of an amp. I find the reverb and delay effects quite nice. However it seems every setting on the distorted models has some level of delay and reverb put in so it's a bit of a pain to have to turn it down or off everytime I Switch models unless I save it as a preset.

I've tried this amp also with my DigiTech RP50 (effects pedal) and the quality of pedal sounds a lot nicer on this amp than my Marshall MG. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As a practice amp I'm sure this thing will last me quite a while. I've only had it for one day before writing this review. The speaker is completely exposed in the back unlike my Marshall MG. I'm gonna give it a 7 in the reliability & durability area since I've only had it for 2 days. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great amp for practicing in your bedroom and for beginners. It destroys my Marshall MG. I recommend this amp to anyone who is looking for something with hi-gain tones without having to dish out a lot of cash. It's got a lot of nice sounding amp models and effects and the ability to adujts these effects will keep you entertained. Being able to save up to 12 of your own presets is a big plus.

One of my favorite features is the 3.35mm headphone input. My Marshall had a 1/4" headphone jack so being able to use your standard headphones or earbuds means now I can play all night but I'm sure most modern amps have this feature as standard. // 8

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: Vampire_Prince, on march 29, 2010

Purchased from: Byrds music

Features: I got this amp for Christmas last year and it owns! I don't know when it was made, but its amazing, its (as you should know) the new digital modeling amplifier technology from Peavey with 'four times more processing power than the other most advanced digital modeling amps out at the time'. But it keeps its not-so-digital sound due to the analogue way in which its wired.

It has 12 preset amp models (each with a normal channel and a gain boost channel), 12 effects to use (11 really, but the bypass 'effect' counts apparently) plus all the standard controls like treble, mid, and bass. Each effect has two adjustable parameters to it which can be edited by pushing the effects dial, there's also a headphone input/line-out jack, and an auxiliary input.

For a 15 watt, this amp is LOUD it competes with my friends drum kit quite well anyway... They say its meant to out-do the line6 spider series, and its safe to say that Peavey have had great success in that area. // 10

Sound: I'm using a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock and an Ibanez GRG150 and they sound heavenly.

Its hard to say if this amp suits my style or not, considering it has a model for pretty much any style, and if it doesn't, that can be easily fixed with some tweaking of dials. Some say the clean channels are lacking in some respects, and I must agree, they distort at higher volumes quite easily, so its obvious this amp is designed for the younger generation who like it loud and crunchy.

I play anything from punk to metal, and my favorite settings are the k-stein with gain boost or the 6505 with gain boost, these settings are brutal by themselves, but with a bit more tweaking, they get even better!

The only thing I really dislike about it is the fact that it can't go past the halfway mark on the volume without it starting to distort badly, clean or not... // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a bit controversial, because its almost completely digital, its obviously going to be more fragile, (remember, there's a small computer inside it!) but its still pretty sturdy, mines only fallen over once so far, and it still works fine, but it doesn't seem like the kind of amp that will be able to take a big beating.

I probably wouldn't use it at a gig due to its size, but if it were larger, (or I had it micked) I would definitely depend on it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, but this amp would be a good match for anyone who's into music with loud distorted guitar parts.

Note: if your buying this amp, either read the manual fully or get the guy your buying it from to give you a demo as all the dials and buttons and flashing lights will confuse the crap outta you at first.

I had the choice of this amp, or a 15 watt line6 spider, this one costed a bit more than the line6, but had so much more on it, and sounded a hell of a lot better, so I'm happy with my decision. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2010

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Ok heres whats up. I purchesed this at guitar center for 100 us dollars. I'm not for sure when it was made but probably fairly recently as I bought it new. I play heavy metal and hard rock, and this amp is pretty goog for that, all though it is pretty versitial. It has 24 amp challens I belive, 12 but each has a clean and gain setting so I can venture in to cleaner tone is I wish. It has a ton of effects, which is fun to mess with.Regular headphone jack. I generally use this when go some where with my guitar or just in my room, and for 15 watts, its pretty loud. whish there was better gain... // 8

Sound: I petty much just use my Telle with a humbucker (sorry don't know the name)in the bridge and a stardard single coil in the neck. I can get some decent tones from it. There is alot of feed back though when using gain. The gain is alright but could be better. But pedals and effects can help. It can't coompare to tube or stack but for a 15 wat combo whos complaining? // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't think I gig whith this. I'd just grab the bugera. But I'd use for garage play though. hasn't broken down, but then again I don't really abuse it too much. I've bad times with peaveys befor, so I don't know how long it will last. I did have one bad time with were for what ever reason it wouldn't turn on, had to flip Switch to get to come on, don't know if it was just me or not. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all you get what you pay for. For metal and rock, hell anything really, you'd be fine. For a combo I think its one of the best in the price rage. I own other amps, (tubes), and I play them more than this. But it's it perfect for just hagning out and playing. I probably wouldn't replace it if were lost. Its defently better that the Line 6 though. I love the size of it and the punch, but the tone is that great. So you get what you pay for, if your starting out or want somthing cheap and small I'd go with this. // 8

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: twistedsista521, on august 12, 2010

Features: Made sometime in the last few years. It is extremely verstile but you know its a modeling amp thats what they are for. 2 Channel. I use it at my house, and it has enough power for that but for no more than practicing. It has 11 editable rack effects. Post gain, pre gain low mid high knobs. Headphone jack. Aux output (good stereo it is). // 8

Sound: I play it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with alnico classics and it sounds very good for a 100 dollar amp. It is noisy when you have high level distortion on, and especially if you put on the tubescreamer. The distortions pretty good, not good enough for death metal, but thats okay because I only play anything from acdc to twisted sister. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty dependable, although sometimes when you turn it on the settings are completely wrong (you can save up to four with the amp. And its not the toughest thing in the world, although if it droped I'm pretty sure it'd be fine. I wouldn't bring it to a gig without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier I play anything from acdc to twisted sister. If I lost it I would buy something else (hoping to get a jet city JCA20H Half Stack soon!) I compared it to the Line 6 spider 4 of the same wattage, and compared to that thing, this thing rules. I wish it had more power than 15 watts, and that it was tube instead of solid state. Although if you just need a practice amp and an ipod player, this thing is perfect! // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: Tyler.Allain, on february 02, 2011

Features: I believe this amp was made sometime in 2008 or 2009. The amp is only 15 watts so I use it as a bedroom practice amp. Has 12 channels each able to store an amp emulation, eq settings, an effect of your choice, and reverb (or none). Has an emulated headphone jack/recording out. Never use it so I can't comment on the quality. The amp can pretty much do anything moderately well if you spend the time to find the right settings for your particular need. Pretty darn good solid state amp due to the versatility. I give it a nine for features simply because it can't run multiple effects at once unless one of those effects is reverb. // 9

Sound: I play though this thing with an array of different guitars. It will suit any musical style if paired with the right guitar and dialed in to the right settings. Through the speaker you can hear a tiny amount of noise. Can't tell if it's radio interference or what it is. You literally have to put your head to the speaker to hear it though. Not a big deal. It's solid state so it runs the cleans clean and the distortion is consistent throughout volume selection. Doesn't sweeten up as the volume increases like a tube amplifier. If the distortions on the emulated amps didn't sound a little harsh and sterile I would give it a better score. Also the effects are fun to play with but some of them are useless to me. The octavizer and the pitch shifter are fun but have no real use to most guitar players. Across the board the effects sound good nonetheless. I give it an eight. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Its very light and the grill is prone to being dented and stretched by the smallest amount of pressure, but other than that it is well built. The pots don't come loose or anything and it has never failed on me. Pretty solid amp. Serves it's purpose as I don't foresee ever using it at a gig. I give it a nine. // 9

Overall Impression: I wish the emulated amp's distortion settings had more detail than just differences in base EQ. If you tried you could use the EQ on the amplifier to make two different amps sound exactly the same. Wish I could run more than one effect at a time without the second effect having to be reverb. If it were lost or stolen I might buy a new one but I would consider a Roland Cube first. I love it's versatility though and that is what is most important to me in a practice amp. It should be able to do everything pretty well and it does. It's a great amp regardless of the few small problems I have with it. Definately one of the best solid-state amps you can buy. It gets a 9 overall. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: Khaosdogg, on february 21, 2011

Price paid: € 127

Purchased from: Stanford Music

Features: A solid state modelling amp with 12 amp settings, each can be clean and overdriven. Amp also features 11 rack effects, delay and reverb, an on-board tuner, tap temp and master volume. Also an auxiliary input and an input for headphones or record out. Amp also has 12 presets channels. Now if there was some sort of way to Switch between the channels quickly like a foot pedal (mine is a 15 watt so the Sanpera II cannot be used on it), that would be great. I'd also like to point out that the Reverse effect is useless.

It's also quite a loud amplifier, mainly playing at home, I can't crank it up over 1 (out of 13) just because it being so loud. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Squier Bullet Start and quite frankly, even this low end guitar sounds great. I mostly play metal, rock, sometimes jazz and blues. The clean sound nice and don't even let me get started on the distortion! I can get any sort of sound imaginable out of this (well, almost). Tried a more expensive Ibanez with it and my god did it sound wonderful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd wouldn't actually want to gig with it for one simple error: after it's been turned off, it cannot be turned on for another 15 minutes. I have not idea what the problem might be. Otherwise there seem to be no problems with it, had accidentally knocked it into a wall and it stayed scratchless. // 5

Overall Impression: This is a perfect amplifier for any sort of music style, perfect for a beginner and even for an advanced player. If it were to be stolen, I would maybe buy the 30 watt so I could use the foot pedal, but other than that, I would buy an amp out of the series again. I compared this to a Line6 Spider IV and the Spider sounded crap compared to this. Money well spent! // 10

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: JL_Shredder, on september 30, 2011

Purchased from: C.A. House Music

Features: I own a 2010 model of this amp. I recently purchased it as a practice amp (hauling my Valveking between rehearsals/shows and my house isn't exactly the easiest thing to do). For a 15 watt amplifier, this amp really can't be beaten. Having compared similar modeling amplifiers by Roland and Line 6, the Vypyr was the clear winner of that comparison test. It comes loaded with some pretty nice effects and amp models (especially for a 15 watt combo). After taking it to rehearsal one day just to play around with it, I found that, in true Peavey fashion, that it was actually loud enough to be heard over the drummer (who beats those drums very hard). Most solid state amps tend to get really muddy when used at full volume, but this amp stays fairly clean throughout it's volume range. // 10

Sound: I am using this amp with my Kramer Striker 211 custom with a Seymour Duncan JB model Trembucker in the bridge. It works very well for many different styles. The clean tones are spectacular, and the distorted tones have the perfect balance of good tone and response required for my neoclassical guitar playing. Unless you pump an unholy amount of overdrive combined with the amp's on-board Tube Screamer effect, this amp stays incredibly quiet. Being a tone freak, any practice amp that I'd use needs to have good tone, and Peavey has delivered yet again. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being made by Peavey, this amp is highly durable. If some natural disaster caused my Valveking to stop working, this amp could probably handle as small club gig. Being fairly new, this amp has yet to even have one problem (unlike my old Behringer GMX 210, which had to be serviced 3 times due to the cheap parts that the company uses). Peavey on the other hand uses high quality materials, and I've never known someone who owned a Peavey to have any problems with reliability. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing anything from folk music, blues, and rock to neoclassical shred, and even Cannibal Corpse style death metal in a friend's band, this amp delivers the necessary tones for writing any kind of song. Having been a guitarist for nearly 15 years (started at the age of four), I can say that this really beats everything but my Valveking half stack. If I suddenly lost this amp, I'd go right back and buy another one (finances permitting of course). There is so much to love about this amp, and not really much to dislike at all. As far as features go, I'd have to say that the versatility offered by their amp modeling system would be the absolute best feature if I had to pick one. Again, this amp was compared to similar units made by Line 6 and Roland, and the competition wasn't all that intense. Roland came in 2nd and Line 6 was left in the dust by Peavey's mastery over the world of amplification. Overall, this is a great amp. If you're a new player, I'd highly recommend it as a starter amp. If you're a seasoned musician that needs a highly portable and versatile practice amp, I'd recommend it for that too. If you have any need for a 15 watt amp, this amp is the one for you! // 10

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: eLeCtRoFrEaK, on january 16, 2012

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This solid state amp has 12 amp and effects sounds and is a one channel amp. It is lacking a lot of features that an average guitarist may need; mainly reverb and delay. I play my amp mostly home, but I have played in bigger areas such as schools and small outdoor activities. The volume on this amp only goes up to 13 but it is good enough for me due to the small gigs I play. // 7

Sound: I play Heavy Metal and this amp is not in any way ready for it. It comes with 12 effects, 12 amp sounds, and 4 presets which you can save sounds to. I'm using a standard strat guitar with it and the original pickups. This amp is very scracthy when it is at low volume, however when it is turn up a bit it has a decent sound. The distortions on it aren't that good either. I suggest you save more money and invest in a better amp! // 6

Reliability & Durability: First I'll start off by just saying that this amp is not an amp to rely on at all. I've only had it a year and it went bad already. I never overpowered the amp or used it for long periods of times; maybe 3 hours but not straight, and it still gets pretty hot. I would never again take this amp anywhere else than a band practice. The amp also looks very ugly in the back; it's speaker and amp is exposed with no cover. It is light weight but still not worth the money! // 5

Overall Impression: Overall if you are a Metal player who like bands such as Metallica, Slipknot, Disturbed, Children Of Bodom, Slayer; or any other bands that play various tuning. This amp is not anywhere near close to what you should consider buying. I've been playing guitar for a year now and I would say I'm pretty good. I use this amp with a BOSS DS-1 or sometimes my Boss ME-25; yes I am a Boss fan! I would never again purchase a Peavey amp unless it's the Valve King half stack. I don't love anything about it; maybe I like the lightness of it but most average practice amps are light weight. I wish I had the chance to buy a amp over instead of this Peavey Vypyr 15 watt model! Save you money and invest in another amp! // 7

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 31, 2012

Purchased from: GC

Features: Not sure what year it was made. I play blues, 80s metal, and some modern metal. This amp has at least 3 models for each of my styles. It has 12 channels, and the ability to save 12 different settings makes it easy to switch for each style in no time. I'm never let wanting for more effects or some other feature, but I don't really use many effects other than the env filter, or autowah, the chorus, the flanger, and the tube screamer. I use this amp in my living room, and it has plenty of power, and the distortion levels don't really change as the volume does. // 9

Sound: I play a squire Strat with stock single coils, and after I solved the p-up buzz problem, it sounds nice and clear. It suits my style very well, which is mostly Judas Priest type stuff, and its enough guitar for me. If you have the amp on a high volume and If you use certain amp models, you can get a good bit of feedback. The Clean channels stay clean at high volumes, if you are on a clean channel. There are distorted and clean channels for all amp models. The distortion on the Mesa Boogie Rectifier is faithful to the real rectifier, and is a favorite by a good amount of metal guitarists. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any problems with it, but I've only had it about 3 months. I would use on a gig, but only a small one, since it's still a 15 watt amp. It has never broken down, I just flip the switch, and it turns on. No problems what'soever with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a good match for almost any style, except if you play only acoustic. It's hard to get a good clean channel and a good distorted channel in the same amp, but this is as good as it comes. I would definitely replace it if lost or stolen. If I had a few more bucks then I would get the 30 watt version, but if not the 15 is still amazing. I love almost everything about it, and I don't hate anything about it. I played it back to back with a Line 6 Spider, and this blows it away. The spider does somethings well, but the Vypyr does almost everything excellent. The only thing I wish it had is the rack effects option so I could run tube scream and autowah at the same time. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: littleknarfy, on may 01, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp is so fun and its just a great little amp. Features and knobs can be annoying until you remember all the functions and know what's what. It is lacking from its bigger brothers and is the very basic form of the "Vypyrs". It lacks the midi cable, it lacks the additional effects knob, and it lacks a decent speaker. It has 3 channels each with 4 additional presets to save all of your setups. // 8

Sound: The sound of this is moderate, it can handle good quality distortion and nice cleans. This speaker sucks its tiny and it just sucks, great for practicing but it can not beat drums. I play mainly heavy metal and thrash metal, you can get other sounds as well with this amp. I play this amp with a Ibanez RG3EXFM1 with d activators installed into this guitar. The amp has nice distortion I love the rectifier, has the best tone and is just better sounding than the 6505. If you don't believe me put the rectifier on red and put the low and high knob all the way up and then put mids to 0 or just 2 both are good. This is one of the best metal sounds that this amp can make and my all time favorite. The pickups add an aggressive sound and it works well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable, and with all electronics, just don't get it wet with water of course. Its also solid state so it should last for a long time, I have had mine for 3 years still works well, but I modified it. Hooked it up with a 12 inch speaker and turned it into a beast version of the 15watt. You could just hook this up to a 4x12 cab or something similar and it would be amazing. So you shouldn't gig with this unless you have it modified with a bigger speaker or make it have a cable out. So it is possible. You could try to gig with this with the 8 inch speaker, but it would be close to dying afterward, mine started loosing tone and clarity at like 4 and it can go up to 13... Not good. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a fun/beginner amp, it can be easily modified, just look some stuff up, you could simply by a 12 inch speaker and rebuild it, or just buy a 4x12 cab and turn the 15 watt into a head. that's one of things I love about this amp, its really amazing for 100 dollars, fun to mess with, but if it got stolen, I would probably just buy the 30 watt cause that is the 15 pretty much souped up. And its a lot better than the 15 with the midi out and the additional effects and it has a 12 inch speaker. I highly recommend this amp for practice sessions and if you are a beginner. It is a decent and very fun amp to modify! // 8

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: ferdius, on march 05, 2014

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: To start, this is a modelling amp from Peavey, the 15 watt basic one and that being said, for a 15 watt practice amp this thing is loaded. It models several amps from Brit (read Vox) to Plexi (read Marshall) to fenders and rectos as well as some Peavey models. This amp also features several rack effects on it (being the basic model, it doesn't have the "stompbox" list save for the tubescreamer which they put on the rack effect for this amp. It is 15 watts, with a 8 inch speaker, and for a practice amp, it has tremelo, reverb, slap back and a bunch of other effects. For a practice amp, this is impressive. // 10

Sound: Okay, the 8 inch speaker does limit some of the sounds, that being said, this amp is quite impressive. The "classic" and "brit" as well as the "plexi" give very good classic rock sounds. Now I'm not saying they sound like the real thing, this being a solid state amp, but the distortion sounds are crisp, and you can really adjust the tone. The dlx setting on clean is WOW, good Fender type tone, and the brit is impressive on clean also. One of the models is the Peavey 5105 or whatever the number is, a metal amp and this one gives a pretty good simulation of it if that is your style. Again, this is a practice amp, I only bought it cause it was 35 bucks, but I am impressed to the point that I would like to hear the new VIP II (40 watt) amp. I have seen some Vypyr 75 watt amps for sale used and if this one is any indication, it would be worth serious consideration if the price is good. I haven't really done a lot with the effects as I'm not the biggest effects user, but from what I have tried, I can see someone making good use of this. Now, this being the 15 watt practice model, you don't have the option of the footswitch so you are limited. I give it a 7, but only cause it is a practice amp, but a great one, but you are limited. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The amp looks impressive, but truthfully, it is not like the old Peaveys in that it is not built like a tank, plastic corners and my impression is that you can't just throw it around, i.e.: be careful, this could get damaged if handled roughly. As with most modern amps, it has a lot of plastic on it, and truth be told, it looks good, but you can see that you have to be careful. Unlike the old amps, and the classic series or some of their other high end models, this one is made in China. New, the prices on these are impressive, but without the foot switch, which is pricey, you do have some limitations. Unfortunately, most amps are made in China now, unless you start going into boutique or read (expensive) amps, but Peavey is an established company with a good reputation, so I feel confident that they would stand behind this product. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is very high. For a practice amp, it offers a whole lot, especially in the tone department. It is on par with most amps in its wattage rating as far as price goes, so for in room or back room practicing, this amps fits the bill very well, and for a beginner or one who has been playing for a short bit, this amp will give them the tones that they are trying to play. I am giving a high rating on this as for what it is, it does it great. By the way, I have owned a Line 6 modelling amp, and this one blows it out of the water as far as sound and tone goes, especially the distortion. // 9

Vypyr 15 Reviewed by: tmr4891, on april 28, 2014

Purchased from: Online

Features: 5 watts (rms) - One 8" custom voiced modeling speaker - Four channels - WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) technology - True analog distortion - Tap tempo switch - 24 amp channel models - 11 editable "Rack" effects - Dual parameter FX control - 12 Onboard programmable presets - Up to three FX simultaneously - 32-bit floating point Sharc processor - Patented TransTube(r) technology - Studio quality headphone out - MP3/CD/Aux input

Not much else to say here, plenty of effects to get your knowledge on. At this price point, hard to beat the feature list on this guy, but truth be told this was a rough draft for their current line of Vypyr (the VIP series). Still, a lot of fun to mess around with, and okay for amature recording. // 7

Sound: This is going to be the huge point of debate for so many years, but you can get completely usable sound out of this amp. You have to learn to tinker with settings and really commit yourself to getting the most out of it. The reality of this amp is it's a practice amp. You're not going to lug it to a show and mic it up to the PA and proudly jam out unless you're doing a cousins birthday party.

That said, comparing it to other practice amps, this one is a solid win, with modern amps in this range you now have to compete with the new series Vypyrs, the Fender Mustangs, Line 6 and their incarnation, and a slew of other folks on the modeling bandwagon. Comparing it with all the modern amps, it's going to boil down to a matter of personal taste. I love the cleans I get from this to this day, but more often than not, it's a struggle to find a legitimately enjoyable distortion. The effects though, are a huge factor here, and they really did a great job on the reverb and delay, as well as the phaser, flanger, chorus, and a handful of others. They're not rack mount quality, but they are awesome to play around with.

So sound wise, it can cover a lot of ground, and you can fiddle with it to get decent distortion, but it's not at all a stage worthy amp, and I wouldn't use it in a serious recording setup. For a practice amp, which is what it's designed for, it's great though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had mine for something like 4 years now, and it's been abused quite nicely. I'm missing knobs and all that and it still works like it always did. The knobs are my fault, I misplaced them, but they are seriously some cheapo looking knobs. The LED lights on it are all still fully functional, the editing functions are all still fine, and really, not much has changed. The actual box is still in peak condition, and hasn't suffered at all through several moves, and it really hasn't been treated too kindly.

So long story short, it's really solidly built, but I'd never take this to a show seriously. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I'd have to say that it was totally worth the investment. I needed to get a better grasp of effects and what they do, and I wanted something I could cover a lot of ground with and this delivered once I learned it. I can loosely get the sound I want for metal, and cleans wise I can get pretty close to anything I'm after. These days I'd take any of the VIP series over this easily, as they're really figuring out modeling well enough so all us poor folks can have some admirable tone. This is always going to be a stand up practice amp for me though.

I've played 11 years, I've had a Valveking 212, played around with the 5152 in a band for a while, had a Crate, etc. This one didn't quite have the distortion down, but I'd say for damn sure they tried, and it's a good A for effort. It's just a reality that it fell short on that aspect. It's outdated, but for it's time, it was a nice amp. Nowadays you'd better check out the VIP line, the Fender Mustang line, Roland Cube, and Line 6 looooong before you come to this guy. Compare it, and you won't be picking this.

At this point I wouldn't bother replacing it if it were lost or stolen, but it is a staple in my rig for practicing and I would miss it. I love the versatility, not fond of the distortion, and my favorite feature has got to be the delay. They really hit a home run with the delay. I compared it mostly to the Line 6's of that time, and sided with this as I've had good experiences with Peavey up to that point. This certainly didn't change that. If I could add something to it, it'd definitely be better distortion modeling as that would have really made it a 5 star product. Unfortunately in my book it's going to have to settle for 3 and a half. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Triple XXX Head 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 12/08/2014