Windsor Head Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 01/11/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Windsor Head
The Windsor is a single-channel, 120-watt, all-tube amplifier voiced to classic British rock guitar tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Features: 7.7
 8.5
 8.8
 8.1
reviews (10) pictures (2) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Windsor Head Reviewed by: Unskathed, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is a scratch and dent Peavey Windsor 100W all tube head. It was made in 2006. The amp has one channel and one effects loop. The front panel, left to right, consists of: high gain input, low gain input (padded -10db), preamp volume (gain), bass, middle, treble, boost Switch, effects loop jacks, master volume, presence, resonance, standby Switch, and then the power Switch. The amp comes stock with 4 matched EL34 Ruby poweramp tubes, 2 JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 1 JJ 12AX7 driver tube. The boost feature adds a boost to the volume and boosts the mids, it's perfect for situations like soloing, or when one guitarist is playing alone for a bit. The Texture control phases out half of the power stage and makes the amp operate as a Class A amp. Obviously, the two main features this camp could use are reverb and a clean channel, but for 305 (400USD Brand New) it is an absolute steal. Don't let my 5/10 deter you, it's low because the amp is low on features. // 5

Sound: My signal chain goes as follows: Washburn WG587 (stock pups) > DigiTech Bad Monkey OD pedal > Peavey Windsor high gain input > Mosh Audio 2x12 bass cabinet. The reason why I'm using a bass cabinet is because I think it helps to get the mud out of the low B on a 7 string guitar. I play thrash metal and just straight up heavy metal. Anything from 3 Inches Of Blood to Iron Maiden, or old Metallica to Sanctity and Municipal Waste. I also like to break out some bluesy or southern rock-esque licks. Without the Bad Monkey, the Windsor can easily do Iron Maiden, old Metallica, Judas Priest and it could also cover the likes of Nickelback, 3 Days Grace, Demiricous, and 3 Inches Of Blood. There is more than enough gain, but to get tones of newer bands (Sanctity, Municipal Waste, Unearth, etc.) you have to use something to modernize the tone. I chose an OD pedal, but an EQ pedal would probably have just as much benefit. The noise is only factor at higher gain settings and if you are close to the amp itself. With proper room the noise would be a minor problem. The amp excels at one thing, and one thing only, high voltage heavy music. Sparkling cleans are impossible to achieve at gigging volumes. Versatility is not what this amp was made for. Roll back the volume and you get some sweet, crunchy blues tones. This amp is 100W of all tube fury, so obviously it's loud enough for large venues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp hasn't broke yet. It feels extremely sturdy and weighs about 60 pounds. I would gladly use it at a gig without a backup. I've tried halving the power section by removing the outer two power tubes and then switching the amp up to 16 ohms and it worked just fine. The metal grille protecting the tubes is really strong, and the tolex is very well done. The knobs feel extremely sturdy and the input jacks are tight. // 10

Overall Impression: Like stated early, I play thrash and heavy metal. This amp suits my tastes perfectly. If you're looking for that grinding death metal tone, then maybe saving for a nice SS amp or a 5150 is your best bet, if you just want really crunchy, balls to the wall gain, this amp is your best candidate for 400USD. I have been playing bass for 7 years and guitar for 5. I have owned several guitars and a lot of mediocre modeling amps. However, I have played Mesas, Marshalls, Kranks, higher-end Peaveys, and Fenders, and honestly, the Windsor can hold its own. If it was lost or stolen, I would try to save up for a better amp, but if I was tight on cash I'd definitely pick up another Windsor. When I was amp searching, I compared this to a B-52 ST60 and a Peavey Valveking, this amp just had the crunch and the feel I needed. I don't use cleans, so it works out just fine. If you're seeking all tube crunch madness and have a fairly loud amp that you can use for cleans (like an old modeler or something), I'd definitely recommend buying the Windsor and ABY'ing the two amps. // 8

Windsor Head Reviewed by: sjones, on august 29, 2007

Features: The Peavey Windsor Head is a straight up rock machine. It is a single channel, all tube amplifier that sounds like a "Hot Rodded" Marshall JCM 800. It has a gain boost (which is more of a solo boost as it increases mids greatly) and an effects loop that can be switched on and off. Both of these features are controlled by a 2 button footswitch. With 120 Watts of pure tube power, it's enough to shake any large venue, but still sounds when used for a smalled venue. I wouldn't suggest this amp for bedroom practice, as it's loud amplifier. It has all of your basic EQ contols plus controls for Presence and Resonance. Also, one geat feature of this amp is that you can go from class A/B power to class A and anywhere in between via the attenuation knob on the front. It's appearance is also very classy, and downright sexy. // 9

Sound: My main guitar is a chambered body Agile Les Paul copy (AD 2900, which is now out of stock/production). This amp covers all the sounds I need. My band's orginals are a Hard Southern Rock and our covers range from the '70s, '80s and up. This amp suits my music style very well. Because I use a high gain setup, I always use a Noise Gate to prevent any unwanted noise, but with any high gain setup a noise gate of some sort if needed. The amp has a good deal of gain by itself, but I front end it with a DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive to tighten up the sound and add a little more grit. The clean channel isn't bright and shimmery, rather more bluesy. This amp is a straight forward rock machine. Whether you want 70's sounds, or more modern sounds (with the exception of extreme high gain) this amp can do it all. It you want and amp with chunk and "balls", this is definately one to look into. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any problems with this amp. It's built like a tank, and never has given me any performance problems. Tubes in the amp are good, no problems with those (EL34 and 12AX7). The tolex will get a few scratches from time to time, but so will any other amp. Knobs are sturdy and easily movable. This amp is built to last. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for me. It was also a bargain deal. Peavey could easily charge more for this. If it were stolen or lost, I would of course be dissapointed, but probably have another one in a few days. I suggest this amp to anyone looking to rock out, but doesn't have a huge amount of money to spend. // 9

Windsor Head Reviewed by: StonerRockGuru, on january 11, 2012

Features: This is your basic one channel all tube head. The only way to get a clean sound out of it is to turn the preamp and your guitar's volume down. Even then it isn't totally clean. The eq knobs are kind of all or nothing. You have to turn them a good distance to notice a change in tone. The resonance and presence knobs don't really do much in my opinion. And at least to my ears there isn't a whole lot of difference between the high and low gain inputs either. The texture knob does work and is a cool feature. 100 watts, all tube, cheap, and FREAKING LOUD AS HELL, works for me. // 5

Sound: For what it lacks in features it makes up for in sound. When I was looking for a new head (old ss head fried) I jammed through tons of different heads and didn't find one I really liked. Money really wasn't a concern, but I needed a head to Jam the upcoming weekend. When I jammed this head through a cheap cab at GC I could kind of hear the potential. For the money I bought it basically as a stopgap until I find a good one. This head powers a full stack.The bottom cab has the eminence monster metal kit, the top cab has Celestions in it. The only pedals I use are a noise gate and wah. I play either a Gibson SG or Les Paul. I plug into the high gain jack, preamp=max, bass=max, mids=least, treble=5, boost=off, master volume=max, resonance=max, presence=max, texture=max. If you have comparable cabs I suggest you try these settings. The sound is so brutal and heavy and loud I feel like I almost stole this head. I am not sure if the previous owner modded this head but it is like a six foot tall monster growling at you as loud as he can. This amp isn't just loud, it is feel it in the pit of your stomach LOUD and HEAVY. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this head for about a year now with no problems. It has been a tank so far taking the dings and occasional drops of a gigging band. I am confident enough in this head that I don't take a spare head when we play out, just extra tubes and fuses. The head weighs probably 50 or 60 pounds but I don't mind lugging equipment that treats me right. // 10

Overall Impression: Needless to say I have stopped looking for a new head. What I thought was a stopgap has become an unreal stroke of luck. I have been playing guitar for 12 years and my band jams out heavy bluesy stoner rock. Think Sabbath meets Clutch meets Kyuss meets Goatsnake. These "modern metal bands", lol, don't know what heavy is. The best is after our set the guitarists from other bands ask me what distortion pedal I use and I say I don't use one. The most common reaction is "daaammmmnnnn!". Peavey, job well done. // 10

Windsor Head Reviewed by: brainwasher, on november 20, 2009

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This amp was made 2008. Its a single channel tube amp, and switching between clean and overdriven sounds takes a little tweaking, but if you use effects and the guitars tone controls youll get along pretty well. I play mostly garage and classic blues/rock in my band, so pretty much stay with a crunchy tone all the time. It also features an effect loop and a boost Switch, which provides some extra push. (The boost can be footswitched). There are two inputs, High Gain & Low Gain (the low gain input is 10db quieter). There are master and prevolume (gain) knobs, treble/middle/bass knobs and two additional EQ knobs: Resonance and Presence, which lets you control the high and low frequencies of the speakers, which is very useful if you are a tonefreak. The best feature is the patented Texture knob, allowing the player to blend Class A and Class A/B tubepower as much as they like. I kind of miss a reverb option, but you can buy a pedal for that. I play in a gigging Rock/Blues band, and half a year ago I fulfilled my dreams of owning a halfstack 100w amp when I bought the Windsor. Its very useful in loud conditions, because it actually got more power than anyone could ask for at the venues I play (300 persons at most). Im satisfied with it. // 8

Sound: I'm playing it with humbucker-equipped Gibson-style guitars (Les Paul and an SG) and it delivers the warm, creamy tones very well. Since the Windsor is a Marshall clone (both visually and soundwise), it fits classic rock very well. Metalplayers should use pedals to reach those sick amounts of distortion, though i suspect this amp to get muddy when pushed to far. The amp is very bassy in my opinion. Since its a one channel amp it begins to distort very early, so you will not get the cleans very loud. Thats one of the amps limitations. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Its very heavy and sturdy. I gig without backup all the time, since the tubes are so new. I thrust it. It has not worn yet, which is kind surprising (we are not too kind to our equipment while on the road). // 9

Overall Impression: The Windsor fits my blues/rock style very well. I have been playing guitar for four years now and two of them in a band. I often use it with my Vintage PG Les Paul through a Morley Wah and a Boss overdrive, and I like the way it sounds. As I wrote earlier, I wish it had reverb, but the EQ opportunities (5 "EQ" knobs) are very useful. Peavey claims that it is a "budget 100W tube head" and I agree. But for these amounts of money, its surprisingly good-sounding. The most special thing about the amp is the Texture knob. Very few amps have a feature like this. // 8

Windsor Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is, I believe, a 2008 Windsor all-tube amplifier. I play mainly classic rock, a little bit of early Metal, and softer, bluesier stuff like early Rock n' Roll. This amp is perfect for these genres. It only has one channel, but to my surprise (unlike other reviewers) I found that the Windsor was capable of cleans, while plugged into the high-gain input, just by rolling down the volume pot on my guitar and adding some light chorus. This amp is EXTREMELY powerful; I haven't found an opportunity to turn it up past 4; it sounds great though. This is an extremely simple amp. With it's single channel setup, similar to a JCM800, it has very few "bells and whistles". I'm playing it through a cheap Peavey Supreme 4x12 cabinet, and it sounds like magic; EXTREMELY similar to my friend's JCM800 amplifier. // 9

Sound: I have only played this amplifier through my Fender Stratocaster w/stock single coils (my Les Paul is at the local luthier's). Damn, it sounds good. I'm not sure that it could really sound GOOD for METAL unless cranked, but for 70s hard rock, it is a dream. It is noisy for my Strat, but my strat's single coils are noisy regardless; I'm sure it will be much quieter with my Les Paul. Unlike what most reviewers say, clean sounds ARE attainable on this amplifier. I'm not sure if it's just my guitar, but I find that, plugged into the High Gain input, volume fairly loud, and preamp volume (gain) turned to 7-8, I can obtain a clean sound just by rolling down the volume pot on my guitar to about three, and adding chorus. Sounds perfect to me. As I said before, it's crunch is eerily similar to the Marshall JCM 800; slightly buzzy and thin at low volume, but past three (which is fairly loud) on the master volume, it opens up wonderfully. The distortion isn't incredibly brutal, but I"m sure that when pushed HARD, and with a metal-type guitar, it would deliver well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to give an honest answer; I would say that I would never take a tube amp to a gig w/o a backup though. It seems to be built rock solid though. // 9

Overall Impression: A perfect amplifier for my styles! I have been playing for about Nine years, and while my actual ownership of gear is fairly limited, I have played some of the world's finest amps, including Marshall JCM 800s and Plexis, Mesas, Peavey 5150, and more. Those amps range into $1000+. This amp is $250, and sounds INCREDIBLY similar to some of the amps listed above, especially the Marshalls. If this amp was stolen or lost, I would most certainly buy another. I compared this amplifier to many others in similar pricerange, including the ValveKing, Marshall MG, and even amps of a slightly more expensive nature, such as the DSL and TSL Marshalls. This amp is SO much better than ANYTHING else in it's price range, and even sounds better (to my ears) than the DSLs and TSLs. It has a very authentic-sounding British Invasion Marshall roar. Bottom line: if you play styles similar to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, and others, then BUY THIS AMP; you will not find a better deal around. // 10

Windsor Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2008

Features: This amp is definately a rock machine. Despite having only one channel this amp can pack some serious power. This amp comes stock loaded with four EL34's in the power-amp section and three 12AX7's in the preamp. It also comes with a footswitchable effects loop and gain/midrange boost. The effects loop jacks are located directly in the middle of the front panel for easy access. This amp also features a three-band eq in the preamp and presence and resonance controls which affect the top and bottom end of the frequency range. The power-amp section also features Peavey's patented "Texture" control which allows you to change from Vintage class "A" opperation to modern class "A/B" opperation. On the back panel, there are two speaker jacks wired in parallel, so it is possible to run only one cabinet. There is also a Switch that allows you to run 4, 8, or 16 ohms into the speaker cabs. Downside on this amp's features are that there is no headphone jack (like you really need one), and there are only two input jacks, one high gain and one low gain. The upside is that both jacks can be run simultaneously but they will both be low gain. I am giving this amp a 9/10 because it has most of the features I would ever use in an amp. // 9

Sound: I play a stock Fender Standard Series Stratocaster HSS with a Floyd-Rose and a Zeller's Washburn-Lyon Paul Stanely autographed guitar through this amp and I have to say that the Lyon definately comes alive through this amp, even though it's only a $280.00 CAD guitar. Despite what most people have said about this amp sounding too-thin and "brittle", set it with the preamp at max, push the Boost Switch in, and set texture at either class "A" or "A/B" and deliver a few power chords to it. It definately produces a classic Black Sabbath overdrive tone. As for cleans, simply roll the preamp volume down to about 1 or so and turn the gain boost off, the Windsor will now produce, depending on your guitar, a convincing "Stairway To Heaven" type clean. For modern metal, this amp could use a little more "sizzel" in the overdrive but other than that the amp, with the eq setup properly, can almost deliver the Van Halen "Brownsound." With the volume turned up (to about 2 or 3), you get a bit of tube hiss and feedback, so a good quality noise gate would be a worthwhile investment. The effects loop works good and my MXR EVH 90 phaser and Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah pedal sound a bit more "in your face" when plugged into it, versus being run in front of the preamp. I am going to rate the Windsor at 8/10 simply because the distortion lacks a little "sizzel" when cranked and it is a bit of a pain having to get up and drop the preamp volume to get the cleans. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp hasn't broken down yet (probley because I've only owned it for a couple weeks). I know that Peavey has got an excellent reputation for high-quality products and this amp is no exception. Right now I probably wouldn't use this amp at a gig without a backup simply because it's the first Peavey product I've ever owned. Once I've run this amp for a while without any problems, I would be more inclined to use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a fairly great match for the music I play, which ranges from classic rock like Nazareth, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Clapton to more modern rock like Wolfmother, and newer Van Halen. I've been playing for almost 4 and 1/2 years and this is the first amp I've found which has nearly everything I want in an amp at a price I can afford. If it were lost or stolen I would definatley buy it again. There is nothing I really hate or dislike about this amp except for there only being two inputs. The only thing I really wish this amp had built in is a high quality noise gate to keep those tubes silent. // 9

Windsor Head Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 12, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I'm not sure what year this amp was made, but I've been the proud owner of it for almost a year now. I got the half stack package fairly cheap at Musicians Friend, I used some credits I had built up and waited until they were having a sale with free shipping. This amp is versatile if you play rock music. Any other genres and it's not very versatile at all due to the lack of clean sounds. The Windsor it's 100 watt all tube, and has one channel with a boost function, as well as an effects loop located on the front of the head. The boost function is footswitchable, however, the footswitch is NOT included with the amp. I have used this amp Live, and it's plenty loud enough for most scenarios. I have also used it at home to practice and it hasn't bothered the neighbors too much. It features three 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and four EL34 power tubes. Separate high and low gain inputs and a 3-band EQ allow you to some versatility in tone. The texture knob allows you to change the power setting of the amp from class A to A/B. The head itself also includes an impedance Switch (4, 8, 16 ohms), which allows you to use it with different cab combinations. The only thing I wish this amp had was another channel. The front of the amp (from left to right): high gain input, low gain input, preamp volume, bass, middle, treble, boost Switch, effects loop send, effects loop return, master volume, resonance, presence, texture, Status light, standby Switch, master power Switch. // 8

Sound: I have a few different Ibanez guitars that I use with this amp and they all have passive pickups. This amp suits my metal and rock music preference fairly well. It has that classic rock/metal distortion (think older Marshall); but if you want to get newer metal sounds I would get a distortion or EQ pedal. I use a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff and a MXR 10-band EQ with mine to get a more modern metal tone. The only complaint I have about this amp is the single channel setup. This makes it difficult to get any clean sounds out of this amp... it always has a slight overdrive or crunch to the sound. The way I get the best cleans out of it is roll back the pre-amp volume on the amp, use the neck pickup on your guitar and roll the volume back, and I throw in a little chorus (I use an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone) to help mask the overdrive that seems to be on every setting on this amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable. I have used it a handful of times Live with no problems. I use this amp everyday at home and it's been going strong for almost a year. The tubes still sound great, although they will be getting changed very soon. The cabinet is very durable and weighs about 90 pounds. It comes with factory-installed casters to make transport easier. Handles are very durable. The head itself is also constructed very well. It weighs about 45 pounds, and is a fairly big box (it makes other amp heads look pretty small). The tolex stands up well, mine doesn't have any tears from the past year. The back of the head is covered with a sturdy black metal grille to protect the tubes. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for rock and metal, especially for the price. I know there are better metal amps out there (5150, Mesa, etc.), but for the $405 I paid it's not a bad choice (these are on sale for $499 right now at Musicians Friend, without the sale and credits I used). I have been playing guitar for a few years now and I have owned a couple other amps in the past but this is my first tube amp half stack. I currently own a Crate V18 as well so I really don't mind that this amp lacks a clean sound, because the Crate has great cleans! If this were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one. No question. I just wish that it had a separate channel, and that the footswitch was included. I compared this to the Valveking and a couple solid state amps when I was searching. I thought that for the money, this was my best option. // 10

Windsor Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 18, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay/Guitar Center

Features: The amp has some really, really great features. The only thing that I would change is the addition of a clean channel. Other than that, the amp satisfies all of my needs perfectly. I am in a technical hardcore/progressive band, and I was worried that this amp wouldn't pack enough punch for our music style, and that I would have to water it down with all kinds of footpedals and effects, but I was wrong. // 8

Sound: I just got the amp today, and I didn't have my own guitar to play through it, which is a PRS Santana SE custom. I did play a Jackson Dinky with hotrail pick-ups in it through the amp today though, and it sounded wonderful. The only complaint I have is for the cleans, but I imagine I'll be able to clean that up when I plug in MY guitar, and Switch it to the neck pick-ups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haha, this amp is so very durable, that it isn't even funny. The other guitarist in my band has the same amp, but instead of a slant cab, like mine, he has a straight cab. We went on a tour, and he couldn't go, so we got a replacement guitarist, and I used his amp. Well, one day, when we were getting ready to play, I decided it would be a good idea to take a ride on his cab while I was setting it up. Turns out it was a horrible idea, because I hit a crack in the pavement, that sent me flying. The cab slammed down on it's back, and I was so scared that it wouldn't play, but I plugged in, and it worked perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a good compliment to any style of music. It's gorgeous and sophisticated looking, it can pull off any type of sound you would want to play, it's relatively cheap for a half-stack, and very cheap for a tube half-stack, and the thing is just nice to have around. If I lost this amp, I would certainly get another. // 10

Windsor Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2010

Purchased from: Why Buy New? (Ebay Store)

Features: I believe that these amps were produced around 2008 but they have since been discontinued. However, if you search around and check eBay you can find some good deals. Style wise, this amp excels at 70's and 80's rock and metal, anything from Black Sabbath to early thrash. The amp is EXTREMELEY loud even on low settings so it would not be a wise purchase if you are looking for a practice amp. It's very simple to use and setup as there is only one channel and a boost function for solos, unless you changed the valves you can't achieve pristine cleans but if you roll back your guitar's volume knob you can get a passable live clean tone. This is not the amp for you if you play lots of clean stuff or need to have on the fly access to different tones. A feature unique to Peavey is the texture dial, which lets you go from class A/B to A. Class A will tighten up the sound a little bit for heavier styles, whilst class A/B seems to sound more "raunchy" and distorted. Therefore, the amp is kind of a one trick pony, but if a clean channel is added I think Peavey could easily justify a substantial price increase. // 6

Sound: I play both an Ibanez RG and an Epiphone Flying V and so I can't really say how this amp would handle something like a strat. However, having a H/S/H guitar is a good match as you can Switch to single coil to clean up the sound. From what I can tell, the amp sounds very similar to a hot rodded Marshall JCM 800. Therefore it's very mid-heavy and could be described as a little thin. This makes it perfect for thrash and classic rock and there is more than enough gain. If you played through some kind of overdrive pedal, I am confindent more modern tones could no doubt be achieved. Although I suppose that if you are in a metalcore or numetal band, you should be looking for something else. I am told that the matching Peavey cabs do not sound that great, I play this through a Harley Benton G212 and although I could probably get a much better sound with something more expensive, the sound is tight and punchy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not owned this amp for long, but don't think I would ever be completely confident in gigging a valve amp. However, I am sure that if you change them when needed and handle the amp with care you are probably not likely to have a meltdown on stage. A cheap solid state backup could be a good idea if you are gigging regularly and play long sets. // 7

Overall Impression: In short, this amp sounds amazing for the price and so I feel in no real position to make complaints. If you want the classic Marshall sound at a justifiable price this is your amp, in fact the only thing that differs is a different output transformer, and the valve types and configurations are the same. The inclusion of a clean channel would have been welcome and you can only use the official Peavey Pedal with it which is cheap and plasticy. However, these are two small complaints and are nothing compared to the Windsor's strong points. I would wholly reccomend that you try one out if your looking for a no frills, classic metal machine. // 8

Windsor Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Well where to begin, for one it was very VERY cheap for an all tube amplifier, the parallel speaker output jacks are very convenient, not to mention this amp simply looks kickass, its driven by 4 EL34 power tubes and 3 12AX7 preamp tubes, has a foot switchable boost and 2 very cool knobs only found on the Windsor, the resonance knob and the texture knob, and believe me these knobs rock! It has one channel, however I wouldn't change that about it, it was based off the old school amp setups where you had a clean amp and a dirty amp, The Windsor is a dirty girl, and though she has one channel, that's all you'll need, and unlike many Windsor Head owner's words, I say you can get a nice clean sound from this head, to get a clean sound out of the Windsor you simply turn your preamp volume down, your master volume up, and your guitar volume to about 5, and there you go, crystal clear cleans. // 10

Sound: I use a Fender American Stratocaster with the stock single coils, and i'll tell you, this head sounds badass, I bought the Windsor Head so I could have that AC/DC tone, yet not break the bank at the same time, and it does NOT disappoint, this son of a bitch packs 120 watts of pure tube sensational sound, the texture control can turn it into a class A, class A/B, and anything else in between, I compared it to my cousin's Marshall JCM 800, this amp NAILS that sound perfectly to my ear, and both these amps were hooked up to Marshall 1960 cabinets, Peavey should name this sucker the Peavey JCM 800. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems well made and very resistant to breaking in many ways, i've read others say they dropped the head off a full stack setup and it still work wonderfully, the tolex is just awesome, and this amp is well put together, I would not need a backup when gigging (though with every amp you should bring spare tubes with you). // 10

Overall Impression: I have searched for an amp like this everywhere else, one to pack the tone I wanted most but never could get affordably, then Windsor came to save the day, the bottom line here is if you want that classic tone you hear in AC/DC and other tones in that ballpark, I fully recommend the Windsor, why pay more when you can have this for so much less and get the same tone? Granted you have to play with knobs to get the sound you really want, but other then that turn that preamp up, crank that volume, and rock this amp!!! // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ VTM 60 8.2 Guitar Amplifiers 12/22/2014