Windsor Studio 20W 1x12 Combo Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 02/16/2015 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Windsor Studio 20W 1x12 Combo
Overall it is an ok amp, but nothing special at all.
 Features: 7.5
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Windsor Studio 20W 1x12 Combo Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on january 27, 2014

Features: This is a 1x12 class A combo. It has 2 12ax7's and it can accept any Octal power tube (6L6, EL34, 6550, KT66, KT88, KT77, KT90, 5881, 6Ca7, 6V6 or any that are variants on these). It is a 20 watt rated amp, but that also depends on what tube you are running. The amp came with JJ Ecc83 preamp tubes and a JJ EL34 power tube. It is a single channel amp with foot-switchable reverb and boost. It has a pretty good FX loop also. There is also a built in power attenuator on the back. It is fairly light for a 1x12 tube combo, but I mark that up to the thinner MDF construction and the open back. // 7

Sound: I bought this amp as a grab and go practice amp. I had to buy blind because I could not find a used Windsor Studio in my area. I was expecting a Marshall Plexi/JCM800 type amp and it kinda is, but it is lacking in some areas pretty bad. First, there is no bass at all in this amp. I can dime the bass and completely roll off the mid and treble and it is still extremely bright. The gain is very fizzy/fuzzy in nature. The stock Blue Marvel speaker is not very good. The reverb is so-so but nothing special and can get out of control really easy. However, with some modifications and a tube and speaker swap it can be a decent Marshall-ish type amp. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It seems like a decent quality amp. The MDF cab is a little thin and will crack/chip if you bang it around. The knobs and jacks seem decent and I have not had any issues and I bought it over a year ago. The PCB is a decent thickness so it is easier to do work on and there are a surprising amount of decent components used in it (Mallory caps). I would gig with this amp if I needed to and I would not be afraid of it breaking down on me. The tolex is what I have come to expect from a cheap Made in China piece of gear. I would expect this amp to last me for years as a throw around unless I upgrade. // 6

Overall Impression: Over all it is an OK amp, but nothing special at all. If you play cleaner music or country it is fine, it even does '60s and '70s rock just fine. It does not do hard rock or metal very well (stock). I was expecting a different sounding amp than what I received, but with some mods and a speaker/tube change, it is a decent amp. For $150 I paid this amp has some nice features like FX loop, Reverb, Boost, Attenuator and it accepts any Octal power tube. I would have rather bought a 1x12 Peavey Valve King, Peavey VTM 1x12 or a Peavey Ultra 1x12 now that I look back on it. The only reason I have kept it is it only cost $150 and I can run my POD through the FX loop and have a nice sounding hybrid rig. If you want a classic British sound and your on a serious budget this amp is worth looking at. If you want to do modern rock or heavier styles look at a different amp. // 3

Windsor Studio 20W 1x12 Combo Reviewed by: AndreasKleisun, on february 16, 2015

Features: The Peavey Windsor Studio Combo is a Class A single channel all-tube amplifier with two 12AX7 Preamp tubes and one EL34 power-amp tube, which can be replaced by any octal power tube. With a KT66 or L&GC it will deliver between 10-12 W, with a EL34 or KT77 you will get 14-16 W and with a 6550 or KT88 between 17-20 W. The amp has low and high gain inputs, bass, middle and treble tone control and controls or Preamp and Master Volume as well as for It's build-in spring reverb. With effects-loop jacks on the front and a microphone simulated XLR-output on the back, it is well equipped for recording, but should be able to deliver for smaller gigs. It has a built-in power attenuater called Power Sponge to reduce the volume to be bedroom compatible. // 8

Sound: Many reviewers attest this amp an at best mediocre sound. I can't confirm these ratings. Indeed, it sounds bad with wrong settings, muffled, no bass and so on. This amp needs to breathe through it's power tube. Crank the volume poti up to 9 till 10 (2 or 3 pm) and turn the volume poti on your guitar down, if needed. With gain on 3 you will get a clean tone with good headroom. I play this amp with a Fender Telecaster Custom FMT HH with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, which you can split up and drive in single coil mode. As said, in single coil mode you will get a beautiful clean tone with this amp. With the neck pickup in single coil, you will get the twang, you're looking for, With the neck Humbucker, it delivers a beautiful blues tone. If you crank the gain up, the sound gets more and more dirty. It was designed as a british amp and it sounds in that way. Metal is not, what it was designed for. The power sponge is useful. It has for sure impact on the sound of the amp, but it is well controlled down to about 25 or 20 per cent. In addition, the reverb sounds to me good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: There are amps in the market, which cost much more than this one and are built to achieve higher goals, for sure. But if you consider the price, you will get a well built amp and I wouldn't have much doubts when playing a gig. The Tolex could be applied more carefully on the front and when wrapped around the sides on the back of the amp. But otherwise the used material is quite decent. The knobs and controls on the front could be better. But the built quality is quite solid and I would expect, that his amp will be a good companion for lots of years. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great amp for little money. Try it and it will deliver all you're looking for. For what it costs, it sounds really good, but keep in mind, that you need to crank up the Master Volume, if you don't want to be disappointed. It will deliver clean sounds with the preamp volume on 3 and dirty sounds beginning on 7. Fifteen watts with a EL34 can be LOUD. If you go on stage, I would recommend it to you if you are playing in a smaller group blues or rock. If you need much clean headroom, it might not be the ideal companion. Go for it and shoot one. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Bandit 112 8.5 Guitar Amplifiers 10/12/2015