G-40V Review

manufacturer: Pignose date: 07/18/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Pignose: G-40V
The new Pignose G4OV is a technical marvel that puts out a screaming conservatively rated 40 watts RMS through its own specially designed 10" speaker.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 7.8
 8.4
 7.1
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
G-40V Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2007

Features: This is a Pignose G40V all tube 40 watt amplifier. Mine was made in 2006. It is fairly versatile for what I play (Blues, blues rock, a bit of modern stuff). It has one channel. A very bare-bones amplifier. I wish it had built-in reverb, but I can just use a pedal with it. The 40 watts it has is quite adequate. I usually play in my church's band, and it has no problem projecting or cutting through the mix. I give it a seven, since the features are a bit lacking. // 7

Sound: I'm playing this through a Standard Telecaster. I get a great sound for what I play. It does AC/DC, ZZ Top, Cream and other stuff very well. It definitely isn't a high gain amp. You can get about enough gain for classic rock-ish stuff, but not so much in the metal territory. You can get a very loud clean tone with the right amp settings. This is quite an inexpensive amp, and the sound is fantastic for the price. Of course there are better amps, but for the pricerange, this can't be beat. It could do with a tube replacement from the stock ones, and maybe a speaker replacement in the future to get the full potential of the amp, but it's nice the way it is. I give it an eight in sound because it's a very good deal for the price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very durable in my experience. I've read some reviews about how it has shoddy workmanship, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's never broken down, and I would definitely gig without a backup amp. It's a tough little amp, and it seems pretty reliable. I give it a nine for reliability. // 9

Overall Impression: I'll state again that I play a lot of blues, blues rock, classic rock, and a tiny bit of modern stuff. I've been playing for about two and a half years, and it's served me well for the year and a half I've had it. If it were lost, I would not buy another one because I would be ready to move on to more expensive gear. The thing I love about it is how it's so inexpensive, but so nice. I was really surprised at this thing. It's fairly small, but when you crank it, people will be amazed at the sounds. They'll be even more amazed when you tell them how much you paid for it. I played it against a lot of the other amps in the price-range. They were solid-state for the most part, and I found that this amp blew them away in terms of just straight-up sound. Of course, if you're looking for nice built-in effects and all that, this is not the amplifier for you, but I like it simple. I give it an eight for overall impression, because there are better amps out there, but the value for the price is a good incentive for purchasing. // 8

G-40V Reviewed by: ToneMasterDelux, on july 18, 2011

Purchased from: Music store

Features: My amp was made some time in the 90's. I bought it used with original tubes in the music store. This is a wonderful amp, as the previous owner review said it is great clean. I like to play alot of jazz and funk and classic rock. This is great for that. There are no channels and no headphone jacks. There is however a volume turned up will make distortion and a master volume to turn up the sound. This is fairly simple with bass, treble, mid, presence, master volume, and volume. That is actually a strong suit. I wish it had perhaps a wattage down Switch like some Fender amps that way it would be better to play with people sleeping. I use it in my room but is plenty loud enough and can power a 4x12 and speakers 4ohms and 8ohms. Would be plenty enough for bars or medium outside locations. // 9

Sound: I use my Parker P44 with this and get great bluesy jazzy tones. It sounds great and very warm, but that can be adjusted warm just sounds better and is the ideal for tube amps, it has the classic tube amp tone and sounds great. My pickups are Stinger active humbuckers. My amp does have a slight buzz but not from the speaker, from the tubes maybe, but not too loud and hard to hear. I still have stock tube so that may be it. With volume all the way up and different settings of master volume, contradictory to what the previous review said, is very strong, so much so that certain chords, even bar chords sound iffy. Clean sounds great though, I would recommend replacing the 12AX7 tubes if you like cleaner distortion. This amp performs excellent with pedals especially with wah and Big Muff. Clean is awesome even at high volumes but I recommend a distortion pedal/overdrive/volume pedal to control distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't say much about this because I have not owned it very long. It seems very sturdy and still has regular tubes, I would trust this amp. On the contrary with any tube amp I would bring a solid state just in case. The case is sturdy and actually doesn't look as ugly as others say, looks kind of Vintage and nice with leather. // 8

Overall Impression: Great amp, probably good for everything but metal (maybe even that haven't tried) I love this amp and it has no problems, sounds best louder though, as with all tube amps. The only thing I wish it had would be a wattage Switch but that's fine. I highly recommend this amp. // 9

More Pignose reviews rating category latest review
+ Legendary 7-100 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 07/28/2011