EX15FX Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 12/24/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: EX15FX
The EX15FX guitar amp kicks butt with 15W of power, and sounds very cool, thanks to built-in reverb, chorus, and delay. Gain and volume controls with overdrive switch, 3-band EQ, CD input.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.6
 7.8
 7.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
EX15FX Reviewed by: Rad_Sauce, yo, on january 05, 2008

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made. It's a decent little practice amp for the average beginner, but for those Who wish to get a little more serious I'd strongly suggest looking at a different model. It has basic versatility, and will cover a range from blues to metal easily, however not at a high quality. As far as features go, it has 2 channels: overdrive and clean, headphone jack, basic EQ (bass, middle, treble), and two effects (chorus and delay rev). Not all that impressive, but yet enough for basic needs and those Who don't need the extra effects. // 7

Sound: Honestly, I'm disappointed. But then, it was a gift, I didn't pick it out. I prefer to play thrash metal, so I have overdrive on, gain on full, and after fiddling with the EQ I finally got it to a decent distorted sound. But it doesn't fulfill my hunger for a crunchy, dirty, heavily distorted tone like that of my favorite bands use. And, seeing as how I'm more into learning my favorite songs, then getting serious and learning theory, I'm not exactly thrilled about this factor. But I got to give Randall some credit. That master volume control is more then enough to blow anyone's ears apart. I barely have it on 2 and it's loud enough to shake the walls. Unfortunately for me, I live in a duplex, so this is a problem I can only avoid by jamming elsewhere or playing unplugged. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for about a year, and it's never broken down. In fact, the cable that came with it is still in great condition. I'm quite happy with that aspect at least. I would never bring it along for a gig. It's simply a practice amp, and is not good enough for a gig. Perfect for the average beginner. Fine for a little jam session every now and then. Not a good idea for serious metalists and gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't typically play anything other than metal, nor do I currently have an interest in anything else. However, one might find this a good amp for playing blues or jazz. I'm not 100% sure though, I don't play blues or jazz, but just an fyi thing. I've only been playing for about 7 months now, my guitar is a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special, and if I could I would have picked a different guitar and a different amp altogether, but at the same time I can't complain. It's a good guitar (just a little uncomfortable) and a fair amp. If the amp was stolen I'd be bummed, because I don't have anything else, or money for anything else for that matter, but I definitely wouldn't buy the same thing. It just doesn't fit my style. // 7

EX15FX Reviewed by: Coltronics, on december 24, 2008

Purchased from: An ad on craigslist.org

Features: This amp is fairly straightforward: 15W solid-state, two channels (clean and overdrive), 3-band EQ, 3 built-in effects options (Reverb, Chorus+Reverb, Delay+Reverb)with adjustable reverb, a CD input, line out and headphone jack. For a beginner or anyone else needing a budget practice amp, this is a good choice. I play mostly 80's metal and power metal, and while this amp is not quite up to those standards, it packs enough punch to work with. The effects are good, but the chorus is too overpowered and can ruin your sound. Also there is no way to adjust either the chorus or the delay. // 8

Sound: I use an Epi SG with BurstBucker Pro pups, and the amp is quite versatile with my guitar. You can get a modern clean sound, a classic rock vibe, dirty punk tones, or some decent metal riffage from the settings. The distortion is good, but not great. Like I said before, the effects are okay, with the exception of the chorus. I've never put the volume over 3, everything above that breaks eardrums. The guy I got it from said that anything above 8 could blow the speaker, and I don't plan on experimenting with that. But overall, it has a good, versatile sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp has a very sturdy casing, so I could probably throw it at a brick wall and still jam with it later. It's definitely loud enough for jam sessions, and it could be used for a gig if plugged into a cab. Since it's solid-state, it needs pretty much zero maintenance, except maybe dusting once in a while. // 9

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a really high-end amp and have the money to get it, this is not the amp for you. If you're on a budget or if you're a beginner, this one is a good option. If someone stole it, I would buy it again if I could find it. It beats the pants off more expensive amps my friends have and has plenty of punch. Overall, a good buy. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Bluesman 4x10 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 02/25/2014