RG100ES Review

9.7
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
RG100ES Reviewed by: dlmebag, on july 28, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This amp is very rare now, and Randall stopped production in the '80s. This amp, alike many Randall high-gain amps, is versatile to a certain degree. The overdrive channel can be tweaked to sound very different but the clean channel is completely useless, it sounds awful. The RG100ES is the exact same amp Dimebag Darrell used for numerous Pantera albums, and it sounds just like Dime. It's a solid state with 150w RMS. It doesn't have very many features outside of the two channels, but then again it's an older amp, so what do you expect? Unfortunately, the main downfall is that without a pedal, the clean channel and the gain channel play at the same time, but you can always turn clean channels volume down. // 6

Sound: This amp, as I mentioned previously, is useless on the clean channel. Very artificial tone that sounds just plain bad. However the overdrive channel completely makes up for it. It's got the most amazing distortion, in my opinion, the best of any Randall amp. it's got great tone, and crushing distortion. Dimebag used this amp for a reason, however if you want to sound exactly like him you'll still need his EQ's n such. I play with a Dean Razorback with the Dimebucker pickup, and I usually play metal. This amp completely satisfies all my metal needs, and more. Surprisingly it's very quiet until it's pushed to high volumes, another surprising thing, it get better tone at higher volumes, like tube amps. Overall the best metal amp from Randall. But if you play on the clean channel a lot, be weary. it's mainly only useful for the extreme distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have mixed feelings about the reliability. Randall does have a decent track record for reliability, but the fact that the amp is a Vintage would scare me. It's a small chance that it would die on you on stage, but it's still a higher chance than any other present day amp. But if it came down to it, I would confidently gig with this thing. // 8

Overall Impression: For the price, and the features it has I was pretty impressed. This amp is perfect for any metal head, or just a Pantera fan. This is one of the few amps I would re-purchase if it broke down, since it's so cheap, why not? It's getting rarer and rarer since they stopped making them twenty years ago, so grab one while you still can. The only problem is that both distortion and clean run at the same time if you don't have a pedal. But in the end, this thing shines for metal. // 8

RG100ES Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: Solid state head, 2 channels(mixable), 2 speaker jacks 8ohms or 4ohms, effects loop, pull push treble which adds gain and sustain, but lowers the volume, guess to much feedback otherwise. Presence, Bass, Mids and treble controls, also has great spring reverb with simple one knob control. Totally awesome for metal and rock and blues, which is what I play. // 9

Sound: I use a LTD EC-400, with active emg's. I must say that I disagree with the other review, IMO the clean channel is very versatile, as it can go from clean to crunchy and sounds very much like a tube breaking up when getting crunchy. I also like the ability mix the channels. This is an awesome rock to metal amp. It is has tons of gain to spare on the 2nd channel and can do old school rock to 90's metal, all without the help of any pedals, but also takes pedals very well on the clean and the second, but to much gain on the second channel for a distortion pedal. The amp also reacts very much like a tube amp to pick attack. Strum soft, no distortion, strum hard and the overdrive comes through. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid state, so I don't think I'll ever have a problem. Randall's customer support may suck crap, but they build solid amps, so kudos to Randall for building such a kick ass amp. Solid state, so I don't think I'll ever have a problem. Randall's customer support may suck crap, but they build solid amps, so kudos to Randall for building such a kick ass amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I love it more than my Randall RH50T(tube amp) and I love my RH50T. Best solid state ever built, that in my opinion can compete with most tube amps. 25 yrs of playing and a whole lot of amps later, I have never heard a better solid state. Why do I have to have so many words? Silly if you ask me. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014