RG1503H Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 02/14/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG1503H
If you want a great sounding amplifier with lots of gain and lots of volume for a relatively cheap price, then look no further than this. The vast array of tones you can get with this amp is astonishing, especially considering it's a metal amp.
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RG1503H Reviewed by: metalgod47, on february 14, 2014

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This is a "upgraded re-issue" of the classic RG100, the amp features 3 channels, a clean channel that can get a slightly driven sound if pushed hard, gain 1 which sounds very much like the original RG100's distortion channel and gain 2 which is practically the same as gain 1 but with more gain and volume. The amp also features a shared 4 band eq including bass, middle, treble and presence. Along side these controls, there are buttons to let you scoop the mids and a bass boost option. The amp also features a spring reverb, it outputs at 150 watts, it comes with a foot switch to change channel and turn the reverb on and off and the amp is entirely solid state, so no tubes to replace. The only feature I dislike is the shared eq, while I have managed to get a nice warm sounding clean with the settings used on the distortion channel, I feel an additional eq would have been a well met addition to the amp. // 8

Sound: The sound is the classic Randall sound, think of Pantera, it's possible to get a sound very close to dimes on gain 3. The amp is versatile to a degree, I wont say it can do anything, as it was designed with gain in mind. (hence the additional distortion channel) but with a combination of any effects you may own, it is possible to get almost any sound you wish form the amp (I have managed to get an authentic sounding Leslie West tone from this amp).

The amp is also not limited to entirely treble based tones, the addition of the presence on a solid state amp, allows you to "smoothen out" those harsh frequencies while still getting a loud tone. On another tone this amp can be very loud, me and my friends estimate that we've managed to get the amps level to between 120-130 dB, possible more as we were only guessing based from others sound. It can take some time to get a sound your completely happy with at the end but its well worth it just to hear what an amp for this price can do. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp its self is very strong, its taken a battering through out the time I've gigged with it and used it at practice, the only part that has broken thus far in the year I've owned the amp is the Randall logo on the amp. However with this being only cosmetic, I merely glued it back into place. With the amp being solid state, it is naturally more rugged than many of its tube amp counterparts, the amp has been gigged without a backup at every gig I've played, mainly because of the hassle of taking another amp but also partly due to the fact of how I've never had a problem with it. Since its survived this long with me and not broken (which is saying something) I have awarded it a 9, entirely due to the Randall logo braking after a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a thrash/groove/terror metal guitarist, my biggest influence is Pantera, so I'm sure many of you can guess how happy I was when I found they were making this amp. Bottom line is, if you want a great sounding amplifier with lots of gain and lots of volume for a relatively cheap price, then look no further than this. The vast array of tones you can get with this amp is astonishing, especially considering it's a metal amp. I've used it on my bands recordings, doing work for other people and it never lets me down. If the amp was stolen, I'd buy another, then find the guy who took it and steal it back, after all two heads are better than one. However I am contemplating upgrading to the thrasher head soon, but this amp will still be used, I'll be using them both at the same time. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014