RG200 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 10/12/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG200
RG200 features 2 custom-voiced 12" 8-ohm Celestion Seventy 80s, 2 channels with dual gain stages, a mid-contour control, dual 3-band EQs, reverb, effects loop with level controls, a lineout, and dual external speaker outs.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 8.6
 9.7
 7.5
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RG200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2004

Features: I got this brand new model of amp made from Randall and I tell you it's a keeper. It's a Randall RG200, 200 watt guitar amp that has a lot of punch. It's got 2 gains and a clean. No chorus like it's babby sister the RG100SC but I got an multi-effects board anyway so who needs the chorus than. If you want to review this amp on the official Randall web site you might have to wait yet because I haven't seen it on there yet. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Ibanez RG230FM style guitar and I tell you this combo ROCKS!! If you want a strong in your face palm mutting sound that shacks or ripes at your house or at a gig this amp (or) combination is for you. I was going to get a Marshall but I was convinced to try both and I fell in love with this one. Try one out if you can. You should not be dissapointed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can't say I will have problems with it but I know I should not have to replace the speaker do to it being cranked up at high levels. I play shows a jam with it a 2-3. Not 4-7 like other amps. Unless you got a 4x12 cab than that's a little different compared to a 2x12 combo or a single speaker amp. // 10

Overall Impression: Heavy metal is about all I play but I know this amp can handle any kind of music you can throw at it with out a doubt. One thing I like about this amp is the back end is probably 80-90% closed in which I think enables me to get that fat palm mute sound I enjoy. If it were stolen, loss,etc.. I would buy another Randall but I go all out and buy the 4x12 cabinet just because I got the money. // 10

RG200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2005

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: The amp was made in 2004-05. The amp is great for heavy metal espically Pantera. I can play anything from Led Zeppelin to Children Of Bodom. The clean channel is also kick ass. It has 2 channels with 2 gain stages on the overdrive channel and a clean boost on the clean channel which is pretty pointless. It comes with a solid 4 button footswitch. It has independent reverbs and an effects loop, headphone jack, and speaker outs for 4 and 8 ohms. If you like the sound of high gain solid state amps with enough power to blow any drummer away, this is for you. // 10

Sound: Right now I'm using a standard Fender strat with it. I know a shitty combo but I raised the pickups so it has some scream. It suits all sorts of metal very well and it isnt very noisy unless you turn gain 2 all the way up, then feedback is a problem. If you turn the master volume and level up run. It has a great variety of sounds, clean to insane. The clean channel actually stays pretty clean unless you have the boost on. The distortion is so crazy, like I said, I can play metal on a damn Strat with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. It weighs a good 60 pounds. I move it around on my skateboard but that's because I'm lazy. The amp has never broken down and nothing has ever gone wrong with it, it's amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of kinds of rock. It's great for it. I've been playing for 2 years and the only amp that I've liked better than this was a Peavy XXL, but hey, those are awsome. This is great for the money and if I lost it (which would be extremely hard) I would buy it again. If it were stolen I'd get it back. There is only one thing that I do wish it had tubes! But RMS is good too and a good price. // 10

RG200 Reviewed by: jumpmanhat, on october 12, 2005

Features: This amp was a 2003 made Randall, solid-state amp. It has 2 gain channels and one clean channel, it comes with a 4 way footswitch. The thing I dont like about this amp its channels is that gains 1 and 2 share the EQ, headphone jack isn't like the amps original sound. There are 2 reverbs 1 for gain and other for clean and unlike some other RG's there is no Chorus, but its not likely that you'll ever need one. Another good thing to this amp is that on the Gain channel you can voice the mids which I think helps, I always turn it on but put the knob to zero. However, the sound on this amp eliminates lots of problems. By the way, Celestion 12" Speakers. // 9

Sound: My rig right now consists of my Cort KX1F which is great! And it goes awsome with this amp. Since my guitar was made for hardcore and metal, these 2 feel like they were made for eachother. I think the major thing about this amp is the Gain 2 setting. I play lots and lots of metal and sometimes jam clean, but on gigs we only play metal such as, Lamb Of God, Fear Factory, Metallica and Pantera. This amp goes well with all of these bands and their tones of hell. Since, this amp is 200 Watts, it's loud, Resonates the sound from the basement to the ceiling. As well as the distortion goes, the clean is also very good and it does not get distorted, and this amp is not noisy it doesn't have much feedback only some when Gain 2 is on full and the volumes are on high. It's all in the Celestion's baby! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Lots of people on other sites say that this amp's fan and heats are the major problems, but I never had a problem with that, but on gigs I recommend putting a fan behind the amp, so nothing goes wrong. Otherwise, this amp is like a brick. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is probably the best amp for its price with great over-ruling power. My goal was to save up more and get a Fender Metalhead but when I tried this one out, I just bought it now I am fixed on being a Randall player. In my preavious gigs I always had to borrow the other band's less than 100 Watt amps but now I laugh at them. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I tell you what, the Marshall MG series suck compared to this. // 10

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014