RG200DG3 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 05/11/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG200DG3
200W guitar amp with tube-like tone and MOSFET power section, built-in 24-bit digital effects, and 2 - 12" Celestion speakers. Spring reverb, dual 3-band EQs, effects loop with level controls. Includes 4-button footswitch.
 9.1
 8.1
reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
RG200DG3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2007

Features: I bought this amp used. Two hundred watts w/two celestions. It was probably made around 2000. It's got tubes, and sounds great. The amp has two channels controlled by a Switch on the front of amp: a clean channel with a volume, treble, mid, bass, and reverb knobs, and a boost switch. The Drive channel has two separate gain channels, each gain channel has separate gain knobs. The drive channel has reverb, treble, mid, bass, & contour knobs, and a voicing switch. The back has line out, send/return for fx, and two volume knobs for send/return level. // 9

Sound: I own an Epiphone Special, with a Seymour Duncan pickup at the neck. I play it with a Zoom GFX707. I play a lot of rock, alernative, etc. The amp has a great sounding clean channel, but is gets gutsy at high levels like a lot of tube amps. The distortion channels are not bad, but I use my fx pedal for all my heavy stuff. The sound suits my style perfectly. The bass on either channel can't be turned up past 3, otherwise I would kill the speakers, but I don't need it any higher. My pedal only sounds good plugged into the front input; the rear fx channel sounds like crap. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have two children Who have already knocked over, and the tubes have not broken, or needed attention. I think that if I would change the tubes, it may even get better sound. This thing weighs a ton; it's heavier than my Yorkville 200B Bass amp. The sound and volume is just fine at small gigs, 200 watts, power! At a bigger venue teckkies are always all picky about control and sound, but they wouldn't need to be! I was thinking of getting a POD 2.0, but this amp makes my little Zoom pedal sound great! // 8

Overall Impression: I play rhythm @ my church, and my own stuff, rock, heavy stuff. I've played for 12 years, and this amp is a monster upgrade from my original Squire Strat & Squire Chorus 30! The touchy bass is a little annoying, but very forgivable. This amp retails at $1000.00 CAN; I purchased a Brand New Laney LX120 Twin, and I saw the Randell, played, & bought! If this amp were gone, I would look to buy something similar. I can't stress enough how much this amp has bettered my sound! // 9

RG200DG3 Reviewed by: losing battle, on may 11, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: Two channels clean and the overdrive side, each with tho different options their is two gain "channels" and the other side you get a boost. I'm guessing it is a hybrid because it's not all tube. It kinda has that tube sound but it does not really their so if you want that all tube sound I sugest looking elsewhere. Also I really do not like the countour function on this amp it in my oppinion it is horrible. The line out is uncompressed so it's a good and a bad thing at the same time, also the effects loop is a pain to manage so place everything infront of the amp if possible. // 5

Sound: I have owned this amp for over a year and I have not had any major problems but their is a few concerns that you should keep in mind. Even though the overal tone of the amp is excellent the reverb is horrible if you plan on buying I sugest buying a reverb of some kind. The boost even though it is really good it is erratic at times in how much you get out of it so don't plan on it being 100 percent every time if your playing Live. This amp also needs to be cranked to truely appreciate that great Randall crunch. Lastly on the gain channel it cannot get modern high gain sounds. It sounds great for early Slayer, Maiden, Megadeth, Sabbath so if you want to play death metal or some other related genre it is essential to buy a distortion. I have not used it with a speaker cab so I do not know how well that funtions. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned before I had this thing for a year and I have yet to have a problem. It's pretty much built like a tank. I have not gigged with it yet so I do not know how it will deal with that, I will say something about that later, to be fair it has seen some travel and it is doing fine. // 8

Overall Impression: Giving the choice I would probibly buy this amp again but more then likely it's hundred watt cousin or the 300 watt stack of doom. I run my Boss rc2, jekkyl and hyde, Boss super octive, voodoo labs microvibe, (awesome petal just use it and it screams buy me especailly combined with the Randall crunch it sounds pychotic)my beaten to hell Dunlop wah, Danelectro pb&j delay, and a EX holy grail and it sounds absolutly ridiculous I mainly play doom, thrash, and death metal so it suit's my needs. I also got some great blues and classic rock tones from this amp with out a distortion so this amp is not exclusivly for metal. Also when it works right the boost funtion is amazing, but your taking chances with that. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014