RG200G2 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 01/15/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG200G2
The Randall RG200G2 Guitar Combo will give you the heaviest sound in its price range. The hi-gain head is loaded with 200W. It also has a full array of gig-amp necessities.
 8.9
 7.8
 9.9
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
RG200G2 Reviewed by: Jaypack44, on january 15, 2008

Features: I play pretty much anything rock, from punk to metal, and this amp works very well for all of them. It has three channels: one clean and two distortion: "vintage" and "modern", with separate volume/tone/reverb controls for the clean and distorted, as well as a master volume channel and gain controls for both distorted channels. The amp is very powerful, I play it mostly in my room, and the loudest I've turned it up is about 5, which is really loud.It's a solid-state. // 9

Sound: I use it with my Samick Torino TR2, and it works really well.It sounds really good. The clean channel sounds very Metallica-esque, which I like. The distortion also sounds like that, but not as much so. It's pretty quiet. There's not that much of a difference between the two distortion channels, the "Vintage" being a little warmer in tone. The distortion gets pretty heavy, but the "modern" gain control on mine causes squealing if it's turned up too high. The "Vintage" distortion is also a lot quieter than the "modern", which can be a problem.Overall, it's pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty durable, but it has broken down before. I took it in, and supposedly the capacitor failed, which caused it to buzz and sound terrible. This has happened twice, and as of now repairs are pending. I would definitely use it to play live, and probably wouldn't use a backup. The vinyl cover on it has gotten kind of beat up over the years, but then again I haven't treated it the best either. so far it's stood up to being dropped a few times, banged into walls, and scraped up. // 6

Overall Impression: I can't wait to get it back, though, because my only other amp is a Fender Frontman 15G, which sucks. I've had it for about 2 years, and other than the two breakdowns, it has worked very well. I'm not sure if I'd replace it, or just buy a different amp, because I haven't played that many other amps. one thing that would be nice would be numbers for all the knobs, but it's fine without them. It's kind of bulky to lug around, it would be nice if it had wheels. // 8

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Bluesman 4x10 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 02/25/2014