RG200G3 Review

review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RG200G3 Reviewed by: DTTR09, on may 27, 2010

Price paid: A$ 1400

Purchased from: Opus Music

Features: I bought the 2009 rg200g3 Model, this 200W beast shipped over from America straight out of the factory. Let me just say this amp is F--KING METAL! It has two distortion channels each with their own gain knob. It has the usual Bass, Mid, Sweep, Treble and Reverb on the Distortion channel. The Mid has a voicing button which gives it a much more authentic and real tone. The Clean channel has reverb, treble, mid and bass and a foot-controllable booster. The Amp came with a 4 button midi foot-switch which controls which of the two gains you want, reverb, channel and also clean booster. The one problem I have with this Foot-switch is that if you have the reverb on whilst playing some crazy solo then Switch it off for the riff if you go to clean (and want reverb) its still off. Channel storing would be a good thing for Randall to invest in for this amp. But really, this Switch is so sturdy you hit Chuck Norris with it and it might come out okay... Typical effects loop etc on the back, don't really use it at the moment however. This Amp is everything I could want and more, I play a variety of styles, mostly Metal and I can grab whatever tone I want from it From Arch Enemy, Dream Theater and anything else. The clean is beautiful and very bright so its useful for playing metal with clean parts or rock etc... Its a 200 watt beast, my old Rhythm player bought a 100 Watt Randall Stack and this thing overpowered it at 4... One major issue with this amp is the weight... it comes in at about 35-40 kg and its awkward to carry, I built a trolley for it and that helps a lot. // 10

Sound: The sound of this amp is so versatile. I'm using a piece-of-shit LTD AX-50 and this manages to makes it sound awesome. You can really hear the difference when you wind the tone right down or change pickups, this amp embodies whatever kind of tone the pickup you're using should deliver. I play a lot of Progressive Metal and this amp is crisp and clear on the cleans and screaming and harmonically rich on the distortion (Which, may I say.. is unbelievably Brutal) I don't gig as much anymore so it just sits in my room, I play mostly at low volumes and it is a little clearer then when its up loud (though even when playing an unmiced concert you'll never need to take it past 5). The voicing on the distortion mid makes the sound so awesome I never turn it off... without it the sound gets very artificial anyway but nonetheless... the clean stays very clear and crisp at higher volumes and the booster allows you to keep the actual volume knob lower. It tends to be much louder than the Distortion channel though. I keep most of the Eq between 4.5 & 7.5 (except the gain which on Gain 1 is on 3 and Gain 2 is on 9). My crappy guitar can pull a lot of feedback out of it at higher volumes but better pickups and a fraction less gain would fix this (I can't get enough of this distortion) // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for just under a year so I can't say much for reliability in terms of breakdowns but it is SOO solid and durable. I wouldn't hesitate to gig without a backup (1. I can't afford the Hughes & Kettner Coreblade I'm after and 2. its just that damn reliable. I see no reason why this amp would break down at all. Its also solid state so tubes will never be a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for around five years but I am a total gear nut. I research obsessive-compulsively and look at everything I can find. I also worked in the local music store so I got a very good handle on what to ask from an amp and guitar. I don't have much high quality gear but at the store I used a lot so I can honestly say this amp is awesome for the money. When I bought it I tried every amp in the store about 5 times and I looked at countless reviews and other brands and even asked some guy on youtube who used it what he thought of it. The thing I love most about this amp is its evil presence and Sound. It is a big, black, metal machine. The Footswitch as its own entity performs perfectly, its got a long cord and you can unplug it form the pedal, its real sturdy and the LED's are very bright so you always know whats going on. My two main beefs with it are the weight and the lack of channel memory on the footswitch but otherwise I love it. If I lost this Amp or someone stole it I would surely take some serious revenge. I've had enough experience now that I'd probably go for the more realistic tones of a Tube amp but if a ever had a spare 1500 I'd buy this amp again just to use as a backup or for jamming etc. I chose this amp because I have never heard anything like it. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014