RG40R Review

7.6
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RG40R Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2005

Purchased from: Downtown Music

Features: I bought the amp second hand so I don't know what year it was made but it is not in production any more. This amp is very versatile and can be cattered to suit all styles of music. 2 channels - clean and overdrive. It is 40 watts and very loud for a small amp. // 10

Sound: Using a Samick strat copy with stock strat pickups. I play a lot of neo-classical shred stuff (Yngwie Malmsteen) and some metal (Steve Vai, Pantera, Metallica), and as you probably know - Randall is a heavy metal amp company so it suits my needs perfectly. It gets pretty noisy with gain on full and when its turned up loud but thats pretty normal for single coil pickups anyway. It is very versatile tone wise. On the clean channel I can get a perfect clean blues tone and distortion - Pantera, Metallica, Yngwie, Brian May, Angus Young etc. The ditortion is the best distortion I have ever played ever. Absolutely kicks marshalls ass. But the best thing about this amp is the bass! Oh my god it's amazing, it shakes the ground! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use it at a gig without a backup - very realiable. I haven't had any trouble at all with the amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly shred, some metal and rock also, and it is perfect for these styles. I play a Samick Custom Pro strat through it. I would definately buy another Randall amp if it were lost or stolen. The thing I love about this amp apart from the very versatile distortion is the bass! // 10

RG40R Reviewed by: L Geddes, on december 06, 2006

Features: The RG40R has 2 channels (clean & distorted) gain, shape, dist. vol, clean vol, treble, middle, bass and reverb (never used) knobs let you muck around and create and mould a sound of your own. It has an effects loop and headphone jack. Made in 2004. The amp is very light, full of power for it's size, and very versatile. From jazz to heavy metal this amp takes it all in and produces a nice solid sound. I use this amp as a bit of a practice amp and for band practice. The distortions on this amp range from a smooth sustaining distortion to a thick cutting distortion. // 8

Sound: I am using an Epiphone S.G with humbuckers. The RG40R suits my music style perfectly. I love belting out a bit of Ramones, NOFX, Green Day, Blink, Sex Pistols and Sum 41. You can use this amp very loud without it distorting. There is not a lot of variety in sounds but the distortion controls are very fun to use. The clean is only just distorted at about 9 or 10. The distortion on this amp is awesome. I wouldn't change a thing about the distortion channels. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would trust this amp anywhere and I sometimes use it in smaller gigs. This amp is as tough as nails and has never had a problem with it at all. When I use this amp with a Krank distortion with a wah-wah the stereo speaker never distorts and is very clear. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match for me because I rarely use a clean channel and I love this amp's distortion. I've been playing for nearly three years. I own a Epiphone Zakk Wylde model, a DigiTech RP50, a Dime Bag Wah, classic wah, MXR Phaser, Krank Distortion and a Behringer UD100 pedal. If this amp was stolen I would definetly by another the same but mabye a little bit bigger. I love every thing about this amp, it's great. There isa nothing I would change about this amp. // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014