RG50TC Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 05/31/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG50TC
Whether you looking for a great sounding tube amp to jam at home with friends or flexible high performance road amp, the new Tube Series has your back.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Features: 8.4
 8.5
 8.9
reviews (5) 22 comments vote for this gear:
RG50TC Reviewed by: axe_thrasher, on july 30, 2007

Features: This amp is pretty much for straight out metal which is good for me since I usually play death and thrash metal. It has two foot-swithchable channels, an effects loop, clean boost, and two gain types. I tend to not use gain two as it's pretty much same as gain one unfortunately, just a liitle less gain and a bit more bass also gain 1 and two arn't independant channels but just separate gain types. It's 50 watts tube power is more than enough for my bedroom, I have yet to gig with it, but it makes a roar at practice. It has 3 12AX7EH pre-amp tubes and two EL34 power tubes coming out of a 12" celestion speaker making an unbeleivable sound for 250. // 9

Sound: I am currently using a B.C. Rich warlock bronze series but plan on upgrading soon. This amp even makes this guitar give a brutal and skull crushing tone on gain 1, as I said I mainly play thrash and death metal and this does the job perfectly. Unfortunately it's clean channel distorts very easily even without the boost on, due to this I plan on buying an acoustic moddling pedal of some sort. The clean boost does have a nice subtle distortion to it, which is good if you want a metal amp but still play a bit of blues lets say. I have to say this amp doesn't give much feedback even with the B.C. Rich pickups. I've yet to turn it past 10 O'clock as it is very loud. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have banged and bumped this amp around the place and surprisingly it has never broken. I've not had to replace the tubes as of yet. It even fell down in the back of a taxi on the way home form practice, it didn't even have a scratch on it. I plan on gigging it soon and would rely on it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about two years and sold my spider 3 75 watt combo to get this and I don't regret that descion for a second. One thing I'd wish I'd done before buying this amp is looking at the clean channel more closely, but it doesn't bother me that much that it distorts easily. If it were stolen or lost I would defintely buy it again. I love the distorion this amp makes on the gain channel. It's thick yet has good treble. It beats the hell out of my old spider 3 and where it lack in versitility to some other amp, such as the Vox AD120VT of my friends, it's distortion channel is truly awesome for the price. // 9

RG50TC Reviewed by: Exsuratientoel, on october 24, 2007

Features: It's can be played at bedroom levels, or you can crank it & it'll easily hope with most gigs. It has heaps of distortion & great tone. I play metal & metalcore mainly, you have to crank it to get the most out of it, but once you've broke that barrier, the RG-50 TC is one of the best 50 watt combo's I've ever played. It features two channels, overdrive & clean. The overdrive controls are gain 1, gain 2, bass, middle, treble & level, the clean channel controls are level boost, bass, middle & treble. It has spring reverb & a master volume knob. You can really have that all tube tone without burning a whole in your pocket. // 9

Sound: I use my Dean From Hell with a Bill Lawrence in the bridge & a Dean pickup in the neck, the RG-50TC is perfect for the kind of music I play. It's a full tube amp, so you get all the benefits of having tubes, & damn they sound good. The distortion is br00tal, I have it at 8 for my metalcore needs, but you can crank it all the way for those death metal tones. The clean channel is pretty good, but not the best ever, as long as you don't play loads of cleans, this amp is the perfect metal weapon. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I transport my gear around allot, & my RG-50 TC has never had any problems, it's been dropped once, fallen over in the can plenty of times, but it still sounds as good as it did when I first bought it. It's a solid amplifier, you could tour the world with this amp & it wouldn't let you down. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best amps I've ever played, it doesn't break the budget, & it's just the right if you don't have much space. It may be small, but it's packed with tone & distortion. The only downside is the clean channel becoming distorted when it's cranked above 5. I've played through many amps, my three favourites have to be the Peavey 5150, Marshall JCM900 & the Randall RG-50 TC. // 9

RG50TC Reviewed by: WantzChas, on january 16, 2009

Purchased from: MusicMate

Features: The amp I own was made in 2006 as far as I can recall. It's designed in the US, but assembled in China. Thus making it an affordable alternative to amps such as the much higher priced Marshalls etc. I play mostly hard rock (think Metallica), classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Joe Satriani), blues and country (Eric Clapton, Brad Paisley) and Metal (Nightwish, In Flames) and I can get the right tones for all of that. I've read in other reviews that this amp is "all out metal", well that is completely untrue cause you can play anything on this amp and it sounds awesome. I especially like the break up off the clean channel at a certain level, great for blues, country and classic rock. The RG50TC has 2 input sockets, high and low. The high output favors higher output humbuckers and the low output Vintage humbuckers and single coils. It has 2 channels, overdrive which has two gain stages (gain stage 1 is a bit tighter than gain stage 2) and clean which has a boost button. It includes an effects loop which I don't use and a footswitch which I didn't get with the amp (music store bastards). It has the most normal amp features, the equalizer, channel switching and reverb. It has a master volume dial. Headphone jack? Hahahaha, don't use headphones on 50watts of tube power running through a 12" Celestion Seventy 80 loudspeaker, Two 5881 power tubes and Four 12AX7EH's. I use this amp in my bedroom and to jam with friends (I don't play in a band, don't have the time) and surprisingly I can get that special valve tone at a relatively low volume, but it begs to be turned up and then it just screams with a voice only to be achieved by quality valve amps. This amp has all the right features. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez SA 160 fitted with the standard pickups and fitted with 0.10 gauge Elixer strings. Like I wrote above in features, name a music genre? Well bring it, the RG50TC will eat it up like it was no one's business. It is surprisingly versatile for a Randall, the metal/ ultimate distortion stereo type. I play anything from blues to metal and everything in between and the RG50TC does it all really well. When you crank up the volume it gets to noisy which is irritating and the feedback is deafening, because you run out of cable. I'm not sure if it could be my pickups, but I imagine having actives making this worse. If you play at respect-for-your-neighbors levels it won't be a problem and when cranking it having a quality, 30foot cable will help. The variety on this amp is what drew me towards it. I was looking towards a Peavey Valveking 112, but my budget increased so I chose between a Marshall DSL401 (great amp but not enough gain), used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (Gain??? Is it similar to slight Drive? ) and the Randall. The cleans is amazing for an amp not claiming to have crystal clear cleans and the BOOST button gives the clean lots of color. You can instantly hear how it gets warmer and grittier when the boost button is on. The reverb button gives body and character to both the Drive and clean channels. The clean channel gets distorted easily in comparison to other amps. Don't buy this amp if you're playing a lot of cleans. I like this, but I can imagine people being annoyed by this. Well you guys go buy Fender then. The distortion is not as skull piercing and eye bleeding as you might expect out of Randall. Pinch harmonics is not leaping out as with an Engl and other high gain amps. More than enough distortion for most metal styles, but Nu-Metal fans would prefer more gain. Stick a tube screamer into the Drive channel, set gain to about 3 (out of 10) on the amp and max out the gain on the tube screamer. You will achieve great distortions. I rate it an 8 in this department, you'll get better Drive out of an Engl, cleans out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but hey that is two separate amps. Think value for your money. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like with ALL valve amps, the valves itself has reliability issues. They tend to break and blow up. The RG50TC doesn't run excessively hot, but still you would probably need a backup amp when gigging. The construction is hardy and it looks and feels strong. It's fairly heavy, which is a good sign. Since I don't gig I won't really have reliability issues. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp can't be described in words. I'm not writing this review like the typical fan boy, I'm considering other amps and keeping open minded. I have been playing for just over 3years and my playing skill doesn't justify this amp. Hopefully I'll improve and my playing complementing and justifying this marvelous amp. I also own a Cort AD860 acoustic, owned an Ibanez GRG series (recently sold it), Ibanez SA160 and a Roland Cube 15. I wish I have asked about the footswitch, that is an extra expense now. I love the character of the amp, some people might find it dreadful, I love it. My favorite feature of this amp must be the bang for your buck, the value. The only other amp that can compare in terms of value is the Peavey Valveking series amps. I hate the feedback though. If it were lost or stolen I would probably buy it again or save up more to buy an Engl Thunder or Screamer 50. I compared it to the Valveking, DSL410, Hot Rod Deluxe and for my needs this won. Overall rating speaks for itself, please let me know if anyone finds a better amp in that specific price range. // 9

RG50TC Reviewed by: StephenRB, on december 10, 2009

Features: The Randall RG50TC from my experience is a metal sounding amp. I play classic rock tunes and have no real need for the pounding metal ability I'm sure it has. I got the amp bought for me for a Christmas present so that is why I am unsure of the cost. As far as the sound goes i play with as little gain on the dirty channel as possible, between 1 and 2 if there were any numbering labels on the knobs. It does a great job for a bedroom amp and in my use of it that is basically all I can say it is good for.. I'll reveal more when it gets to the 'Reliability' section. // 6

Sound: I have an Epiphone Les Paul and have played it through a number of amps. The Randall does the guitar great justice and can help explore the types of sound you are looking for. With the master volume it goes from bedroom level to in-your-face loud as hell within the slightest of adjustments. The clean channel is great especially using it with a good lot of bass to get a bluesy kind of sound.. It can do twangy sound as well but I guess sound is eveyone's own opinion of what they feel is right, the sound of the amp like I said can vary so you'll have good fun experimenting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ah-ha.. Now we get to the part where I can rant a little. I got the amp last Christmas. In the space of a week, it blew.. So I returned it to the store I bought it from. Within a 2 week period a new one was delivered and was working fine. A month or 2 down the line through a handful of practices and 2 or 3 gigs, the amp decided when to change channels all by itself.. In more detail, If it was pushed too loud on the dirty channel, it switched to clean, and when the sound died down a bit, it switched back to the dirty channel. Sent back to the dealer in England and they "sorted it out" It came back and within 3 days, literally after about 2 chords at a band practice *BOOM* and smoke started rising from the vents on top. Packed it up, sent it back. Arrived back - about a 2-3months later, took it to do some recording, some practices (so in no way gig-loud) and a blue flash came from the back of it, I instantly turned it off as I thought it may be an electrical problem. So over the course of a year, iv had 2 RG50TC's, the later of the 2 has had 3 major problems.. And I am currently looking for a new amplifier..Reliability... In my eyes is zero.. But 1 is the lowest I can go on the ratings.. // 1

Overall Impression: Am I the only one who has had the worst of luck with this amp? Is it two faulty amps that I just so happened to get one after another? I don't think so, but if I am, please comment and let me know. Just wanted to warn anyone reading these reviews.. just in case they might be the next person to get the "Rare Faulty Randall RG50TC" // 2

RG50TC Reviewed by: Elmoplaysmetal, on may 31, 2011

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: L.A. Music

Features: I purchase this amp three months ago. It's all an all tube amp with a celestion speaker. It has two channels (clean and overdriven). The Overdrive has two different overdrives, and clean channel has a boost switch. A great feature is it's effects loop effects loop. It can be switched for floor and rack effects. I bought it because i started playing in a band and needed to desperatly upgrade from my Line 6 spider 4 15 watter. I was such a steal because it was a showroom product. It had some scratches in the sides so i got $200 off. Score! The amp is 50 watts. I use the volumes on less than half for gigs over 400 people. It's also great for practice as it does not sound horrible on low volume as most tube amps do. I play classic rock, hard rock, blues, and of course METAL! It's actually pretty versatile mostly due too the clean boost. It has a three band eq. To be honest in the overdriven section I never touch it. There is only one position where it sounds good and that's with full bass, full treble, and the mids completely cut out. It honestly screams like that but sometime you want to boost the mids a little. No way. It just sounds like mush with any mids. For that reason -3 for the eq. But +1 for the versatility and effects loop so were at 8/10. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul Tradition Pro. It's great for the coiltapping which really let's me get the most out of every amp I play. It definetly fits my love for metal. I'm not into death metal or, metalcore, but stuff like A7X, Disturbed, and 80's Thrash. The overdrive can pretty much only do metal and hard rock because it's so high gain. The boosted cleans do your blues. You could probably do your classic rock through the really boosted cleans but it gets sort of muddy when really boosted. No big deal though. I keep the boost at around half and put a Boss superoverdrive in front of it (like $60) and it sounds great. I think the cleans actually don't sound that bad. Of course it can in no way compare with Fender cleans but they will do. With single coils the cleans are kinda dead but with humbuckers they're warm and full. If you full boost the clean channels it'll break up a little but the boosted clean channel is when it gets fun. The amount of dynamics it adds to your playing is unbelievable. Play soft. Clean. Give your guitar the smackdown, crunched up. But chances are you'll buy this amp for the overdrives. Metallica in a box. Definetaly a James hetfield tone. The overdrive is split into two sub channels. The second is more saturated than the first. There is also a little less gain. I mostly play through the first overdrive because I find the low end to be much tighter. I don't play anything more than heavier than metal but I'm sure it can do death metal and metalcore. Probably the biggest complaint I have about the amp is the noise. It will definetly hum and feedback past half volume. The effects loop comes in handy here to run a noise gate. Cranking this amp up makes this amp even more awesome and less muddy but as I said before it does not sound bad at all for low volumes. All in all I'm rating an 8 because the crunch could be less muddy and more tight and the amount of noise this amp makes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have done three gigs with this amp and A LOT of practices. Nothing has ever happened to it. It sounds great every night and I can't stop getting compliments from my band mates and even people in the audience. I've never changed the tubes or the speaker but everything looks extremely accessible from the back. I definetly feel as if I don't need a back up. I bump it everywhere and trust me, this things built like a tank. I have no complaints so a 10 here. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I love this beast of an amp. If it were lost or stolen I would kickass that persons ass down to hell because these are out of production now. It fit my style of music pretty well. I've been playing for a year and a half now (but a little better than your average year and a half player if I do say so myself). I basically own a Dunlop Crybaby, a Boss overdrive and my guitar. Everything sounds great through it. I have compared it to the Marshall JMD:1 and there is absolutely no comparison when it comes to the overdrives. The Marshall Cleans are awesome though I must say but the JMD:1 costs $900. One thing I am bummed out about is the fact it didn't come with a footswitch. They don't make them anymore so they are extremely hard to find. If you see one of these for sale do yourself a favor and get it. You'll be surprised about the tones that come from this thing. I'm pissed about the footswitch so an 8 for this section. // 8

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014