RG75D/G2 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 03/24/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RG75D/G2
75W hi-gain 1x12 combo with 2 channels, 3 modes, and pro level controls and connectivity. Clean channel features a footswitchable boost. Distortion channel has Brit and Modern modes, contour control and shape switch. Both channels have independent 3-band EQs and reverb control. 12" Celestion Seventy 80 speaker. Spring reverb. 16 onboard digital effects. Effects loop with in and out level controls. 4/8-ohm external speaker outs.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 9.3
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
reviews (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
RG75D/G2 Reviewed by: ninjacrow, on august 13, 2007

Features: This amp is from the G2 series of Randall amps, which are being replaced by the G3 series. I presume that it was made in 2005-2006 but I'm not sure. It has 2 channels (clean and overdrive) and the overdrive has 2 gains old gain (English rock) and new gain used for more American and newer metal. These don't seem to different when cranked right up to full but when you play around with it you can get a lot of sounds. // 9

Sound: I'm using an SG on it and the sounds amazing even for my beat up old guitar. This is really heavy on the palm mutes but really light on the clean channel. The built in effects that come in it are handy for the clean and overdrive channels. Even the useless effects (hall, and room) have there own unique touch to them. This amp could be used anywhere as there is a jack to connect it up to another amp etc. I haven't cranked it up to the highest volume yet because I've got complaints from the neighbours about my previous amp being loud, and it was only a 25 watt amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never broken down (cause it's Brand New) however if this amp would brake down I would be extremely surprised, cause my guitar broke before it, the second day I had it. Couldn't get enough of this amp from the moment I got it home. The house quaked with it only on 5 and that was the end of my doubts, the amp would destroy my house and still live. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match. The only thing that this amp hasn't done is make me breakfast in the morning, but find me an amp that can. I compared this to a Vox something that was $200 more, it was an amazing amp, but it lacked something that this one has plenty of, presence. This amp gets you noticed and is brutal to the last breath. // 9

RG75D/G2 Reviewed by: Ultimate_Gio92, on march 24, 2008

Purchased from: Gear Music

Features: First off, I'd like to say that this is an amazing amplifier which suits me and my styles perfectly. I think this amp was made in 2006 but I could be wrong. I mostly play heavy metal and hard rock with the occasional clean song. It has 2 channels on it, the overdrive and the clean. The clean channel sounds bad unless you know how to EQ it good, it doesn't sound good with all knobs turned up to ten, or zero or 5. You have to play with it to get that amazing clean sound. The overdrive channel is amazing, I can have a very high gain setting on it, or a british sort of gain setting. It has a voicing feature on the mid's. what's great is that on the overdrive channel there are 2 gains, both which you can adjust, so if I am ever in the bluesy tone mood, I can turn down the gain on the "Gain 1" setting while leaving the "Gain 2" setting on full. It has effects built into it, which I find is useful because I like to use my reverb and chorus alot. I also like to use them both together sometimes and it's awesome because there is a "reverb + chorus" setting on it. Another awesome thing is that there is an effects knob on both the overdrive and clean channels, so for overdrive I can have th effects knob turned on 3, and when I turn the effects on with the foot Switch I can get a slight reverb, but on my clean channel I can have the effects knob on 7 and have a lot of reverb on it. I don't like the flanger, phaser or tremolo effects on this amp, but that's mostly because I don't like to use those effects in general. I use this amp at home, and jams with my buddies. It gets the job done nicely. One feature I wish it had is more gain. I am a person who likes his gain, and likes lots of it. This amp has a lot of it, but it could have more. But that is good as well because it's helping me to clean up my playing. // 9

Sound: I use a Dean FBD and Ibanez Gio with this amp. With my Dean I use a dimebucker and a zebra pickup. With my Ibanez I use 2 powerhouse pickups. This amp suits my music styles perfectly (mostly heavy metal, thrash metal, death metal). I find that this amp is not noisy at all, no feedback, hiss or hum. As far as I know the clean channel only distorts when the bass is past 7.5 and the treble is on too high (9 or 10). I have already talked about the distortion before. I recently got an acoustic guitar and I like plugging it into this amp. The clean sound is amazing, and when I turn on the Reverb setting on 6 it sounds incredible! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely depend on it in a gig, seems like a very sturdy and well built amplifier. It has never crapped out on me before, but that's mainly because it's so new. There is no need for regular servicing, mostly because it's not a full tube amp. it's a tube hybrid amp. Only one tube. I keep this amp in a room with normal temperature, with good airflow between the amp and a wall. I do not bang it up or sit on it. I do not block the fan, and I don't take it apart for fun (like I do with my MG). No neglect from me. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 3 years now. I own a Marshall MG10CD (shitty little thing), an SX Scorpion Acoustic Lefty, Dean FBD Lefty, and Ibanez Gio Lefty, and an Ibanez Smashbox distortion pedal (don't use it anymore). If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again because I am very happy with this amplifier, and for the time being it suits me perfectly. It is not room or economically effective for me to get a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier just yet, or a 6505 just yet. This amp is a perfect for my skill level and my favorite tones. One thing I wish it had is 2 speakers instead of 1, this may be me but 2 speakers sound a bit better than 1 on these RG models (I tried out a 2 speaker model before and it sounded a tad better). // 9

RG75D/G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2008

Purchased from: Buckley's Music

Features: This amp can cover pretty much any style of music you throw at it. I've played blues, rock, funk, metal and thrash through this amp and it sounds freaking sweet! It has two channels: gain (with high gain and classic gain (gain 2 and gain 1 respectively)). Comes with a foot switch for channel switching, a clean boost and a Switch for the built in effects. Also has an outboard effect loop for racks and that kinda stuff. I mainly use the line out to patch the amp into my church's PA system for a better sound quality. Has a headphone jack but I rarely use it. No point really. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (dual humbuckers) and I sometimes play an unknown model of B.C. Rich through it (S/H configuration). This is the best amp I have ever played! Suits any musical style you can throw at it and takes it asking "That all you got?" I play pretty much everything, ranging from blues to rock to heavy metal to thrash metal and a little bit of grunge. The only time it tends to get noisy is when you throw the volume on everything full blast, but you don't need to. It has plenty of volume at only a five or a six. I have never turned it above that. Clean channel is sweet and it stays clean no matter what you do, except if you throw a distortion pedal on it obviously. The distortion is the best distortion I have ever played. It can sound like a Marshall but without the typical Marshall scoop in the middle. Your settings are your settings and they stay that way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have done plenty of gigs at my church with this awesome amp and got killer results using only my guitar and a Dunlop Zakk Wylde wah pedal from time to time. I will be taking it to a coffee house in a few weeks time. I'll comment on the performance after. Never had any problems with it. Solid state amp that has a tube sound? Can't beat that! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles, as stated above. This is the best amp I have ever played in my life and I'll never change amps for the world. I plan on buying my own as soon as I can get a job and afford one. I've been playing for three years and I've been using the gear as stated above. Never had to ask a thing. Best amp of all time! If this amp were stolen, I'd find the moron that stole it and beat the crap outta him, then take my amp back... but if I had to buy it, I would do it in a heartbeat! I love the whole amp. My only complaints are minor ones, the highs on the clean channel could be a little better at lower volumes (I usually fix that with the boost Switch anyhow, so it's all good) and I hate how heavy this thing is! Compared to Marshalls in the same power wattage area, but this blew them all away. I chose this because a) the school loaned it to me and b) has a better tone, sound and built in effects (16 of them). The only thing I wish it had was a lower price tag. From Buckley's Music, it's at least 500 bones. That's pretty expensive for a working guitar player! // 9

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Bluesman 4x10 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 02/25/2014