RG75DG3 Review

8.1
reviews (6) pictures (1) 20 comments vote for this gear:
RG75DG3 Reviewed by: mwps, on september 03, 2007

Purchased from: West End Rock Shop

Features: I love this amp. I use it as a practice amp and for small gigs as my Marshall TSL gets to be a lot to haul. I play metal, rock, classic rock and blues. I also play into other genres but those are my main. This amp kicks butt for what I do. This amp is a hybrid 75w tube/mosfet power amp. It features a single 12" celestion speaker; effects loop; line out; 16 digital effects (the only thing I wish it had was a tap tempo like on a Line 6 for delay); clean controls and distortion controls; it has clean, overdrive 1 and overdrive 2, and it's all footswitchable. // 9

Sound: I play it with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus (awesome guitar). On overdrive 1 it's got that classic hard metal sound and then you hit overdrive 2 and it's got that great newer metal/rock sound. It has some of the best distortions that I have ever heard on this size of an amp. Clean is amazing it is just a great sounding clean amp as well. This amp is super loud, it has a closed back and each distortion and clean each have a volume knob and then there is a main master volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp very long but when I bought it and it was shipped to me, it has a hum that is a bit louder then normal but you don't notice at all when your playing. From what I can tell though it is built like a tank and I would never worry about this breaking down. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I just can't say enough good things about this amp. I looked and looked and looked for a small practice/gig amp and finally was pointed in the direction of Randall. I compared it to many other amps and this one just can't be beat, especially for the price. If it was ever stolen I would definately get another one. So my advice to you is to buy this amp! // 10

RG75DG3 Reviewed by: Blekzebbed, on november 16, 2007

Purchased from: Tonika, Groningen

Features: I recently bought the Randall RG75G3. It is the third in the RG series, very new. The RG75 doesn't have any special effects, just a clean and an overdrive channel. But the amp has 17 knobs to adapt your sound with. You can edit the amount of volume, reverb, gain, contour, middle, treble, bass. Within the overdrive channel you can choose between gain 1 and gain 2. Gain 1 has a very '60 rock sound, while gain 2 is more suitable for hard rock and metal. There is one '12 inch Celestion speaker in this amp, and with its 75 watt this amp can be pretty loud! There is an input for a foot Switch and there are some more holes for stuff like cabinets. For me it has enough features, because I wanted to have an amp with an overall good sound. I have the Boss ME-50, so the amp didn't to have any effects. I'm happy with the features, but it really depends on what you are searching for. // 9

Sound: I have a pretty cheap guitar, a Peavey Predator. I'm still quite happy with it, but I'm quite sure the amp is better than this guitar. In the guitar shop where I bought this amp, I had been testing amps for more than an hour, when I reached the Randall things changed. I noticed this Randall has a Very good clean sound. A perfect basis for my Boss ME-50.I love playing metal, but also acoustic stuff. Bands like Opeth and Black Sabbath are my favorites. This amp is really great for playing stuff like that. But there are some things that suck. The bass is often way to extensive. You really have to turn that down and crank up the treble. It's just a thing you need to know, once you've done that the sound of the amplifier is great in my opinion. On a high volume the overdrive can be a little noisy too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Randall is known as a reliable brand. I would love to believe that but my amp has 2 problems. Problem 1: 20 seconds after I have turned on my amp, a buzzing sounds comes up. I don't know if it's normal for this amp or not, but I think it's quite loud. It doesn't matter if there is a cable attached to the amp, and when master level is at 0 the buzzing simply continues. If you have this amp please comment me about this! The second problem is that the amp sometimes stops working. After playing for like half an hour, the volume is gone or very soft. So I have to get back to the shop with this amp. It's a strange problem. // 6

Overall Impression: Although I had some problems with it, I think this amp is great. The amp is perfect for the kind of music I play. If the amp broke down, I probably would buy a new one, but I do not have the money at the moment. Before this amp I had a small 15 watt Peavey practice amp, compared to that this amp rules. The bass can be annoying, but once you've turned that down everything is fine. I've been playing for 5 years, so it was time for a new amp. The weight of this Randall is about 20 kg, kind of heavy to carry around. Please comment on this review, I know my English sucks and if you have any questions, please comment. // 8

RG75DG3 Reviewed by: AngryGoldfish, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Dublin

Features: This amp has 75 Watts of the new "Valve-Dynamic" combo power with 1x12 Celestion Seventy 80 speakers. It has 2 channels with corresponding modes: Gain 1: Classic hi-gain Gain 2: Modern hi-gain. It then has voicing and contour controls and all the rest like treble, middle, reverb and the such. The Clean channel has a boost option installed which is the best I found. This contains 3-band EQ's from a 12AT7 tube driven MOSFET power circuit. There is an effects loop and you can control those levels with easy to use, but basic control knobs. There is a line out as well which is very useful but is of course common place now among all amps of this price range. Mine had RF4G3 footswtich as well, always a practical addition as I don't like using pedal distortions or stomp boxes. You can't beat a true vavle tone straight into the guitar! // 8

Sound: I used an ESP 1000 with EMG's fitted on this big boy. I thought that would be the most effective Tool in which to test it out. It's not that I was wrong but I wasn't majorly impressed with the way this amp cut itself. I've heard all these excellent comments about it, but I found it to be pretty boring. There is no other way of putting it, I became bored of it after half an hour. The best tone I found was the dirty channel with gain cracked full(not normally my taste)with everything about up to 9 on the dials. Which was brittle, tight and very grungy I personaly thought. Great, solid, but I grew weary of it. This is the first problem I'm going to mention, the amount of gain on this thing was pathetic. As I mentioned, I'm not into increased amounts of distortiong but this was maxed and still couldn't keep up with my old Vox AD 30VT! Even on a high volume it only just stepped up the mark by a small margine. The second problem is its lack of variety in it's tone. There are particular settings on it that you would never use because they are so basic. Possibly if effects were added to the mix it could of spiced it up a bit or maybe an extra channel, crunch could of boosted it's appeal. I just couldn't get past certain tones, but that could well of been my own fault. The clean channel then was unspectacular, for want of a more, praise worthy phrase. Although it completed it's job of dishing out a nice, smooth dash of reverb soaked clean tones, I wasn't astonished in any way. It just was adequate. For a valve powered amp, it didn't quite Drive itself to newer heights the louder it was turned. It didn't break up or something similar, it just did nothing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Now this is where this beast shines! It is very rugged in its construction and the lack of fiddly dials make the chucky knobs perfectly suited for a punk stage set up! This amp belongs in a punk circuit if you ask me, it just reigns in crunchy goodness! The tubes will last longer than your normal tube amps as it doesn't rely on them soley so the tubes cased within are not pressured so vigorously all the time. This is worthy of playing Live anywhere without a backup, loud enough and strong enough! // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a band that is constantly struggling to find its sound. We like it that way. We go from one thing to another and this amp does not belong in my rehearsal room I'm afraid. it's a shame because it is a decent amp. I have now sold this amp onto my friend Who is a grunge fiend and he loves it. I don't think it suited me, we just couldn't get along as well as I had hoped. What I do love and I mean love, is it's simplicity and it's pride in that simplicity. It demands to be heard when you turn it on. It strikes your ear with that bitting and brutish tone. After that though, it falls down into lower eyeline and stays there, bashing out solid grunge, rock and punk tunes! // 8

RG75DG3 Reviewed by: Marnz, on january 12, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Sight & Sound

Features: This is another great amp from Randall. I own the RG75 G3 with reverb and it sound sweet. I has a single Celestion 70 80 speaker and it is a hybrid amp. It has a tube driven circuit giving it a nice clean sound while when clicked into overdrive a metal machine. I play Grunge, Metal, Classic and Modern rock and punk. I think the amp is fine without the built in effects becuase you can only use 1 effect at a time anyway. It has plenty of power but whn you reach a certain level of sound the safety cut out takes effect which is a good thing as you don't want to wreck the speaker. I use this amp as my gigging amp and as my practice amp is does the job pretty well! It has 3 channels, Classic Rock, Modern Metal and Clean. It has a 4 way footswitch which has a channel selector, a gain selector for changing in between distortion channels, a clean boost channel and an effects button for turning your effects/reverb on and off. // 10

Sound: I'm using an LTD M-50 and it is perfect for metal, grunge, rock etc. In the Distortion Department it rocks so does the clean channel. it's very noisy but the downside is that it has a cut off Switch which wrecks the fun. The clean can get a little distorted at high levels but it can be pretty loud when it's clean! The Distortion is suited for anything distorted. if you go to loud though it sounds pretty crap. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can take this amp to a gig without having to take a back up or borrow another bands amp which can be pretty embarrasing according to one of my band mates. I haven't wrecked it yet as I have only had it for a month but if it died all of a sudden I'd go out and bury it and buy another one! it's the best amp I've had so far and I have had 3 amps before it! // 9

Overall Impression: As I have said many times it's perfect for grunge, metal, rock etc but I wouldn't suggest it for blues unless you can tweak the distortion well. I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I own, a Silvertone smart III's 10watt amp which I practically no longer use because of my new Randall! I have a Monterey MA30GR 30watt practice amp which I mainly use when I have to travel to my friends house to practice because the Randall can fit in our car. I have a MG S4 micro Marshall amp which I use for nightime practice and busking. I don't like the auto cut off and the fact that when the reverb is turned up but it isnt on the effect of reverb still appears. The thing that got me to buy it was that the RG75R didn't sound right for some reason and that the Marshall 75 (I don't know the exact model) was crappy. I know it was an MG though. I love the fact that it's the perfect amp for anything metal, rock, grunge and what ever comes along the lines of that. I wish it didn't have the bloody auto cut out! I need things loud! If my Randall got stolen I'd Rush out and by another one the very same day! // 10

RG75DG3 Reviewed by: dash-rendar, on july 07, 2011

Price paid: C$ 650

Purchased from: Chez La Guitarre

Features: Amplifier specs are as follows: - 75 watts, solid state - 2 channels - overdrive (with vintage/modern option) and clean (w/ boost on footswitch - Plate reverb (I believe) - 15" Celestion speaker - Four button footswitch w/ connection cable included (Channel select, gain selection for overdrive channel, clean boost and reverb). It does have an effect loop but I don't use it. I run all my pedals through the front of the amp. - No headphone jack I think it has all the features I'm ever going to need, so no complaints. I don't use the reverb a lot of the time, so I usually just turn it off. I use this amp for the occasional gig with my friends, jamming at home and for playing at my church. // 9

Sound: My chain currently consists of the following - Ibanez ARC 300 guitar (dual humbuckers) > Boss TU-3 tuner > Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator > Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature Wah > Randall RG75G3. I play everything from rock to metal to country to blues, not a lot of jazz. I think the amp mostly suits more to the rock/metal side of things. The amp has a MASSIVE amount of gain on tap. I have been able to get a good blues/classic rock tone on the gain channel turning the gain on Vintage overdrive to 2 and lowering my guitar volume a bit and rolling off a bit of tone. It fits all my styles quite nicely. The amp's clean channel does just that - stays clean. It doesn't distort at all on any setting with the exception of diming the controls and hitting the boost, but I would never do that in any application. I'm going to get a chorus pedal soon just to add a bit of spice to the clean sound itself. Distortion settings can handle just about anything, but like I said, it's mostly for the hard rock/metal stylings as opposed to blues and classic rock, but since metal is my mainstay, it's all good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this amp. It has given me a few problems here and there, but nothing totally out there. I did accidentally mess up my amp once because I was running it through a PA at a different voltage and it ended up f--king up my transformer in the amp which lead to me getting it replaced (thank God it was under warranty!), and then a capacitor started leaking fluid a couple months back but that was a simple fix for a local repairman. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said above, I've been playing everything and anything for the past 7 years and love it. This amp is a great match for most of what I play, but I do wish the lower gain channel was just that - lower gain. I'll probably buy an overdrive pedal and run it through the clean channel for my blues/classic rock tones if I can get one soon. I had no surprises when I bought the amp, as I had gotten introduced to it in my school's music program (only electric guitar amp available) and I knew all the ins and outs. If it were stolen/lost, I would either hunt down the bastard/bitch that stole it and kick the shit out of them, or just go out and buy another one. I didn't compare it to anything because I knew it was what I wanted at the time, and still love it. I am currently looking at getting an Orange Rockerverb 50 amp head for when I start gigging in an actual band situation. Overall I would definately recommend this amp. // 9

RG75DG3 Reviewed by: spam2201, on april 27, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: The amp is very aesthetically pleasing, it's nice to look at, it looks modern and interesting, difficult to fault it there. // 8

Sound: The amp kicked out a good sound, had a nice tone through both active and passive pick-ups, even with pick-ups as aggressive as active EMGs. The tone was not compromised. // 8

Reliability & Durability: At first the amp seemed perfect! It was loud, didn't compromise tone or quality, didn't distort on clean settings and was good in general. Then it overheated and made a horrible buzzing sound upon turning it on, it also had a bad smell, like burning too. I got it replaced and a similar problem came about with that too, it wouldn't start, just refused to turn on. I would not recommend this amp to anyone when there are better products on market for the same/less price. // 2

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal but do like to play along to calmer stuff such as Coldplay or Red Hot Chili Peppers so the amp was as versatile as my taste in music. I've been playing for 5 years and I now own a Bugera 333XL Combo. Overall I wouldn't recommend this amp to anyone due to the unreliability. // 2

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014