RH150G3 Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 02/17/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RH150G3
The RH150G3 features 150 watts of power, 2 channels w/ 3 modes, dual 3-band EQs, clean channel w/ boost option, spring reverb, and includes a RF4G3 foot controller.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Features: 8.8
 8.7
 8.2
 9.1
reviews (5) pictures (1) 48 comments vote for this gear:
RH150G3 Reviewed by: metal_militia, on october 11, 2006

Purchased from: Mean Axe

Features: I believe it is a 2006 model, this amp is pretty versatile in what I play (metal, hard rock) It has 3 channels: classic gain (Metallica/old school), modern gain (Slayer/Lamb Of God), clean is not that bad but this amp is built like an OX for metal. The amp dosent have effects aside from reverb which I hate because when I solo I like lots of reverb. I use this amp for practicing/band/gigging and it seems to work alirghty. Randall made a interesting Valve Dynamic where the amp has the all tube sound and it's solid state. The only thing I would change with the features is more effects if you are a shredder, the reverb sucks. // 9

Sound: This head sounds sick I use it with the Randall 412CXM Cab with a ESP LTD M-400 (EMG 81s) it suits my music style and it has great tone. The amp is pretty noisy especially if you crank er up (which I do) and sometimes I noticed that it squeals a bit (not a dimebag squeal), but I bought a matching cab so it can handle the power. The clean is pretty clear and it comes with a boost to make it louder (they should done that with the gain too). I like to shred and solo a lot and I noticed that there isnt a lot of reverb and the Modern gain upsets it so I have to switch to classic. Now I have to buy pedals for effects. But overall the sound is deep heavy and warm although the lack of effects sucks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with it and it hasn't failed me yet, it is a solid state/tube head so it is reliable. The amp has never broken down and it is a tank. The amp also has a sexy metal grill. I can depend on it for now, although in the future I might upgrade to a 300w and get a second cab to complete the monster. // 9

Overall Impression: This head is perfect for what I play which is Slayer, Kreator, Lamb Of god, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament etc. I have been playing for 7 years now and this is my first stack so it's working solid. If it was lost/stolen I would hunt down that who stole it and light him on fire. Although it has no effects and shitty reverb the gain is the best I have ever heard and the deep tone can shake any metalheads testicles. // 10

RH150G3 Reviewed by: RockerD416, on july 07, 2008

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: Believe the amp was made in 2006/2007. This is a 150W hybrid amp (i.e., solid-state preamp driven by a 12AT7-powered power section). Has 2 channels (your typical clean and dirty sounds), but the dirty channel has 2 gain modes (gain 1 is more of a vintage hi-gain, Gain 2 is a totally modern, metallic hi-gain). The clean has a boost switch that is footswitchable (as is the gain selector). The channels have individual 3-band EQs (the dirty channel also has a voicing switch which scoops the mids), volume, and reverb. There is a footswitchable reverb/effects loop. It is a totally gig-worthy head by features. // 10

Sound: I play a PRS Tremonti SE loaded with EMG 81/85 pickups tuned to Drop C. Randall is known for making hi-gain amps geared towards more aggressive rock/metal, etc (Randall is endorsed by artists such as Dan Donegan of Disturbed, John Connolly and Clint Lowery of Sevendust, Aaron Fink of Breaking Benjamin, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Kirk Hammett, the late Dimebag Darrell, etc.) This amp is no exception; it can easily handle some of the most heavy and aggressive styles of music with ease. Lots of clarity even with the gain at 10, massive tight low end, screaming highs, just a well rounded sound. That said, even though it is a rock/metal amp, it is very versatile. It can probably handle anything you throw at it. Nice clean sound (nicer than most hi-gain heads I've played); if you crank the reverb and use your neck or middle positions it is possible to get a Tremonti-style clean sound. The only grievances I have against the amp is 1) Poor reverb, and 2) Because it is a hi-gain head, your higher-gain sounds can be prone to feedback, even with low-noise EMGs. A noise gate (like an MXR Smart Gate) would easily counteract that. All in all, sounds pretty damn good. Exactly what I'm going for (hard alt-rock/metal a la Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, etc). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't gigged with it yet (I'm in between bands), but I have transported it many places and it has held up. More reliable than a tube head, because it's mainly solid-state, and looks and feels far more sturdy than the Randall R412JX cab that came with it (I'm about to get rid of the cab, I'm using my Marshall 1960A cab instead). I feel very confident about it. // 10

Overall Impression: Exactly what I was looking for. Fits the style of music I play and works very well with my EMG-loaded PRS. I sold my Peavey Ultra Plus head to get this rig. Very wise move on my part. Also note that it is a very affordable head, not to mention that it is also right up there with most higher-end amps, even with it's less-than-$500-new price tag. I'd recommend this to anyone seeking a tight, punchy hi-gain sound, but needs a good clean as well. // 10

RH150G3 Reviewed by: Psycho_McFool, on april 25, 2008

Features: I recently bought the 300 watt version of this now discontinued hybrid amp head, which was built in 2007. (It's now the RH150G3PLUS, the circuitry's different somehow) In terms of versatility, this amp can handle pretty much anything I throw at it, from Funk to Classic Rock to Neoclassical Shred, but it is obviously made for Metal. This has 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. The Overdrive channel has not only a Contour control, but 2 types of gain, Gain 1 being Classic Hi Gain and Gain 2 being Modern Hi Gain. This effectively makes it a 3 channel amplifier. It does have Reverb on each channel. The clean channel has a Boost Switch which makes it louder. The Overdrive has a Voicing Switch which increases the potency of the Mid control. There are Effect Loop Send and Return Hacks at the back. It comes with the RF4G3 Footswitch which has Channel, Gain, Clean Boost and Reverb/Effect buttons. This amp is perfect as it is, but what would kick ass would be if it came with a Gain Boost on the Overdrive Channel. It'd be more useful than the Voicing Switch. But I can always use a Tube Screamer for that. I actually use this (with the RA412CX Cab) in my bedroom, but it is really loud. 300 watts is more than enough power. The distinctive feature of this amp is it's Valve Dynamic technology, featuring a Mosfet Power Section driven by a single 12AT7 Preamp Tube. That said, this isn't a true Solid State, but it offers the simplicity of a Solid State with tone more similar to a tube amps. // 10

Sound: I use an ESP SV Standard guitar with EMG 81 pickups, which I'm planning on switching for Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts. I am a Death and Thrash Metal guitarist, and I find this amp to suit those styles more than perfectly. I palm mute a lot, and the bottom end of this amp is amazing. I've managed to get a tone comparable to Dino Cazares' on Fear Factory's Demanufacture album. And with a bit of tweaking, a whole variety of tones can be achieved, from the Peppers to Zeppelin to DevilDriver & Arch Enemy. Though you really would want this for the latter. The clean channel stays clean no matter how hard I crank it. The overdrive is just what you'd expect from a Randall. It's relatively thicker and more-valve sounding than the overdrive on the G2 Series, but equally as brutal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use a backup in a gig. As I've only acquired it recently, It hasn't broken down yet, and I don't think it will never break down if proper care is taken. It's built like a fortress and would survive the apocalypse itself. I'm not keen to test that theory, but you get what I mean. // 10

Overall Impression: I recommend this amp for Solid State loving metalheads. If it was stolen or lost, I'd buy another one, drop it on the thief, and retrieve both amps. They probably wouldn't be damaged. I have been playing for just over 2 years. I run an ESP SV Standard through a DigiTech EX7 into this amp. Prior to this I used a practice amp with a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion pedal. It sucked. It was a massive upgrade from that amp to this one. Not only does it sound menacing, it looks menacing with an almost all black aesthetic and metal grill with metallic logo. I chose this amp because I wanted something decent, durable, loud enough and worth the money I spent. I got more. // 10

RH150G3 Reviewed by: DOHC, on may 30, 2011

Purchased from: Fleabay

Features: This is a 2006 model, 2 channel hybrid amp. It has a 12AT7 tube driving a MOSFET power section to produce 150w of power. It has 2 foot switchable channels, clean and gain. The amp features 2 gain stages, with a voicing switch, contour control and its own separate EQ. It has a stereo FX loop, and finally, a reverb function. The clean channel also has a boost option. I use this amp for home practice through a Randal RA412XL100 cab. It is a fairly basic amp, and I think the features included reflect this. Everything is clearly marked and easy to use. It also has more than enough power for any situation! Randall also made a 300w version but I cannot imagine using that for home practice. // 7

Sound: I play both a Dean HardTail, with 2 Duncan designed pickups, for rock/clean/bit of metal, and a epi les paul fitted with Bareknuckle Warpigs, for detuned playing. The amp handles all 3 styles with easy, providing enough midrange crunch on Gain 1 to handle older rock, whereas the gain 2 setting has more than enough distortion on its own, plenty of bass (the cab helps this however) for lower tunings, and a superb bite. Using the higher gain setting does result in a fair bit of feedback between playing so invest in a noise gate or a killswitch! The clean channel is surprisingly good (often overlooked on "metal" amps) with lots of clarity and real feedback from the EQ. You can also boost it to get a bit of breakup at higher volumes. The distortion is very "american", so you're looking at more Lamb of God than Iron maiden! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I brought this amp already broken from Ebay for 60. It apparently just had a blown transformer, but after just over 200 of repair work, it turned out the transformer issue had cook the rest of the circuit boards, which needed replacing. Also, parts are not available in the UK. After the repair work this amp has been flawless however I would consider a backup if I was gigging. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal, bit of hardcore, blues, rock, "clean", I try and keep it varied (constant chugging gets boring after a while). The amp suits all styles well in my opinion. If it was stolen or lost, it would be hard to find another one, but I would defiantly get another Randall. Like all "big" amps it weighs a fair bit so that's something to take into account if you're weak. My last amp was an old solid state Laney GH120 so this was somewhat of an upgrade! If you can get a 2nd hand one cheap, and you need a solid, versatile amp, then I highly recommend one. // 7

RH150G3 Reviewed by: johnfs, on february 17, 2014

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Local shop

Features: Bought this amplifier in 2009, I guess it was made earlier that year or the year before. It's the version without effects, except for the reverb. It had to replace my Marshall 30W tube head, some rare 'Artist' model which sounded good but got old and wasn't really up to the job for the band and music I was doing at that time.

It has the usual setup. Clean channel with boost, dirty channel which can switch between two different gain stages: Gain 1 goes high, gain 2 goes higher. Also there's a voicing switch. 3 band eq (bass, middle and treble) plus a presence. Another 3 band eq for the clean channel. Master volume and separate volumes for clean and dirty channel. Quite complete, but I would have preferred it if "gain 1" shared the eq with the clean channel so I could scoop the mids for rhythm and use different settings for the lead channel. // 8

Sound: I hate the sound of this amp with a passion. At least, cranked up. At low volumes at home it isn't to bad. It's got such a massive low end that you (at least I) can't control it. Although I play downtuned (D and drop-C) metal on it, I turn the bass knob all the way down. I'm running it through a Marshall JCM800 2x12" cab. I used gain 2 for lead, but at the right gain setting it's too loud. Changing to rhythm on the gain 2 with lower gain setting and using gain 1 for lead is a bit better. Still, the lead sound just sucks.

I also tried using different stomp boxes: Rocktron Rampage, DigiTech hot-head, some Boss overdrive in front of the dirty channel. Also tried it in front of the clean channel. Put a Line 6 Pod2 in front of it but that also wasn't it. Did I mention it produces a lot of noise? I recorded once with this amp. Didn't matter which gain setting, it just keeps sounding like crap. I tried a lot of different guitars with it. My Fender HM Strat, Ibanez S470, SZ520, Schecter Omen, Epiphone Les Paul with better pickups (can't remember the brand), Ibanez with EMG's in it, Fender Stratocaster. It doesn't really matter, nothing sounds good on this amp. Only bedroom volumes, that's where this 120W amp really shines.

BTW, it's the first one I got broke down on me after a few weeks. Got another one (warranty). Sounded exactly the same as the first one and is just as noisy. Anyway, it's the worst sounding amp I ever owned. Except for the clean channel, that's ok. Too bad I hardly use it, but it's the reason I give this amp a 2 instead of 1. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The good think is that it's build like a tank. And it's almost as heavy. Solid state amps should be lighter than tube amps, but this must be the exception. At the moment it's my only amp with enough power for gigging, but I will not use it that way. My previous band quit before getting to that point, my current band started 6 months ago and in that time we had only one gig. Fortunately I could use a Marshall (tube) head that time. As I mentioned, it get good points for the reliability and durability. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't really know what we play. Some sort of metal. I'm influenced by a lot of players and bands. I've been playing for 25+ years, although not very much in the years around 2000. At the moment I own a Fender HM Strat, Ibanez RG321 and a Charvel Model 1. Also an acoustic Charvel steel string and some effects which I hardly use. Fortunately, I also have a 5W tube head which sounds more metal (with the Digitech Hot Head in front of it) than anything the Randall can deliver. Only not as loud.

My overall impression of this amp still isn't too positive. It's too heavy, sounds terrible when using the amps distortion but it has a good clean channel. If it were stolen or lost... Well, after my Randall rant what do you think? Then again, it has just about the right height to sit on it when I'm thinkering with my motorcycles, so it isn't completely worthless. I'm putting away some money to get a decent amp. Less watts, more tubes. Something like an Engl Thunder or a Laney GH50. No Randall. I just don't like them. // 2

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014