RT50C Review

Randall: RT50C
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RT50C Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2013

Purchased from: AMS

Features: This Randall tube amp is the king of metal and hard rock when it comes to a combo. Starting front to back. Front starts with 2 channels clean and overdrive the clean has a tight or loose switch both have pregain controls a 3 band eq and an independent volume. The spring reverb and master volume are independent. It comes with a three button footswitch which allows control of the channels bypass the reverb or bypass the built in effects loop built in that is applied after the preamp so the effects can bypass the preamp and get the full effect of the effect. On the back there is a fuse that can be easily changed for different countries output bias adjustment for the 2 6l6 power tubes so they can be safely switched for el34. Now one of my favorite parts. Speaker outs both 4 ohm and 8 ohm for a cab. 50 watts af tube power is equal to about 120 solid state watts. The preamp tubes are 4 12ax7s. // 10

Sound: The sound this amplifier create is absolutely amazing. Hey can go from simple jazz clean tones to high gain metal shredding. Being a tube amp there is always going to be excessive noise when around other electronic devices and also it the ground sucks. In high gain mode I don't use alot of pregain but alot of postgain to make the 6l6 tubes sing. And they can efing scream. Being very loud I haven't tested the headroom quite yet but I am planning to sale the Celestion Seventy 80 and install an Eminence Tonker. The tonal capabilities aren't as versatile as a modeling amp of course but the eq can drastically change the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Thus far it is 100% reliable. Turn on the power and wait about 30 seconds for the tubes to fire up then plug in the guitar which I use Schecters and ESPs with EMGs exclusively and this amp can take all their output and more. I have a DigiTech RP300 connected to the input using the left out and into the effects loop with the right output so if wanted the effects can bypass the 4 12ax7s. I've had it about 3 months and haven't moved it except to spin it so I can't give a rating there but reliability gets a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: My very first impression was how heavy it was then how well it not only sounds but looks like a metal or hard rock amp with the expanded steel speaker cover. Very very well built with an open back but a screen screwed in place to protect the power tubes and anyone who likes to touch things that they don't know tube amps can KILL. Do not work on this yourself unless your either being supervised or know what your doing. I work with tube amps with one hand behind my back so I wont ground myself to the case. The bias for the 6l6s is .050 volts and el34s are .035 volts easily changed with a small flathead screwdriver and a dvom. Digital volt ohm meter. Weight is 50 lbs. Amazing tube amplifier for solid state pricing. Video from YouTube:

// 10

RT50C Reviewed by: guybrushd, on april 20, 2015

Price paid: € 490

Features: This amplifier has 2 channels: one Classic Clean and one Modern Overdrive both of them with equalization controls: Bass, Middle, Treble and Level. It has also a switch to switch between clean and overdrive channels. Both channels are controlled via the Master control knob. As a plus it provide a knob to control a reverb effect. The amp is All-tube power amp, with 2 x 6L6 (user-swappable for EL34s). On the back panel you can "easily" control the bias and swap the tubes reading the manual. It's also provided with a midi pedal with three switch to control the channels and reverb. // 10

Sound: Well, that's what let me fall on purchase it! This morning I went out to try an all tube amp to change my Marshall VS100 and I come back home with this awesome toy! I searched a lot the web to find a all-tube amp with sparkling clean, because I have many distortion pedals to play with. I played four amps, I always loved Marshall so I tried a couple of 'em (JCM 2000 DSL and JCM 900), then I played a Laney and a Blackstar HT20, but when I put the jack inside this, well, it has been awesome! A wonderful warm, defined and crystal clean! You can easily hear the differences of tone, selecting the pickup on your guitar and playing with the knobs as you wish. I moved than to the overdrive channel, nothing very signidicative with an Ibanez in the store, but when I played it at home with my Jackson SL3 with Seymour Duncan the story changed. Playing with EQ you can easily move from a light overdrive to a full bass distortion, and the real surprise has been the sustain, a lot of sustain! The notes looked like infinite and always clear. What I can say, this amp really made me happy, I use to play Metal, hard rock and not rarely clean songs, I always preferred Marshall tone but after played this the story changed, I think I will keep this amp for a long time, if you need to get more different sound you can easily add pedals vie the loops. My suggestion is give it a try you could be very surprised. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp can easily used in "small" pubs with its 50 watt of power. It's very though I think, and so it will last a lot. My surprise has been the weight, it's heavier than my old VS100 but with tubes and a Celestion 12" cone is normal right? It has also plastic covers on the corners so it will be less risky to damage it while transport. The front grid will also protect the cone so you will not have to worry about damaging the cone, and not all understand that while bringing an amp around anybody can easily damage the cone. // 10

Overall Impression: I use to play rock, hard rock and heavy metal and this amp is very nice with a front grid that looks like a "very bad guy," it's a good style, the controls are very responsive and there are a lot of options with controls and EQ, I liked the tube easy change and the programmable pedal switch. You have also a very comfortable stand-by switch. I use this also at home, and maybe what I missed is an had phone jack, but how can we say perfection is not human right? And at the end giving my Marshall back to the store I got back 200 euro so the final price has been 290. // 10

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD5C 9.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/10/2015