RX120DHS Review

Features: 9.3
reviews (3) 69 comments vote for this gear:
RX120DHS Reviewed by: andrex1212, on may 25, 2007

Purchased from: Matt's Music

Features: This is an almost brand new half-stack that I picked up today right off of display after playing some Pantera and Metallica on it for approximately 2 minutes. I instantly fell in love with the sound that this amp produced. Keep in mind, my previous amp was a Line 6 Spider II 212 which did have good sound, but nothing compared to the power of Randall's RX120D header on a 4 speaker Randall cab. This amp packs an insane punch, if you cram this in your jam space, you are gonna only need to crank'er up to volume 2 to blow away everyone in the room. There are 2 main channels, clean and overdrive with 4 settings on clean (level [volume], treble, mid, bass) and then 6 on overdrive (gain, treble, mid, bass, contour (somewhat of a tone knob), and volume). The clean setting is extremely crisp and nice for anything you would want to play with a clean setting, and the distortion is extremly crunchy and heavy for anyone Who loves metal, but you can also easily play any other style of rock by just turning down the gain, perfect for the music I play. Finally, there is an effect setting which you can toggle on and off. There are 2 knobs, one for the level of the effect and one to change effects. You can't mix effects but the simple little tremolo or delay that you wanna add really doesn't sound bad for a built in effect. // 10

Sound: I currently own a Schecter 006 Deluxe, a Washburn MG-20 and a BC Rich Warlock, all of these guitars are less than $600 but all play fairly well. I have played the Schecter and Washburn on this amp and they both sounded far superior on this amp than the Line 6 which I was previously using. I have not yet used this amp in a jam setting so I have yet to see how amazing this amp is along with drums, another guitarist, a bassist and a vocalist, and at insane volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp of course has never broken down so I am not the best person to ask when it comes to reliability, but from the build of this amp it seems very versatile, and I have only heard good things about the reliability of Randall products so I would assume the same for this one. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play death metal, heavy metal, screamo, punk and alternative rock along with other types of music and this amp seems that with a little tweaking and use of my Line 6 PODXT Live multi effect pedal I could easily acheive anything with this beast. I have only been playing for about 2 and a half years but I have progressed very far within these 2 years and personally I think I am very ready for this amp. So far I love this amp for the amazing sound of the distortion which gives me that edge which I always loved from Pantera, and I also love the tones I get out of playing the crisp clean setting. I was playing Patterns In The Ivy by Opeth on this earlier and it sounded amazing. So far I have been able to compare this to the Line 6 Spider II 212, and 2 different Marshall half stacks (can't remember the exact names of the two) and I personally think that this amp is far superior to any of the amps I have played for my personal style of music. The only thing I wish it had was a built in cup holder for the numerous alcoholic beverages and the numerous 2L water bottles I will need around when I start to shred on this amp! // 10

RX120DHS Reviewed by: RX120D, on may 29, 2007

Purchased from: Melody Music Center, Cornwall Ontario

Features: The amp was made in 2005 according to the serial number, I play a lot of metal but I also play some blues and rock. It is versatile enough to produce anything I need it to. Right now I'm rocking a Megadeth UA tone, but I also have a Zakk Wylde type sound with chorus and reverb coming through the amp and delay with my pedal. sounds unbelievable. It has 2 channels, Clean and Overdrive. you can Switch the channels with a button on the head, or with the footswitch(Channel/Effects). I run my effects through the FX loop in the back of the head, and my Boss MT-2 and PW-10 from my guitar to the input jack. I wish it had a better delay setting. it's kinda like a reverse delay thing, cool sometimes, not cool othertimes. that's the only effect I don't use. My amp is most of the time beside my computer so I can jam to some tunes. It has so much power, and the EQ is so nice and easy to use. it's more than powerful enough for any club gig or something like that. It's a solid state amp that sounds great even at high volumes. my usual volume setting for jamming with a drummer and the whole thing is usually: Master 5, Level 5. which makes the total volume around 2.5 of 10. More than plenty. // 10

Sound: I'm running a Jackson JS30RR with EMG 81 in the bridge and stock neck pickup. it's sounds amazing. crisp, clean, everything you would want out of an amp. I get a little bit of noise at high volumes, but you can't hear it during a song or when you're playing. All you have to do is turn off the distortion between songs which is no problem at all and the noise dissapear. The only time I've had a noise problem was when I went to my friends house, the plugs are really old and it gave me a lot of noise, but everywhere else, it's great. Like I said before, a little tinkering with the eq and you can get many original tones, ranging from blues, to METAL \m/ or even some awesome clean sounds. The clean channel is nice, you can get a nice dirty clean out of it at high vol(or low) same with a nice clean sound. The head's distortion is great. lots of variety tone wise. produces a psycho Metallica tone to a more clean neo-classical tone if you like. what ever you want, it will give you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far it's held up very well, I've had it for almost a year now and have had no problems. I wouldn't even think about a backup at a gig, it's strong, built well, has a couple dings in the vinyl. all damage is minor cosmetic stuff. the only thing I had to fix was the grill on the back of the head, it came a bit loose over time and I just needed to re-tighten it. I have had no other problems with it since. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, like COB, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Death, Arch enemy, etc. it suits all styles and tones very well. I'm not exactly sure how long I've been playing, I think it's around 5 years now. I have a Jackson guitar, a Boss MT-2 and a Boss PW-10 wah pedal, and a borrowed DigiTech RP200 just for effects and whatnot. I wished I would have asked for a users manual when I got it because I never got one. if it were stolen I would cry, for a long time then get a job and buy it again. I love the tones and versatility of this amp, Randall knew what they were doing with this one. another awesome quality about this amp, is that is it about 2 1/2 inches (give or take) smaller on each side which makes it more lightweight and not so much of a beast to haul around. it's kinda like a "compact" half stack. I compared it to a Marshall half stack (not sure which one, can't remember) and the Line 6 Spider, and it stood out among them all. Great amp, I know I could hgave got it cheaper but I don't really care because it was worth the 900$ anyway. It looks great. Sounds amazing, great buy for any style of musician. // 10

RX120DHS Reviewed by: CullenT, on april 30, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: I bout this amp at the cheap price of $215 from a guy on craigslist because my crappy Fender Frontman 212 blew, and I needed an amp. It was probably made in 2006 or 2007, but I'm not exactly sure. It has 2 channels, clean and "overdrive" which are foot-switchable, separate, an effects loop, built in digital effects (not great), and an mp3 player in for practicing. It is a solid state amp, which only makes me wish i had saved for a tube head. I use it for bedroom practice, band practice, and gigging, and it cuts through nicely. // 8

Sound: I am running an Epiphone Les Paul (stock, except for tuners) in to this amp. I play alternative, grunge, and some metal and it does the job. I only use the clean channel, and it distorts some after about 7, but it's a step up from my Frontman, no doubt. It has tons of clean headroom and the cleans are warm, and decent enough. The "overdrive" channel doesn't really suit my needs, and tends to be fizzy (it IS a solid state after all), but could be usable with an EQ pedal. Again, I wish I had saved for a tube amp. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. It's built pretty sturdily, and I would gig without a backup easily. Problem is, I hope it doesn't fry, because SS amps are hard to fix when something goes wrong, so that is my only worry. I'm the second owner of this amp, it has been used in many band practices and gigs by both me and the first owner, and it has held up nicely. // 9

Overall Impression: For my styles, it does alright. I've been playing for 5 years, and I can't wait to upgrade all of my gear. I would not buy it again solely on the fact that I want a tube amp head, but if I were still into SS I would get this. I love the decent clean sound and headroom, but I hate the distortion channel, and myself for not waiting for a little more cash. // 7

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014