RX120RHS Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 02/20/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: RX120RHS
This 120-watt solid state beauty was made this year (2009). It's basically the RX120DHS, but without the digital effects module.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 9.5
 7.9
 8.6
 7.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
RX120RHS Reviewed by: kaizerkhan13, on october 01, 2009

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: This 120-watt solid state beauty was made this year (2009). Its basically the RX120DHS, but without the digital effects module. This amp is perfect for a metalhead on a budget. I thought I would need a pedal after reading reviews but about 10 minutes with the settings and I found the sound I wanted, with no trouble. The bottom end is crushing but not sloppy; its tight and it doesn't just drown out the notes. The mids and highs are crystal clear, and this beast is beautiful on clean. The footswitch it comes with is sturdy and effective. I use it at home, in band practice, and coming up this friday, gigs. Turn the volume up to 3 and your ears will be ringing. The only drawbacks are the sound through the headphone jack is tinny and theres a constant ghost noise when the giutar is turned all the way down, but I think that is a problem isolated to my amp. // 9

Sound: I'm running an ESP/LTD MH 53 through this amp with stock pickups. I play mainly death metal, hardcore, progressive, with a little bit of blues and ambient stuff mixed in. Whether I'm in E standard or down in C standard, this amp can sing. This amp can handle anything. The built-in reverb is simple, yet very effective. The clean channel can be a bit harsh on the ears when cranked though, and at first play the distortion isn't that brutal. Whats crucial is to play with the contour knob to find the right combination of gain and the other settings. After you find the settings you need though, it'll shake your bones apart. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The first thing I did when I got this amp was plug it in, crank it, stand on it and dive bomb away. Its a tank, its crazy loud, dependable, and comes with a 5 year warranty. Randall stands behind this product, with good reason. And since this is my only halfstack, I would use this without a backup; but from what I've seen so far, it doesn't need a backup. When I got this amp the power supply was messed up and the output was low, but a trip to the shop and a cable Switch took care of everything. It was a minor problem but after almost 700 spent, one that could have been avoided. // 7

Overall Impression: I wanted this amp for years before I got it. Its everything I knew it would be. Ive been playing for six years, and this is my third amp. I own a Line6 Spider III thirty watt, a Fender Starcaster and a Lyon starter guitar. I wish I could have really tested this amp before I bought it (the stores I went to only had the Kirk Hammet signature model) but, the end result would not have changed. If someone stole it...I'd kick their ass 668 times, one for every dollar I spent on it. And if I somehow managed to lose this 112 pound work of ART, I'd buy it again. I love the sound, the look, everything about it. Most of my favorite bands (Black Dahlia Murder, Born of Osiris, Darkest Hour) use or have used Randall products. I compared it to a Line6 150 watt stack, a Crate stack and a Raven stack. I chose this one because it sounded the best, it had the Randall name behind it, and it was the one I originally wanted. I wish it had a little more bottom end, just a touch, and a more precise equalizing system. all in all, for under a grand this is the halfstack for any metalhead that needs power, crunch, and badassed style on a budget. Buy this amp. // 9

RX120RHS Reviewed by: guilherme87, on february 20, 2013

Purchased from: GUitar Center

Features: So, I'm not sure when this solid state beast was made. The amp is versatile enough I suppose. I play in a Rock/Pop/RnB fusion band. We have done stuff from Aerosmith, and Van Halen, to Linkin Park, to Cee Lo Green and Michael Jackson. The amp has two channels. It came with a foot switch which I used before I got my pedal board and all of its pedals. The switch even had an on and off for the reverb which was actually a big help. It also has the effects loop which I've never used and the headphone jack. To be honest I mostly use it on its clean channel and use my pedal Board for everything else. // 10

Sound: I mostly use this with my 1989 Fender American Deluxe Strat HOT Rodded with DiMarzio Tone Zone, Chopper, and Air Norton Rail Humbuckers. The amp can get close to My tone but not close enough so I solely use the clean channel and rely on my pedal board for distortion and effects. The amp is not noisy AT all. The amp pretty much has an adjustable gain channel and then the clean channel. The clean channel doesn't distort at high volumes. And the distortion can be pretty menacing if you want the Nu-Metal scooped mids tone (I don't but hey it has its place). The only effect it has is reverb. Each Channel has a "level" and then there's the master volume which is interesting cause if you lower the level knob and bump up the master it makes the tone sound heavier but I 12 o'clock the level regardless. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I absolutely depend on this amp. To be honest I don't have a backup so if this thing broke down I would be in big trouble now wouldn't I? But no it seems to be very durable, I've dropped the head about 2 feet from the ground and it was fine, and I've lugged the thing around my house and in my truck to and from rehearsals and gigs and its a beast. I have given it some scratches and such but no its pretty crazy. On the cabinet there is the Randall logo and half of that logo broke so I had to screw it back on with a thicker screw, but you can't tell. Aside from that I love this thing. Although I can't say its got perfect tone. I need my pedals for that kind thing. // 8

Overall Impression: I love Randy Rhoads, EVH, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Steve Vai, all of those guys. I had a specific sound. Fairly distorted but not too trebly, nice tight low end. And I can get something close to that with the amp but agiain I use my pedalboard. But before I had my board I just used the footswitch and it did its job fine! So I guess Its a decent match. I've been playing 3 years and as far as half stacks this is all I own. I don't regret buying it and I have no questions left unanswered. If it were stolen I might try demoing a Peavey 5150 tube amp just to see how the tube amps sound but I'd probably go right back to my Randall. The thing is SOO chunky and full and bassy. I love the tone I get out of it, I tried a Marshall halfstack instead and felt I was gna have blood from my ears do to the immense treble and bite. I don't hate anything about it. // 10

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ Diavlo RD40C 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 08/13/2014