T2HLE Review

manufacturer: Randall date: 10/20/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Randall: T2HLE
For a hybrid amp, this amp is very versatile and seriously loaded for bear. This amp does exactly what I want it to do, and it does it with ease.
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
T2HLE Reviewed by: slimmetalpickin, on october 20, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: For a hybrid amp, this amp is very versatile and seriously loaded for bear. The clean channel is pristine clean to about 3/4 the way up. Anything after that you actually get what sounds like a nice tube break up. This is a two channel amp that does have a boost on the overdrive channel. It has a very effective Effects loop in the back with a separate level control dedicated to the effects loop. There is no headphone jack, but for me that is ok. This amp was meant to be played loud. And it accomplishes LOUD very well. It is rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms and 150 watts at 4 ohms. I run it through a Crate 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion Seventy 80's. It did come with a footswitch that has a dedicated line in the back. It also has a Mic XLR output on the back. I don't use it as I only play with friends. The one thing I dislike about the amp is the power switch is in the back of the amp. It seems to me that there is amp room on the front for it but whatever. In the preamp section it runs 3 ECC83S tubes and one 12AT7 in the power amp. The amp has your standard bass, mid and treble dials. But it also has a sweep dial that sweeps the mids. It does not affect the highs and the lows at all. It also has a Density and Presence dials. The Density is a bass boost and the Presence is a treble boost. They both work very well. I would be careful with the bass boost as it could be bad for your speakers. // 9

Sound: I mostly play Thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer. But on occasion I do play some Killswitch Engage, Hellyeah, Pantera, Lamb Of God etc. I also play a bit of 80's rock. This amp handles it all with ease. Considering I only run with the gain at 3/4 the way up. It has the balls to do whatever genre you want it to do. I use 3 guitars. My main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with standard pups. I also use a Dean 7 string and a Dean Dave Mustaine Signature. They all sound great. One nice thing is the seven string does not wash out on the B string. It stays nice and tight. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for about a month at the time of this review, but it is built like a tank. I would have no problem taking this amp and my cab to a gig. It weighs 58lbs and is only 27" wide. It is rock solid. It was shipped to me via UPS and survived the trip if that tells you anything. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp does exactly what I want it to do, and it does it with ease. I have compared this amp to the JCM 2000 Half Stack and it was not comparable. It smoked the Marshall on the distortion side of things. If this amp was stolen from me, I would hunt the turd down, beat the sh-t out of him, take my amp back and leave a bastard for dead. Or I would just go buy another one. I love the overall sound of this amp. If you are looking for an amp that chugs, this is your amp. The part I don't like is the fact that the power switch is on the back panel. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I wish it had was some sort of reverb. I'm not a huge fan of reverb but it is nice when you need it. // 8

More Randall reviews rating category latest review
+ RD20H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 07/16/2014