RG-20 Review

manufacturer: Raven date: 01/19/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Raven: RG-20
The Raven RG20 is a solid-state, hard rock combo amp with great looks and a killer price.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 7.5
 8.4
 6.5
reviews (4) pictures (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
RG-20 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on august 10, 2009

Features: I'm assuming that mine was most recently made in 2008 or 2009. I just ordered it online from Guitar Cente's website for the price of $99.99. It has 2 channels, clean and distorted and features the following controls, volume for the lead channel, gain, volume for the rhythm channel, Bass, Mid, Treble, Reverb/Delay button, Effects level, Built in tuner, input, line in, headphone jack and power switch. It's rated at a very LOUD 20 watts and has a 12" Raven speaker. // 8

Sound: I am using both my 2006 Fender Strat and my 2009 Epiphone Les Paul Studio with this combo, and for a practice amp it's not that bad. It does take a while to adjust it properly to your personal settings because IMO, the treble and the mids are very bright, while it's kind of hard to distinguish the difference between the reverb and the delay. The distortion on this is good if you're a blues player but if you're into Metal, forget it. It is however, very pedal friendly and very loud. This would be good for a small club gig or for band practice. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This seems like it's built like a tank. The front of it has a Black Metal Grille covering the front speaker, so I don't think you'll have to worry about anything happening to that. It weighs around 30 lbs and seems to be very well made. I don't see anything happening to this at all. It looks like it'll last me a while! // 10

Overall Impression: I play both 80's hair metal & classic rock and if I'm using a effects unit or some type of distortion pedal then this amp will do the job. But on it's own, for my kind of music, I don't think so. It seems to be more of a blues amp IMO. To it's credit it is wicked LOUD for a 20 watt combo and very durable. Seeing as I'm only using it for a practice combo, I feel like I got my money's worth. I've have played through worse in the past, so I can't really complain. Raven is a relatively new company so I'm willing to give them a chance even if they're owned by Guitar Center. // 8

RG-20 Reviewed by: dngrsdave, on january 22, 2010

Features: The Raven RG-20 is a Great Kickin Little Amp! It's hard to find a smaller sized practice amp without all the extra built in effects.I already have a DigiTech RP155 so I just needed a Solid Clear sounding Amplifier. This Amp is Awesome. It has 2 channels, a clean which I use mostly and a Lead with a Gain in addition to the volume to dial in distortion. Bass, Midrange and Treble as well as a Reverb or Delay. And a separate switch for a built-in tuner. I bought this New in Jan.2010. It's a Perfect Practice amp that's loud and clear enough to play out with if needed. // 9

Sound: I use a Strat as well as a Les Paul and play everything from Blues to Metal and the Amp works Fine. I use it mostly as a practice Amp in my Den. It sounds just as good at lower volumes as it does cranked up. Some Amps only sound good at low volumes or some(like my Acoustic 100 watt amp)just cranked, but this amp handles both extemely well.Using the Lead Channel with the gain cranked up is fine for Blues or some Rock but you really need a Distortion Pedal for any Thrash or Heavier Metal tones.This Amp is perfect for my RP155 which really just needs a clean amp. I've played it at pretty high level's (although I haven't been able to peg the volume yet) without distortion or beaking up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Raven is constructed like a Sherman tank. It is Durable but not too heavy to carry. You can stand or sit on it without worries. I really liked the 12" speaker to help handle the low notes. I do'nt really play out but I wouldn't be afraid to because it Sounds great and is very reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is the perfect Practice amp to accompany an effects pedal like the Zoom G1 or my DigiTech RP155. It sounds Great, It's Plenty Loud and built extremely tough.Without a pedal or the effects, it can get by on it's own though.Also, the guitar tuner is difficult to see if you are standing in front of it.But if you kneel down, it does work if you need it. I did alot of Reaearch and trial before I purchased this Amp and I don't regret it at all. For a no Frill's basic Heavy Duty Industructable Amp, you can't do much better for the money. // 9

RG-20 Reviewed by: Japanesekanji, on august 12, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This amp has all the basics. There are two channels, the Lead and Rhythm channels, which are pretty much distortion and clean channels. Each channel has a volume knob, and Lead channel has a gain knob. The channels are changed with There's also a 3-band EQ, reverb/delay effects, a line in jack, a headphone jack, and a built-in chromatic tuner. I play metal and hard rock, and I love this amp. I use it at home, both for recording and just practicing, and it's powerful enough for me. I don't use the tuner much, though, since the tuner seems a bit slow and maybe a bit off. There's not much else I could ask for at this price range. // 9

Sound: I'm playing an Epiphone SG Special with the stock pickups, and I play heavy metal and hard rock. Overall, this amp has a nice, clear tone to it. The rhythm channel is very clear, and the lead channel has a nice distortion. I prefer having a cleaner, more defined distortion, but it isn't too bad. The rhythm channel takes pedals very well; distortions will not lose any of the heavy bass or screaming highs, and clean effects, like phaser and chorus, sound beautiful. The amp always has a very quiet hiss, and gives off a lot of noise when on the lead channel with the gain up, but it never gets in the way of me, since I play with distortion pedals. I'm not sure if the clean channel distorts at high levels, though. Anyways, there's quite a few sounds you can get with this amp. Not as much as a digital modeling amp, but enough if you have some pedals. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd probably use this on a gig without a backup. It hasn't broken for me. I'm not a person you should ask about the durability, though; I don't play live, just at home and recording. I haven't played in a dirty bar and gotten beer in my amp, I've just played in a somewhat dusty room and sneezed nearby. // 10

Overall Impression: For heavy metal and hard rock, this thing is perfect. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years, and I use it a lot with my Zoom G1X and a few various other pedals. If something happened to this amp, I'd probably either buy this again or possibly try out a Peavy Vypyr 15. I love how it sounds for the price, but I think the tuner needs a little work. My last amp was a Line 6 Spider III 15, and this sounds much better. Honestly, there's not much else I could ask for, except maybe a different distortion. // 9

RG-20 Reviewed by: IronMaiden76, on january 19, 2012

Purchased from: a friend

Features: This amp isn't really versatile, but it isn't bad. It has 2 channels, changeable only by the button on the front panel. I would like this amp to be a little louder, just because it barely holds up to drums without serious feedback. It has a fairly good AC/DC type crunch and a good clean tone. I wish it had separate EQ per channel, because the EQs to make the clean sound good don't work for the dirty channel. It has built in digital reverb and delay. I practice with this amp (really I make my other guitarist practice with this amp) but for that it isn't bad. It's a decent little solid state amp for the price. // 6

Sound: I use my Ibanez RG120 and Squier Strat with this amp. It has a little bit of high end ice-pick-syndrome, especially at high volumes. It's pretty quiet and takes effects fairly well. It can only make 2 sounds, clean and sorta crunch. It's not that heavy. I haven't noticed any clean channel clipping. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's solid state amp, it'll go through hell and back and have no problems. I've played small gigs and the former owner has gigged with it just fine. I have no doubts about the durability of this amp. I mean, I've dropped it, stood on it, and kicked it and there aren't even any dings in the tolex. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, and it's good for the rock. I've been playing for 6b years, and while this amp is good, it doesn't hold a candle to my B-52. If this amp were stolen I'd buy something else just because it doesn't have the exact tone I'm looking for. I like the built in delay, but not so much the overdrive. I wish it had a footswitch. // 7

More Raven reviews rating category latest review
+ RG60 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 11/06/2012