RG200 Review

manufacturer: Raven date: 03/13/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Raven: RG200
This amp is from a relatively new brand, Raven. The amp sounds great. It especially has a good clean sound, and if you mess with the settings enough especially the treble, the distortion is not bad.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
RG200 Reviewed by: Mr.LeadGuitar, on march 13, 2009

Features: I don't know what year the amp was made in, but I'm pretty sure that it was made pretty recently, at least within the last two years. I tend to play hard rock to metal music, and the amp works for me. It sounds beautiful with pedals and has great amp distortion, too. It has two chanels: lead (w/ distortion) and Rhythm (w/o distortion), as well as 16 internal digital effects and dual effects (two effects at a time). With the help of any dual footswitch (the FS-F6 by Boss works best in my opinion) you can Switch between channels and turn the effects on and off. It also has an effects loop, and a line out/headphones jack. I use this amp for everything from gigs to practice to recording. This solid state amp has plenty of power for me, with it's dual speakers and 200 watt power. // 10

Sound: I have a Fender HSS Stratocaster, and you tend to use the humbucker equipped with it. Honestly, it's not a metal amp in terms of it's lead channel. However, it sounds crystal clear with pedals, and the lead isnt really a dissapointment: You can get distortions almost identical to that of Aerosmith, Guns 'N' Roses, and even Zakk Wylde. The thing is, it's not a true distortion, more of a heavy overdrive (making it a lot like the Boss Super Overdrive or Overdrive Distortion). The Rhythm (clean) channel is amazingly clear, and with any brand of pedal (I prefer Boss), you can get relatively any sound you want. Due to the high wattage, when the Rhyhtm channel is turned all the way up, you get a very slight overdriven tone, but I don't recommend it: an amp like this may be too loud at the highest level. Honestly, I don't go past midway on either channel. Still, amazing sound! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Take a look at a picture of this amp. Immediately you can tell it's a monster! The whole thing is lined with Metal. Even the grill, normally made of fabric, is a metal grate! I dropped this thing down two flights of stairs with no issue. It still works great! The thing has never given me shit. The only issue I can think of is a slight humming, cause by the immense amount of power it needs, but even that can be and has been fixed with certain products to limit the power intake (I got something called a Hum X). I would and have gone to a gig with just this amp. No backup. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said above, I tend to play harder rock to metal, but will sometimes wander into the Alternative genre. The clear tones and pedal compatability make it a very good match for my style. I've been playing going on four years now, and own a Fender HSS Strat (standard), and montaya classical guitar, numerous pedals, and a berhinger PA System (w/ Shure Mic). If it got stolen or broken, I would get one in a heart beat (or move up to the Half Stack:D:D:D). The one thing I wish would change would be that it included a footswitch, because I had to go out and get a Boss FS-F6 for it. Honestly, it was this or a Marshall, and I'm sorry Slash and all those other people that use Marshall, but Raven's got you all beat! // 10

RG200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2009

Features: This amp is from a relatively new brand, Raven. I am a primarily rhythm player that plays styles from Muse to interpol to the fray to Nickelback. I must say the amp sounds great. It especially has a good clean sound, and if you mess with the settings enough especially the treble, the distortion is not bad. The amp has a lot of cool effects, but you need to figure out how to Switch from the 2 channels with them because when you Switch channels with the effects on, the amp goes to the last effect you played on that channel. Personally, I don't mind, but it may annoy some people, and some people might love it. // 8

Sound: I use a Standard Telecaster with 2 factory single coils in it. The guitar is kind of noisy on the distortion when you are not playing but some of that is probably my single coils. I mostly play by myself or with my friends, and this amp can really rock if you want it to. The distortion like I said, is good enough for me because I don't gig any yet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a rock. It is really heavy, and I don't forsee any problems with it. It does have a rather large opening in the back. And when you buy it make sure the amp you are playing sounds right because I played a RG60 that was a total dud. The reliability is good, and it feels like it has good durability too. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good amp for the guitarist Who plays many styles. I only have a footswitch, and one of my friends, who has played guitar for less than a year and wants to tell me it sucks, says I should get an effects pedal. How bout no. This amp sounds fine. He has a Randall, and although he's good, he is WAY too full of himself because the amp sounds great to me. I do not regret getting it at all. And it looks amazing for the record. // 9

More Raven reviews rating category latest review
+ RG60 7.8 Guitar Amplifiers 11/06/2012