Hellhound Review

manufacturer: Reverend date: 06/15/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Reverend: Hellhound
This month's amplifier came from our friend Joe Naylor of Reverend. The Hellhound is a class AB, 40/60 watt 1-12 combo with an all-tube circuit. Having been in search of an all-tube amp at a reasonable price, this Hellhound appears to fit the bill. I'm all ready to see what guitars will take this amp to new tonal highs.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Hellhound Reviewed by: jb5150, on june 15, 2006

Features: Reverend does not make these amps any more. If you can find one, buy it. A poor mans boutique amp. At 40/60 watts switchable it is loud. Loud enough to play most gigs. It is not dual channel and there are no effects. You have gain, volume, low, mid, high, presence and reverb. The tone is worth not having the extras. There is a Schizo Switch that tabs between an american voicing (Fender) and a UK voicing (Marshall). I find I play in the american voicing and leave well enough alone. It is all tube and it shows. It is squeeky clean at the low end with plenty of bottom and will rip your head off at the high end. A foot switchable channel switching would have been cool but. // 9

Sound: I play an american standard strat through this amp. Between all of the settings available on the strat and the sound of the amp, I can play blues, hard rock, southern rock, and country with very few pedals. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp used on ebay. Haven't had it long, but no problems so far. Everything I hear about Reverend says that they will help with amp problems long after the warranty expires. // 10

Overall Impression: For an all around gigging amp, this one is perfect. It only weighs in at 32 lbs. so I can carry my quitar, amp, and effects board in one trip, then help the drummer. This amp even looks cool. It has a tooled leather cover that draws as much attention as the sound. If this amp were lost or stolen I would track down the @#$@ and get my amp back. Best amp I ever owned and I have been doing this for over 25 years. // 10

More Reverend reviews rating category latest review
+ Sensei HB 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/03/2013