TR-25 Review

manufacturer: Rickenbacker date: 11/15/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Rickenbacker: TR-25
This amp was made in 1979 and like most Vintage amps is of very high quality. Very simple and easy to use.
 4.3
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
TR-25 Reviewed by: jtallen0496, on november 15, 2012

Features: Hello Everyone. I am reviewing the amp I bought about 2 weeks ago. It was the first amp i have ever seen or heard of that was made by Rickenbacker. This one is a solid state amp. This amp has the following features: - Made in USA; - Made in 1979; - 1 x 12 inch speaker cab; - 2 Input jacks; - Varible overdrive; - Channel switching (for reverb/tremolo, respectively); - 3 band EQ (bass, Mid, Treble); - Volume; - 40 watts output; - Master Volume (Gain); - Speed; - Depth; - Spring Reverb; - Place for Footswitch; - Place for 16 ohm Speaker. This amp was made in 1979, and , like most Vintage amps is of very high quality. Very simple and easy to use. This is a 2 channel amp, but, the 2 channels are for reverb and tremolo. I wish that the amp also had Clean/Overdrive switching. This is really the only feature the amp is missing. // 7

Sound: I initially played this amp through a 1959 Fender Strat, but also tried it through a Les Paul, Mexican Tele, and even a Yamaha. This amp definitely gives you a nice Vintage sound, especially when you are pushing it. I play anything that is rockin, that I want to learn, which ranges from AC/DC and Guns N' Roses to Smashing Pumpkins and Dream Theater. This amp makes absolutely NO NOISE! Even on full volume and gain, you get a little hum but no squealing or whistling, even with single coils. This amp also has a lot of variety. On a clean sound you can get anywhere from bright twangy poppy sound to mellow almost acoustic like sounds. Crank up the gain and you get that 70's and 80's classic rock sound that we all n-know and love, and if you scoop the mids, you can even get some Metallica and Motley Crue like sounds. The only style of music this amp couldn't handle on its own would be Shred or Metal core or any other type of music that requires super crazy distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing was built like a tank. I never gig without a backup, but since this is a 40 watt amp, I probably wouldn't use it in a big situation. If i was playing at a club or something though I would trust it since it hasn't broken down for 33 years, I don't think that it will break down now. The person that owned it before me bought it new in 79, and gigged it heavily ever since then, and the only thing that is broken is that it is missing a couple of screws. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I play all types of rock. This amp does the job amazingly! I have been playing for a little over nine years now and own a lot of gear, both old and new. If this amp were stolen... Well I would feel sorry for whoever stole it if I ever found them. If it were lost I would lock myself in my room and cry until it was found because this is the only one I've ever seen. If I ever see another one, I will definitely buy it. // 8

More Rickenbacker reviews rating category latest review
+ 4003 9.4 Bass Guitars 03/26/2014