Knucklehead Tre Review

manufacturer: Rivera date: 03/10/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Rivera: Knucklehead Tre
It is complete with a new design: high gain, powerful, unlimited sustain, massive bottom end, gigantic headroom for rhythm, assignable effects loop, amazing new Foundation control, distortion with definition and edge, highs without harshness but with full body, and low noise. It's the highest gain of any amp in the market.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Knucklehead Tre Reviewed by: GuardianofBlind, on march 10, 2008

Features: Made in 2006 this two channel all valve monster is versatile enough to crunch out the heaviest metal tones heard, and immediately turn around and play jazz, blued, and everything in between. The amp has an effects loop, with send and return levels to give one the ability to run the power valves hot without use of a hot plate, or playing extremely loud. And it also has a built in gain boost, which is very subtle. The only thing I wish the amp had was a master volume for the clean channel instead of only a gain pot, but the clean has plenty of headroom so it doesn't make a very big difference. I use this amp in a band, and it has more than enough power than I'll never need. This thing can play stadiums! Probably without even being miced! // 8

Sound: Since I don't keep it at my house, I am unable to actually play any other genre than what I play with my band, which is metal. No doubt, this thing was made for metal, doing heavy, tight palm mutes, chugging rhythms, and without changing any settings, screaming leads. The amp has hum, which is always present with high gain amplifiers, and can get feedback if you are not careful. Especially in gig situations, when you turn up louder, you have to be even more conscious about extraneous noise. However, the use of a Furman Power Conditioner can remove most of it, which is a crucial piece for any amplifier and rack setup. Now as for the distortion, you can get pretty much any distortion you want from the amp if you have an eq in front of the amp. Anything from a soft growl to an extremely brutal guttural roar, or even sounds reminiscent of chainsaws now, if that's not brutal, I don't reall know what is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this head is very dependable, it has never broke down, and is solid as a rock. Especially since it is made in America, in California (handmade), it is very safe to say that all the parts are in working order and will stand the test of time. I would gig without a backup, mainly because I don't have a second amplifier, ever, and only if I inspected it thoroughly beforehand to make sure nothing could go wrong. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is absolutely amazing. It gives out some of the best and brutal tones I have heard, and suits me very well. It responds well and extremely different to different guitars and pickups. By far, one of my favorites, after testing the Mesa Mark IV, the Bogner Uberchall, and a bunch of other boutiques. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely track the guy down before buying another one, because it's so expensive! // 9

More Rivera reviews rating category latest review
+ Chubster 40 9.4 Guitar Amplifiers 10/19/2011