VooDu Valve Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 04/24/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Rocktron: VooDu Valve
The Rocktron VooDu Valve On-Line Tube Guitar Preamp is a marriage of a 24-bit Motorola DSP engine with Rocktron's 12AX7 tube technology. The Voodu Valve Guitar Preamp delivers the warmth and clarity of your favorite plexi or pre-CBS combo in a single-rack package.
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
VooDu Valve Reviewed by: HighwayHawk, on april 24, 2008

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: This tube/solid state preamp was made in the early '90s, it's the first version, without online feature. The voodu is really versatile, I use it to get sounds which vary from blues to hard rock to heavy metal and back to jazz. It features 4 types of amplification (no models here, the baby's got it's own distinctive voice); 256 stereo presets to deal with, sporting all the classic effects as delay, chorus, pitch shift, controllable wah, compressor, the legendary Rocktron Hush noise suppressor, and more. // 9

Sound: In the power stage I use a Hughes & Kettner vs-250 tube power amp. I'm using this with an LTD EX-400 and a B.C. Rich KKV, both with active EMG's; it suits my style very well (I play mostly heavy/thrash metal. I never get hisses or hums from it, thanks to the Hush system. Featuring 4 types of basic sounds, we may call them channels even though it is not the exact description for them, you can choose whether to use the preamp tube at its full potential, mix it with the solid state section, or kick in the variac control to keep low the volume while cranking the gain. This gives you endless possibilities, from pristine clean to roaring distortion. The effects section is really studio-grade, though after 18 years since it's development, the unit is certainly not the newest technology available. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's dependable, indeed. Just think it's been on stages all over Italy for almost 19 years. The preamp tube has never let me down, as long as the pots and controls. I would and I do gig with it more than 4 times per month. Never had contacts with the customer service. // 10

Overall Impression: This workhorse is a perfect match to the gigging musician, as well as the studio recording pro. I've been playing for a Decade now and I own plenty of other amps and guitars, but I've never found a better match to my style. I play heavy/thrash metal, with searing riffs but also clean parts, I think I could've never chosen a better preamp. // 9

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013