Cube 15X Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 07/02/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Roland: Cube 15X
Roland's famous Cube amp lineup expands with three hot new models: the Cube 15X, 20X, and 30X.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 7.4
 8.2
 7.8
 8.5
reviews (14) pictures (1) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 15X Reviewed by: burntomato, on august 06, 2007

Purchased from: Tom Lee Hong Kong

Features: This is Roland's famous new Cube 15X amp. I bought mines a few weeks ago. It has great features like the Power Squeezer, which allows it to achieve the maximum gain and sustain without maximum volume, which is very useful when playing in a bedroom so you can have a better gain sound without putting the volume higher. The Cube 15X also features a mini-jack aux so you can play along with an MP3 or CD player. The Cube 15X (15W) has a 8" speaker, 1 input, treble middle and bass EQ, 2 channels, and a Switch which includes the four different sounds: overdrive, distortion, metal and metal stack. This 15W amp is enough power for a regular room, I play it in my living room and normally I don't put the volume past 1/3 without Power Squeezer. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender '72 Tele Deluxe with 2 humbuckers on the Cube 15X. It suits my style, heavy, punk, rock. Even on clean it gives a really country sound. However on Overdrive and Distortion the sound seems to be very think and flat which is alright for playing stuff like power chords but playing harmonics don't achieve a good result. The overdrive, distortion, metal and metal stack only give a good sound when turned on louder volume (over 1/2 way) even when gain is put on max. This is where the Power Squeezer is useful, it is simply a push button, once turned on you can turn on louder volume so there is better gain and sustain sound, but the real volume given off will be much more quieter which is suitable for environments such as bedrooms when you don't want to play that loud. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very reliable, but I don't think I'll move it around too much. The amp has never broken down since I bought it a few weeks ago, but everything seems very durable and I think there won't be much problems with it in the future. If it does I'm sure I will post it up to let you guys know. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pop, heavy, punk rock. It's a very good match with the variety of different sounds the Cube 15X gives. I've been playing on another 15W amp which only offered a Drive sound, and the Cube 15X definately sounds much better than that. If it was stolen or lost, I will buy it again. I really love the variety of sound it gives, and the Power Squeezer feature, but I think the sound is sometimes very thick and flat since I use humbucker guitars on it, but I think it would work better with other guitars which has more tonal range. Thanks for reading this review, I hope you guys enjoyed it. // 9

Cube 15X Reviewed by: HelpComputah, on may 30, 2011

Purchased from: Cascio Music

Features: The Roland Cube 15X: - Solid State - 15 Watts - 8 Inch Driver - 2 Channels - Clean/OD - 3-Band EQ - Headphone Jack/Direct Out - CD/Line-In Jack - Power Squeezer Button My amp was made in 2008 or 2009 presumably. I purchased this bad-boy new but unboxed (the store had a huge stack of them) in January of 2010. The Clean Channel is labeled "JC Clean", referencing the legendary Roland JC-120. On the Drive side, there are four modes: Overdrive, Distortion, Metal, and Metal Stack. There are no effects, not even reverb. I'm not a big effects user, so this is not a deal-breaker for me (though I would love a built in chorus). However, given that there are numerous amps of similar size in this price range that do have effects, I did lower the score here. It would be even lower if not for the Power Squeezer and the four Drive options. // 6

Sound: My two main guitars are a Jackson DK2T with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups, and an ebony Epiphone LP Custom with the JB/Jazz combo as well. My style is mainly Metal but with occasional forays into blues or alternative. As mentioned, the clean channel is labeled "JC Clean". However, this amps is way too small and boxy sounding to ever make anyone mistake it for a real Jazz-Chorus. Since my amp is usually EQ'd for a decent metal tone, the clean tone suffers even more. It's very bassy and there is little high end shimmer to speak of, even with bright humbuckers like the Duncan Jazz. It's certainly passable for practice, and jazz players may dig the warm roundness. I've not tried this amp with single coils - perhaps a strat would fare a little better here. That being said, if you primarily play clean, I would recommend looking elsewhere for your practice amp needs - try Fender of Vox. The Drive Channel on this thing is another story; all four modes are very nice and usable. I've heard here and there that the four modes are based on Boss pedals (the manual makes to mention of this). This seems plausible given that Roland is Boss' parent company. All four modes do resemble various Boss dirt-boxes in a lot of ways. However, the sounds seem more natural to me, at least when comparing the on-board sound to a Metal Zone pedal plugged into the front end. Small speakers tend to have a lot of high end (which can easily go into fizzy hell with a distortion pedal), and the on-board Drive tones seem voiced to compensate for that. The bass seems a little more natural and amp-like compared to the pedal as well. The first mode, Overdrive, is a very nice, crisp sound with sizzling upper mids. It's a good sound for british blues and classic rock. It's probably not as great for SRV style sounds, but again, I haven't tried single coils through this thing to know for sure. The Distortion mode sounds a bit like the Overdrive, but with less upper mids and a bigger, looser bottom end. Chopping the lows and working with the mids and highs gives a decent classic rock and Vintage metal sound. Bringing up the lows gets you into Sabbath territory. There's not quite enough gain here to get you into alt-rock mayhem, however. Metal ups the gain and also carries a big wallop in the mids. There is nothing scooped about this sound; even dropping the mid knob to zero will not get you there. This sound is good for 80's metal like Judas Priest, Ozzy, and the like. The main riff to "Rapid Fire" off the British Steel album sounds quite impressive on this setting. Metal Stack brings the modern metal sound. The mids are very scooped, and the highs are razor sharp. This mode is great for old school Metallica & Anthrax tones as well as more modern stuff like Disturbed & Godsmack. I use this setting the most, as it really delivers the goods for the tight, clear & crunchy metal rhythm sounds that I prefer. Palm muting sounds very nice for a cheap practice amp (remember, this isn't a Mesa stack we're talking about here). The only criticism I can offer is that the amount of Drive on tap is slightly lacking. I don't go for a mega-saturated sound myself, so having the Drive at 3 o'clock is usually fine for me. Fortunately, the Duncan JB's in my axes give enough oomph to allow me that extra bit of range on the Drive knob if I want or need it. Be warned, however, if you have a weaker pickup (such as your typical stock Epiphone humbucker), you likely will not get enough gain out of this amp to satisfy for metal, even with the Metal Stack setting cranked to the max. The Power Squeezer is a nice feature for practice. I've owned the Cube 20Xand 30Xbefore as well (which also have this feature), and for some reason it seams to work much better on the Cube 15X(the other two amps seemed to get way too muddy when using this feature). Activating the Power Squeezer chops the volume in a big way, making it much easier to dial in bedroom level tones. It also compresses the sound a bit; the bass feels more pronounced and the highs are smoothed out a little. This does have the consequence of making the Drive sounds seem oh-so slightly tamer when the Power Squeeze is on, as there is a little more "hair" to the high end when it's off. I like the tone whether the squeezer is on or off, and the Cube 15Xis not crushingly loud even with it off, so it really comes down to personal preference. Lastly, this amp is remarkably quiet compared to most other solid state practice combos. It's not dead-silent like some of the modeling combos out there with built-in noise gates, but you also don't have to deal with an inflexible gate killing your sustain, which is a plus. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Cube 15Xhas never given me any problems. It's solid state and it's Roland, so reliability should not be an issue. The lack of FX and complicated interfaces (unlike Spiders & Vypyrs) pretty much makes the Cube 15Xexperience worry free. The overall build is rock-solid; much better than any of the other competitors in this price range. Fortunately, these things are relatively cheap, so if it did crap out on me, I could go down the street to Cascio and pick up the new Cube 15XL for $100. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned above, I play metal mostly. The Cube 15Xis a great match for this, provided that you have reasonably high-output pickups on your guitars. The four distortion modes all provide quality sounds. I wish the amp had chorus and maybe reverb, but I can live without them (there's always pedals, too). A footswitch option for channel-switching would also be nice, but that is typically not found on amps in this price-range. I've been playing for 14 years, and have been through a ton of gear over that span. Now that I am a husband and father with a career (non-music), the need for large amps has passed for me. I don't gig, I rarely Jam with others, & I don't have the freedom, financially or otherwise, for loud, expensive amps anymore. This does not mean that I am not picky, however. I have owned the following practice amps over the last several years: Ibanez TBX-15R - Surprisingly good cleans, okay distorted tone, noisy Marshall MG-10CD - Noisy but decent sounds; low-end muddier than the 15X, EQ options limited (no bass or treble controls) Peavey Vypyr 15 - Good sounds but very poor build quality & lots of software bugs Line 6 Spider III 15R - Absolute crap tone all around Roland Micro-Cube - Nice tone & FX but the 5" driver can barely take the punishment Roland Cube 20X - Figured it would be the Cube 15X+ FX given the otherwise identical specs; however the EQ curve was totally different. Metal Stack mode was very muddy in comparison with the 15X. Roland Cube 30X - This one was very nice; sold it just before our wedding two and a half years ago & have regretted it since I did not go into the store planning to buy the Cube 15X. I was there to get my Jackson (yay, tax return!), and I happened to see the huge stack of Cube 15Xs for $89 each. I grabbed one to test my axe, and came away very impressed with both, so I bought it along with the guitar. It has since become my go-to practice amp, and has survived more than one attempt to replace it with something that had more features & better cleans. For now, I have given up on my search to replace it, as my money is better spent elsewhere these days. For my uses, the Cube 15Xis good enough. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: Scorpexv, on december 25, 2007

Purchased from: Allans

Features: 15 watt amp with clean or lead, lead has 4 modes: OD, dist, metal and metal stack. Power Squeezer (which manual indicates takes it from 15 to 2 watts, also helps with clarity.) Aux in (3.5mm) and headphone socket. Classic Roland Styling and my first amp. Standard 3-way EQ (bass, mid and treb). Lead has gain also. Feature rich for what it is. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a Squier Fat Strat Standard. Maybe just me, but I don't like it a all. Clean is clean, but wherever I go this amp just seems to lack character. I liked it when I bought it, but have since tried many amps so maybe my opinion has somewhat waned. OD is flat, Dist is crunchier OD, although metal and metal stack do what they do very well. Also, I found that the clean starts to pop after about 12 o'clock. in volume. Very much a practice amp. Power squeezer adds a lot of quality to Lead channel, but cuts volume to about 1/4. Good for practice for metalheads maybe, but not being one, doesn't serve me much purpose. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Would not gig with it (c'mon) but seems pretty sturdy. Roland = Boss so I would probably use this as a bullet shield if it wasn't my amp. Seems very well built and would last decades if I intended to keep it that long. I want to upgrade, so I'll have to think about what I'm going to do with this one. Otherwise bulletproof. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a grunge monkey, whom dabbles in psychedelic rock, prog rock, and occasionally some blues. The Roland, while an attractive package, should only be considered by up and coming metalers. I found it very digital like in sound (it is a modelling amp to a degree) but the clean sounds just too flat for me. It's a solid beginner's amp, but will never, ever reach any good volume for practice or gigging. A true bedroom amp. 7 because I know people use these (and like them) I am not one of them. Oh well. // 7

Cube 15X Reviewed by: restless_thrash, on january 07, 2008

Features: This little all-in-wonder has many great features. The most prominent is the power squeezer. It allows you to play with high-gain and sustain at low volumes (if noise is an issue). It has two channels operated by a foot switch (clean and lead). The lead channel features four different distortion levels: overdrive, distortion, metal, and an excellent feature: metal stack. It also has a 3-band EQ, a recording/headphone output, and a mini-jack aux in for playing along to mp3 and CD players. This 15W amp packs an intense punch at top volume, and is quiet when it has to be thanks to the power squeezer. I only wish it carried the many other spectacular features of the Cube series, such as effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo). This amp is great for metal, rock, and jazz playing. It switches easily over between the channels. // 8

Sound: I use a BC rich Metalmaster warlock with the factory pickups. Playing heavy metal (mostly), it is great for both lead and rythm. The metal stack distortion is very crunchy, and the plain metal setting is well suited for the rythm postion. It's not incredibly noisy, but it can be when it has to. The clean channel is more suited for a bass, though, as the only way to get good treble is with all the settings put towards treble. In a gymnasium or other soundchamber, the amp has quite an echo. In a bedroom or basement, it has very little. It is best used as a practice amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is incredibly reliable. It has never borken for me, and the parts sill remain in new condition. I would use this amp at a gig without a backup because there is no way that this thing will break. The parts look like they will withstand quite a bit of punishment. There is no worry of dropping the amp, because it has a very solid construction. It is very durable and reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play jazz, rock and metal, and it's suits my styles quite well. I have played for four years, and this has been my best amp for it's size. I wish I had asked whether or not I can add effects before I bought it, because I can't. If this amp was stolen, I would hunt down and kill the person responsible. If I lost it, I would buy a larger model. I love the distortion on this model, and I hope for an improvement in the clean department. This is a great guitar to practice with. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: LezPaulEpiphone, on may 14, 2009

Features: I brought this amp about 2 years ago, it is a Solid state and it is very versatile and can play almost any genre. Personally, I play mainly Rock and Some Metal (Metallica, + some other thrash, also the occasional Lamb Of God, and also stuff like GNR) some other guy I know comes round, and plays a lot of blues, the amp suit's this very well. It has "Overdrive, Distortion, Metal, and Metal stack" as well as a "Clean" channel. You can Switch from the "Overdrive, Distortion, Metal, and Metal stack" setting back to the "Clean" setting. There is a headphone jack, but I have never used it. I never really use the "overdrive" setting, as I don't like the sound of it, and I don't use it with the genres that I play. I use this amp as a bedroom practise amp, It has just about enough volume, but when played along with stereo, it does get drowned out. It also looses sound quality when pushed up to higher levels. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a Vintage V100 and a Squire Fat Strat. It suit's my style quite well (metal + as stated above, it suit's most styles, very versatile. It can get quite noisy, Especially when guitar is left horizontally. The amp has quite good cleans, and I am very impressed with the "Metal stack" effect. The clean channel gets a tiny bit distorted at high volumes, but not very noticeable. The Distortion isn't very brutal, but you can get some good high gain sounds out of it. Very good value for a practise amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for about 2 years, and the first one I got, the speaker blew. I went back to the shop, got a completely new amp, very good service from GAK. I have had the new amp for about a year and 10 months, it hasn't broken down since then. I wouldn't gig with the amp, as it isn't loud enough. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mainly some metal, it suit's my style well. I have been playing for about 3 years, and I have only ever had this amp (I played classical for a year), it has served me well, but I am looking to get a new amp as it isn't loud enough. If it was stolen, I would buy something different. I love the "Metal stack" channel, but I hate the "Overdrive" channel. Compared to other practise amps, such as the small line6 spiders, it is very nice sounding, and doesn't over-do the effects. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This amp is Brand New (2008) This amp is very versatile. The clean channel is just that-clean. The four effects on the lead channel are awesome. It has overdrive, distortion, metal, and metal stack. I put an Ibanez GRX20 through it and they match well. Nice clean bright sounds and then heavy, chunky distorted sounds through each of the four effects. I jam at the house and it is perfect, this is where the power squeezer comes in handy. If you read the owners manual they say that is what the power squeezer is for- an average size home. Roland did not intend this amp to be gigged with Live. Practice amp, and a sweet one at that. // 9

Sound: As I stated earlier, I use an Ibanez GRX20 which has two open coil humbuckers and they sing together (for my style of music). I love Death/Thrash and this amp was made for that, I think. Very little noise, even when cranked-I woke my wife up, yeah she wasn't happy. This amp has a fairly good amount of sounds it can make. The clean channel stays clean and the OD and other effects are awesome. By the way Roland and Boss are like together so you get the Boss OD on this amp-which is cool. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If I was playing a gig in like a garage or small bingo hall, this baby would do the trick. It seems very dependable. It is a new amp so it has not broken down, nor do I think it will. I really like this amp alot.This amp is a beast for this price and this wattage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play the heavy stuff and this amp was built for that. I have only been playing for a short time, but have heard many other amps, this amp by far blows any other 15w amps out of the water. Do not waste your time buying this amp if you are not a metal head. It is not intended for a Strat or some other single coils. Do your self a favor and buy an instrument built to shred and check this puppy out. // 9

Cube 15X Reviewed by: Xx aLi N 123 xX, on august 04, 2009

Features: I play rock and metal and his amp is pretty good. It isn't very versatile but it is good enough for a beginner, especially if they are practising in the house, thanks to the power squeezer feature which turns down the volume but keeps the sustain. It has a plain clean channel and 4 distorted channels - Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion and Overdrive. It has a headphone input jack and an auxillary input jack, which I use quite a lot. The only features I don't use are the Distortion and Overdrive effects. // 8

Sound: I use a Westfield E1000 (I reveiwed that when I was unregistered, check it out if you want.) with stock pickups and a crap Les Paul copy which also has stock pickups. It suit my music style well, which is rock and metal as I said earlier. It is noisy but that is only because of my guitar. It can make good clean sounds like any other amp but unlike my Marshall 15CDR, it has nice crunchy distortion. The clean goes a bit fuzzy on high volumes, but this a practise amp so you won't need high volumes. The ditortion is nice and crunchy and it's good for rock and metal, but DON'T use the Distortion or Overdrive effects. They sound muddy, even at full gain. But otherwise it's all very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, I can definatly depend on it it hasn't gone wrong since I got it. I wouldn't use Live though, because it's too quiet. It occasionally pops but thats not very noticeable and I've found it only happens at high volumes. I don't neglect it at all, but even if someone did I doubt it woould break, it seems pretty solid. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match to my playing style. I have been playing for two years now. I also have a Westfield E1000, a Les Paul copy (it's unbranded), a Marshall 15CDR and a Zoom A2 pedal. If it were stolen I would buy it again because I mostly just practise guitar and this is a very good amp for it. I like the Metal Stack and Metal effects but hate the Distortion and Overdrive. My favourite feature is the power squeezer. The only thing I wish it had was better distortion or overdrive effects. Overall, I would recommend this to people wanting to practise in there house or for beginners. // 9

Cube 15X Reviewed by: Captain Zan, on october 07, 2009

Price paid: A$ 125

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: My Roland Cube 15X was manufactured in 2008.the Roland Cube15x is a popular solid state amp with Features including 2 channels: Clean and lead, although the lead channel has four different settings. These being Overdrive, Distortion, Metal and Metal Stack. This amp has an AUX input, headphone jack, Equalization with bass, mids and treble controls. One of the main features of this amp is the power squeezer which lowers the wattage to about 2 watts. This works well for maintaining tone at lower volumes. Feature wise this amp differs from the 30x in built in effects and a foot Switch jack. // 8

Sound: I am using a Takamine eg510ssc Acoustic and Freedom starter pack single coil guitar to play through this amp. This amp is of high proficiency in the classic rock to metal sounds although packs lack luster clean and bluesy sounds. A lot of the style of music I play is classic rock, alternative and blues, and I feel I chose the wrong amp for my music preferences, due to this being a metal amp. On the rare occasion that I have rolled over onto the metal stack option I have heard good authentic (to me) metal sounds. The distortion is TEH BROOTALS. The amp has good EQ and you can find a variety of different tones on the lead settings although on the clean I have found it very difficult to find a tone that sounds nice. This meaning it is pretty much always lifeless. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a brick. I wouldn't ever gig with it because by the time I'm gigging I would hope to have maybe a tube amp of some sort but it also probably lacks the volume to get over the drummer. I have jammed with my friend who is a drummer and he was really overpowering. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is of high quality and especially for the price I paid, as it was just like new. I have been playing for almost a year and feel that when I started I thought I would be heavier stuff than I have ended up being, hence my disappointment in this amp. The Power squeezer is a good feature - especially seeing as though I don't enjoy destroying my eardrums, and was one of the main reasons I chose this amp. If this amp was stolen or lost I wouldn't be too distressed and I would probably by a nicer amp e.g Blackstar HT5 or new Marshall Class 5 (yummy). I wish this amp had nice cleans because if it did it would be perfect. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: Woffelz, on january 11, 2010

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Features: This solid state amp [8 inch speaker] was bought from Gear4Music as a birthday present. It has 2 channels, one vol. On clean channel and on distortion channel, 3 band EQ, gain and power sqeezer. One of these channels is clean and the other is obviously distortion. There are four types of distortion, overdrive, distortion, metal and metal distortion, making this amp very versatile. There's a 3 band equalizer which affects both channels. I only use this amp in my bedroom so the 15 watts output is more than enough. The power sqeezer is awesome because I can play with the sound of a really loud amp at lower volumes. That'll keep my dad from moaning I only wish that there were some effects built in. // 9

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG120 with the Cube. The clean channel is nice and bright with high treble or very warm with lots of bass.It does get distorted at half volume. I play mainly metal, so the overdrive and distortion won't be used much although it does do well for classic rock. The metal channel is great for Maiden or Judas Priest songs, but the best disortion is the metal stack, which is the best distortion on a practise amp. I would say the EQ affects this distortion the most, ranging from very heavy bass to a cutting treble. Perfect for rectified Metallica tones to punchy Slipknot. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for nearly 2 years and it's never broken down. It's endured long car journeys and I've even played a gig with it without a backup. The kick proof metal grille protects the speaker and is ridiculously strong, way better than the Marshall MG speaker covers which are made of fabric. I just wished wished the back was not made of plastic. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp can handle any kind of music, from clean country style to classic rock to thrash metal. My favourite features are the power squeezer and metal stack distortion. I've played a Line6 Spider III 15 and a Marshall MG15DFX and they don't even compare to Cube 15X. The Marshall MG's distortion sucked compared to Roland. It's a great amp for it's price. If it were stolen I'd probably save up and buy the 20X. My only complaint is that you can't use a footswitch with it, you have to press the channel switching button. // 9

Cube 15X Reviewed by: kutless999, on june 10, 2011

Features: This amp adapts to my playing style very well. I play riffs to various songs which range from metal to clean and this amp can do both very well. I wish it had built in effects like the other models do. I use this amp in my bedroom with headphones and the power squeezer function, which gives you "maximum sustain without maximum volume", which is a great feature. The 15x has a bass, middle, and treble knob, a volume knob for each channel, and a gain knob for the lead channel. You can also plug in you iPod, mp3 or CD player to jam along to. There is also a recording out/phones 1/4 jack. // 8

Sound: The guitar that I use with this amp is a Squier Affinity Strat. This amp suits my playing style very well and has great metal and clean tones. The distortion can get pretty heavy with the gain turned all the way up. On the lead channel, you get four distortions: overdrive, distortion, metal, and metal stack. The overdrive and distortion are pretty muddy, but the metal and metal stack are superb. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built "like a tank" and is very rugged. I've gotten sand in the speakers, and it's been tossed around many times and is still working perfectly all these four years that I have had it. I would defenatly use this without a backup in a live setting. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music styles and this amp suits them pretty well. I have been playing for 4 years and I currently don't own any other gear yet... If it was stolen, I would upgrade and get the 20 or 30x because of the built in effects. I love the clean and metal tones. I really do not like the overdrive and distortion. My favorite feature has to be the power squeezer which I have really benifited from. If this amp had built in effects, I would never want to get rid of it. If you are looking for a basic practise amp and you don't need the built in effects, this amp is for you. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on august 08, 2011

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: Pro Musica Ireland

Features: I have very little idea when this amp was made. It is very sparce on effects (as in, it has none, not even reverb). Clean channel, and 4 different dirty channels. All controlled by a 3 band eq. Overall, one of the plainest amps I have played, and one of the most boring in all honesty. // 3

Sound: The sound off of this amp is a disaster. Very trebely, no bass responce what'soever. It does nothing well in my opinion, it is noisy also. I've played with Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Pauls, and Melody Makers. None of these beautiful guitars could coax a decent sound out of this amp (and I assure you through other amps they sound very pleasent indeed). // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is something that is done well here, the metal grill barely takes a dent with heavy hitting, and the case itself is very well built. It so happened to be dropped out of a moving car before and it still worked perfectly. This thing is a bloody tank. // 7

Overall Impression: This is an amplifier that I would only recommend to people I truly hate. The sound almost stopped me playing guitar as a beginner. Even now when I am skilled, I can't possiby imagine playing through it. Please, for the love of god people, avoid this amp, and buy a Fender Mustang amp or Vox VT amplifier. // 4

Cube 15X Reviewed by: matthijs97, on august 24, 2011

Price paid: € 99

Purchased from: Guitarstore Hoorn (Holland)

Features: If you want effects and stuff: this is not the good amp for you. It has: 4 lead tones (Overdrive, Distortion, Metal, Metal Stack) and Clean. That's all. It has 3 Equalizer buttons: Bass, Mid, High, a gain button, power switch, power squeezer, headphone/recording out and an 3.5 mm input, and a normal guitar imput. Power is 15 Watts. // 3

Sound: I'm using two guitars: Greg Bennett AV/3 Avion (Les Paul) and an Yamaha Pacifica (Strat). I play mostly metal, and then the Yamaha sound better with the gain fully opened. The Greg Bennett doesn't sounds so good with this amp except for the Clean tone. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a very durable amp, good condition, but it's way too small to use in gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a fine amp with kinda good sounds, but no effects, just 5 tones and that's it. It's extremely good for a beginner guitarist but not for me. I'm switching to Marshall now. // 7

Cube 15X Reviewed by: AbsolutionNL, on april 13, 2012

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Den Dekker (Dutch local store)

Features: It's a small solid-state amp, good for bedroom playing, but definitely not for gigs. I play mostly progressive and trash metal (Metallica, Bodom, Dream Theater) and for trash it's ok, sounds... trashy. Has 2 channels, clean and lead. Lead has 4 settings: Overdrive, Distortion, Metal and Metal Stack. Furthermore, there are 3 EQ buttons: Bass, Middle, Treble (obviously). There are no further effects, though there is an interesting button: the infamous power squeezer. With this thing you can play ultra trash to power solo's with less volume (good for the neighbours) and decreased noise (good for you). Nothing special here, but it does what is has to do and the power squeezer is really useful, I actually always use it. // 8

Sound: Directly with this amp, I bought a Squier Hot Rails. That guitar had 3x single coil pickups, which were 'Duncan Designed'. After a lot of setting up, it ended up sounding quite brutal. I always hated the lot of noise though, especially when playing through distorted channels. One of the reasons for me to get a better guitar. Some time ago, I sold my previous guitar and now I use my ultra epic ESP MH350NT through this metal beasty, and it sounds nice. This axe has EMG 81/85 setup, and now I don't hear any noise through this amp anymore. The amp sounds really dead though. With a metal setup (low bass, no middle, full treble) it still does. What I do is this: I turn down the volume to 1 (or even less!) and the gain to the max. You get a really punchy, tight sound that is suitable for both fast metal riffs and shredding. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp for 1, 5 years now, and haven't had any trouble. Looks like a tank and so it is built. There is a metal plating in front of the speaker, so you wont even kill it when kicking against. // 9

Overall Impression: I consider this amp a good deal for its price. Its really basic and simple: you can't really go wrong, but its nothing special too. When you are going to record things, you might want a better-sounding amp though. If it were lost, I guess I'd take a good look to other amps (second-hand Blackstar HT-1?) though I might buy it again. My axe is 7 times more expensive than my amp, so foor a good tone, I'm just going to need a tube amp. I like the smallness of the sound: its small and tight. I like the power squeezer, I hate the fact this thing needs it! If I wished more, I guess I should just have taken a less cheap amp. Enfin, good amp for its price, but nothing special. // 8

Cube 15X Reviewed by: JoaoReis, on july 02, 2012

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: MusicShop Porto

Features: I play most classic rock alternative rock and some blues. Even though sometimes I play some metal riffs and Metallica stuff. First I would say the amp has the clean channel and the distortion. In distortion you have METAL STACK, METAL, DISTORTION and OVERDRIVE. But for me the best feature is the POWER SQUEEZER which reduces the volume at maximum gain. I don't use it now but when I bought the amp I always used it. I never use Distortion effect because I don't like it and sometimes I use metal or metal stack. I like them but they are just not my style so don't use it so often. // 7

Sound: My guitar is a Jack&Danny (piece of S**t, don't you ever buy one! I made a great mistake!) Les Paul model. And this amp can't just sustain my guitar. If I push the sound a bit higher it starts do give that really bad feedback sound. For example, if I solo and I do some longer bend in the 14th or 15th fret it just can't sustain the sound. Regarding the types of distortion I have to say Overdrive is kinda good. Well, I like it a lot and if you "program" the guitar and amp (bass, treble and medium) you get a sound kinda close to those Jimmy Page "fat" sounds. I hate Distortion effect so I never use it. It is similar to overdrive but with more gain. Metal and Metal Stack are a bit close sound but if with the right toning you can really get some nice sounds or that. The Clean channel is not bad also. To play some acoustic stuff is really nice. // 6

Reliability & Durability: NO! I would never ever use it on a gig. But neither use the majority of people I hope. Well, jokes apart, obviously this is a beginner training amp so you can never use it on a gig. But on the other hand it is extremely durable. I tend take good care of what it mine so it is easier for the amp to stay good. But even if you are careless it seems quite durable. It can sustain some bumps since in some parts its finishes are in thick rubber. I have it for almost 3 years and I think my dog even pissed once in the amp and it still works so it has been quite durable. // 7

Overall Impression: It is not good for Les Pauls. I use a Les Paul so it doesn't suit that well. I have been playing in it for almost 3 years but I'm planing to get a new amp since I need to do some shows and I just can't use this one. I will try to sell it. In the day I bought it my father was in a hurry so I couldn't try it that well but if it was now, I would have bought a Peavey Vypyr 15W or Line 6 Spider III 15W (choosing some one that has a close price to this one). I would thank the gods it was stolen! I would run buy something much better. My favorite features as I said are the Overdrive effect and the Power Squeezer. To have bought this one, obviously I didn't compare it with some other one. I think it is good for beginners but when you start to play better and with friends you just get sick or it because you can't get a large range of sound out of this amp. // 7

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014