Cube 15XL Review

review (1) pictures (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 15XL Reviewed by: lukcuturic97, on july 17, 2014

Price paid: € 99

Purchased from: Feedback

Features: Roland Cube 15XL, a 15 watt all analog solid state guitar amp with an 8" speaker, 3 band eq (Low, Mid, High), 2 channels, clean and lead. The lead channel is split onto 4 different voicings: overdrive, distortion, metal zone and extreme. It also has an aux in (which can be used as an input too), headphone/recording out and a power squeezer button to attenuate the amps wattage from 15 watts to 2 watts. It has no effects onboard and you can't attach a footswitch to switch from the clean to lead channel. // 7

Sound: The clean tone is very nice on Cubes. My guitar teacher uses one when he plays jazz, it also fits great with bluesy type of stuff. A single coil guitar sound very, very good on the clean channel. You can get a very nice Jimmy Page type tone on the Cube's clean channel. Onto the lead channel. I can't find a good use for the overdrive voicing on this amp. It sounds too boxy. I've even tried a couple pedals, but it doesn't get any better. The distortion voicing sounds pretty okay, but it is not enough for my needs. If you're looking for a low gain, classic rock distortion, then the distortion voicing is the way to go. The metal zone channel is pretty bad in my opinion (just like the pedal). Too harsh, nasally and doesn't sustain, even with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard with new strings on it. The extreme channel is a bit better, but it has a stupid amount of high end, but if you fiddle with the eq and your guitar's tone knob, you can get a very nice sound on it. Because I live in an apartment, I keep the power squeezer on all the time, bass around 11 o'clock, mids at 12 o'clock and high between 1 and 2 o'clock. The gain and volume between 10 and 11 o clock. It's still a bit thin but it's decent and usable. The aux in is great, does it's job and when you're playing with distortion, it doesn't distort the aux in. The aux in can also be used as an input, but your guitar will only get cleans (or use pedals). The headphone out is just bad. Recordings don't sound nice either. To put things short, good for cleans, low gain distortion and maybe some metal kind of stuff. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's a solid state. Of course it's reliable. It never broke down and I doubt it will ever break down. Did never gig with it, just rehearse, but it has never let me down. All the knobs are still on it, everything works perfectly. I have literally no complaints about it. Looking at reliability, it would be gig-proof, but it's only 15 watts, so it's not suited for gigging. Maybe if you mic it. But I wouldn't really recommend that. Besides, it's just a practice amp. You can depend on the amp and use it without a backup, but as I said, it's not an amp for gigging. Only if you have the 60+ watt version. // 8

Overall Impression: I play hard and alternative rock, alternative rock and some bluesy stuff. It doesn't really suit my style, but the amp is not bad at all, just not the sound I'm looking for. I wish it had reverb, a footswitch and maybe an effects loop, but since it's not for gigging, an effects loop isn't very necessary. I love the clean channel and the power attenuator and hate the overdrive and metal zone voicing. If it were stolen, I wouldn't really miss it. I would buy a Blackstar HT-1R instead. Overall, great, reliable practice amp. // 7

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 20GX 8.5 Guitar Amplifiers 04/18/2014