Cube 20X Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 06/18/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Roland: Cube 20X
With great new features such as Power Squeezer for maximum sustain without maximum volume, a fully equipped guitar tuner, a mini-jack aux in for playing along to MP3 and CD players, and of course that incredible Cube sound, this amp is built to rock!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.9
reviews (15) pictures (2) 84 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 20X Reviewed by: chaoticgeek, on january 30, 2007

Features: It has many good features, including a tuner, clean channel, lead channel, built in effects, delay/reverb, aux In, recording/headphone out, 3 EQ knobs, power squeezer, and foot Switch jack. For a beginner it has more than enough features to keep me busy. The Lead channel has 6 different Boss effects for different distortions: tube drive; metal; metal stack; overdrive; distortion; and acoustic. Other than tube drive they are pretty self explanatory. Tube Drive is set up so it adds distortion based on how hard you hit the strings. The power squeezer makes it so you can have high gain and distortion at lower volumes. It does get quite loud while in my room. I can't say what features I would like it to have because for a beginner, like me, it has everything I could possibly use currently. Although down the line I could see the effects would not hold up to a better guitarist. The on board tuning is great though for me. 8 because it is not perfect, but very good and for the price you can not beat all the extras it has. // 8

Sound: I have a Squier Strat SSS guitar and I get nice sounds out of it. No it's not the best ever and it will not even compare to a top of the line tube amp like many people try to do. It gets a wide selection of sounds I can get very clean to metal sounds. I love using clean with flange or phaser and full deal; or tube drive with just a touch of reverb. I'm going to guess it is guitar but at full volume with my guitar turned up all the way I get a slight hum, but nothing very strong. Once I hit a string you don't hear it any more and as soon as I turn my guitar down to 8 it goes away. The distortion is very nice, although with the gain cranked all the way to max with volume at 9 to 10 (dial has guide numbers, 0, 5, and 10) it gets muddy. As a practice amp I don't see myself getting this high while I'm not testing it out for this review. I can get a good rock tone out of it and still be able to switch to something more mellow with a few quick turns of the knobs. I like the effects and delay/reverb. The effects include chorus, flange, phaser, and tremolo. No they are not like having a pedal for which ever one you have switched on, but it is very nice and adds depth to your music. Great for a beginner to find out what they like. You can have one of the four effects and either delay or reverb. It has a LED for when you have one of the four effects turned on. 8 because of the wide array of sounds you can produce. Nice effects, and it is pretty decent as long as you don't max the volume out, but at around 8ish it is still pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is durable, I've rest my foot on it while changing settings around fiddling with all the knobs. I've dropped it from about six or eight inches and it still works fine. I'm very cautious with my gear so I don't think I'm gonna be dropping it above that anytime soon. You could jam with some friends but you can't go too gig worthy loud because it is only 20 watts, but it definably puts out some good sound. I would defiantly gig with it if I had a higher wattage Cube. Roland defiantly put it together nicely and gave me a great first impression. Light weight for its looks so it is easy to carry around. 10 because it is well built and I trust it. I took it home and it was on the bottom and came out just fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and alternative stuff right now and it fits me nicely. For practice this amp will get me through till I destroy it. I have only had this for about a month and kinda playing for a little over two months. Kinda because I had a friends guitar before and practiced and now I've got my own and practice even more. Having an amp changes everything when it comes to playing a guitar. The only thing I would love to see changed is the tuner interface, when I first got the amp it was very confusing to start off with but I quickly adapted to it. I like how it has manual and chromatic tuner mode, but I normally use manual. One tip when tuning turn your guitar's volume up to max to tune with, it helps it identify the sound quicker. I love the distortion models and clean channel. I hate the user manual. It gave you a few different settings but left you high and dry after that. I don't think I can really hate anything about the amp. Another thing I love is the price, 160 plus tax is a great deal I think seeming how most amps with similar features were $200 or more and were still 15 watts. Overall great amp for beginners or practice. If someone stole this I would buy this one again, or find the person and beat them down. 8 overall because things could be better, but overall it is an awesome amp and will last me for quite a while. I also tried to be very critical, yet not compare it to my friends amp that is twice as expensive or more than this one. I listen very carefully to his and figure out what a good amp should sound like. // 8

Cube 20X Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2008

Purchased from: The Groove

Features: The Roland Cube 20X has a clean channel and a second channel where you can access 6 different distorion and simulated settings. A footswitch is available but sold separately. There is also a headphone jack that can also be used for recording and an effects loop jack for external effects as well as an aux in jack. The amp is a 20 watt solid state with various onboard effects(phaser, tremolo, delay, reverb, chorus, and flanger) as well as an acoustic simulator, 4 distortion/overdrive settings, and a tube Drive setting that simulates a tube amp. There is also an onboard tuner, 3 band EQ, and power squeezer that drops the amps wattage to 2 watts while maxing out the chosen effect so that you can let it rip without knocking the doors down. // 10

Sound: The amp is shockingly loud for its size and sounds really big. More impressive is that it is dead quiet. JC clean is the clean channel and is based on the Roland Jazz Chorus amp. The clean channel is where this amp really shines. Sparkly and tight, very impressive when you add in a bit of the reverb. The second channel allows you to access one of six different effects. They are as follows: Tube drive - the most impressive of all the overdrives, it simulates a tube amp and allows you to control the amount of overdrive through the dynamics of your picking. Basically, the harder you attack the string the more breakup you get, just like a tube amp. Very authentic and as a tube amp fan a real treat. Metal stack - more low end than the metal setting, very big sound and quite thick. Plenty of harmonics and loads of distortion. My favorite setting for solos. Metal - high gain metal setting, much more high end than the metal stack setting. Once again, plenty of harmonic detail. I don't use this channel much as I find the metal stack setting to be a more rounded sound. Distortion - less gain than the previous two but excellent for rock and soloing. I use this quite often for hard rock/classic rock stuff. Overdrive - simulates an overdriven amp. Very thick and bottom heavy. I find myself using this the least of the bunch. Still, good for blues and rock. Acoustic - simulates an acoustic guitar. I like this a lot. It does sound a bit like an acoustic but I like it more for the fact that it gives you a second clean setting. You get that real poppy and metallic sound that you would get with an acoustic. Very nice! My only complaint is that there is a slightly noticeable hiss on this setting. Effects - they are split into two dials. One dial is for delay and reverb. The other dial gives you the choice of chorus, tremolo, phaser, and flanger. You can use two at once but only one from each knob. Basically, you can choose from delay or reverb on one knob, and one from the other four on the other knob. The delay and reverb are quite good. Delay has a decent range and succeeds in widening the sound. The reverb I really like and you can get a very wet setting with it. With the clean channel it sounds fantastic. The other dial is chorus/tremolo/flanger/phaser. I must say that from the four I only use the chorus occasionally. It has a sort of spacey and open sound. You do get a slight hiss sometimes with all of these four effects. I personally do not think that these effects are where this amp shines, though it is nice to have the versatility. They are decent but not the reason why I would buy this amp. The onboard EQ consists of your basic bass/mid/treble and is effective. It works sufficently in tweaking out the sound and I can't complain about it. The tuner is very cool and allows you to tune one specific string(by holding in the button first) or tune one after the other. It also cuts the sound out when activated so you don't tune for everyone else to. There is obviously a clean volume and a volume and gain dial for the second channel. The other option is the power squeezer, which I find very cool. When activated it drops the amp down to 2 watts but leaves the effects as if the amp is fully cranked. I use this all the time as you can get some wicked harmonics and sustain. I engage the power squeezer and then crank the amp up. This way you can let the amp scream without killing the neighbors. Even with it engaged though it gets quite loud. As mentioned above, there is an input jack, headphone/recording jack, effects/footswitch loop, and aux in jack that can be used to hook up an MP3 or cd player to play along to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The cube is built like a rock. Very sturdy. They didn't pull any punches when they constructed it. It is very loud for twenty watts and, though I haven't cranked it all the way, it sounds good at higher volumes. Very dependable little amp for home and recording use. For gigging situations they do make a 30 and 60 watt version. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp has astonished me. The range of sounds is amazing and the little guy is extremely versatile. For the price you simply can't pass it up. I have been playing blues and rock for 20 years off and on and have owned numerous amps, the majority tube amps. Recently I moved into a smaller apartment and I wound up selling all my amps because they were simply too loud. I needed a small amp for home use with recording capabilites and I found this. What really sold me on this amp was the clean setting and the tube Drive setting. Great stuff! If it were lost or stolen I would just buy another one because it's incredibly affordable. I don't know how Roland does it. It is worth noting that I tried out the entire line and the 20X was by far better than the 15 and 30X. The 15X lacked some of the effects and the tuner that is available on the 20X. The 30X sounded quite sterile in comparison to the 20X and for whatever reason the effects were much better on the 20X. The 60 watt version I didn't even try because that's too loud for what I need. Anyway, this amp has it all. Great little toy to have around the house. It doesn't get a 10 because, well, nothing gets a 10! // 9

Cube 20X Reviewed by: Tele Echoes, on september 17, 2007

Features: Considering I'm very picky about the style of amps I appreciate, and solid state amps always fall out of being a favorite based on the fact I feel that they're a lower class amp. Still, when you get over the fact it's a lower class amplification style, it sure has a lot of features. Personally, I feel the Boss pedals are second only to Electro Harmonix. The great thing about Roland is that they own the Boss pedal line, which means that this amp, that happens to come loaded with effects, are of a very high quality, it comes with reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, and several different preset gain sounds (overdrive, distortion, metal, metal stack, and lastly tube Drive). It even has a built in tuner, and it has an aux jack, and a headphone jack, as well as the standard equalization. The features make this amp, since it is solid state. // 10

Sound: Okay, first off, I will never give a solid state a 10 for sound, or even a 9 for that matter. You don't get those type of numbers for sound when you're dealing with an amp with inferior construction. However, I can easily say that this is the best sounding solid state/practice amp I've ever used. This amp can achieve anything you ask from it, although you'll obviously never get that authentic tube overdrive out of it. I've used my Telecaster through it and it sounds good with ever pick up option, although I feel it sounds best on my neck pick-up (although that's my prefered pick-up position). It's got a small, small buzzing sound that'll be overpowered if you were to slightly tap your neck. The distortion options are decent, although I've always prefered using my Electro Harmonix Double Muff for using distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: How most people can fill this one out, I'll never know. This amp is only a day old so I think, and hope that I won't have to write anything in here again. So far nothing has been wrong, and it seems quite durable. Hopefully it is a tough as it looks. I guess that it looks like you could drop it a few times, but I don't feel that you deserve a working amp if you're going to be careless with something you're supposed to respect, since it sends out your sounds. // 9

Overall Impression: I love playing classical, classic rock, and lots of stuff, and I've been obsessively playing for over 4 years, and took lessons for 3 years and got to use top of the line amplification during my lessons, so I know how an amp should be. I guess the only thing I regret not asking is if they sold anything besides Peavey and Roland, since I would have rather owned a Epiphone Blues Jr. or Fender Champion. I love the features included in this amp, although I hate solid states. I really like the amps reverb and the built in tuner. I'd still rather have the Epi Blues Jr. or the Fender Champion, but I wasn't the one Who wanted to go amp shopping (my dad bought a new Godin at the same time), so I won't complain. Hhhmmm, what do I wish it had? Some tubes! If it were stolen, I'd say "shit", and get a tube practice amp. When it comes to solid states, Roland makes them well. // 9

Cube 20X Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2007

Purchased from: local store

Features: I play whatever hits me at the moment, from my friend's favorite funk records to some arena-rock mega-distortion lick I just came up with. The various preamp modes are nice because I can think of a tone, twist the lead tones knob and have an approximate tone down in a couple seconds. One of the features I never use is the Power Squeezer. Don't listen to the hype about "maximum sustain without maximum volume" (as Musician's Friend puts it) - all it actually does is limit the power from the amp from 20W to 2W, as outlined in the manual. One little problem with it is, I used to use it, turning it on and turning the volume up accordingly. When you turn the amp off, then back on, it doesn't re-enable the Power Squeezer, giving potential for surprising volume. I have used this in a couple of jamming situations, and although infinitely better than trying to be heard over a small jazz band with a cheap acoustic, I found myself a little let down. Also, after cranking it up by myself, I found that (at least on my specific amp) at about 1:30 on the volume knob without Power Squeezer on, the speaker couldn't seem to handle the power. However, don't discount the volume; this is quite a small amp capable of much higher volumes than those needed to play at home or with a friend. // 8

Sound: This amp comes up with about every sound I can think of. I can get a clean tone which is definitely clean, if a little sterile. Distortions range from a touch-sensitive overdrive (~10 o'clock gain on tube drive mode) to ridiculous levels of distortion fringing on fuzz on the maxed-out metal modes. I use the acoustic simulator as the clean channel because it counteracts the abundance of (slightly annoying) upper mids that my humbucker-equipped guitar (Ephiphone SG-style) puts out. The problem is, this effectively gets rid of the functionality of a 2-channel footswitchable amp. The absolute best thing about this amp is it's level of noise. The first thing I did when I got it was turn up all the knobs to see the kind of noise it would make. There was a soft hiss (like an endless shh) that quickly disappeared beneath the quietest playing. If you use the headphone jack, the hiss disappears altogether and all that's left is the pleasing tone of the amplifier itself. The clean channel breaks up at remarkably high volumes (~4 o'clock on the JC clean), but I believe I may be the unlucky recipient of a slip in quality control; however, I am fine with simply turning down the volume a little. As far as the distortion goes, I'm not sure exactly what face-melting is defined as, but on extreme gain settings, my friend over the phone actually had to ask me what instrument I was playing. This might be good or bad, I suppose. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe this amp is going to last me for a very long time. I will try my best to make sure of that, because it's sound is what really piqued my interest in guitar-playing once again, just like I hoped it would. Other than the mediocre speaker, Everything feels tough. I wouldn't gig with it unless there was a PA handy to supply the volume. // 8

Overall Impression: Whatever music I'm playing, this amp can follow because it models (with decent accuracy) all of the amps I would want to play on. If it was stolen, I might not buy it again because I would like more volume (cube 30/60, perhaps? ). I love the tones on this amp, and the fact that with just about everything I can think of to do with my sound, this little baby can pull it off. I hate that I can't directly connect it to a recording console without it shutting off the internal speaker, making a hassle to monitor myself while recording. My favorite feature is definitely the TUBE Drive mode, which is like having a dynamics expander before the distortion, making the distortion more touch-sensitive. With my guitar's volume dimed, I can go from disappearing in the fuzz to nearly clean just by controlling the force of my hand. This adds a whole new dimension to playing. Overall, I see this amplifier as perfect for me, with the one exception of wanting some more power. Even there, however, there is good. When the clean starts to break up and the speaker distorts, I know that I should turn the volume down because I'm definitely damaging my hearing anyway. This amp is great. I highly recommend it. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: dutchrockstar, on january 25, 2008

Purchased from: DaanSmit

Features: This Amp is one of the later models from Roland. It has 7 channels, 1 clean and six over drives including tube drive (the harder you play the note the more distortion is added), metal stack (a combination of metal and distortion usually for heavy metal), metal (speaks for it's self), distortion (speaks for it's self), overdrive (noise increase and a lower sound) and acoustic (to get a nice sound turn the base down). It is a great practice ampand can get pretty powerfull. It has multiple EFX including the phaser, tremolo, delay, reverb and a few more (can't rememba them at the top of my head. It also has a CD player input which I se to plug my laptop in so that I can use my itunes library as back up music when playing songs. // 9

Sound: I'm using a QTX starter pack guitar with single coil pickups, it ain't the best of guitars but it still sounds just great on this amp. I would imagine that if you were to be playing it with a much better guitar the sound would be much richer. But even with this guitar of mine, it still sounds like a miracle. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't have the amp for too long, but it looks strong, is heavy and I have a 3 year gauranty so I do not expect it to break down any time soon. I have carried it to different locations for jamming with my friends and it still sounds and looks as good as new. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play metal and rock and this amp is awesome for me it give me just the right sounds I need, I have been playing it for a month now and so far it has not let me down. If I were to ever need to play a gig in public I would just grab my laptop and that is all the backup I need, this amp will do the rest. If this thing were stolen I would chase down the thief and make him give it back, or hang "have you seen my amp"posters every were since I don't have the money to buy a new one but if I did I would run back to the shop to get a new one. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: ninjaface, on january 26, 2008

Features: It is a small yet loud solid state practice amp with enough features to cover all the bases. This amp has a clean channel and a lead channel that are switchable via a Roland/Boss footswitch. The downside is that you must purchase this separately. It's got a tuner, but I never use this function. I'm not a great fan of the way the tuner works, so I use an external tuner (hence the 9). I generally use this amp when I can't use my full size rig, mostly for quite practicing. // 9

Sound: Here is the part that gets me excited. This amp sounds amazing. Roland can emulate a clean tube sound like nobody. The clean channel on this amp is to die for. I won't say that it's as good as the Roland JC120, but it comes damn close. If you like a full bluesy, bell like tone, full of great sustain, buy this amp now. The amp is dead quite even on the distortion channel. The distortion on this amp is pretty good for it's size. I'd dare say that it's about as good as you're going to get in an amp of this size. There is only so much bottom end you can get out of a tiny amp, but either way this little fella surprised me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Rock solid all around. I cannot say anything negative about the quality or reliability of this unit. It's awesome. So far so good. I've never gigged with this thing, but I wouldn't hesitate. As for a backup. I'm pretty sure yow wouldn't need one, but Who knows. That depends on things that are usually out of our hands. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any and all styles from blistering metal to sweet sounding blues, to staight up weird shit. The Roland Cube 20X will do anything you want it to. I'm not thrilled about the effects section on this thing, mostly because the settings are limited. However, you can get some very interesting things going effects-wise with a bit of tinkering. If this amp was stolen I'd find the son-of-a-bitch Who stole it, kill them with the amp, and then proceed to shred with the bloodied powerfull unit that is the Roland Cube 20X. I've used a ton of small amps and this is the cream of the crop. Stop thinking about the other stuff. This is it. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: splamron, on january 19, 2009

Price paid: A$ 270

Features: The Roland Cube has some awesome features like the EQ, built in Effects, delay, reverb, on board tuner, clean channel, lead channel, gain, Aux in, footswitch jack and a recording/headphone out and Power squeezer. Power Squeezer lets you play at really low volumes still with a lot of distortion. On the lead channel, there are 6 different Boss effects, Tube Drive, Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion, Overdrive and an Acoustic simulator. As a 'beginner' amp, a new player couldn't ask for anything else. The tuner is really handy as well. It is a great beginner or intermediate practice amp. // 8

Sound: For this review I will be using a Schecter guitar with double humbucking pick-ups. I play predominatly metal and blues, and this amp suits me perfectly. The metal setting can get brutal distortion for almost all styles of metal, while the distortion/overdrive setting is good for blues. The acoustic simulator is awesome as well. The tube Drive acts exactly like a tube amp, allowing to comtrol the dostortion from relativly clean to metal, but is better for classic rock stuff. The JC clean sounds great with the reverb. This amp could do almost any genre. This amp is designed for home playing, as it is only 20 watts. It can get very loud, but you start to get some feedback when cranked full. It stays clean on the clean channel until you crank it to about 8, but I don't play with the volume over half. I chose this amp over the 15x because of the effects. New players could have a lot of fun with this feature. Power sqeezer is great for playing in your room etc. as you can still get maximum distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, you could not gig or play with drums as it is only 20 watts, but prefect for home playing. It is very durable too, built as hard as a rock. I rest my foot on it sometimes and it's fine and I've dropped it from around 20cm but there are no marks on it what so ever. It is extremly sturdy and does what is designed to do extremly well. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp could do almost any genre of music. My previous amp was a Peavey Rage 258 and it owns it, especially with the effects. I would buy it again for sure if it was stolen because it does everything what I want to do with no problems at all. I love the metal setting, sounds great with bands like Trivium, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold. Overall it is perfect for beginning or intermediate players, like me. I highly reccomend this amp. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: Squirrel1993, on august 06, 2009

Features: I don't know what year this amp was made because I'm borrowing it from a friend. This amp is extremely versatile. I play Jazz, Funk, Blues, Most Types of Rock, and Metal. All of these styles can be played on this amp. There are two Channels, since this a modeling amp, each channel is modeled after distortion type, not actual amp models like the 30x on up. That is the big difference here, its based on types of distortion. The clean is modeled after a Roland JC Chorus and the distortion models are: Acoustic Simulator, Overdrive, Distorion, Metal, Metal Stack, and Tube Drive. For people who play extreme metal, such as death metal or such, they probably wont like this amp. This amp does lack the distortion for extreme metal playing, but its just enough for me. The amp can Switch channels, I'm actually using a footswitch from a different amp and it suprisingly works on this amp as well! But I can only switch channels, I cant turn off effects. Theres no looper like the 80x, thre is a headphones and recording out. I do wish it had a boost switch for your lead channel and a brightswitch for your clean. It would be nice if each channel had a seperate EQ as well. I don't use a lot of effects, but its nice to have them on this amp to mess around with. But ya, this little amp is solid. This is a solid state modeling amp. I use this amp for bedroom practice BUT I did bring it over to a friends and it was actually loud enough! I wouldn't suggest using though for an actual gig, unless it was extremely small. The lead channel could use a little more volume, but the clean was deff. Loud enough for a loud Jam session. // 9

Sound: I am using a Squier Fat Strat on this amp, so a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils. So I'm using a pretty low end guitar on this and it still sounds great! Both my guitar and amp suit my styles that I play. They can handle rock, jazz, blues, funk, and metal just fine! When you crank the volume on 10, it will feedback, but its sort of the good feedback for looong sustain, not the really terrible hissing noise. So its really not too noisy. Like before, this amp can pretty much make any sound you're looking for. It DOES take some tweaking though. The clean channel, once on 10, it does start to break up a bit. It turns a lot warmer and sounds a lot more tube like. The distortion on this amp is great for me, but once again, you just play metal and no other style, this amp really wouldn't be for you. This amp I'd say is for some metal, hard rock, classic rock, blues and jazz. More for players who play more than one style. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, you can totally depend on this amp! You wouldn't really do large gigs with this, but you could so smaller gigs with this amp, I would gig without a backup. Its made so extremely well that I doubt that it would ever break down. This amp has never broken down so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, jazz, rock, and metal, This amp was deff. A good match. I've been playing for 3 and half years, I own a Squier fat strat and a DigiTech distortion factory. Note: I did not use any pedals on this amp. I also own a 70's Peavey amp. Nope, nothing I wish I would have asked. Um if it was stolen, I'd have to buy another one to give to my friend because it is his. BUT, if I bought this on my own, I'd probably upgrade to a louder version of this amp. I love its size and versatility. I wish it did have just a tad more distortion. My favorite feature is the medel stack model. It just sounds great! Comparing this to Line 6, this amp totally blows it out of the water. Line 6 tones don't even come CLOSE to this! Compared to a Peavey Vypyr, the Vypyr is more for metal so metal players might actually like that amp more. // 8

Cube 20X Reviewed by: Ruchitya T Anan, on september 30, 2009

Purchased from: Reynolds

Features: I think this amp was first showcased at the previous year's NAMM convention but I'm not too sure. I always go in for power-packed music with a punchy feel and this amp blows me off in that! It has two channle, one for clean(based on the famous 80watt jazz amp) and a lead channel which comes with many features which the previous reviewers No Doubt have explained so I won't go into details there. It has quite a handful of effects inbuilt. I love the metal and Metal Stack effects which come with adequate bass and very good feel. However too much has been tried and the Acoustic simulator is a bit of a let-down. Actually it is not that torrid but when the other features set a benchmark, all the others gotta follow suit. The simulator also generates a bit of a buzz and this seems underlying no matter what you play and the louder you get, the more audible the buzz is. It comes with a 3-way equalizer with knobs for adjusting bass, middle and treble. There is also an in-built tuner which is pretty darn sweet and accurate! I use this just for practicing and jamming a little and it utilizes the 20watts of power VERY effectively. It also has headphone and aux-in and line-out jacks so no problem with adequate back-up features(the COSM effects). Only other problem is that you are not supplied with any proper mechanism to change channels(I mean a footswitch) so purchasing one is totally required if you wanna get down with this amplifier. But that's all I'm complaining. // 8

Sound: I use this amp with my Ibanez GRG220DEX(which I have reviewed thoroughly btw in another page. This amp picks up the sounds my guitar produces very well. The response is also very good with very good feel and vibe seeping though. My styles vary from thrash to heavy and hard..right to country folk and country classical and this amp is versatile enough to handle all that and more. I wouldn't term this amp noisy as much as it is loud. However the sound is balanced and nicely spread-ut and this amp holds it's mettle even at high volume settings. And the distortion must be given special mention here because it bloows me away! I use only the in-built setting for distortion because I never really felt the need for a new pedal when I got this amp. Now that is something I don't hear often about Marshall amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would keep my life on this thing and not worry a breeze because this thing is so damn rock-ish man! It is made of very quality and durable materials and you are imparted this emotion even when you just feel this baby's shell. It is probably some kinda HARD plastic. The panel also has a metallic silver finish around the cluster so that looks pretty good. This amp has been with me for about 7-8 months now and it has not broke down even once. It also has a tube-amp simulator and even yet has not broken down and that ladies n gentlemen, is pretty impressive eh? // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my predominant style of music really well(which is the sub-genres of rock. I have been playing for over 1 1/2 years now and this is a very good amp for my tastes. I definitely would buy this baby again if it ever was stolen(and bang the thief's head with the stolen amp!. Just loove the metal stack simulator, but am pretty less affectionate about the Acoustic simulator. I just compared this with a few Marshall amps before buying it because I was pretty much a novice then. This also was with me when I gradually evolved my styles and skills so I do have a soft corner for this amplifier. Now I know that this amp does not "float on water"(or do all the other shit which many of you mention), but the marks I have given this are really unbiased and I do wanna help anyone interested in purchasing this amplifier. // 9

Cube 20X Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2010

Purchased from: Reverb

Features: Clean channel with JC volume Lead channel with 6 presets (acoustic, overdrive, distortion, metal, metal stack, tube Drive, Lead channel gain and volume knob, Bass, middle and treble 3 band equalisation, built in effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, tremelo), delay/reverb, Aux In, Recording/headphone out, Power squeezer, Channel switch and foot Switch socket. Tuner, (chromatic and Manual modes) I bought this as a practice amp as the Metropoulos rig does take some setting up. I only use it as a practice amp, and it is more than versatile enough for this task and the type of music I play (Goth rock, Metal) My favourite feature is the power squeezer as it brings in upper end Drive at a much lower volume (2 watts as opposed to 20 watts) and I do seem to favour the tube Drive setting as it emulates very well, the attack of a driven sound based on how hard the strings are hit, very akin to a tube amp dynamic but for a fraction of the price, that is not to say, I don't use the other settings, I just think this is one preset that suits my style and The Music I play better than most. I don't use the tremelo setting at all as I have never found this particular sound effect either useful or pleasing. Having owned a jazz chorus many years ago, I found the clean setting nothing short of amazing, a very clean sound but still punchy and warm. My only complaint is that without a presence control which I am used to having on the Metropoulos's, I find it difficult to balance the tone at times and find that to gain the treble, I have to lose aspects of the middle when it comes to equalisation, that is just me, and is no way a criticism of the amplifier itself, just a feature I miss but accept it as at the end of the day, this is a practice amp and not a full blown stage rig // 9

Sound: I use a trio of flying V's, One John Diggins (Jaydee 1958) with Seymour Duncans, One Gibson with Dean Michael Schenker lights out pick ups and an Epiphone Gothic with EMG's, although each of these guitars has its own particular sound nuance, it is important to me that the amplifier reproduces the general sound of a flying V and this amplifier does not let me down, I have tried various other guitars through it with all the settings and at no point, do any of the effects smother the sound and impose their own unlike some other practice or indeed stage amps which impose a general sound regardless of what you plug into it. I don't find any obtrusive noise, a mild amount of hiss is present at the upper range of volume but I don't find it detrimental at all. With the power squeeze on, the sound does take on a broader spectrum but generally, with the master volume at between 4-5, it is like kicking in a much bigger amp, the sound becomes much fuller and punchier and more akin to the valve set up I'm used to, This is my preferred setting on this amplifier and always try to be around this point at all points as to me, this is the optimum level for this amplifier without risking soid state break-up of the sound, and trust me, level 5 is ample loud enough, Maybe a different size room would allow it to go higher whilst allowing the same sounds but this is something I have not tried so cannot comment further, again, this is my observation and not a criticism of the amplifier itself. I do find that no matter how hard I try, the driven sound is typically transistorised and not as smooth as a valve amp, (but has any transistor amp ever successfully emulated a valve amp? )it isn't however harsh but a little sterile to my ear, I have been using tube amps for over 20 years and have become very accustomed to the sound but this does a job, and for the cost, does it well // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp as a foot rest, a stool and a seat. It is a bullet proof little box, very well and sturdily assembled. I have never tried it in a live environment as I have my other amps for that but I have seem other people using the 30 watt version as a back line. In the year I've owned this, I have never had any concerns and have never had any reason to even change a fuse. Turn it on and off you go, plug and play every time // 10

Overall Impression: For what I want and expect from an amplifier, and taking the price into account, This is an ideal piece of kit, the effects alone would cost more than the cost of the amp and to have it all in one compact package is a major advantage. I have been playing over 25 years and have had time with many other manufacturers equipment but at the moment, have two Metropoulos heads (JTM 45 and 50 watt plexi superlead) and 4x12's along with a Vox Tonelab LE and I wish they were as easy to move and set up as this at times. If it were stolen or lost, I would not have any hesitation in replacing it nor any in recommending it to anyone, I have yet to see a practice / lower end amp that can deliver all this amp can for the price, I did look at the 15 watt version but found it lacking in certain areas, less effects, no delay and no footswitch socket and so this was more than worth the bit extra and I found the 30 watt totally unnecessary for what I needed and found it tonally, more hollow than this one. This to me is the best of the bunch I did look at the Mg Marshalls and Peaveys but found that they just couldn't get near to this as far as tone and sound go for the price. Alas I can't give it a 10/10, as I don't feel I use it to it's full spec due to my other equipment and am always comparing the sound to a JTM 45 but if you are in the market for a very reasonably priced practice amp, or one you can Jam along with your friends at volume, packed with features with bullet proof build and reliability, this is the one you should take home. // 9

Cube 20X Reviewed by: Dee Ay, on october 07, 2010

Price paid: C$ 230

Purchased from: Pinnacle Music Studios

Features: I got this amp earlier in June of this year along with my first electric guitar. It is well suited to any style of music and is a very versatile amp with many effects. It has tremolo, 6 different diverse sound channels, a JC clean setting delay, amongst many other features. I often just end up using a bit of reverb, and the tube Drive setting most of the time, but I do change things around from time to time. Very good amp for features and the features all have powerful and distinct sounds. // 10

Sound: The Roland 20x is well suited to any style of music, but it is sometimes hard to easily find that more bluesy, jazzy, or R&B tone I often crave. It's a bit easier now that I've used the amp more and more, but it took a little bit of personal fine tuning to find my tone from the amp. This is not necessarily a bad thing because for me the fact that the amp has so many features makes me constantly keep tweaking things and searching for that perfect sound I want during my session of that playing period. I've found some very good set ups that work very well for me using this amp with my electric guitar. The amp can make so many sounds, ranging from more Acoustic tones to some completely alien tones. Anyone can find a tone they like with this amp BUT as I stated before, sometimes you'll have to keep tweaking and retweaking for a while to find that perfect sound for you. The clean setting does not get distorted too easily and I've had no problems with playing clean at high volumes or low volumes. Speaking of volume...this amp can play up to a really loud volume. It's got volumes for at home practice, small room practice, and even some larger crowd performances. Of course, for massive concerts, players will want to try Roland's cube in it's bigger sizes. For what it's worth though, the sound is phenominal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very reliable and durable. It is conveniently sized to carry around easily, it packs a massive punch with sound, and it's built to last. I would use this amp without fearing it will malfunction or disappoint me in a gig any day. I've experienced no breakdowns and I've not had to service it or have anything in it changed or repaired since I got it in June. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a good amp for what I want to play. In fact, it would be an amp I could recommend to mostly anybody if they needed a primary amp or a backup amp for any occasion. Like I said, I haven't had it for too long but I would say I haven't had any buyer's remorse since getting it. The only other amp in this price range that many people may compare to this one would be the Vox Valvetronix, which I haven't played through before but I can assure people that the Roland 20x can definitely get the job done too. All in all, after tweaking around with the settings and tones, you'll find the amp will satisfy mostly all your playing needs exceptionally well. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: windmilldweller, on december 06, 2010

Price paid: € 170

Purchased from: Muziekhuis Westerhaven

Features: - 20 watt output - 20 cm speaker - 2 Channels Clean and Lead - Lead channel effects -Acoustic -overdrive - Distortion - Metal - Metal Stack - Tube Drive (my favorite lead channel setting) - tuner - three band equaliser - built in chorus, flanger, phaser & tremelo - seperate delay and reverb - headphone jack - external input jack i.e. MP3 players // 10

Sound: CLEAN channel is awesome most definately my favorite setting. My favorite lead setting is tube Drive. It can get very loud I have a huge attic room and you can hear it downstairs (three floors down) even at level 7. I have a Big Muff Pi with Tonewicker and the cube handles it awesomely and a crybaby which sounds even better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had any problems with it. But I only play gigs on my trumpet not on my guitar. The guy at the store said that he has sold 300 of these and never has had one brought back. I have dropped it once from knee height. Thought SHIT it is broken plugged it in and the sweet Scar Tissue intro came through, a great sigh of relief. // 9

Overall Impression: I LOVE this amp. I have been playing for a couple of months and this is my first amp. I would not buy this amp again however. I would buy an Roland JazzChorus 50 because I pretty much only use the clean channel after getting the Bigg Muff pi as a present. I own a Squier Bullet Strat HSS and can have played it through other amps but non of them cmpare to the sound I get playing through my Cube. // 10

Cube 20X Reviewed by: noisewall11, on january 27, 2011

Features: First off, I'd like to point out(if you haven't seen my previous comment)that I'm actually reviewing an older Roland cube 20X. I'm not postive exactly when it was made, but I do know it was made between 2004 and 2006 for sure. This version is a little bit more "no thrills-y" and is much simpler than the other Roland cubes mentioned here, but never the less it's still a good amp. Anyways, the amp is versitle enough for my styles of music(I really only need the clean channel, and I use my own effects/dist.)it has only two channels(clean and lead) three inputs(normal input, aux in, and recording/headphones. A three band EQ and 4 distortion settings(dist., overdrive, metal and metal stack. It also has two nice little prongs on the back to coil the pain in the ass wall plug. The only reason I gave it a 7 is because I think it could have more features. Even though I don't necesarily need the extra effects, I think they would be nice to have in case. Also I wish it had a few more EQ knobs, but that's really it.. I don't feel I'd need anything else with this amp. I use it in my bedroom and it's more than enough for me there. This amp DOESN'T have; the on board tuner and effects. No amp modeling, no power squeeze, no nothing like that. Again, it's still a good amp though. // 7

Sound: I play a Fender jazzmaster with the cube and I play experimental, and yes as I've said it suits the music style just fine. The clean setting is all I need and it works fine. I did used to use the amps distortion, but that all changed once I bought a big muff. Doing so made the distortion sound entirly different, as if someone put a thick blanket over the amp. Also, it seems like it takes alot of tone away compared to the big muff. I don't know what to say about it really, I guess my ears were oblivious to it before, cause it used to sound really good to me... oh well. I'm sure Roland has made their cube's lead channel alot better by this point, so don't be discouraged by this. It's still a good amp. The distortion isn't incredibly "brutal" but it will work for you. I don't know about it distorting on the clean channels at high volumes cause I already have problems with my ears and I've never felt the need to turn it up all the way, it seems plenty loud on 2-3. It's a quiet amp for the most part, but it gets pretty buzzy with the addition of some effects. Not really a big variety of sound features on this rendition of the cube.. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It seems like a pretty dependable amp. I've borrowed this amp from a friend and have had it a year and a half since.. No problems at all. I wouldn't neglect this amp so I can't really speak for any of that stuff, but I'll bet it could take a bigger beating than you think.. I'm also not sure about gigging either. I don't gig currently but I don't think this could do anything much bigger than a coffee house sized gig. That's just my opinion though, I'd honestly look into something bigger for gigging. // 7

Overall Impression: My impression is that is just an average practice amp. That's why I gave it all 7's because it's pretty good, but it has it's flaws/missings like everything does. It isn't a bad amp but it's not a really good amp either. Just pretty decent. If it were lost/stolen I'd have to buy another one, cause it's not mine..there's nothing I hate about it, but nothing I really love. It just does it's job like I need it to and that's all that should matter. I'd recommend this amp to any begginer/intermediate player. // 7

Cube 20X Reviewed by: TypicalRocker, on july 12, 2011

Features: The Roland Cube 20X is a fairly recent, but not new, amp to hit the market, and all I can say is this amp is a beginner/intermediate guitar player's DREAM. I can say without a doubt that it may be possibly the most versatile amp out there, along with the entire Roland Cube series. There are two channels, the Clean channel, which is based off Roland's Jazz Chorus 120 amplifier, and the Lead Channel. Clean is clean, however the lead channel has 6 different levels of distortion. I will go by tuning, which I will later talk about. 6E - Acoustic Simulator; Sounds almost EXACTLY like an Acoustic guitar. 5A - Overdrive; Gives a deep, rich tone, something for LP users. 4D - Distortion; Gives you those screaming highs, perfect for Les Pauls and Strats. 3G - Metal; Really treble-based sound, punk rockers would love it. 2B - Metal Stack; My PERSONAL favorite, gives you a hard rock badass sound you'd expect from a full-stack. Deep, pounding lows, and screaming highs. Even rock Gods could appreciate this level. 1E - Tube Drive; The Tube Drive adds distortion as you play, but like Metal, it is really treble-driven. I'd crank the bass knob for this one. And now the tuner; there is a built-in tuner on the Roland Cube 20X and it's not your average amp tuner, this thing is dead-on. There's no this and that, this can (for your simple EADGbe tuning) give you exact, spot-on tuning. There are 4 effects: Chorus - For those opening Metallica riffs. Flanger and Phaser - Gives you a truly trippy experience. Tremolo - Don't know much about tremolo, but I'm guessing it's decent, on par with a Vox AC30. And then Delay and Reverb: Delay - I don't much care for it, but it's stellar, nonetheless. Reverb - Personally no matter what I'm recording I'll throw a touch of Reverb. This amp has good control if you want a little reverb, you get a little reverb. If you want that hard echo, twist the knob all the way to the right and you've got it. All in all, for a 159 dollar amp, the features on this amp are AMAZING. // 10

Sound: I personally use a Squier HSS Stratocaster, and I personally think this amp works best with Strats. You can still get a 7/10 sound with a Epiphone or a Les Paul, but I think the designer of this amp was basing it more towards the Strat. I play Hard Rock and Blues Rock and this amp keeps me satisfied, whether it be on a little distortion for your blues, or pounding lows and blaring highs for metal and hard rock. There is a power squeezer on the amp so if you want a loud-sounding quiet (if that makes sense) tone, you can have it. However, once you get in the 7-9 range, this amp does get pretty loud (for a little 1x8 10 Watt amp). I wouldn't recommend it for concert playing, but you can definitely Jam with it, no doubt. The clean channel and the lead channel are both great, but like all amps, the Clean gets a tid bit distorted going into the 8-10 volume range. But the distortion is almost perfect. Could use a Boss pedal or too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If you want to say an effect pedal for a guitar is durable, you say it's built like a BOSS. The same goes for Roland. Roland amplifiers, especially the Cube series, are built tough. I've dropped, smashed, and ACCIDENTALLY kicked this amp several times, and it works fine, no sound issues or anything. The amp has never broke down, and probably never will. In 2203 when they're jamming their paperthin glass guitars, they could plug it in to these 2009 Roland Cubes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Hard Rock on a HSS Stratocaster. This amp is absolutely perfect for Blues, Hard Rock, and a bit of Metal and Punk. It's a versatile amp and I'd recommend it for ANYBODY as a Stellar practice amp. It's hard to find things to dislike about this amp to be honest, it's just a Killer amp. I wish I asked for a Cube 40x! All the Roland Cubes are just freakin' amazing, man! I've been playing for 3 or so years and gone through maybe 4 amps but this one is a keeper, until I'm done playing guitar. If it was stolen or lost, I would hunt down the thief and throw him off a cliff. And then go buy a Roland Cube 40x or 60x, maybe 80x. I love what Roland did with these amps! I'm giving it a 9 overall ONLY because it isn't a 1x10 or 1x12. But for a 1x8, 10 Watt amplifier, this is the ultimate combo amp. // 9

Cube 20X Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2012

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

Features: 2009 Roland Cube 20X. What an exceptional amp! Amazing amp models, very good distortions and truly incredible cleans! If your looking for great tone out of a small, portable amp, get one of these beasts! Basic features: - 2 Channel (JC Clean & Lead) - Clean volume - 6 lead types (Tube Drive, Metal Stack, Metal, Distortion, Overdrive, Acoustic Sim) - Lead channel gain - Lead channel volume - 3-Band EQ (Bass, Middle, High) - EFX knob (Off, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo) - Delay/Reverb Knob (Delay, Reverb) - Foot switch controllable (Channel switching and effects on/off) - Recording Out/Phones - Power Squeezer (very useful, use it all the time to get a better sound at low volume! Switches amps power from 20W down to 2W) - AUX in jack (for iPod, MP3 Connections) - Single guitar input - Multi-Ply cabinet, closed back - 8in/20CM, 20w speaker x 1 Quite a lot of feature from a small practice amp. All functions have worked flawlessly since the day I bought it, not a single problem EVER, it even survived a power surge at my house. That same surge did $3000 worth of damage by frying our smaller TVA, a laptop and the toaster. // 9

Sound: I play through this amp using an Ibanez RG350EXZ (my main metal guitar), some Ibanez GIO piece-of-**** for my downtuning, and a Fender American Standard Strat for blues and jazz. I have gigged with this amp once or twice, and the cleans didn't break up even using the amp at full-tilt, which I found quite surprising as it is louder than our drummer. The distortion models are very good for practicing, but I personally prefer using my pedal chain and running the amp on clean, which leads me to a side note: This amp takes to pedals EXCEPTIONALLY well! I run this setup through it on a daily basis; Ibanez RG350EXZ > ModTone Vintage Wah > Boss AW-3 > Boss MT-2 > Boss OD-3 > Boss CH-1 > Behringer US600. I am surprised at how well it handles them and how good it sounds! This amp suits almost any style, but it does depend on weather you are using onboard effects or separate pedals. The actual pedal effects sound far better than the Cube's built in ones, so it does loose a mark there. But for a beginner's amp or even an advanced player's practice amp, it's sound will blow you away! // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's made by Roland, who makes Boss. Need I say more? No? Well I will anyway! Put simply, this amp is indestructible! Built just as tough as Boss pedals, this amp could probably hands any form of damage aside from going swimming with it. Kicked it? No problem! Dropped it down stairs? Pfft nada. Had it fall out of the back of your car and bouncy down the highway? Meh just a scratch here and there! I think you get my point, not many things a single human can do will ever damage this tank. Have gigged with it, without a backup, and in fact sometimes it has outperformed my mates 40 Watt Vox tube amp! This amp's build quality is exceptional, what it lacks in a bit of tonal character, it makes up for by being able to survive a nuclear holocaust. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp to bits, it has been my faithful companion for nearly two years now, and I can get virtually any tone I want out of it. But that's the problem... VIRTUALLY. I'm soon to be getting a Jet City JCA5212RC to replace this as my main amp, and I'll be sad to see it gather dust. It will still be my backup amp, and the one I take round to friends houses as it is very light and portable. I have been playing almost two and a half years, and it's taken me 6 months to decide to finally leave this amp and get a new, all tube one. BUT, I will be getting an Ibanez TK999HT Tube King distortion pedal, specifically for this amp, so I will be getting a better, tubier? Tone out of it. If it were stolen I would hunt the person down and drag them through a minefield, for touching my favourite amp! I would certainly buy another cube, but maybe a 40XL instead (Bigger speaker for better sound and projection, more wattage for larger gigs, built in looper, three channels not two) and use that as my backup amp. I also have a Line 6 Spider IV 15w, which I despise. This Cube destroys the Spider anally in terms of effects, tone, distortion particularly, and also ease of use. Two things I wish it had: A Damn noise gate! So when I have high gain pedals run into it it doesn't buzz so much. And a looper, which Roland has now added to its newer series Cubes. Overall, a perfect beginners amp, backup amp, and a practice amp for any guitarist, regardless of skill level or style. // 9

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014