Cube 30 Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 06/10/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Roland: Cube 30
No other amp in this class packs the sonic punch or versatility of the new Roland Cube 30 Guitar Amplifier. This compact guitar amp offers a two-channel design, an active 3-band EQ, an Auxiliary input and Recording/ Headphone output.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 8.6
 8.6
 8.6
 8.5
reviews (21) 52 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Features: This amp is great for all of the styles of music I play. It has a clean channel, but it also has another channel that has acoustic, black panel, brit combo, tweed, classic stack, metal stack, and r-fier stack. Most of these work perfect with my guitar, though for acoustic you have to turn the volume up to about 10 on the amp. It has chrous, flanger, phaser, and tremolo effects that at the moment I just play around with, though they still keep the great sound of the amp. The amp has delay and reverb aswell as an equalizer. I have only been playing for about half a year, but this amp is very powerful. On metal stack with half volume and 3 gain I was able to wake the neighbors up. The only thing I believe would make this amp better is if it had a footpedal so you could change between lead and clean channels on the go. // 10

Sound: I play an Ibanez Gio (not sure of the exact model) with this amp, and I think the guitar works nicely with this amp. The fact that this amp has metal stack and other effects built in it suits my music style more than anything without these would. This amp can get very loud very fast with many of the channels, along with changing the guitar set volume or tone. This amp can make from acoustic and clean sounds to metal distortion, making it an even better amp because it is not necessary to buy many footpedals to achieve all of this. I have not heard the clean channel be distorted by voulme yet, though I haven't played the clean channel at high volumes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe that I can depend on this amp for almost anything. It survived dropping out of a truck when the store got it in and survived dropping out of another truck when it was brought home, though it sounds like something may have come lose, it does not effect the sound as far as I can tell. The next gig I play I believe that I could play this amp witout a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, and this amp suits them all. It is the first amp that I have owned but I have tried many other amps that my friends have and I must say that this puts them all to shame. The amp that I was going to buy was a 25 watt Ibanez, though it was a suprise when I found this, and much more satisfied, the amp may have cost more but was a much better amp overall. Like I said earlier a footpedal to switch between lead and clean channels would be great. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: bartdevil_metal, on june 21, 2007

Sound: The Guitar I primarily use is a Jackson JS30 Dinky. For those that don't know, this has Jackson brand Passive EMG pickups. I play a diverse amount of genres. This amp has covered all of them to a satisfactory standard. Because this amp has so many different sounds, it has become a bit of a "Jack of all trades, master of none." It will do all of the sounds to a reasonable standard, but none of them are exceptional. I'll go through all the sounds, and say what I think of them. Clean - good round, warm jazzy sound. I think it's a bit flat and lifeless without Chorus and Delay backing it up. Acoustic - if you use it, make sure the gain isn't set past 6. It breaks up ridiculously after this and sounds like a tube amp thats on its way out. Black Panel - good sound, though much louder at the same volume than all the other distortion settings. If I'm playing quietly, I can't set the volume low enough and I have to turn the gain down. Other than that, the tone and clarity of this channel is excellent. Brit Combo - barely use. Good sound of Arctic Monkeys, Dani California-type RHCP distortion. Tweed - great for blues/rock 'n' roll. Perfect Chuck Berry type sound. Classic Stack - Jimi Hendrix sound at lower gain settings, but high gain can just as easily turn it into a Slash-ish type sound. Metal - replicates Maiden's tone pretty well, but only with the gain on 10. I rarely use this setting, prefering the R-Fier setting below. R-Fier - my favourite setting. Bone-Crushing distortion. Replicates the Mesa Boogie sound as well as is possible with a solid state amp. I use this all the time. High volume break-up, happens at about 6 on the clean channel and about 8 on the distortion, which is fair enough. I mean it's only 30w for cryin' out loud. It's perfectly loud enough to practice with a band, or by yourself at home. Noise is an issue if you have on of the following installed or turned on where you play. I've heard rumours that a surge protected plug extension can solve this. Never tried it though. I've given it an 8 because the noise is mildly annoying, and clean channel breaks up at to low a volume for me. All the effects on this amp are the same as the Boss stomp boxes you can get. Listen to the sound samples of those for an idea of the effects' sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If there was a Nuclear War, my Roland Cube would survive. I commute over 30 miles to school on the train. This amp goes with me and has survived rain, sleet and snow, not to mention rush hour packed trains with people kicking and tripping over it. Make sure you register it with Roland when you buy it. Otherwise, in the unlikely event it does break, they'll drop you like a bad habit. I would, and have gigged with this amp without a backup. On one occasion our lead guitarist's amp broke and a friend lent him one of these to play with. He said he preferred the response, and his amp was a Laney LC-30 Tube. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the only amp I currently own, though I am shopping around for a tube combo. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, simply for the purpose of a practice and backup amp. I love it's reliability and diversity, but I hate it's flat clean channel and retarded acoustic setting. My favourite feature is the Chorus effect, which saves the clean channel's arse. Don't get me wrong. I have judged this amp quite harshly. I'm sure if you're looking at this and wish to buy a cube, you don't want to see how brilliant it is, you want to see what it's weak points are, so that you can judge it accurately. In my honest opinion, this is the best practice amp you can buy at this price. Sure, it's not genre specific, but for a guitarist who likes to branch out into many different styles, this amp will respond to your every need. It's solid, dependable and I recommend you buy it. I give it an 8, because against other amps I have played it is beaten. However, the amps that beat it are double the price, so I forgive it. // 8

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Minderbinder, on november 29, 2006

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

Features: I use this amp as a practice amp because it is light and small. But light and small doesn't affect this amps sound and power. It has a JC clean channel, and a lead channel. The lead selections are seven pre-set sounds. On both you can adjust seperate volumes, as well as bass, middle, and treble. It has reverb and delay, along with four effects. They are chorus, flanger, phaser, and tremolo. On all of the effects you can adjust the level of the effect from overpowering to subtle, just by turning a knob. It also has an aux in input, recording out/headphones output, and a footswitch output. // 9

Sound: I use a Washburn X-50 and a Brian Moore 81.13 through it, when I'm away from home. When I travel with it, it is usually only to church practice, or up to visit reletives. It is not meant to be a jammin with friends amp. But for where you need a good practice amp, this thing is great. Just the right mix of effects. The pre-set lead sounds are very limited, and most are just hevely distorted. The acoustic setting soungs nothing like an acoustic (not that I expected it to), and the rest fluctuate in volume. Some I use, but I am mostly customizing the clean channel. On the JC clean channel, it is clean. And I mean clean. Perfect. Like I get out of the expensive amp. And this thing packs a punch. Thirty watts is a lot to get out of a small amp like this. And the tones don't get more distorted as the volume goes up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a rock. And a good seat if you ever find yourself in dire need of one. I have owned it for three years and I havn't experienced any probloms with it. I hardly ever sevice it, and I trust it everywhere I go. The knobs are even inlayed, so nothing can knock them, and you can stack it. I have even dropped it once or twice, and it doesn't have a single scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: Where I use it most, like I said, it is a perfect match for me. I have been playing for eight years, and this is by far the best practice amp I have ever owned. If it were lost or stolen, I would probobly buy something else, though. Only because they upgraded the whole series. I might buy one of those. I compared it to small Fender amps, along with some small amps from different brands, but this one, although a little more money, was lighter, more compact, and just plain had more effects than the others. If Roland made more amps, I would look into those. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Aetius, on august 13, 2004

Purchased from: Tonika

Features: This amp is great! It's very good for the classical player due to the fact that is has a great JC clean channel and also the COSM model "Acoustic" would fit the classical player, not to mention the great delay/chorus. It's got great varieties: you can choose from these models; Acoustic, Black Panel, Brit Combo, Tweed, Classic Stack, Metal, R-fier. And of course the separate EFX; Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo and another separate effects control; Delay/Reverb. It also has a 3-band EQ, an Auxiliary input, recording/headphone input, footswitch. This is top notch for it's price class. This amp is good for home practice and band practice (even gigging, if have large gigs, mic it!) This is a solid state (I think) with an enormous amount of power. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Yamaha Pacifica which suits me fine. My music style is mainly alternative rock, indie rock/pop, brit rock. This amp is not noisy, even at high volume it isn't! This amp can give you the greatest variety there is! using effects from all styles, it practically suits all styles. The clean channel sounds superb, the tone is so good. The distortion can be very brutal and can be added with a bit of variety by using a Flanger or Phaser effect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this without back-up. This cannot fail on you as it's very robust. It has never broken down due to the fact that I've only owned it for a few days but I trust Roland equipment not to fail on me. // 10

Overall Impression: This certainly suits my style! It sounded even better than anticipated on high volume levels. I've been playing for half a year and I play with my bandmates and they're amazed at the sound this baby gives you! I just wish there was a Fuzz-distortion on the amp, but that is a bit too much to ask for isn't it! If someone would steal it, I'd be so angry, I'd put a bounty on his head and buy a new one ASAP! I love the great distorted sounds with cool harmonics, I also like the clean channels and effects! My favourite feature must be the Phaser/Delay combination along with the harmonics from the Metal (I'm not a metal fan, but the metal gives me the good harmonics!) I compared this with Marshalls/Peaveys/Zooms and this was just the best. The Marshall MG serie is crap. The Peavey doesn't sound as rich and nice and the Zooms don't have the sound I want. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2005

Purchased from: Woodbridge Arcadia Of Music

Features: This amp can make the most amount of different sounds out of all the amps I have seen yet. It models 8 different legendary amps and has 4 digital effects plus a delay and reverb knob. It has 2 channels: JC clean and lead and also a knob for each bass, middle, trebble and gain. It's the most versitile amp I have ever owned and it's perfect for practising in your room. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with it and it sounds great. I play mostly classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, etc) and it can sound exactly like any of the songs that anyone makes because it's so versitile. If I wanted to, I could play punk (but I never would because its the easiest and gayest thing one could play) or any other kind of music (except for rap, I don't even classify rap music, it doesn't use instruments and requires no talent to make). This amp is great and no other amp could do what this does without any effect pedals or any kind of aid. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very solid and can survive many drops. I havent had any problems with it yet because I take care of my gear alot. It hasn't given me any problems yet and I don't think it ever will. // 10

Overall Impression: The Cube-30 matches any kind of style of music and I don't need any pedals or anything. If it were stolen, I would certainly get a new one or get a Cube-60. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2006

Features: This amp holds up its end to just about anything you could play. I could be playing some Green Day and just turn the amp knob and all of a sudden sound like Lenny Kravitz, or Jimi Hendrix, or even Slash. I think the versatility of this amp is probably the biggest strong point it has to offer, the intergrated effects just make it even better. I have to agree that the only feature that this amp unfortunitely lacks is the foot-switch. Because of the different styles I play, a foot-switch could have helped a lot. But I must say, the options make for a nice package. // 8

Sound: I play a Jay Turser Strat replica with the EQ as such; Bass; 20/20, Middle; 15/20, Treble; 10/20. I play alot of Green Day so it was important for me to have a really fat, yet punchy sound, and although my single-coil pickups might have helped, in the "Classic Stack" mode, with the gain on fully and my guitar on 1/2 volume, this amp sounds just like a Marshall 1959SLP Plexi. It's amazing how well the COSM modeling works. If you play in acoustic mode though, on high volume you will hear quite a bit of minute distortion, although my gain knob on full must have attributed to it. I have single-coil pickups, so I can't juge wheather this amp is noisy or not because they tend to hum a little on their own. But I really, really like the different personnalities that each amp has thanks to the COSM, lets say you were playing rythm guitar throughout a song and feel like playing a really "gritty", yet warm solo. You'd just have to turn the amp knob over once or twice and there you go, it's amazing. I'm not too sure about the noise-gating though, It's probably because I play at around 1/2 volume, the "Sweet-Spot" of my guitar. One thing though; this amp can get very loud very fast, specially when switching to "British Combo" (Vox AC-30TB). So watch out. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a sturdy amp, I've had the misfortune of dropping it a couple times and it doesn't sound any differently. It can get hard to clean in the little nooks and cracks, but it isn't that important. If there's one thing I noticed about this amp, its that although this is a solid-state amp it can still get hot after a just a little while. I keep my amp in my room next to the window, which just happens to be over the radiator, so if your going to play in this situation at least open the window, to keep it from getting too hot. I have yet to gig with it, but since it's been dropped a couple of times I wouldn't worry about it when gigging. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp can make my guitar sound like Billie Joe Armstrong's 1956 Les Paul Jr., like Lenny Kravitz' 1959 Flying-V and like Slash's Signature Les Paul, all rolled in to one, so I'd have to say this is a great amp, the different modeled amps are a great idea. I don't think I could have gotten a better deal for the price I paid. It sounds like a dream, and it works like one too, so if your thinking of getting this amp, do so. You won't regret it. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2006

Purchased from: steve's music

Features: This amp is made in China. It is very versatile, I play from classic rock to metal to pop and stuff like that and it suits it all. It has 2 channels, JC clean and Lead. On the lead channel you got 8 models: acoustic, black panel, brit combo, tweed and the 3 stack models: classic, metal and R-fier. It has reverb/delay and chorus/flanger/phaser/tremolo effects. It have a 3 band EQ, headphone/record out jack, aux in (for drum machines and stuff) and a foot Switch plug (footswitch is sold separately). This is a pretty loud amp for what I use it for: bedroom practice, waking up the whole family and jamming with friends. I guess I could take it to a small gig like school talent show but I don't think I would take it to a big gig, if I needed more power I would obviously go for the Cube 60. // 10

Sound: I use a Yamaha starter pack fat strat (even cheaper then squiers) and it sounds pretty good even with that, sometimes some buzzing noises but I think that's from the pickups. At the shop I tried it with a Gibson Les Paul Studio and it sounds awesome. Sometimes on pretty much all channels it is noisy but I think that's from my cheap pickups because it was ok at the shop. The amp have a very large variety of sounds, the acoustic sound pretty good, if you want a real acoustic guitar sound, you wont be happy, but it gives a nice smooth sound. The reverb, delay, and all the other effects are really good, I can mess for like an hour with the flanger and delay without getting bored. The distortion sound pretty good, and on the metal and R-fier models with the gain cranked you get some really brutal distortion. I cranked the clean when my parents were gone and it wasn't distorted at all, I just cranked it up to noon since when I was playing low notes like a low E, my whole desk was shaking. The clean can get really loud, even louder then metal with full gain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I can depend on it, I just got it so it didn't broke on me yet, but I would take it to a small gig, but for a bigger one I would use the Cube 60. I wouldn't use a backup, 1st, because I don't have the money, and 2nd, because I trust it. The only thing that scares me is when it shakes like a madman when the clean is just at noon. // 10

Overall Impression: As said earlier, I play mostly classic rock, with a tad bit of metal and pop, and this amp match perfectly. I've been playing for only 6 months so I only have a cheap Yamaha starter pack, and well, this is at least 100 times better then the crap amp. I wish I had asked if it was normal that it shakes at high volumes, I guess it is. It it were stolen/lost, I think I would buy another one, or maybe just save up for a Marshall (not MG). What I love about this amp is the clean channel, the stacks models, the distortion, and all the effects (pretty much everything). There's nothing I hate about it, but I find it a lil too bassy sometimes but I think that's some being used to. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Raziel2p, on august 20, 2007

Features: The amp is a 34W solid state with a small selection of ways to tweak your sound. These include a 3-band equalizer and two knobs that can produce different effects, one on which you can choose between chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo, and the other with delay and reverb, and each can alter the "amount" of these effects, not very precicely, but still. There are two channels, "JC clean" which is simply clean and has a single volume knob, and "Lead" which includes various amp models to produce different sounds. These are acoustic, black panel, brit combo, tweed, stack classic, stack metal and stack r-fier. The only I've found useful among these is acoustic, the others sound downright bad or just awkward, and I don't see the point of most of them. You may be able to produce '70s rock and a bunch of other kind of sounds with mixing around with these effects, but I can do the same with a simple selection of pedals as well, with a little experimentation, and it sounds a lot better. The lead channel has a gain and volume knob. The amp has an input, an aux in for CD players/mp3 players, a footswitch input and a recording out/headphones, the latter which I never use any more because it sounds so awful. I'd rather play without an amp or turn down the volume real low. There's no external speaker output, but I think the amp is the weakest link here, not the speakers. In theory, this amp has a good selection of features, but they all seem to be of low quality, and the presence knob is something I'm really missing, you'll understand why when you read on. // 4

Sound: I've used several guitars on this amp, ranging from Fender Stratocaster to Epiphone Les Paul to my Ibanez RG-1527 7-string and I play anything from blues to metal. All in all, the amp sounds good all the time. But then again, I'm playing the clean channel with pedals. The amp models that are avaliable on the amp are next to useless. You might use the acoustic model for fingerplaying, but that's where it ends for me. The other models sound bad and aren't all that versatible, it's impossible to get the blues overdrive sound, and the three distortion modes are absolutely dreadful. It sounds as if half the treble has been cut out and the absent presence knob is turned down to zero, and no playing with the equalizer will fix it. All in all, this amp has a good speaker, but chances are you'll end up like me, playing it through the clean channel with pedals to produce the sound, only using the slightest hint of reverb on the amp itself. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This is probably the only place I can say something positive about the amp. I've had it for 4 years and it's been through quite a lot. It's fallen down stairs and a kid has tried playing it with the volume up so high his ears are probably scarred for life, but it doesn't seem to have deteriorated. It seems to be very reliable indeed. Though if it wasn't, 15 year olds would more easily be able to make their parents buy a new (and better) amp. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all, I have to say this is a downright bad amp. It has no useful features or the (normally) useful ones are of bad quality, the amount of different sounds you can get out of it alone is low and the sounds you can get out of it sound bad, and you're going to rely on pedals to get any kind of useful sound out of it. I don't see why it's reccomended for starters at all. Honestly, even the Spider III is better in my eyes, at least it has proper distortion. // 5

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2004

Purchased from: Middletown Music

Features: The Cube-30 is an all around awesome amp made in 2k4 as far as I know. And since I played it in the store it is one of the most versatile amps I have ever played on...It's great for practice and can hold its own on a gig being a loud 30w solid state. It suits my style very well as I play anything from jazz-rock to hard blues-rock to some electric folk. It's a two channel amp with optional foot pedal input and also has an Aux-input for Midi devices (which Roland is known for). As for the onboard effects on this baby...it's got enough to keep you busy for days. With onboard efx like Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, and Tremolo as well as seperate Delay/Reverb settings, you can get an unbelievable variety of sounds. However, where the Cube30 really shines is with its COSM amp-imatation system. With 7 different classic amp sounds like: Acoustic, Black Panel (Fender Reverb sound), Brit Combo (Vox), Tweed (Fender Bassman), Classic Stack (Marshall sound), Metal (Peavey), and R-fier (MESA/boogie sound). Each setting is quite an accurate reproduction of each of the classic amp sounds listed all in addition to the normal clean tone. // 10

Sound: I run a Washburn WI-64DL through this amp (with Twin Hum's) and it sounds incredible with any setting. From anywhere to a folky acoustic sound to a a classic blues tone, to a hard driving rock sound, to an in your face metal/grunge feel you can pull it off. There is very little hum from the 10" speaker and the sound is loud and clear with distortion when you need it and a ringing clean tone. You can use it as a practice amp in your bedroom and rock the house or use it for band practice because it can hold its own with drums and bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet gigged with this amp yet but knowing how loud it is at like 4 on the volume I know it'll be enough to be heard through anything...and even if you do need that extra punch it can be mic'ed with no problem. And I've had for about a month now and there is not a problem with it and I'm sure this is the only amp I'll need for a while (gigs or no gigs). // 10

Overall Impression: Since everything I've already said pretty much sums it up...I'll close y saying, if you are ever in the store and see this amp or its little brother the Cube15...give it a shot, you'll be amazed I'm sure...especially if you play a variety of music and want a variety of sounds. This is a versatile amp that rocks and if it were stolen...I'd hunt them down or buy it back without another thought. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2004

Purchased from: Tonika

Features: Ok, first off let me say that you shouldn't be fooled by all the glowing reviews this amp has gotten from other reviewers. You should wait with reviewing for a couple of months after you've bought the amp. Which I've done. The amp is a 30 Watts, solid state guitar amp. It has cosm amp modeling, which is a digital model of a couple of famous amps like the Vox AC30 TB. It's also got some digital onboard effects like chorus, flanger, phaser, gain, reverb etc. A headphone jack is also included, which is useful if you've got neighbours. // 6

Sound: I'm using a Samick Les Paul copy (dual humbuckers) with this amp, it's not the best guitar but its good enough for this amp. I've been playing acoustic for two years and electric for a year now. I play all kinds of styles but this amp doesn't handle all of them equally well. First off, the amp is really loud, so dont be fooled by its size, it's good enough for jamming with a band. And although the amp can put out a decent amount of sound, it doesn't sound very good. You can hear that it's a solid state, especially when you use the digital effects and/or amp modeling. It all sounds a bit digital, i.e. it lacks the warmth of a tube amp. Which brings me to the distortionm the distortion is ok, but it's mainly a white noise type of distortion. Don't get me wrong it doesnt sound bad, but it's not top notch either. All in all, I'd say this amp is best for people who prefer the heavier types of music, thats what this amp does best: put out distorted sounds with heavy bass at high volume. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this amp at a gig cause its too small for giggin. But it's a reliable amp, I've had it for a year and have never had any trouble with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I wasn't really satisfied with this amp until I had my guitar downtuned to C (so two steps down from E), the Roland can put out some sick sounds now. Before I just didn't like the high tones because it lacked the warmth (but that may just be my taste). So all in all I'd say this is a good amp for beginners, although I would recommend the Cube 15 to a beginner because its just as good (it lacks some of the effects of the Cube 30 but you won't need them anyway cuz they aint worth the money). I'd especially recommend this amp to beginners who like the heavier types of rock. To all other musicians I'd say: save up and go buy a Marshall Valvestate, it's worth the money. // 6

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar store

Features: The Roland 30-watt Cube amp is personaly, the most versatile and cheap one man amps I've heard since I started guitar. I've been playing for 5 years now and this thing shits on every other 30 watt I've played. Its got bucket loads of channels: A JC-clean channel for all the soft stuff, lead channels its got, acousic lead, black panel, brit combo, tweed, clasic stack, metal stack, and riffer. The built in effects are great, you've got chourus, flanger, phaser and tremelo, and on a seperate pannel, mint delay and reverb. You've also got your lead/clean volumes with a gain knob for the lead, and your standerd equalisation - bass, trebble and middle. All in all f--kin' shreds. // 10

Sound: The sounds are amazing, I have negibours so the earphone jack is a big ass help. Forgot to mention its got a foot pedal jack and a aux jack. But back to sound, on all of the lead channels it's f--king amazing, I usualy play all around with the volume on 5, gain on 15 and set to the metal channel, if I'm shredding, a bit of chourus to spred the sound, heavy stuff I use my delay, and with about 20 trebble and 14 odd middle, no bass is really needed. It's unreal. Beware, black panneel is really loud! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for 1 month and it hasent given me any problems what so ever, you could drop this thing off a fuckin bridge and it wouldent break. The loudest I've played her is at 15 and that could blow womens cloths off, but if ur planning on playing at a big-ish gig, run a mic through it and your laughin'. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is about a bees dick away from being the best in its range. If you wanna buy a 30watt Cube amp, you might just be startin up a little garage band, this is the thing for you. I got a bargin on the little one 400 down from nearly 600! Good stuff. I give my upmost reccomendation for this amp. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Zamboni, on september 25, 2005

Purchased from: Smart Music

Features: The Roland Cube 30 is a wonderful practice amp that is also useful for small gigs. It can be used as a micing amp, and has very good sound quality. I use it for many styles, including metal, blues, classic rock, jazz, and many others. It works for all of them. Features include two input channels, and auxiliary input jack, headphone jack, and great built-in effects. This solid-state amp has lasted me over three years, and has not once faultered. It is a versatile amplifier, and is a great choice for the practicing musician. // 9

Sound: I'm currently using it mainly with a Fender Strat set to the bridge pickup. It suits my musical tastes wonderfully, and can be used for just about anything. I use it mainly for metal, and it performs without fail. Even on my single coil guitars, the 60 cycle hum on this amp is very low. Hardly any noise can be heard from it. Clean does not get distorted very easily at high input levels, surprising for a small solid-state amplifier. When you switch over to distortion, it's got amazing punch and power. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp fully. I often use it as my only amp at small gigs, and not once have I been dissapointed. No breakdowns as of yet, and I don't even especially look after it well. It doesn't need anything but a light dusting every once and a while. I don't expect it to break down any time soon, it has served me well problem-free for years. // 10

Overall Impression: For my mainly metal influence, this amp serves me beautifully. For the three years I've had this amp, I've relied on it for my main practice amp, as well as a small gig amp. I would definitely buy another one if stolen or lost, it has been that good to me. My favorite features would have to be it's great distortion, coupled with awesome digital effects. The fact that delay and reverb are on separate channels from the chorus, flanger, phaser, and vibrato is a major selling point for me. It's an amazing amp, and it fits my needs perfectly. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: delongesmyhero, on january 30, 2006

Purchased from: muscians friend

Features: The Roland Cube 30 is very versatile with different types of music, with numerous amp settings and effects this amp is good for many styles. It only has 1 channel which is fine for being a 30watt, it also has a headphone jack. I really can't ask for much more in the amp it gets the job done for me personally. I use my amp in my band during practice, I use it as a practice amp though it will make a good gig amp to. It's a solid state amp and is very nice. // 9

Sound: I play with a humbucker and it gives my a good sound with the amp, it is really good for playing metal and classic rock. The amp is very noisy and gets the job done. Using the metal stack setting with the gain and volume up gives you a loud hard tone for metal/rock sound. The amp doesn't really get distorted at high volumes when on the clean setting. It has 7 amp settings and 5 effects giving it a great sound. The distortion is brutal to a certain extent, you can adjust the amp settings giving you a different sound for more brutal distortion to less powerful distortian. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Roland Cube amp is very dependable and I would probably use it with a gig with out back up aslong as the drums or something wasn't right by the amp, it's powerful to an extent. If you play a gig alone it would be great. My amp has never broken down. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk and it has a pretty good match, the amp is better for metal but with a pedal it's alot better. I have been playing for 5 years and I use a hotrod pedal with my amp its a good combination. I would buy it it it were lost or stolen. The best feture is its 7 amp settings. You can play many different styles with it. You can also use the flange or the phaser which sounds sweet. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: PunishedOne, on february 07, 2006

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I play only metal, so I don't know how the Cube will sound on other styles. I use my Cube for bedroom practice. 2 channels - 1 for clean, 1 for lead. There is a headphone jack, and an AUX in jack. 3 band EQ. // 8

Sound: I play only through the Metal Stack and R-Fier Stack. The Cube screams for metal. My guitar teacher (I take my Cube for lessons) has said that he notices a noise gate in the amp, so there must be one. I play this amp with a Jackson DKMGT with 2 EMG-HZs. Pinch harmonics squeal, literally. The distortion is very powerful on the R-Fier stack, and very crunchy, and sounds very modern, and I love that tone. On the Metal stack, you have the classic Metallica style '80s metal tone, with less distortion, but it's still high-gain. It sounds as if it has scooped mids, but that's probably from my EQ settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this amp, for I'm not in a band. It has never broken down, nor has the tone changed suddenly. I've owned this amp for about 5 months, and it's still holding up, unlike my previous Frontman 15G. So, I can't really say anything about it, so I'll put a 5 for neutrality. // 5

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal. The Cube is the SS amp for my price range. I've been playing for 10 1/2 months, and it'll be a year on March 20th. I own a Jackson DKMGT, a Squier Affinity Strat (2005, stock everything), both which have been played through my Cube. If this was stolen, I would probably save up a bit more and buy my Cube's bigger brother, the Cube 60. Not only because of more wattage, but because of 2 new features. It would also be good for gigging as well. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Bedroom*hero, on may 25, 2006

Features: This amp has two channels, clean and lead. standard EQ, bass mid and treble. The lead chanel has seven amp models; acoustic, black pearl, brit combo, tweed, classic stack, metal, and r-fier (rectifier). It's built in effects are chorus, phaser, flanger and tremolo. Their is also a knob for delay and reverb. It has a headphone/record out jack, an aux input, and a footswitch jack. The footswitch is to switch chanels (when it is pulled slightly out) and to turn efects on and off (push jack all the way in). props for veriety. // 6

Sound: I use this amp with guitars with H/H and S/S/S. Its r-fier is good for shredding but it sounds to modulated and drained of tone. I don't recomend ever buying this amp for the effects. There is only a more/less type of dial and it has 4 effects on one knob, it's easy to use and no nonsense but you can't get any different sounds. The delay is almost non-existant, the only time you can tell that it's on is if you have it as high as it will go. The reverb is no better. The acoustic set is just completely useless, just get an accoustic. Black pearl is a fairly cool clean and with the gain all the way up it goes overdriven. Brit, classic stack, and metal settings are mediocre. At least the clean stays clean. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would never gig this amp if my life depended on it. I just wouldn't disgrace myself or guitar that way. At least it hasn't broken yet. // 4

Overall Impression: This amp is only suited for shredders, glue the lead setting to r-fier and have fun. I've been playing three years and this amp doesnt impress me anymore. They should have atleast thrown in a footswitch. If it were stolen or lost I would thank them because now I have a reason to buy a new amo, modeling so probably a Vox Valvetronix. I at least wish the effects had a level knob and a second knob for tweaking the sound. // 3

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Maj_Tom, on august 28, 2006

Purchased from: Music Pro

Features: This amp is 30 solid state watts and was made in 2004, and is pretty versatile. I play blues, rock, and some harder rock, and it gets a good sound for all of them. You can get heavier tones out of it as well, but your favorite distortion pedal might help you out more than the built in models. There are two channels, clean and dirty, both run on the same EQ though. You can get chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, and reverb, along with overdrive and distortion through the dirty channel. It also has a head phone jack, but I have never used it. I never really use the built in effects, other than the reverb. The others are okay, just they don't suit my style very well. I can't say I wish it had any other features, it even has an acoustic simulator (which is a very quiet and not the best sounding). I use this amp to practice in my basement and with my band right now. It is plenty loud for practice, but when the drummer gets banging and the bass is booming, sometimes I can't cut as much as I'd like to. // 8

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio through this amp. Like I said before, it suits the styles I play. It can make a lot feedback at higher volumes with lots of distortion, but that is true to most amps. You can get basicly any sound you want out of it, but just don't expect it to sound like you have a rig built for that style of playing. The clean channel is actually pretty good when you fiddle with the EQ, and breaks up only a little bit at high volumes. I usually run it on bass: 10 o'clock, middle: 5 o'clock, treble: 12 o'clock and it sounds pretty good. You can get some pretty mean distortion out of it, but not as much as most metal fans would like though. To me, a blues guitarist mainly, that's a lot of distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged, and I don't think I would want to with this amp. When I run it at high volumes, no matter how much I mute the strings, a little bit of feedback really wants to squeeze through. This amp has never broken down on me, but it is a bit woren from playing it a bit too loud. It's really not an amp for gigging and I know that, I am in the market for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe soon I believe, and than I can gig. // 5

Overall Impression: This amp is a pretty good catch for it's price tag and can get you basicly any tone you'd like. I've been playing for two and a half years and only own a couple of pedals, but I have played around on plenty of amps at music stores and friends houses (ones better and worse than my Cube 30). If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't replace it. I'd just have to get more money quickly so I can buy the Fender amp I want. I have a soft spot for it, because it was my first amp, but I really dislike how it gets so touchy at high volumes. My favorite feature is the black panel amp model, you get a nice crunchy overdrive tone from that one. I chose this amp, because I was younger and new to guitar and I really liked all the crazy effects you could get, and didn't do much comparing to later on when I knew more. For $500 or so Canadian, it was a pretty good deal though. // 7

Cube 30 Reviewed by: ch715dallat, on september 05, 2006

Purchased from: GAK

Sound: I got this amp this morning and I've been playing it all day with my new guitar Ibanez RG321MH and I have to say this is an awesome amp. I wasn't expecting such a great amp, for the price. Really Cheap for it's Size and it just oozes quality. I plugged in and flicked through the different models, I was actually amazed how good they sounded, but only after a bit of knob adjustment on my guitar. Acoustic, sounded great contrary to wot others are sayin, and I may now just leave my acoustic behind if I'm tight for space, other models I have no real use for, but metal is my main genre and when you switch to the stack models such as rectifier this amp really comes alive. Pinch harmonics squeal, big crunchy rythm is easily achieved it's just a great amp. Clean stays suprisingly clean at high volumes, and distorted is just great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp looks tough I haven't really, had the misfortune to give it a test but I would feel confident it would survive more than just the odd knock, all the knobs seem high quality and wont be coming loose, and the jacks seem solid. there is also a big metal (I think) grill infront of the speaker which seems tough, and I wouldn't expect this beast to be breaking down in the foreseable future. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal, hard rock, RHCP and a bit of punk and this amp is perfect for me, I can even play my acoustic stuff without having to change guitar. I'm playing it with an Ibanez RG321MH and they seem made for each other. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that there is no footswitch that comes with it so I'm goin to have to buy one somewhere, but considering this amp was so cheap I have spare money for that anyway. If it were stolen I would either buy it again or save up for Cube 60 just to have the extra power for gigs and stuff although I think this could probably handle a small gig anyway. I compared it with a Vox Valvetronix (the only other amp in it's range fit to compete with it) but it lost out because of the strength the cube has in metal. I'd recommend this amp to anyone Who needs a relatively small amp for jamming or small gigs and plays a fair amount of metal/rock. // 10

Cube 30 Reviewed by: lithium26, on february 29, 2008

Purchased from: Singapore

Features: A 30 watt amp with a 10 inch speaker. It was made in 2003 or 2004, not very sure myself. It's pretty small and light. My 15 watt Laney LC15R is a lot heavier and it is larger. This amp features 8 COSM modelling amp types. One channel for JC Clean, and the other channel for Acoustic, Black panel, British combo, Tweed, Classic stack, Metal stack and Rectifier stack. The channels are can be switched with the button or via a separate footswitch. I used the Boss latching footswitch. It is very versatile, and it fits almost ANY style of music. This is my first amp and I use it less than before. This amp also has modulation effects, like chorus, flanger, phaser tremelo, delay and reverb, but I don't really like to use modulations, except reverb, and the occasional delay. The thing I don't like about the reverb/delay is that you can't use both at the same time, as the reverb and delay is on the same knob. Same with the chorus/flanger/phaser/tremelo. Google "Roland Cube-30" and you'd be able to see. Now I use it for my vocal amp in my band's practice space. For late night practice, there is always a phone jack, which I don't use much. However, the manual says that the COSM modelling sounds better with headphone jack. // 9

Sound: I used it with my Fender Strat, and my Fender Jaguar. I play quite a variety of music, primarily hard rock, with rock, alternative rock and heavy metal thrown in a well. I have to say it's the most versatile amp I've ever tried, since it's a modelling amp. It is not very noisy, though there is noise with my Jaguar. The rectifier stack mode has a built-in noise gate, if you like stuff like that. Since it's a modelling amp, the clean dosen't distort at loud volumes. The distortion can go up to very brutal rectifier sounds. Though the sound cannot beat my tube amp, it's a pretty decent amp for what it can do. It's versatility can be seen as it's stronest point. My favourite modes are the brit combo (Vox AC30) and the classic stack (Marshall JMP1987). I also like the tweed (Fender Bassman). The acosutic's pretty lousy to be honest. It dosen't sound like an acoustic guitar at all, but more of a noisy thin-sounding clean. The black panel (Fender Twin Reverb) is not too shabby. My ideal is to have the black panel as the clean, actually. That would make an awesome combination. The metal stack (Peavey 5150) is not too shabby. I can get my heavy metal sounds out of it. I don't really like the r-fier (Mesa/Boogie Rectifier) as it sounds too gainey and crappy tbh. The Cube may not create sounds like a tube amp, but it definitely has it's good points. I've compared it with other modelling amps, which include a Vox Valvetronix and a Line 6 Spider II. This amp is very comparable with the Valvetronix. Although the tones of the Valvetronix is slightly nicer sounding than the Cube-30, the Valvetronix is only for players who want to specialise their music (etc for players Who play only blues). For players who still are experimenting with genres, the Cube is your choice. It is a lot more versatile than the Valvetronix. I believe I don't have to talk about the Spider. The Cube is better sounding than the Spider in almost every way. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely rely on this amp. I've been using it for about 3 and a half years, and so far no problems at all. There's no need for servicing, as it has no tubes. It's pretty sturdy, as I've dropped it (accidentally of course) on a number of occassions. I would use it on a gig, but I already have my Laney! // 9

Overall Impression: This is my first amp, and I'm glad that it was. I don't have the same experience as other guitarists Who bought Marshall MGs or Spiders and regretted it later on. It is an awesome first amp. However, if it were lost, I don't think I would get it again. I'd save up for a Vox AC30, perhaps. My favourite part is the brit combo and classic stack modes. Though they aren't as good sounding as the real deal, it's a nice and affordable amp, for guitarists to emulate the sound of the real deal, and probrably in a couple years time, decide what type of amps would be suitable for them. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2008

Purchased from: Eddie Moore's Music Shop

Features: I don't have a clue when the Amp was made, The Amp is more than capable of The Music I Play, I listen and play along to The Jam, Early Who, Oasis, stuff like that, you know good music, So it is quite handy it has a setting called Brit Combo wich sounds just like paul wellers settings from the jam. There are a few features I never (and would never) use, which are Metal, and R-fier, something like that wich just sound terrible. // 10

Sound: I am currently using my Fender standard strat on it wich sounds brilliant, but I just orderd a Epi LP Custom, which will (I'm sure) sound great on it, as I said it suits my styles perfect, but If I was able to take away one effect it would have to be the Metal it sounds terrible. At times the feedback can be quite bad but if you have good enough cables and cable jacks there wouldn't be a problim. The distortion can be loud, but I don't use it that much only a little. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I were to do a Gig I wouldn't take back up, I can't remember it ever breaking down on me. I can defiantly depend on it, afte a week away without no use it didn't make no difference after a year away it wouldn't make no difference, I had a breif period whee I completely went off guitar and when I started playing again it was exactly the same. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the type of music I play as it sounds perfect for Mod revival music with it's Brit Combo effect wich I always use. If it were stolen I would have to be in two minds about replacing it purely becuase of it's Metal and other distortion effects which are just a waste of money, But I proably would because it is a great Amp and would sound good with any guitar. I think it's clear what I love and hate about this amp, love - Brit combo effect. // 9

Cube 30 Reviewed by: Timo9500, on november 23, 2010

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: To start out with, this has 2 channels, Jc Clean, and lead. It Has 4 effects, Tremolo, Phaser, Flanger, and Chorus, it also has Delay/reverb knob, and of course, 3 Treble, Mids, and Bass knobs. I am unaware of the year my amp was made in, but I think it was around mid-2007. I play everything from hardcore, to blues, to jazz, to praise and worship through this thing. Its extremely versatile, with its 7 amp models, and clean channel. It's also footswitchable. I have a Boss Fs-5u as my footswitch, and I can Switch channels, and turn effects on and off with it. I started gigging a bit more with my band, and obviously the 30 watts wasn't loud enough to fly at bigger venues. I purchased a Behringer GMX210 from a friend, and am using this amp as a pre amp, just because this things Features are so good. // 9

Sound: At the moment, I have 2 guitars I run this through. I have a Squier Affinity Series Telecaster, which has 2 stock single coils p'ups, and I have a custom made Semi-hollow tele, which has custom made pickups in it, guy in canada made them for a luthier I know, eh? Theyre single coils. I use both guitars for my church, my jazz band class, and my band, who play hardcore. This amp works great for all 3 of those. Theres just so many amazing different combinations. And the distortion can get pretty brutal, if you dial it in right. Also, the clean channel on this is amazing. Its normally at 7 or 8 at my church, and its not even the slightest bit distorted. Its a little noisy on the r-fier channel at max distortion, but my single coil p'ups are most likely the cause of that. But, of course, its very quiet, as its only 30 watts, which is why I'm giving this an 8, not a 9. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a freakin tank. Like I've been throwing this thing in and out of cars/vans for years. I bring it to class every school day. I bring it around to my church every sunday/thursday. And I've played 4 shows with it. Not to mention all the times I've dropped it. Never any problems, at all. This is a very reliable amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from jazz to hardcore, so this fits me. It does everything. I've been playing for 5 years, and own my 2 teles which I talked about earlier, and my Behringer gmx210. I use this as a preamp for it, just because this is a little to quiet. If this was stolen/lost, I would prolly save up my money for the cube-80x. Which is pretty much this, with a couple more features and 80 watts. The only thing that would make this amp better, is a built in tuner, and maybe 30 more watts. Aside from that, I love this thing. I'm giving this an 8 simply because it is too quiet for gigging. // 8

Cube 30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2011

Features: This is one of the best amps I have ever used. I mostly play rock and alternitive on it. I play with a copied strat made in china with standard pickups. The amp has a distortion setting, Two metal settings, Overdrive and Clean settings. Some amps I have used have too many settings and drags down the sound with it. This amp has plenty power though and the copied strat works well with it. // 8

Sound: The gain Switch on this amp is really good, but I suggest if your using it you should turn the volume down half way and turn the gain up three quarters of the way. The clean and metal settings are really good too With my electric guitar. I have never tried this amp with a Gibson but I'd say its good too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has never broke down on me before. If your playing a gig you should probably bring a spare amp but you probably wont need it but bring one just in case. You can depend on it because its really good and well made and sounds great. I would reccomend tis to everyone because its really reliable // 8

Overall Impression: Its really good for rock, metal and punk songs and I'm not really sure what the overdrive setting is for because it sounds just like the distortion setting. I have been playing for about six months and only own an amp electric guitar and a case. If I lost it or it was stolen I would definitely buy it again // 8

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014