Cube 60 Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 07/19/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Roland: Cube 60
Roland's Cube 60 takes the acclaimed Cube amplifier line to new levels and larger venues. It packs a punchy 60 watts of power into a compact 12-inch design, giving you the performance of a bigger amp, without the excess baggage.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 8.7
 9.1
 8.3
reviews (15) 85 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 60 Reviewed by: mnbaseball91, on april 05, 2005

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: The Cubes are all made in China. As far as I know, mine was made in 2004. It features 9 amp models, 6 built in digital effects, and all the output jacks you could ever ask for. It has two channels - one for the JC120 model and the other for the non-Roland amp models. It seems to me that it would have made more sense to put the clean models on one side and the overdriven ones on the other, but oh well. It has jacks for headphones, line out, extension speaker out, and a tuner. The effects, delay/reverb, and channels are all footswitchable via Boss single button non-latching footswitches. This is my amp for everything from bedroom practice to band practice to gigs. If it's every too bulky, I bring my Microcube. It's loud enough for playing with a band, although the cleans lack enough headrooom to overpower a loud drummer. The only feature it lacks is an effects loop, but you really won't need one because the built in effects are so good. // 10

Sound: My only electric guitar at this point is a Schecter 006 Deluxe, but I've played many guitars through this amp. Unlike other modeling amps, the Cube is very responsive to both the character of the individual guitar and your playing style. No one guitar sounds good with all the amp models, but all the amp models sound good with some type of guitar. There is absolutely no noise, even standing right next to the amp with the gain cranked. It is good for every style of music, although it's deffinatly best for heavier stuff. Good cleans though! The clean channel begins to break up around 4.5. Unlike other solid state amps though, the breakup isn't harsh or raspy until around 8. The distortion ranges from a light overdrive to thrash metal. Here is an overview of some of the amp models: Clean: this is your basic clean channel, based on a Roland Jazz Chorus. It sounds absolutely fantastic on the 60, much better than the smaller Cubes. Acoustic: it's pretty much a Boss acoustic simulator. Paired with the right guitar and EQ'ed correctly, it can be pretty convincing. Be prepared to turn down the bass though. Brit Combo: based on a Vox AC30. It's picky about the guitar, but using the right one it sounds pretty impressive. Good Beatles impression. Classic Stack: based on a Marshall, a JPM I think. It sounds better than most other amps that pretend to be Marshalls, certainly better than the Marshall MG amps, but you just can't get that sound without EL34 powertubes. Gain-wise, it's AC/DC territory. Metal Stack: based on a Peavey 5150 (now 6505). The distortion is thick, yet warm. Very good for anything from 80's metal to modern rock. You'll hear how warm it is and won't believe it's solid state. R-Fier: based on a Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifier. It sounds amaizingly less digital than any other modeling amp Mesa I've ever heard, which includes a Line 6 Spider, Line 6 Flextone, and Vox Valvetronix. It's very compressed and sustains forever. More gain here than you'll ever need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is an absolute tank. I can't figure out what the cabinet is made out of, but it's a hell of a lot tougher than what most amps use. The closed back design and metal grill ensure that nothing will ever touch that speaker. Rubber corners protect both the amp and what you put it on. I would most certainly use it on a gig without a backup. Hell, I'd take it on tour without a backup. I never even bothered sending in the warranty. It's that tough. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock, but I do occassionally play some blues and I always like a nice clean tone. This is a perfect match for my style. I've been playing guitar long enough to know good tone when I hear it. I also own a Roland Micro Cube. I simply don't need any other amps besides these two. I bought this amp without ever having played it before. I owned the microcube and loved it and was looking to replace my Crate GLX212. Guitar Center didn't have the 60, so I went ahead and bought it online. I'm glad I did. If it were lost or stolen, I'm sure I'd buy it again as there is no better amp for under $500. I compared it with various Crates, a Peavey Classic 50, Marshall MGs, a Fender Blues Jr (best cleans under $1000 btw), a Line 6 Spider II, and a Vox AD50VT. The Vox was the only one that even came close. I only wish Roland would make a head version of this with more effects, models, and flexibility (as well as wattage). // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: monstermash, on january 02, 2006

Features: This is a amp has a lot of effect from a acoustic setting to a heavy metal setting, and they all give an amazing sound, I never heard or seen such quality in a 60 watt amp before it amazing. My favourite setting has to be the classic british rock setting or the heavy metal setting I can't really choose. The Cube 60 has 2 channel a clean no effect channel or the effect channel that has many great effects. I mostly use this amp for recording, because it is to small to play gigs with, so really it dosn't have enough power. If Roland where to design mabye a 120 watt or more then I would definitely buy one, but for a 60 watt amp it's very loud and powerful. // 10

Sound: I use many differnt giutars on this amp mostly Gibson SG's and Les Pauls and a Fender Jag-Stang (best giutar in the world). No matter what giutar I play on it they will all sound the bollocks on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this amp at a gig because it is just to small, but if I where playing a small gig I would use this amp. The amp has never broken down but I have not had it long but I think it would last. // 10

Overall Impression: As a recording proudcer I use and play many different styles on this amp from pop to heavy metal and it seems to suit them all very well I own lots of gear and this is my favourite beacuse it is just a cool little amp I use Line 6's and Marshall's and somtimes the old worn out Vox I got comes out but the cube is now what I mostly use. If this amp got stolen or lost I would cry and cry and get another right away because I love everything about it I hate nothing at all about it, it is the greatist giutar amp in the world. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: Smills, on october 09, 2006

Features: The Roland Cube 60 comes equipped with 2 seperate channels, one simply being the JC-120 Clean model, and the other offering 8 more amp models. The usual tone controls (bass, middle, treble and presense) are present, alongside an EFX control and Delay/Reverb control. The JC-120 Clean channel has a "bright" setting for an even greater treble upper limit and of course a volume control, while the second channel has both gain and volume control. For a modern amp, the selection of models and fx is adequate, if not mind blowing. // 7

Sound: I am using a 50's reissue Stratocaster. The JC-120 Clean channel really shows off the classic unprocessed sound of the Fender, and doesn't break up even at full volume. Although the clean is smooth at full volume, electrical interference can be heard (if the Fender is close or if other electrical equipment is nearby). A great sounding channel that offers a smooth rich tone, and is excellent for pedal input (such as stomp boxes or modelling preamps). The first four models on the second channel (acoustic, black panel, brit combo and tweed) each give variable quality of tone, although mostly adequate. The acoustic model is probably the best of the four, and really does well toward making my Strat sound like an acoustic. However, take the Brit Combo for instance (apparently modelled on an AC-30), and things don't sound too great. The model is flat, too modern and too digital to recreate any '70s sound with any sort of authenticity. The same applies to the other 2 models, with the Tweed and Black Panel sounding far too straight forward. They contain non of the artifacts that make the original amps they are modelled on so sought after. The next three models are pretty much just overdrive or distortion amps (classic stack, metal and r-fier). When originally purchasing this amp (see reliability & durability), these 3 models sounded incredible. They had very sharp overdrive or distortion, with both power and tone intact. The three models were very distinguishable, with the Classic Stack offering a very dirty early '70s vibe, while the other two presented an '80s/'90s/'00s modern sound. By changing the gain setting, different amounts of distortion could be achieved, and so any kind of heavy rock song could be concieved by just these three models (to an extent). The last model; the Dyna Amp, is a rather interesting feature. It simply allows clean sounds when picking or strumming softly, and dirty R-fier type distortion when played harder. By setting the gain, you can change how easy it is to push the guitar to distortion. This effect is very Tube/Valve amp in terms of inspiration, as Tube/Valve amps are well known for their smoother access to overdrive/distortion while playing on an overdriven channel. The Dyna Amp is a great idea for people Who suddenly want to change their playing style from song to hard without pedals or switches. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It could very well just be me, but after 8 months of owning this amp, the 3 overdrive/distortion models have become very airy (classic stack, metal and r-fier), as if each time I play my guitar, a gust of wind is also being modelled beside it! This means chords I play using these models, are very indistinguishable and so don't sound full or sharp at all. When direct recording for instance (proving it isn't my speakers) the playback is so full of air I can't hear the minors or majors over the all the noise/air and distortion. If you want sharp and definite distortion, you will not find it here. Well at least I find that I don't anymore. Again, to prove this problem is not with the Cube speakers, I now use the POD XT Live, and find that with the JC-120 Clean channel on the Cube, and the POD XT's AC-30 model, I achieve tone with incredible clarity. The actual amp itself is very durable, tough and robust. It's got a nice feel to it that gives the impression that dropping it wouldn't do a thing. It's all encased nice and tightly, with screwed in straps at each cornder, and a grainy hard surface that feels like a garage work surface. // 5

Overall Impression: I play progressive rock, and the amp was suitable for my needs. However, even this Cube 60 is simply an intermediates amp; being that I'm an intermediate moving on to find something even better! It's loud, has a great clean channel and emits no real noise of it's own (again, only from interference), but apart from the apparent unreliability of the circuits for the modelling, the models themselves are not good representations of what they are based on. The amp is cheaper now then when I bought it, and for good reason. There are much better amps available for the price I bought it for, and ones that model/emulate better. I want an AC-30 emulation that sounds like the real thing, and includes all those artifacts that make it sound quite like something ancient(POD XT does just that). Good amp for beginners, now at a more reasonable price, but advanced players Who understand tone will want to stray from this, or at least only use it's clean channel for pedal effects. // 6

Cube 60 Reviewed by: Poglia, on june 13, 2008

Purchased from: an online shop

Features: This amp is awesome. It has several effects, but it's very easy to use. Just read the manual (well written), and you will get a good sound in a few minutes. It is very versatile, you can get ALL sound you can imagine. It has 2 channel: clean and lead. Clean channel is very good and you can use it for blues, jazz and ballads. Lead channel has several types of sound: you can go from an acoustic guitar simulation to a powerful metal distortion. You can Switch channel by footswitch or by pressing a button. There are some effect also: delay, reverb, flanger, chorus, phaser, and more! This is a complete amp, you don't need any pedal (except of Wah maybe) if you use it. // 9

Sound: I use a Jackson RR3 with humbucking pickups and I can get every type of sound: crystal clear, acoustic, 70s rock, brutal metal, the one I love more is the metal one. Simply awesome, both for solos and rhytms. I play mostly power metal and it's perfect for me. I think you can't get a low distortion (for slow rock, for example), but hey, I own this amp only since today, maybe I can tweak it a little bit more and get even this type of sound. The amp isn't noisy at all. You can turn on it, put gain at 10 and go near it and you won't hear any feedback or buzz. Seriously, you won't even know if it's turned on or off. It has 60W, but I have never turned it at maximum volume. Don't know if it's loud or not, but I believe yes. At home I turn the volume up to 2. // 9

Reliability & Durability: First of all, please note that I have recieved it today so I have not tested all feautures and I don't know if it's easy to broke or not. But for now it seems a tank. In my opinion, you won't broke it even if you want. So, I definitely depend from it and I will gig soon without backups. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and some hard rock, perfect! It's a perfect match since you can get several types of distortions (from 70s rock to brutal metal). It's 100 times better than my old Fender Frontman 15R with DigiTech Metal Master (I think I will sell this pedal, even if it was awesome, I don't need it now: Roland distortion is way way better). No buzzes, no feedback, very good sound, plenty of effects, 60W power, you can't get anything better for this price. I will buy another one for sure if it will get stolen or lost. // 9

Cube 60 Reviewed by: SamDking, on june 15, 2005

Sound: I am using the amp with my Squire Strat. I play mainly rock - punk, classic, modern, indie, etc. It is very quiet, except from when the gain is cranked and I'm standing right near, but that might have something to do with me using single coils. I'm sure with humbuckers it's very quiet. because of the large range of amp models it would suit pretty much anyones style as there really is a lot of variety. The amp models can be very much tweaked by the EQ, and when you get the right setting, it can really roar. The clean is based on the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus and although I haven't tried this amp, it's a really good clean, doesn't sound false and digitised like some SS amps. The bright switch doesn't add a lot to the sound, but it does make the sound a little "brighter." It actually says in the manual, that when the volume is raised, it is supposed to give a "crunch." I haven't been able to raise the volume yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what it sounds like. Black panel (Fender Twin Reverb) - I haven't used this a lot, but it does pretty good. With the gain down, you get a mellow clean sound, start to push the gain and it gives it more of a punch. Brit combo (Vox AC-30TB) - even with low gain, you can get a nice kick out of this one. Can be used by a rhythm or lead guitarist, as you can get a lot of range from the gain and EQ controls. Tweed (Tweed Fender Bassman 4x10 combo) - you can get a nice twang out of this on single coils very nice sound all round. Again, starts to give an 'overdrive' impression as you raise the gain, and this setting does actually get quite gain and it can get a bit mushy with the gain all the way up. Classic stack (Marshall JMP1987) - starts to get a bit heavy here, as we move into stack territory. This catches the Marshall rock sound well. Get the EQ'ing to your perfect setting and this can really roar. However, like the tweed, can get a bit mushy with the gain is up. Ideal for classic rock. Metal stack (Peavey EVH-5150) - very heavy, bassy sound, perfect for chugging on the palm mutes. You can get a heavey, strong sound with this. It's pretty much gain-city where you have the knob, and you can get a really good 'scooped mids' sound with the middle down. R-Fier (Mesa/Boogie Rectifier) - one of my favourite models. Great for heavier modern/punk rock, you really can get a fantastic distortion with this, miles better than other SS I've tried. Overall, very good quality amp settings. I haven't had much experience with the Dyna-Amp, but the time I did spend with it, it was a good feature, a little hard to use, but with proper practise, could work well. The effects sound pretty good, but there's nothing much to tweak with them. As far as I can tell, turning the effect up a knotch simply makes it faster, not kncreasing the intensity. However, I didn't buy the amp for effects, as pedals can do this nicely. // 10

Overall Impression: Works well for pretty much any type of music from mellowed out cleans to roaring distortion. I've only had this amp a few months but I'm glad I choose it over the Vox, although I hear it's a good amp for cleaner sounds. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again, although I would consider buying a tube amp. If you can't afford a tube amp and/or don't think you need one, the Cube 60 is the next best thing in my oppinion. My favourite features are the lead amp models, especailly the stacks. My least favourite feature is the inability to tweak the effects, however as I said before, seperate pedals can do the job fine. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: Bossman123, on july 05, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music shop

Features: Features are one thing this amp is not short on, it has; 8 amp models these are: Acoustic: this is an original Roland amp type to make your guitar sound acoustic. Black panel: this is modeled on the Fender Twin Reverb. Brit Combo:This is modeled on the Vox AC-30TB. Tweed: Modeled on the Fender Bassman 4x10 Combo. Classic Stack: Modeled on the Marshall JMP1987. Metal Stack: Modeled on the Peavey EVH-5150. R-Fier Stack: Modeled on the MESA/Boogie Rectifier. And Rolands unique Dyna Amp: With this amp, the harder u hit the strings the more distortion you will get. As well as thees there is a clean channel based on the Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus. There is also a shed load of FX. It has Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay and Reverb. In the way of EQ, it has the usual Bass, Middle and Treble, but along with this it has a presence knob. As usual with Roland there are no foot switches provided with the amp but they recommend the FS-5U footswitches, these can be used to change between the clead adn lead channels and can also be used to turn on off effects and reverb and delay. There is on input, a headphone jack, an external speaker jack which can power a speaker with an 8 ohm impendence and a minimum of 60watt output, there is a line out for connecting to a PA or mixer and a tuner out. Unfortunatly there is nowhere to connect a portable CD player or Mp3 player. With 60 watts, I find that it has plenty of power for gigging and does not have to be turned up too loud to get a nice sound so it is also suitable for bedroom use // 9

Sound: I play my American Fender Strat through a Boss ME50 into my Cube 60. The clean channel has a beautiful sound especially when used with a bit of chorus and some delay. The clean channel when used with the DS-1 setting on my ME50 gives me the perfect sound for playing Punk but does not sound particularly good when you want to play more high gain styles of music as the clean channel has no gain setting. The best way I found to solve this problem is to use the ME50 with the lead channel with the gain turned way down, this can give some really great sounds especially when used with the 'Classic Stack' model. With the gain turned down you can get a wide variety of clean s on the lead channel. I find that the clean channel starts to distort at around 7 or 8 which is not too bad as this gives you plenty of volume anyway. Moving on to the various amp types: Acoustic: this is not at all bad, when used with neck pickups it can sound quite like an acoustic guitar although I still wouldn't use it instead of my Acoustic. Black Panel: I havn't had much chance to use this setting properly, but from what I have used of it, it seems to be a nice sounding clean model which is great for use with my ME50 Brit Combo: very nice cleans when played at a low gain setting, has a beautiful light overdrive when the gain is turned well up, perfect for playing light Rock. Tweed: one of my favourite settings, gives a great crunchy overdrive with the gain turned up. It also gives nice cleans, rich in Bass. Classic Stack: nice warm sound with a huge variety when it comes to distortion. This is perfect for playing rock and classic rock. This is the only one of the stacks that give a clean sound with the gain turned down and is my favourite model for using with my ME50. Metal Stack: not one of my favuorites but still quite good for playing metal, has a nice high gain distirtion and plenty of sustain. R-Fier: my absolute favourite amp model. gives a beautiful distortion with the gain turned up to about half way although the distortion gets a bit mushy when you turn the gain up too far. This is the perfect setting for playing rock, classic rock, grunge etc. Dyna Amp: with this setting you can add more or less distortion to your playing just by how hard you hit the strings. It has a nice distortion but I find it to be more of a gimmick than a useful amp type. All in all, this amp can really cater for almost any style of playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really had this amp long enough to comment on its durabillity. But it's very solidly built and looks like it could withstand a lot of abuse! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly punk, rock and classic rock, this amp especially when used with the ME50 is perfect for any of these styles. It is very portable and not too heavy. Overall, I think it is the perfect amp for me! // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: feelgoodfactor, on september 28, 2007

Purchased from: local guitarshop

Features: The Roland Cube 60, I think it was made in 2004 but I could be wrong. It is a 60 watt solid state amp with a line out so you can connect it to an external speaker, wich is always a good thing. The amp has delay, reverb and four other build in cosm (composite object sound modeling) effects: chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo which can all be changed via a footswitch, as can the channel. // 9

Sound: well the amp has two channels a jc clean channel, which gets you a nice clean sound(that mixed in with a bit of delay and chorus gives you a nice stairway to heaven style sound). Now the lead channel has eight diffrent little like sub channels. Acoustic, which is pretty self explaterory but is my least favourite amp setting as the bass makes the speaker rattle at low volumes. Black panel, this amp setting is based around the Fender Twin Reverb amplifier and has some nice low tones and sweet high tones as well. Brit combo, the sound you get from this amp setting is like a Vox ac-30, and gives you what can be described as a truly british sound and is nice with out much distortion but crank up the gain and " bobs your uncle". Tweed, I really like this setting it gives me a bluesy sound when I have the gain at about 3/4's and is a real favourite when ever I'm covering anything from a bitta hendrix to some classic AC/DC. Classic stack, this is like a Marshall jmp style and is perfect for heavy rock light rock rock blues anything really that is in the rock genre. Metal stack, as the name might suggest this is for the metal heads out there it's got sort of like a Peavey evh sound and gives a very nice high gain distorted sound that I find good for pinch harmonics which on my old amp I could never seem to get the sound out of. And I like the fact that even at low volumes you can still retain most of the tone you have when you crank the amp up. R-fier stack, this is simalier to the metal stack but less metal and more grunge hard rock. it is based I think on a mesa/boogie rectifier and is good for all sort of lead guitar playing. Dyna amp, I myself don't realy use this setting very much but it is still a nice feature. It doesnt't realy have a set sound, because when you play hard you get a distorted growl of a sound but when you play ever so gently you get a cleaner sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp very long but in the time I've had it I can feel that this is an amp built to last, it has the speaker built in surounded by wood so no real worry of knocking your speaker around from the back and has a nice looking metal grill at the front which I realy like as most amps have a turdy bit of mesh. It's has plastic covering all the edges. I am very confedent that this amp will not let me down and am gigging it in a few months as it is easily loun enought for small to medium venues and with the speaker out at the back you can plug it into a speaker cabnit if you wanna play galstenbury aswell so no worries. The only thing that is a bit poor quility is the jack inputs which are all plasticy but still feel fairly strong. // 9

Overall Impression: Well I mainly play rock and blues and this amp is perfect for that, but then again I'm confedent that if in a years time I change my style and want to play funk and reggae that it will be fine at getting greats sounds for that aswell. I've been playing electric guitar for a couple of years now and this is the first descent amp iv had and I don't see myself replacing this one for a long time. If this amp was stolen I would most probably buy one again as it's better than the other amps I tried out in it's price range like the: Marshall MG50 and 100 and the Line 6 Spider 75 watt, I even prefered it to the Marshall AVT50 as they all were more expensive and in my opinion didn't sound as nice and with the exeption of the Line 6 were nowhere near as versitile. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: bigtimmy, on february 27, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The reason I got this particular Cube was so that I would have a versatile compact unit capable of being heard over drums (it's a solid state combo). The mere fact that the Cube 60 is small for it's power output is ideal for travel and storage. It has built in effects (reverb, delay, chrous, flange, etc) which are footswitchable. The jc clean channel is crisp and brilliant, and can be tweaked with a brightening switch which delivers even more high end presence. The 60 has a few settings the 30 doesn't have such as a presence knob for the equalizer and a lead setting known as 'Dyna amp' which is used to deliver both clean and crunch depending on the playing style of the user, but I never use it I think it's useless toy. The amp also can be plugged into with headphones, recording out, external speakers and footswitch. // 10

Sound: I use a ESP LTD F-2005 with EMG 81/85 pickups. I play metal mainly but lately I've been playing more rock. For high gain metal tone, I scoop the equalizer (crank bass and treble, no mids) with full gain and it sounds great. Delivery of plenty low and high end tone without sounding too muddy, and this is on the r-fier setting (based off the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier). For a cleaner (but still quite crunchy) hard rock sound I've turned the gain down to 5/6 and balanced the middle tones for a warmer feel. I now can hear the highlights in chords I play and lead licks now stick out with a crisper feel. The sound is tighter and clear. The jc clean has yet to dissapoint me as it it stays brilliantly clear even past 3/4 way volume which is bloody loud let me tell you! With a slight chorus and reverb this sound lovely, and for a warmer acoustic feel, one of the lead channels is based of the Boss acoustic simulator and sound wonderful even with my EMG's! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Now this is where it gets funny. I'm actually on my second Cube 60, the first one I had shat itself when I played it at 1/2 volume. When I got the one I had now well basically I've played it at higher volumes with a harsher tone for longer periods of time and I've had it for 2 years now, still going strong. So my first one must've been a dud because the one I have now is gig worthy with no backup. When I get my Laney stack my Roland will be my backup. Because of it's robust design the cube can be thrown around and all I would worry about would be the poor object that got in its way. So I take a point off for the first bad experience I had but that's the only time I've ever heard of the cube dying on someone. // 9

Overall Impression: If this amp died on me I would be shattered and definetely get a new one. I do want a 100W stack, but only because nothing compares to the sheer power and tone of the valve head, this is the way it is. The Cube 60 is my ultimate practise amp and it's capable of delivering a quality tone that can be heard at gigs. I think the one thing I love about it most of all is it's versatility, it can do everything you would want an amp to do. Worth every penny and the 3 months I waited for a replacement. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: seemeel, on april 05, 2010

Price paid: A$ 600

Features: This 60W solid state amp has 9 modeled amps and 6 on-board effects. It has a single 12" speaker. I bought it for $600 about 3 years ago. At that stage it was the best amp for the money. I might have bought a Vox AD50VT if they were around back then, as they are the same price roughly as the Cube 60's successor, the 80X. It was a good value option for me and I've not been disappointed. This amp has several inputs/outputs on the back - external speaker out, line out, tuner out, and 3 footswitch jacks for controlling effects. The tuner out is useful as you can tune without disconnecting any cables. The footswitches would be useful to those who don't have their own pedals or multi-FX units. But the footswitches are expensive and the effects that they control aren't that great, so I've never bothered with them. // 7

Sound: I use a Strat Standard, nothing too special, as my main guitar. I mainly stick to rock songs, in the style of Led Zep and the Who. This amp is now my rehearsal amp. I mainly use it as a loudspeaker as I have a collection of pedals now. I don't bother much with the on-board effects and amp models. The different amp models are okay, but not spectacular. When I got this amp, I had never had any effects before and I thought it was wicked. Now I know a bit more about this sort of thing, I have found the models aren't that accurate and the effects aren't really that great. The Chorus effect is the exception, as you might expect from Roland - I used it rather than a Chorus pedal that I bought. The effects in general are of a reasonable quality. The amp models are not too bad I guess. The R-FIER model is an alright representation of the M/B Solo Head, and I actually compared them once to check. Obviously you don't get the performance of an amp 10x the price but at low volumes it wasn't too bad. At higher volumes the harsh transistor amp sound started to become very noticeable while the M/B stayed smooth and controlled. This amp does go loud (though quality does suffer a bit when it's turned up). I've played live with it before in a small hall and it was fine without any extra mics. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank - extremely solid and durable. I've dropped it a few times and there's barely any cosmetic damage, let alone internal damage. Even the knobs are very solid. Absolutely reliable. I've never ever had a problem with it not working perfectly. You won't break this in a hurry. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this initially as an upgrade to my first amp. I now have a TSL100 stack so this is my rehearsal/backup amp. Given that it's not my main amp, if I lost it I would probably replace it with a 30-40 W valve amp like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (now I have a fair bit more cash than I did when I bought the Cube). I really like this amp, it's great for what I use it for, and it goes loud. I would definitely recommend this amp to someone looking to start playing live, as it is loud and unbreakable. However, if you're serious you'll quickly outgrow it, as it just doesn't cut it at gigs of more than about 100 people. Then you've got a nice rehearsal amp, exactly like me, loud enough to get over the drums easily. This amp makes no claims to be the next big thing, and it's not. But what it is is a solid, incredibly reliable, loud amp that's perfect for a beginner that's looking to get more serious with guitar. It's also quite inexpensive. I give it a 7 overall. // 7

Cube 60 Reviewed by: Nirvana-Man, on december 01, 2006

Purchased from: Legends Guitars

Features: My model was made in 2004, this amp can play any style of music because it has many settings such as brit combo, acoustic, classic stack, metal (my personal favorite), and R-fier just to name a few. It's got a built in phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, tremelo, and delay, all of which can be turned up or down to be less or more extreme. It also has every jack ever, headphones, tuner, you name it it's got it. // 9

Sound: I am using a Fender Stratocaster with 2 single coil and 1 humbucker, and I mostly play grunge. It can get pretty noisy on the single coils on the distortion setting, but the humbucker sounds great! The clean setting works good too, virtually no extra noise there. You can really crank this baby up on clean and get no distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a tank, it's got rubber protecters on the side and a grill so the speaker is never touched, no matter what! It isn't to heavy either, so you don't have to break your back carrying it. I have had this thing for a year and it has never broken down once, also I've never had to get any work done on it ever! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp, it's so versatile you'll never need another one, like ten amps built into one! If this thing broke, wait, it wouldn't so I wouldn't need to buy another one! You can also impress all of your friends with all of the cool effects! The only thing it's missing is an effects looper, but you don't miss it that much after owning this thing for a day! // 9

Cube 60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: I got my amp about a year ago and it is definately a very versatile amp. The JC Clean, BlackPanel and acoustic give you different types of cleans, tweed and brit combo give the crunch tone and the rest are distortion. I'm into metal and heavy rock and the rectifier channel goes really well for it. The rectifier channel gives a good slightly fuzz distortion which suits thrash, punk, anyting. I don't mind a bit of classic rock and I like the black pannel wit gain turnd up for my crunch tone. JC clean is real nice with a bit of chorus. 2 channels, clean and dist and many other models within dist but you can't change too quickly between the dist mods. It's pretty much got all the features I'd want in an amp. Maybe that power squeezer thing in the new cube range wud b kool. Chorus flanger and reverb are kool. I dun use many of the other effects because of my style of music. I use it as a prac amp and it's loud enuff for nething I do. Rarely turn it past 10 o'clock. I'm looking at a smaller cube because I really dun turn it up very much and 60w is prolly too much for me. It goes to waste. One complaint is that it's a 12 inch speaker and it often gives a really bassy responce. it's good for getting a nice thick lead sound but when it comes to JC and acoustic channels, it feels a bit too boomy. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Squier Strat with SCN pickups put in them. They are the ones in american deluxe strats and they are quick twangy and trebly. Really snappy opposed to smooth. They aren't really the Vintage sound either, more modern. On the rectifier channel, you can get some really smooth thick distortion or more trebly punk kinda sound. Either way, that channel rocks. plenty of sustain, really smooth tube like fuzz distortion. Awesome stuff. The metal and classic stack sound quite fake to me. I don't like those channels. The tweed and brit combo aren't that great either. I don't really use the acoustic channel but the black pannel is awesome for classic clean wit a bit of cruch. JC Clean works really well for sparkling clean guitar tones. At times it feels a bit percussive and bassy but that's imo. there's barely any noise and tho I use to get noise wit my old pickups on other amps, it's barely noticable on the Cube. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I really think it's exactly a gig amp. Sumwhere between taht and a prac amp. Good for jamming wit mates I guess tho it's a bit heavy to transport. Heavy and bulk. To me, the amp is solid. The material around it is tough. You cud drop it and get a scratch but nothing wud get wreckd. The grill thingo is plastic which is stronger than cloth so there's not too much of a problem breaking it. it's neva broken down tho I haven't pushd it very hard at all. It's reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, the amp serves to do everything I need. It's a very good sound but it's not really a trademark sound like a Fender or a Marshall or a Mesa. But still very good. Lots of channels go to waste for me but the channels which I do use are worth it. I've played a Boss DS-2 through it and it's awesome. Best thing is that you can go through amp mods like preamps giving you a lot of different sounds. If it were lost or stolen, I'd get a smaller version. Cube 30X for the power squeezer, smaller speaker (less bassy), smaller size (easier to carry and transport) etc. I just really love that rectifier channel. Does everything I guess the amp dusnt really have a crisp, crunchy distortion like that of a ds-1 but $80 dollars wud solve that. Great amp but I'd prefer the Cube 30. // 8

Cube 60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2007

Purchased from: eBAY

Features: I'm 11, and I've been playing for 5 years. I'm in a hardcore metal band, and this amp works like a dream. It has a great As I Lay Dying/Underoath's Cries of the Past tone. It can easily play over my drummer, and even with full gain and distortion there's no noise. It has a lead channel and a clean. The lead has 8 amp models. // 9

Sound: I use a crappy Squire Strat, and it makes my strat sound like a freakin Dinky. This is like the perfect amp for metal, or even blues. I can use it for recording, and it's awesome. There is no sound, and if your not playing, you wouldn't know it's even plugged in. The clean channel doesnt't get even a little distorted until like 7. This is the freakin perfect amp for metal. The distortion is the most demonic and brutal sound you could ask for. I would rate it 20 if I could. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would for sure use it at a gig without backup. This is the most sturdy amp I have used (in this price range). Since I've only had it for a few months, nothing has gone wrong about it, but I don't think anything will. I can surley depend on this amp for anything. // 10

Overall Impression: The only other thing I could ask for is a bigger treble output. This blows my Fender Frontman out of the water. I really love the R-Fier setting. I almost bought a Peavey over this, but I really made the right choice. I love thye raw distortion. it's perfect for freakin metal. If this were lost, I would sureley buy it again if I had the money. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: gagadude, on january 26, 2008

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

Features: This amp is probably the best modeling amp I've heard, it is also quite versitile but I think it is more aimed toward the heavy-er side of music. I has one EQ for all channels not the greatest. The knobs are reaccessed into the top so they can't get knocked off/broken easily. The corners of the amplifier are covered with a tough plastic. The speaker is protected by a metal grill a great feature which makes this amp one of the toughest. Also with the Cube 60 you can switch channels/effects etc. with a Boss pedal. // 9

Sound: I'm using Epiphone Les Paul Custom with stock hybrid Epiphone pickups and it sounds real good. My style is metalcore but some times I play bluesier stuff. It really suits the metal part of my style but I can never get the EQ quite right for my bluesier style. There's absolutely no crackling even when your lot muting the strings (depend if your plugged in with something else but it is really quiet. This amp also can be really loud (in the good way) it would makes a great gig amp. a ton of variety here, it can impersonate Peavey's mesa's Marshll's and Vox's. The only thing that isn't great is the delay flanger phaser and tremolo. Only effects on this amp that sound good are the chorus and the reverb but the others are fun to mess with though! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd gig with this amp with no backup it's pretty solid, I would be surprised if it broke down. This amp hasn't broken down because I just got it! but from what I hear it barely brakes down and if it does, it's probably time to upgrade anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is definately a good match for metal! I've been playing for 2 years on and off and the only other two amps I've owned are a Marshall AVT 20 and a Fender Frontman 15G(this amp tops both). If this amp were stolen I'd buy it again! If I had the money that is.my favorite feature on this amp is the R-fier setting which impersonates the mesa rectifier. I compared this amp to the Line 6 spider and the Marshall AVT 20, this amp had a much better tone and way more features. I wish this amp had 4 EQs. // 10

Cube 60 Reviewed by: Anarki_777, on june 24, 2008

Features: It has 10 different channels most notably, clean, heavily distorted, acoustic, etc. It also has a few nice effects such as flanger, chorus, reverb and delay. I personally use my Roland at home to practice with. I find that it has more than enough power to annoy my neighbours. // 10

Sound: The best feature on this amp is the clean and acoustic channel which sounds very realistic, especially combined with the amps in built reverb effect. The distorted channels are good, but perhaps sound slightly digital/artificial. I mostly use my Jackson Randy Rhoads when playing with this amp, but the sound seems to be pretty much the same regardless of what guitar I use. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had the Roland Cube 60 for about 2 years now and the only thing that has ever broke is the input (the small piece of plastic that's glued to hold the jack to jack became loose), but this has easily been repaired. It should be noted though, that I have rarely taken the amp outside of my house, and neither do I often move or knock it about in a way that would test its reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: I'd recommend this Amp highly for home use, it's reliable, it has many different channels and effects to suit the needs of a variety of musicians, and overall it has a good sound. Definately not an amp to gig with though. At higher volumes the amp can become too distorted. Another point to note is that using effects pedals that are now created by Roland, doesn't sound so good on this amp. I tried my effects pedals on much cheaper amps and the sound quality was far superior. // 8

Cube 60 Reviewed by: vlad8996, on july 19, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Guitar teacher

Features: The Roland Cube 60 has 9 channels and 6 effects making at very versatile amp for play nearly any genre, it's a powerful amp with 60 watts especially for practicing and it could be used live on the back it has 3 jacks for foot switches (channel select, EFX and reverb delay) it also has a jack for a extra speaker (MAX 60 watts) which makes it a great amp. // 9

Sound: This amp has an amazing clean channel the JCC clean (one of the best I've ever heard and could be compared to much higher priced amps) on the clean channel their is also a bright button which makes the sound even brighter if necessary, for more heavy and distortion sounds it has 8 channels (acoustic (not heavy), black panel, brit combo, tweed, classic, metal, r-fier and dyna amp) some of these don't sound that great bt for the really heavy stuff its pretty decent. The clean definitively deserves a 10 though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a very dependable amp and I've never had problems with it yet, it's very solid and looks like its going to last quite a bit more without me having to buy a new one. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a amazing amp and I definitively recommend it to anyone, I play all sorts of music from classical to melodeth and I'm very happy with the amp, the sound is amazing and the quality too, the only down side I can see is that it doesnt't have the best metal tone ever (although its very decent) so just would need to get a pedal and have the perfect sound, I will use this amp in the future and for quiet a while I guess. // 9

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014