Cube 80X Review

8.7
review (1) pictures (2) 47 comments vote for this gear:
Cube 80X Reviewed by: Ezz_zombie, on april 24, 2009

Purchased from: Roland Egypt

Features: This the the 2008 Roland Cube 80x Combo Guitar Amplifier, the successor of the Cube 60 amp. This amp is Extremely versatile as it has 10 Built-in COSM amp models, ranging from JC clean sound to British Combo, to Marshal Classic Stack, to the Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier model. You can play Jazz, Blues, Country, Classic, Rock, Traditional metal, Extreme Metal, basically anything you could play. It has two types of Channel switching, one using the standard Switch button, and one using the "solo" function which is a memory function in which you can save all your effects presents including amp model and recall by pressing the "solo" button. This Amp doesn't lack any feature that I know of, infact, it offers more than what most guitarists would need, it has four built in effects; Chorus, flanger, phaser, and tremolo. It has Two types of delay and two types of reverb including spring reverb. It features a Very handy Tool which is the Looper, you can record up to 40 seconds and then the looper plays back the recorded input and you can even add as much layers over that loop till infinity. This is an incredibly LOUD amp, I've played it with volume at half it's maximum and it was louder than my friend's Randall 100w tube amp at half it's max. Volume. This is a Great modeling amp, it simulates tube amps flawlessly and the built in effects would spare you from ever using pedals again, I only use a ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby wah pedal with it. You can use up to 6 footswitches on this amp to control every feature using footswitches, you can connect your iPod, Zune, or any mp3/CD player in the line-in input, you can use the amp as a head and connect it to a speaker, a 4x12" cabinet maybe. You have a recording output, headphones output, and mixer output. // 10

Sound: I use this amp with my ESP LTD AX-400FM guitar with two active EMG 81 humbucker pickups, I play mostly Death Metal and thrash, and sometimes I play some clean melodies, and this amp does the job! The amp has 10 COSM amp models (same technology used in Boss Multi-effects processors such as the GT-8 and the GT-10) which I will list briefly: 1) JC Clean: Based on the Roland Jazz Chorus "JC 120" amp, and this is the clean channel, it has a "bright" button which produces richer mids and highs. 2) Acoustic Sim: an Acoustic simulator model 3) Black Panel: Based on the classic "Fender Twin Reverb" amplifier, suitable for country, blues, jazz, and Rock 4) DLX combo: Based on the classic "Fender Deluxe Reverb" amplifier, this has higher overdrive than the Black Panel, and suitable for same genres 5) BRIT combo: Based on the "Vox AC-30TB" amp, for that classic British Rock sound 6) Tweed: Based on the Vintage "Fender Tweed Bassman 4x10" Combo, suitable for blues and rock 7) Classic Stack: Based on the "Marshall JMP 1987" stack, and it's truely Perfect for the top rock sound of the 80's. 8) Metal Stack: Based on the "Peavy EVH 5150", with high gain and heavy distortion and sustain, great for Metal 9) R-Fier stack: my personal favorite, based on the "Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier" with super high gain, this it the ultimate model for metal, extreme metal, and that brutal crushing and screaming sound! 10) Dyna amp: an amp type that changes tone according to picking dynamics, if you pick softly it'll sound clean and if you apply more force it'll sound distorted (you can use your volume knob with your pinky too to perfect the use of this amp model) so, this amp is basically perfact for any musical style you could possibly think of, it can have a very nice and clear clean tone, or a crushing brutal distortion based on your needs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can reply on this amp, and I use it in gigs without backup, as my whole effects and sounds come from that amp, I simply will not sound the same without it, and this amp is built like a tank! It's a very powerful, and loud amp, yet portable. The amp works fine till now, haven't had any problems with it so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Death and Trash Metal and the R-fier model suit's my needs and if I ever think about switching my musical style I'd still use the same amplifier as it's extremely versatile. I've Been playing for 4 years now, I own an ESP LTD AX-400FM Guitar, a ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah and this is basically my whole setup along with the amp. The amp is perfect, I can't think of any additional feature it could hold, infact, I don't even use half of it's features now, this is an irreplaceable amp, I'd definitely get another one if mine broke. I love that amplifier's sound and features, and I can't think of anything I hate about it. I want to give it a 9/10 in any of the review sections but I just can't find a single flaw to that amazing amp. I compared it to a lot of other combo amps but the COSM amp models in this Cube are just as realistic as actual tube amps, and no solid state or modeling amp would sound half as good as this amp. // 10

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014