Silvertone Smart III Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 08/11/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Samick: Silvertone Smart III
It is a good match for beginner metal and hard rock enthusiasts because of the insanely heavy distortion.
 3.2
 6.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Silvertone Smart III Reviewed by: bigkid607, on august 11, 2009

Price paid: A$ 70

Purchased from: Music Mart

Features: I've had this amp for 3-4 years now and it is proven itself worthy every time i've switched it on. Feature wise it's a bit barren with only a master level knob, distortion knob, treble and bass knob, but for a $50-$70 amp it;s surprisingly decent but not certainly gig ready. It has been used in the house for bedroom practice really. Never been turned all the way up alot and thank god because the buzz is deafening. The clean channel is just crap really, but the overdrive can really Shine when used in heavy tunes (Bullet For My Valentine, A7X, Atreyu, etc.) // 4

Sound: For years I used a Samick guitar with this but have recently upgraded to a Epiphone Les Paul Studio. It is surprisingly loud but as the volume goes up, so does the harshness. The sound quality depends what kind of music you like but the clean channel on it (maybe it's mines age) sounds like crap with buzzing and interference galore. On the overdrive channel you get 2 choices, Almost no distortion or LOTS of hyper-heavy, bad-ass distortion. I usually play with bose QC2 headphones as they are noise-cancelling and are neighbour friendly for home-practicing. Like I said above for heavy tunes the distortion is actually quite decent for heavy metal & rock. The clean channel is just extremely buzzy and fuzzy and does not do it for me at all, to me it sounds like crap therefore I have left the distortion button permanently on for the last 3 years. One other thing that dissapointed me was the lack of gain, making harmonics difficult unless the pickup selector was set to 'treble'. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I can almost certainly say yes that it has never let me down, never broken, never had to be sent into a shop for repair and has survived knocks that you would cringe at. It isn't a gig-ready amp, lets face it, the sound isn't very good up loud and it isn't exactly the loudest of amps anyway. Best for bedroom practice I reckon. This would be a desperate, last-chance gig backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good match for beginner metal and hard rock enthusiasts because of the insanely heavy distortion, but as I said, the clean channel really does let it down and if you like clean, crisp, toneful music, look elsewhere. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I own a wah-wah and digital delay pedal. Both are OK with the amp but would perform better with a better one. I got this with a starter kit so it was just an amp to me, didn't thnk about it to much. If this were stolen I would replace it with a Marshall or Vox, but maybe buy one because it is light and small and would be easy to take to lessons. What I love about it is the distortion, it's gritty, it's noisy, it's in your face. I also love it because it was my first amp and my introduction into the world of electric guitar. I love it. I hate the clean channel for it's fuzzines and buzziness and being generally hum-drum and dull. My favourite feature is the headphone jack which allows for private practice and is a real nice, logical touch. I didn't really compare it with other products as this is a beginners amp and you can only go up from here. I of course wish it had better sound, I could go on and on about what features I wish were on it but I'll save you by boring you to death (unless I already have). Generally good for metal lovers, not so good for classical and blues folk. // 6

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ JTR Linda LN30 9 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014