SM-60RC Review

8.5
 5.9
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SM-60RC Reviewed by: demez, on january 30, 2006

Features: I'm not sure when this amp was made but it may have been 1993 made in Korea. 2 channel 60 watt amp. It comes with a good footswitchable reverb, chorus and overdrive although the overdrive is a bit thick and bassy. Bass, treble, middle controls. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a Epiphone G-400 (SG copy) and it suits it pretty good with the two humbuckers. I play blues-rock, classic rock and with a overdrive/distortion pedal you can get a really good tone out of it. Once the volume is at the max the amp gets a bit noisy with the overdrive on but on the clean channel it performs pretty good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp hasn't broken on me yet and I've had it for 6 months I haven't even broke a fuse. I haven't gigged with it but I would if giving the chance, it's great for jamming. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues-rock/classic rock and it suits fairly well. I have been playing for about 3 years I use this with an Epiphone G-400 and Boss Dual-Overdrive Pedal. I would like to see someone try and steal it but if I could get it again for $200 I would, even $400. I don't know how much $200 is in America or Europe but in Australia it's not much for 60 watts. Best buy I've made! // 9

SM-60RC Reviewed by: sammo_boi, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Trading Post

Features: I got this as my second amplifier last year and it is a 60 watt solid state and was made in about 1990. It has one channel with overdrive and master volume plus 3-band EQ and reverb and chorus controls. I think it was supposed to have footswitches for chorus and reverb but I got it second hand. I don't use the reverb but the chorus is pretty good and I use that. The chorus has depth and rate controls. I wish it had good distortion because it only has overdrive and that's crap and barely works. That's why I got a DigiTech RP50. It is loud enough for just playing but not for a gig. // 7

Sound: I use a Yamaha Pacifica with two single coils and a humbucker. I play rock, alternative, punk etc. and it suits them well but I wish it had good distortion. It barely makes unwanted noise but it doesn't have a gain knob. The chorus I think is quite good and has good range and a real warm sound. The distortion is not brutal so you need a distorion pedal. It works well with my Rp50 and doesn't make too much unwanted noise at high gain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's not going to break any time soon because I hardly ever put it up as loud as it can go. I wouldn't use it at a gig because it isn't loud enough or good enough. But if I did I would trust it without a backup. It has never broken down as far as I know and it probably won't before I sell it. // 9

Overall Impression: This suits my style of music well and I recommend it to people Who want to upgrade to something louder. I've been playing for almost a year now and I started off with an Ashton starter pack. I hate the lack of distortion. My favourite feature is that it's 60 watt. I chose it because it was cheap and loud enough and if it was stolen I would buy a stack or something with distortion. // 8

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ Avion AV3 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/02/2013