Polycarbonate Review

manufacturer: Smokey Amps date: 11/30/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Smokey Amps: Polycarbonate
This amp, as it's small, is as simple as can be. No knobs, no reverb, no clean channel and even no wires. It has a tiny speaker 100% controlled by the guitar pickups and knobs. It's a great Jam little box so it suits me like a glove.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Polycarbonate Reviewed by: Smart Patrol, on november 30, 2012

Purchased from: Friend brought me from USA

Features: This amp, as it's small, is as simple as can be. No knobs, no reverb, no clean channel and even no wires. It has a tiny speaker 100% controlled by the guitar pickups and knobs. Controlling the volume and and gain couldn't be more straightforward. Another good thing is using it with phones, as long as it has its own volume knobs. More experienced players can step on it and pretend it's a wah wah. The feature I like most is its portability. I can take mine everywhere to Jam among acoustic guitar players. Very good instrument to show off. // 10

Sound: Smokey has been designed to act as a classic overdrive, a musical trip to the late 60s and the 70's. To play Metal? Forget it, unless if you are playing early Sabbath or Purple. For me it's no big deal. I'm not a Metal player, I'm an older guy and prefer classic and pop rock. It's a great Jam little box so it suits me like a glove. The Drive sounds beautiful in my strat's single coils, so I can deliver very nice solos. I guess humbuckers could give this little guy a boost. Tiny, but sounds great. Enough said. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Mine is not made on a cigarette package. It's made of Polycarbonate plastic, and it seems to be sturdy. I have played for lots of hours, and the battery still lives. The speaker seems to be a little unprotected, but normal use will keep it away from trouble. I think I can fully count on it. The only flaw is you have to unscrew the whole thing to change the battery. Maybe it's because it has been made to be the simplest possible. Other than that, better only if it were made of metal instead of plastic. Great job, Mr. Zinky. // 9

Overall Impression: I began playing since 1987, but I tell you I'm not a brilliant player in despite of it. I learned with time how to see something ingenious when I stumble on it. This little piece of audio parts is a great idea that solves a problem on portability and gives some pepper to practice and Jam sessions. The only things I would like it to have would be an easier way to change the batteries and a PSU jack, for everlasting playing. I'm telling you I don't hate anything on it. I love everything, including my model's red color. If lost or stolen, it's very likely I would get a replace for it. I chose Polycarbonate Smokey amp because I was in love with its concept. It will be my only one of its kind for a loooong time.

// 9