Avenger Review

8.5
 8.9
reviews (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Avenger Reviewed by: bdof, on february 18, 2009

Features: Simple. That's the idea behind the Soldano Avenger. It's single channel 100w tube amp with no FX loop based off of the Overdrive Channel of the Soldano SLO 100. Although it is a single channel amp it does have 2 seperate inputs to play through. The 1st one is for that SLO 100 sound right out of the box, the 2nd is basically clean channel with plenty of headroom but still able to get a nice gritty sound with some gain added. This channel works great for distortion pedals. Though there are 2 inputs you are not able to Switch between them via A/B pedal. Once you plug into 1 input it completely cancles out the other channel. Pre-amp controls are Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Master, Presence, and Depth. // 7

Sound: Though I do intend to sell this soon to get an SLO 100, it has been fantastic so far for what I play. I love a good mid-heavy lead/rythem sound for heavy metal tones and that's what this amp really stands out from others. Whether it's classic rock, hair metal (it's specialty), hard rock or any kind metal this amp gets the job done. It sounds great with just about any setting, everything at 12 0'clock, scooped, or mid-heavy. I'm using a Schecter Hellraiser w/81tw & 89tw EMG's and it works great. I also have a Gibson Les Paul with passive Burstbuckers and it sounds great as well. My current settings are: Gain-4 Bass-6 Middle-8.5 Treble-6.5 Master-2ish Presence-5 Depth-8.5 And I run a Zack Wylde OD pedal. Settings: Level-10 Tone-7 Gain-4 Great for tight crisp rythems and leads that cut right through the mix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability & Durability: it's had one power tube blow and my 5-amp fuse just blew in the back but I think it was because the type of outlet I had it plugged into. Other then that it's fricking tank. It'll last longer then you probably. I would gig with it for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first tube amp and because of that I think that I'm spoiled now. It's a great articulate amp that while it sounds great if you play well, it can make you sound like a chump if you're sloppy. You can't hide mistake unless you have the gain nearly dimed. While this might turn some off I have to admit that because of this I'm a much better player, making focus on my technique a lot more then I did before. If you are looking for a one channel amp, don't settle on Mesa (bleh) or even a Marshall JCM 800 (more expensive) seriously try to find an Avenger and let you ear and your fingers do the deciding. // 10

Avenger Reviewed by: bdof, on february 20, 2009

Features: The Soldano Avenger is a 100w single channel amp all tube with 2 inputs, no FX-Loop, and no headphone jack. The bottom input is used more for a straight forward clean sound or a bluesier tone and respnds very well to pedal. The upper input is used for the patended overdrive channel produced by the SLO 100. Despite it's straight-forward design it's quite versitle due to the high gain setting being able to clean up so well at lower volumes and the nifty ability to Switch from a 100w to a 50w by removing the outer 2 power tubes. It's controls are: Gain, Bass, Mids, Treble, Master Vol, Presence, and Depth. // 7

Sound: Right now I'm either using a Schecter Hellraiser w/EMG's or a Dean CFH w/Blackouts while playing through this amp, and I have to admit that they compliment this amp wonderfully. I also have a Gibson Les Paul 57 VOS, so those Who wonder how passive sound have no fear. They sound great. This is a very dynamic and articulate amp to what ever you play, so buyers beware: if you have sloppy technique this might not be the amp for you. On the other hand, like me, this amp could really teach you dicipline and make you a better player through hard work. It has an exceptional rich distortion and a tremendous low end depending on your cab. It can be pretty noisey without a Noise Suppresor in front of it since it's a high gain amp. I suggest a Boss NS-2, works for me. I got this amp because I wanted to get a combonation of a tight responsive rythem and a sharp appealing lead tone in one package for my style Metal. Being played with 2 guitars previously mentioned helps me get what I want. My whole setup is one of the 2 guitars, Avenger, Vader 2x15 600w cab, Zack Wylde OD, and a Boss NS-2. Amp Settings: Gain-4, Bass-6, Mids-8.5, Treble-6.5, Master Vol-2ish, Presence-5, Depth-8.5. Zack Wylde OD pedal settings: Output-10, Tone-6.5, Gain-4. I base my overall sound off of Shadows Fall and a mix of several other modern band tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The reliability & durability of this should defidently outlast me. Soldano sure knows how to make quality products. Despite one power blowing I haven't an issue yet. Besides, the tube blowing was more my fault, a mixture of the outlet I was using and the garage being over 95 deg at the time. // 10

Overall Impression: I tried about all of the tube amps you can at a guitar center including Mesa, Marshall, Krank, VHT, Bogner (not Uberscall though), and even the new EVH III and none have impressed me or suited me for tastes as much as Soldano. I'm going to steal a quote I heard about Soldano once because it really suites it; "Don't test Drive one if you can't afford it, because you won't wanna play anything else after you do." Hope this helps some. Thanks. // 10

Avenger Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2010

Price paid: C$ 1900

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This amp was made in 2010. It's a single channel amp with two inputs (High and Normal). A three band EQ with gain, master, presence, and depth. No effects loop. 4, 8, and 16 ohms ouput. 50 watts through two 6l6 power tubes and 4 12AX7 preamp tubes. I play in a touring alt rock/ska band and have used this amp both on stage and in the studio. It is extremely versatile, but doesn't do cleans terribly well. It will clean up to a bluesy point, but not to a shimmery point. If I could modify it I would have added the effects loop, but that does come on a similar model from Soldano anyways. Most days I run this amp as such: Les paul->Tuner->MXR Phase 90->TC Electronics ND-1->BBE Boosta Grande->Front of amp Interesting note: While not exactly the same components, the high input circuit is said to be the identical circuit to the SLO (Super Lead Overdrive). Also, you can't use both inputs at once - the amp goes silent. By default the amp is ready to use the high input (turn the gain up without the guitar plugged in and you'll hear a hiss. Plug the guitar into the normal output and the hiss goes away). Not a problem or feature, really, but an interesting thing to take note of in terms of circuitry. // 8

Sound: This amp is very input-sensitive. The two input jacks sound very different in conjunction with the same layout panel. For cleans to blues-dirt, stick to the normal input. Even with the gain dimed out on this side, it doesn't get into a high-feedback/squealy territory. Not even modern distortion. Very old schooled tone. If you plug into the high input, however, it turns into a total mother-in-law. Keep the gain at about 3 and use your volume knobs on the guitar to adjust to taste. Again, it's VERY sensitive to how hot of a signal is going into the front of the amp. Don't expect perfect cleans. If you want shimmer you'll have to go somewhere else. If you don't need shimmer or if you prefer bluesier cleans (think of an overdriven tube combo), this is the way to go. Also, 50 watts is a very good spec for this style of head. It is very loud. I've gigged it about 30 times now and haven't had to put the master higher than 5, including outdoor gigs. The main drawback with this amp is that the bass frequencies seem dependent on the amount of gain you are using. I'm not sure why this is, but the higher you turn up the gain, the more low end you get. This is a little frustrating because gain at 2-3 is PLENTY for 80's style distortion, and even with the bass and depth turned up to 11 (yes, the knobs go to 11!) you are still missing a little low end. The upside, though, is that this helps the amp cut through the live mix very well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I do have it in a road case as a bit of insurance when on the road, but it's a very no-nonsense style build. It looks and feels like a warrior--built like a tank! The amp is about 5 months old now and I haven't even had to replace the stock tubes yet. I have used this amp at gigs without a backup, but that's primarily because of the price point. If I could have a backup I certainly would - it's hard to put 100% Faith into any piece of equipment. // 9

Overall Impression: I would use this amp in a variety of projects. Unless I really needed dire clean tones, such as a country band or some form of pop music, I would feel confident using this amp on stage. If it were stolen I would buy it again, however I would likely get one with an effects loop - running delays in front of the amp can be a bit cumbersome due to it's input sensitivity. My favorite feature is definitely the depth knob. I understand that it was a mod on SLO's years ago. It adds a fair amount of low end to a very trebley amp. // 8

More Soldano reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod 100 Plus 9.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014