SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Soldano date: 01/18/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Soldano: SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive Reviewed by: tristan_deity, on january 18, 2010

Features: Hello UG users. I thought that first of all I should point out that this is my first review of any musical equipment on any guitar web site so constructive criticism would be appreciated.I have been dedicated to playing guitar of all styles for about 8 years now so I do have a reliable amount of knowledge on the subject. I believe this amp was made in about 2007. The SLO-100 has two channels, the Overdrive Channel powers the classic Soldano sound heard on countless recordings and in live setups everywhere, the Normal Channel has a Gain Selector Switch allowing the user to choose between Clean and Crunch options. A Bright Switch adds highs to the Normal Channel selection. Each channel is equipped with independent Preamp Gain and Master Volume Controls. The SLO-100 also features three-band equalization (Bass, Middle, and Treble), Presence Control, and a channel switching Footswitch. The SLO-100 has a professional level (+4db) series effects loop and a slave output. This amplifier uses the finest Military Grade components and specially designed transformers. It comes with a transferable limited lifetime warranty. I play a wide variety of styles ranging from blues to classical to metal and all the way through to folk and pop. My primary style is metal (Opeth, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Pantera) and this amp, even though it was primarily built for metal and has so much gain my dead mother covers her ears to get relief fron the power. You could be in a Ting Tings cover band and this thing would still sound great. The one thing I would personally like to see on this amp would be seperate 3 band EQ for both channels but that is just in my personal taste. I like to have as much control of each tone setting as possible. This isnt a problem though because the tone settings availabe are very colourful and any decent player will be able to find an incredible tone. // 7

Sound: I use a Gibson USA SG Special (Faded) with Gibson's 490 pickup in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan SH-5 that I have installed in the bridge possition. Like I said above I use this guitar with a Hi gain setting on the amp for mainly metal and hard rock, It suits these styles of music perfectiy. The only instance where this amp produces unwanted noise such as 'bad' feedback and static type noise is when the gain is set up in its highest settings, about 8 through to 10. To counter this noise I uses a Boss NS-2 to keep clarity in my notes but I would only uses these Hi gain settings for music such as Cannible Corps and Blood Bath. Although this amp only has a 3 band EQ for two channels it will certainally adapt for any tone with a little tweek on the diles, remember that this is a very loud amp and the clean will only start to crunh when it is set up to about 3 quarters volume. But then again with tones like that wou have to take into consideration thie individuals equipment. The distortion sound is immensely brutal, I can assure you! Distortion is what it was built for and quality distortion is what it delivers. Of course you would have to hear it to get the full experience but for example I can easily produce Slayer and Meshuggah type distortions once the overdrive channel gets past half way. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I will depend on this amp in any gig or situation my band puts me into. It is by far the most solid amp I have ever owned. It has not broken down on me in the time I have owned it or in the time of the previous owner. Pride in craftsmanship is a hallmark of Soldano Custom Amplification. Soldano flatly refuse to compromise quality. They obtain the best parts available and then spend the time to carefully assemble these parts by hand to create the highest quality and most reliable guitar amplifiers possible. The attention to detail is obsessive. They don't have an assembly line, nor do they subcontract subassemblies out to developing nations. Every amp is crafted at the work shop in Seattle, and each is wired, start to finish, by one technician. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is just a work of ART. It fits my styles of music very well and is versatile enough to get me through any gig I could imagine. I truly don't have any negative comments. I feel that any player could find great tone using this amp wether they plug directly in or use a pedal board. If it were stolen or lost I would try to get a new one but considering they are about $9,000 retail price in Austraila that could be a bit hard. I hope you injoy this review, thanks for resding! // 9

More Soldano reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Rod 100 Plus 9.5 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014