10 Watt Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 12/26/2005 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Squier: 10 Watt
This great little 10-watt amp is the perfect choice for the beginning guitarist.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 3.5
 5.1
 5.1
reviews (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
10 Watt Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Features: This is a solid-state, 10-watt, Squier combo that comes packed with the Squier Affinity Strat pack. This amp was definitely designed for absolute beginners. It has 1 input, 1 headphone jack, bass and treble controls, and 1 master volume. There are 2 channels, overdrive and clean. In my opinion, if an amp doesn't even have a midrange control, it is either geared towards complete beginners or those with add. // 2

Sound: The sound on this amp actually surprised me. Using the Squire Affinity Strat the amp came with, you can get a pretty decent clean tone. Turning the treble up on the guitar and switching on the rhythm pickup creates a sweet bluesy sound thats great for playing slower songs. I play mostly blues and classic rock, and the clean really works for that style. Switch on the overdrive, though, and prepare to be completely underwhelmed. The distortion is absolutely terrible, sounding grainy and harsh at low volumes, and only getting worse as you turn the amp up. There is also an annoying hiss that increases along with the volume. Not only that, the amp isn't very versatile, either. There is no gain control for the overdrive channel, and the lack of 3 band EQ hurts both channels. Pedal use is a must. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp does seem to be pretty durable. It is very small, weighing less than 10 lbs, and has a closed back. The handle is also pretty solid. Though the mesh-like speaker covering seems rather flimsy, it has held up well over the year I've owned it. I've dropped the amp several times, and the worst that's happened to it is the input jack falling off once, and all I had to do was screw it back. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a fairly decent beginner amp. I've been playing for about a year now, and this amp has been owned by me since I started playing. I've tried out a great number of amps at various places, and you could do worse than buy this amp. If it were stolen or lost, I'd simply get a better amp. There is nothing about this amp that would compel me to reclaim it. This amp is fairly reliable, though, and its clean tone is pretty nice. The overdrive issue is one easily solved, just get a pedal. An OK buy. // 6

10 Watt Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2004

Purchased from: Rowlands

Features: Quite decent, it's a beginners amp, it's ok for the price, but you could get a better one for it, it's got an overdrive switch, a headphone jack, volume, bass and treble channels and it there are many options they could've put in i wont name any but the basic ones. // 6

Sound: I use it with three single coil pickups, it suits most styles, theres not much variety, its sometimes distorted by high volumes, the distortion isn't really all that! // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing on it for two years so it's quite good, its a practice amp. // 8

Overall Impression: Its very average for the money you could get a better practice amp, let's leave it at that. // 6

10 Watt Reviewed by: ImStoneFree, on april 04, 2005

Features: The Squier 10W has 2 knobs 1 bass 1 tremble 2 channels overdrive and clean, gain knob, 1 headphone jack and 1 input that's all. // 4

Sound: I'm using a Squier Strat on it and it sounds kinda ok but the amp makes it sounds like I'm sittin in a jar and play. The distortion is very hard and brutal. I like more softer dists when I just sit down and just play some. I play hardrock, rock and some grunge and it works with it not more. It's very noisy at high volumes in diffrent settings annoiyng like hell. It's kinda hard to get variation but whit a pedal or a effectbox as I use, the sound gets kinda decent. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would never use it on a gig beacouse it's only 10w. But it seems and is kinda ruff, when it falls standing it always work when I put it on. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 month maybe a bit more but I'm playing everyday and practise on diffrent things. With it I use a Zoom 505 II multi effect box that's what I like about the amp it makes me able to make a dubbel dist, it's really cool. I bought this in a package with a Squier Strat and If I had choossen another amp I wouldn't of afford it sad but true I should of asked more about the amp but at that monent I didn't think it was so important about the amp. // 4

10 Watt Reviewed by: Demagogue01, on june 18, 2005

Purchased from: American Music

Features: This amp comes with almost nothing. All it has is overdrive with bass and treble controls. About the only other feature is a headphone jack. // 2

Sound: I like to play hard rock and this doesnot work very well. Leads/solos sound pretty descent on it with the overdrive turned on, but nothng else does. The clean on this amp is actually good and clear even at high volumes, regardless of the guitar used. There really is no versitility with this amp, you get the same sound no matter how you adjust the settings. I've tried effects pedals and this amp cant support them, they all sound like crap on this amp. This is a good accoustic only amp. // 4

Reliability & Durability: If one doesn't blow out the tubes this amp could probably last near forever, since there is nothing else that can break down on this amp. This amp can be depened on(reliability wise). // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this amp cause it was all i could afford at the time, and since then, ive seen much better amps for the same price, or even cheaper. This amp doesnt sound good for anything other than country and songs like Nothing Else Matters. If it were lost, i would care, and if it were stolen id thank the guy who did it. I wish this amp was worth the near $60 i spent on it, not about $20. // 4

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ S-73 7.9 Electric Guitars 07/21/2014