Champ 15 Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 11/21/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Squier: Champ 15
Clean channel is nice at moderate volume levels. Gain is kinda harsh when turned all the way up, but only morons would turn the gain to 10.
 Features: 6.8
 7.3
 6.8
 7.8
reviews (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Champ 15 Reviewed by: Hendrix4ever, on august 09, 2004

Features: This amp isnt very old but it is durable. I've dropped it multiple times and it hasn't affected its performance. It has two channels, one for clean tone and the other for distortion. The distortion is great for the rock n roll and metal I play and the clean channel is awsome when I play the blues. It has a headphone jack built on so if your self-conscious about your playing you can keep it to yourself. I use this amp in my basement as a practice amp and it has more than enough power. // 8

Sound: I play a Fender Stratocaster on it and the combo works very well. It fits my rock n roll and blues style perfectly. The amp is very versitile though. My freind plays heavy metal on it all the time. With the distortion on there is a lot of background fuzz but goes away when you start playing. The clean channel is the same no matter what volume you put it at. The distortion can get pretty heavy, but nothing too bad. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this amp on a gig only because I dont think a 15 watt amp would be a good gig amp. If it were a small room, I would defianatley play it without any backups. This amp has never broken down and can survive a hurricane. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a great match with my style of playing. I have been playing for a little over 2 years and have been using this amp the whole time. Along with the amp I also use a Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah pedal. If it were stolen, I would get the same thing. Its so great for practicing and small venues. This is an excellent amp. // 10

Champ 15 Reviewed by: XxDiStUrBeDxX, on october 22, 2005

Features: This amp is great for beginners. The clean channel is great and there are hardly any features to it just gain, bass, treble, middle, and presence. Oh and volume which this amp doesn't sound all that great turned up. Also it has a headphones input and 2 inputs so you can plug 2 guitars up to it and an external speaker jack. // 7

Sound: I'm using a ESP F-100FM right now with this amp. It suits my style pretty well (metal, slow rock). It is pretty noisy when turned up to 10 on volume. The clean channel does pretty good when turned up to 7 or 8. The distortion is not really good. I use a DigiTech RP50 and leave it on the clean channel and let the pedals provide the distortion. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty dependable. I've had it for a year and a half and have had no problems yet. // 8

Overall Impression: If this amp were stolen I'd save up for a better one. Maybe a Crate or a Peavey amp. I'm not really sure what amp I'd buy right now but I wouldn't get this one. I do like the clean channel but I cannot get this amp to sound right on the distorted channel. // 6

Champ 15 Reviewed by: samsavenger, on july 17, 2006

Features: This review is for the Champ 15G bought used in approx '96-'97. I mostly play metal, blues and rock. To activate the distortion you need to crank both gain channels very high, which is inconvenient and a simple channel selector button would improve things immensely. Features are very minimal, limited to a 3 band equalizer, volume and 2 gain control knobs. The volume increases dramatically as you turn the knob past 1 or 2 and it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to an appropriate level. The features are adequate for a beginner. The on/off Switch is conveniently located, works well and has an LED. The headphone jack is a handy feature and the sound is good though it. // 5

Sound: This is a very noisy amp when idling on the distortion channel, particularly when the treble is on a high setting, lots of hissing, etc. Once you start playing it seems to drown out any hissing and crackling though. The sound quality on distortion is okay for this size amp but not great, you can get some pinch harmonics out of it when the gain is on max. It sounds kinda watered down on the higher notes. The speaker seems to be of okay quality but again it's nothing that stands out. Clean channel sounds thin, pops a little and lacks power and sustainance. It's quite loud for a 15 watt. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Mine is a number of years old, the vinyl coating is wearing thin and decaying in some places. The controls look cheap and the volume knob actually broke off so I have to adjust it using the bolt that's supposed to hold the knob on (which is also plastic). It still works, it just sucks. The box appears to made of particle board or mdf, and it's pretty heavy. It seems to be quite water resistant. There are metal corner protectors on the bottom and back, but not on the front. Mine's been dropped a few times and looks pretty dinged up but it still performs like it should. The textile cover over the speaker is pretty hardy and will resist normal wear and tear including bumps, car rides, kicks, etc with no problem. The fact that I've owned this amp (granted with very little use for most of the time) for about 10 years with no significant performance issues should say something about its reliability. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with it. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is great for a beginner who just wants to learn the basics and isn't concerned with good sound or quality. You can get them second hand on ebay for $10-$20. Don't pay more than that. // 6

Champ 15 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 21, 2007

Purchased from: Main St. Antiques

Features: According to Fender, this amp is a 1999 model, and was made in Korea, not Indonesia, like the majority of the Squier crap that is out today. It has 2 channels, and the following controls; gain, volume, treble, mid, bass, and presence. No reverb though. I wish that it did have some reverb, and that the distortion didn't sound so tinny and bright. I just bought this yeaterday out of curiosity, and do plan to put it on Craig's list, so I can make a quick holiday sale. // 7

Sound: Keep in mind that this is a practice amp, and not something to gig with, that ain't gonna happen junior. I use my Strat with this, and the clean channel, once you get the settings right, isn't that bad. The distortion channel, sucks though. I cannnot stand the way that channel sounds. You have to turn this up at least halfway just to get a decent tone. It's not that powerful. The Fender Frontman 15 models have a lot more kick than this. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it, only for home use. Would I use this at a gig? Hell no, I wouldn't even attempt it.It does have a jack for a 8 ohm ext speaker, but I don't see how this could really power a 2x12 cabinet. For a 1999 model. it seems to be very durable and could probably take a beating, but I'm not one to abuse my equipment. I'm not made of money, so I baby what I have. // 6

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and blues, and I suppose if you used some pedals with this, you could probably get a great tone with it. If this was stolen or damaged, would I replace it? I seriously doubt it. Like I mentioned, this a practice amp, and is best suited for either a beginner or someone Who wants to play at home and use the headphone jack for some quiet practice. The only thing that I wished I had asked before buying this would be; can you lower the price, say, down to $10.00? // 5

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom 6.8 Electric Guitars 10/28/2014