SP-10 Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 08/30/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Squier: SP-10
A great no-nonsense guitar practice combo with the Fender Squier brand, that won't break the bank. This portable little unit is ideal for classrooms and bedrooms alike, and is switchable to make your guitar sound clean, or dirty and distorted.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.6
 Features: 4.4
 5.3
 4.7
reviews (11) pictures (2) 32 comments vote for this gear:
SP-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2010

Price paid: A$ 54

Purchased from: A small fender shop

Features: This amp lacks heaps of features. Made in CHINA and bought it in 2008. There is no reverb and no gain pot, although there is an OVERDRIVE switch. Not gain. It gets a bit too harsh at some points after about 5. It's either clean or full O.D. The clean is fantastic. The legendary Fender clean is back. In a cheap black box. There is bass and treble equalizers, no mid. A volume knob, input, headphones and the on/off switch. The back is fully closed with adds a bit of bass to the sucky 5" speaker. 10W, draws 22w from the wall. Black colouration. // 4

Sound: I use this amp with a strat and a Les Paul, I also use a DigiTech multi effects pedal as a preamp so I can get better gain. I should review that great pedal. The clean (without the pedal) is beatiful. To bad I don't use it very often. I play practically anything with a bit of distortion. The amp could definitly use a better speaker. When you push it above 7, you get bad speaker distortment. Does NOT Sound Good! Although I still can't get over how good the clean is for the price. If you buy an amp designed buy Fender you'll always get great clean. Just make sure you set a side some money for a pedal of some sort // 6

Reliability & Durability: Fantastic. One word. I use to take it to school and back for a small gig every week for about 2 years. No probs. My only problem was that I walked to far away from it and the amp fell forward. The input then went wobbly and it nearly fell through the face. Guy at the shop fixed it for nicks. It been dropped, stood on, kicked, and still working as well as I got it. Only use it in my room most of the time. Everything in it fell very sterdy. If I had to gig with it IT would be the backup, and my Mesa dual rectifer would be my preference. Good on ya Fender:) // 8

Overall Impression: I've been play electric for five years and I only bought this amp to take to friends places as it can fit in my backpack. My overall impression for it is good. It just needs a better preamp. If your a beginner and looking for an amp this will satisfy for 3 months. Then you'll have to buy a foot pedal. (this review is not comparing to my Mesa) // 7

SP-10 Reviewed by: Spike_S, on january 06, 2006

Features: This amplifier comes with 2 different channels (clean and distortion) and 3 controls (volume, tone and bass). This amplifier doesn't exactly have the power I want it to have and I would never really use the bass feature I would just set it a certain way and leave it. This is amp is mainly used for a beginners amp by a friend. // 7

Sound: I was using a Fender American Strat when I had the opportunity to goof off on this amp for a while and talk to him about it, it suites really any type of music style as long as you like a lot of humming while your distortion is on more for old rock is what it would be suited for. The distortion on this amp is not very good either to much static. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is not a very realiable amp although it is built pretty sturdy and I would not use it on a gig at all it has no power to it the distortion has so much static. For a begginner this amp would be perfect. // 6

Overall Impression: My Overall Impression is this amp is only for begginners, any one else would get annoyed and trow it out the window, I wish it had better distortion and a little more power. Pair it with a Bad Dog Distorter on clean and using the pedals distortion, then it is ok. // 6

SP-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2006

Features: If you are a total begginer who can't play a single thing yet, this amp is for you. It sucks big time, with all to brag about is 1 input, volume, treble and bass knobs, a clean/overdrive switch and a headphone jack. With 3 knobs this SP-10 pretty much is for those without a clue. // 1

Sound: I use a Showmaster HH, and a Strat and both get not a bad clean tone, but beware: decide to turn this amp up past 3-4 and it will scream at you. The OD sucks with no gain you have to deal with a harsh emabarassment of a sound. The buzz you get from this amp with the OD on is annoying, with higher volume comes higher buzz. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Wouldnt gig with for the reason it is 10watt but wouldnt even trust in my bedroom as it tends to fall over due to the tiny feet on the underside. When brought the plug (a UK one) was all twisted and needed straighting out. Although, this amp is quite durable which is a shame as most would think of smashing it. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the kind of amp you buy with no knowledge at all about guitar and you would probobly think its the mutts nuts, play on another amp and realise how much it sucks and how much you were fleesed by the company selling it, no features makes this amp pure and simple suck. // 2

SP-10 Reviewed by: DommyPK, on march 11, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Alley

Features: When I first got this amplifier I thought it was fantastic. Although the amplifier is mainly for practise, bedroom and classroom or whearabouts purposes, I think it's quite a nifty little thing. The overdrive setting is actually "overdrive" not distortion. People are making this out to be an amplifier with in-built distortion, wrong. It's mainly a clean and subtle overdrive amp. The overdrive can actually get quite harsh, but only at extraordinary high volumes. The clean however, I think, sounds crystal clear and has brilliant tone. For the price your getting this at, and for what it is I believe this is a great little amp for home, or band practise. The lacking of features on this amp lower the mark quite serverely. It only has an input jack, volume, clean\overdrive button, treble, bass, and a headphone jack. And of course, an on\off Switch. Because of the lacking of features in this Amp I'm giving it a Seven for what it is. // 7

Sound: At the moment I'm using a Fender Bullet Strat, which I think is quite nice even at the low-end of the market. When I first bought it, it sounded quite ordinary. But now, I have the Boss MT-2 pedal and it makes this Amp explode! The tone comes out perfect and when your adjust or cut frequencies on the pedal, the Amp can output it perfectly! The in-built overdrive is nothing special, however I very much like the clean setting on it as it provides a clean, clear tone. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for about 3 years. Not a single problem so far. Buttons\knobs all work, even the overdrive and clean button works, the reliability of the amp is perfect. I wouldn't however use it at a gig mainly because of it's lack of power. This amp is one I can depend on. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall summary is that this Amp is great for the person that needs an easily transported amp and at an extremely affordable price. The sound on clean is fantastic, and at high volumes the in-built overdrive is fine. This amp has recieved a lot of criticism, mainly because it's been made out to be something it's not. For the price and it's main purpose this amp is a 7 for me. // 7

SP-10 Reviewed by: KX36, on january 16, 2006

Features: Firstly, I'd like to point out that the SP-10 is the same model as the Squier 0 Watt" also reviewed here, so if you want to see more reviews you can go and look at the reviews for that one aswell. The SP-10 has 1 input; volume, treble and bass knobs; an clean/overdrive switch (not distortion as has been written, there's a difference) and a headphone jack. There is no middle control, no channel controls like OD gain etc. In short it is extremely lacking in functionality since it only has 3 knobs and a button. // 1

Sound: The amp is pretty buzzy on any settings unless you have a noise gate. Don't push it past a volume of about 3-4 on clean or about 0.5 on OD and the buzz wil be minimal. Don't play this near a computer screen or in a room illuminated by fillament lightbulbs. It's 10W, 1x6.5" speaker so don't expect a lot of volume. The overdrive is very coarse and pretty tinny and is obviously aimed at beginners who want to get into metal and don't much about distortions and overdrives. The pack of channel specific controls makes both the clean and overdriven channels very monotonal. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Too small to gig with. I take good care of it (zero volume and guitar plugged in before turning on etc), I had only previously played at low volumes for fear of breaking it; but one day I was playing away and it just got really buzzy, much buzzier than the normal intollerable buzz that I was almost used to. This was when it was about 2 months old. I took it apart expecting to find blown capacitors or something, but I found nothing. It's a solid state amp so it shouldn't really have problems like this, especially not so early on. // 6

Overall Impression: Not enough features, bad sound quality, mine was unreliable. Not good enough really even for a beginner. Definately not for a more advanced player looking for a low wattage practice amp. I got this as part of a Squier starterpack from musicianshop.com. Their Squier pack now has a Fender Frontman 25R amp instead of the Squier SP-10, and I can see why. There is no reason to use this amp unless it just happens to be the amp you got with a guitar package like me. // 2

SP-10 Reviewed by: carlos1234, on october 12, 2006

Features: Features? It's a practice amp (make that 'experimenting with the whole playing an instrument thing' amp) for the beginner guitarist on a budget. I am a beginner guitarist. I was 'given' an old Squier Bullet by a friend and he said I could have it until he needs it again, long story short I didn't have a practice amp. So I go into Allans and here is this little thing sitting on the far end of the shelf in their amp room, Bobby (Australian Idol fan? Seriously, check his hair) comes in and tells me it's their cheapest. Basically I was looking for a small amp that had input and output capabilities. I'm giving it a one because it fulfilled that requirement. // 1

Sound: I'm playing a 1980 something Squier Bullet with Texas Special pickups (the previous owner had modified it somewhat). As to my music style? I play chords and screw around, and think I'm better when I'm drunk. That's how I roll, baby. This thing is noisy in a bad way. This little sucker buzzes at anything past '3' and the Overdrive is woeful. I expected as much, and therefore I'm awarding a big fat one. // 1

Reliability & Durability: The overdrive button popped out when I first clicked it in. Now I have to pull the button out and pop it back in each time I want to turn the overdrive on or off. The headphone jack input is dodgy and won't contact properly. For these reasons I'm taking this unit that I bought today back for a replacement and see if I get a better go with the next one. I'm giving it a two however because despite these obvious production line Q/A problems (hey, it's a Squier) the unit is really, really sturdy as there's no cavity in the back. This however can make storage a bit fiddly with the lead hanging out all the time. // 2

Overall Impression: Hey it's a practice amp for the 'curious' guitarist. For $80.00 I'm not disappointed, but I will be going back to see Bobby and get a replacement for those niggling little things. Overall it gets a two. One for being able to turn on, the other for being able to turn off. Even if you have to pull the little plastic button out and bash it on the side every now and then. // 2

SP-10 Reviewed by: Tster, on march 19, 2007

Features: A beginner amp, 10 Watt really basic. If you're looking into buying an electric guitar and want a little cheap amp that can easily fit in your room, this is it. That amp it self has a input and volume jack and on top of that it has a volume control, a treble control and also a bass control. There is also a clean/distort button to change the sound of your guitar. One of the huge things it's missing is a gain control which would help this amp out totally. So in short if you're a beginner wanting to learn how to play this is calling out for you. Worth the price. // 5

Sound: I like to play punk rock to normal rock to slow-ish songs, good to mix it up and yeah, this amp can defiantly pull the sound off. When the distort button is put on you can play metal and it will sound right. When it's clean it can pull off 'Adam's Song' by Blink 182 easily as well. The distortion could be a lot more but I guess that's what you get for just having a button instead of a gain control. The quality of the sound isn't that great compared to other amps. But for the price if you just beginning it's alright. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Some times the amp can fuzz on you which is bad and a 10watt is a bit small to go to a gig with, maybe if you want to make some money on the streets but it would be hard to hear over the drums at a gig. It can fall over and it will be fine it's pretty well built on the outside but that doesn't mean the sound is perfect. It's nice and small and can fit in your bedroom if that's all you want to use it for. // 6

Overall Impression: It pulls of the music I want to play quite well but compared to other amps it's not that good. When I have enough spare money I will probably buy another mush better amp since I have gotten better and I believe I'm passed the beginner stage and I need something a bit more. Before I had brought this I didn't know about the gain control so if your looking into buying an amp maybe get one with a gain control. If it was stolen it would defiantly be in my mind in buying a new amp but I doubt I'd get it. It's a reasonable amp for a beginner, a bit lacking in some areas but a good starting place. Well worth a look. // 5

SP-10 Reviewed by: Invader Jim, on july 18, 2008

Features: Ok, I'm gonna set a few things straight. Prople are talking like this amp is meant for gigging, etc. It's NOT. It's just a practice amp, and that's what my review and ratings will be based on, not comparing it to a Mesa stack or Marshall stack. Ten watts and a 6" speaker make this amp a great practice amp. It's very simplistic: Input, Volume, and Treble and Bass EQ controls, a gain boost Switch, plus a headphone jack. It's main weakness is it's lack of a gain and mid pot, so it's either at clean or full overdrive (not distortion) and the mids are ever-so-slightly scooped. Also, it's a closed-back cab so it has good bass response. Another plus is that it's so small that it'll fit in a backpack (great for those of you that like to take your gear to school). At 10w, this amp has plenty of power for practicing. I've actually hooked the speaker output wires to 2 Kenwood speaker cabs and this thing suddenly rocked! // 8

Sound: The speaker in this amp is what kills its sound. When I hooked it to those Kenwood cabs, it sounded infinitely better, both on clean and Drive. It was also loud enough for that 'gig' (outside at school during lunch break). Just goes to show that you can't judge a cheap amp on stock speakers alone. The cleans (with the stock speaker) are fairly good, and the Drive isn't bad (like I said, the speaker kills it). With the Kenwood cabs, it's a 10. This amp, like most Fender-designed amps, is well-suited to a large array of styles, from as low-gain as country up to alt-rock and some metal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Here's another area of weakness. It tends to tip over due to the compacted placement of the feet on the bottom. If it falls on its face, chances are that the pots (PC mount) will break off. I've had to replace them 4 times (I don't even remember their original values). Also, the jacks are plastic with metal nuts, so they will easily strip the jack shaft. I had to repair the Input jack's connection to the board too, as it moved around ever-so-slightly for so long that it worked the solder joints loose. Other than that, however, it's built very solidly. I can (and have) stand on it and it won't even budge (I used it as a step-stool). The handle is solid as well. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm pretty impressed with this amp's sound, especially when used with higher-quality speakers. It has some durability issues, but that can be prevented simply by re-locating the feet and being careful with the jacks. If your a beginner or a bedroom rocker, this amp is great for you. It's tiny, loud enuogh without being too loud, and with good speakers it rocks. // 7

SP-10 Reviewed by: justmenow, on november 29, 2010

Features: I find that the amp is great for my purposes. The only time I ever play right now is in my room, where it's nice and quiet. The Overdrive on it is pretty good, not bad for such a little amp. It sounds great when set to "Clean". It wasn't made for any more than this. It was obviously designed to be a starter amp not for use in concerts. Features Input and headphone jacks, Volume, Treble, and Bass knobs, and power switch, with light. // 7

Sound: I use a Fender Starcaster. And it sounds great at when set to "clean". The Overdrive sounds pretty good through it as well. I find that if I turn the tone knobs on my guitar all the way down, the volume all the way up, and the volume on the amp down to 2, it sounds great. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp is definitely meant for those just starting out who don't know how to treat an amp. I've had this amp for over a year, and have not had a single problem with it. It has a very strong outer-shell covering all but the front. Also has metal corners on all but the top two in the front for even greater protection if dropped. If you were to compare my amp to a brand new one, I'm certain you would not be able to tell which was which. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this amp is great for what it was designed for. It was designed for use by those just staring out playing guitar who don't know a whole lot yet. Those who wrote reviews and have been playing guitar for years, your opinion on this amp is irrelevant because this amp was not meant for you. This amp is great for praactice on your own while your starting out, if you wish to do more, you're going to need to upgrade to something better. But till then this amp is great. // 10

SP-10 Reviewed by: GimmeRock, on july 04, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: The amp was made in 2008 in China and it is a small amp with Squier on it, written in silver lining. The amp is basically a very simple amp and comes it came along with the Squier guitar pack. Here are the amp settings: Treble, Bass, Volume, Overdrive. Very basic stuff but unfortunately the amp does not come with gain therefore, it falls behind greatly in sound. // 3

Sound: As mentioned this amp does not come with gain. So that means you basically have to play around with treble and bass to get a tone you like. But you won't get much variety with just those features. The overdrive of this amp is very unclear and garbled which sounds relatively terrible. But I gave it a 5 because of the "clean" sound I got. The clean settings were pretty good actually, very clear surprisingly. But it sounded very plain and simplistic which has no unique tone what'soever. I play alot of genres including rock, and I found the amp good for "other" genres. The amp basically falls behind in the more "rock" based stuff so if you're a rock guitarist, this amp obviously is not meant to suit you.I played the amp through the Squier Strat included and it sounded pretty good with the clean but distortion just sounded awful. Very garbled and unclear. Overall, this amp is mainly suited for clean guitar work and nothing involving distortion what'soever. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I never used this amp at a live concert and probably won't. The amp is basically a practice amp, therefore gigging with it won't get you anywhere. This amp is only good for home practice, or for school. One of the good things is that it's very durable and you can take it to school with ease. But that's the same with any other 15W amp though. But as mentioned, I would not depend on this amp or even use it, in fear of it breaking down, and because it doesn't sound good at all. // 3

Overall Impression: In conclusion, the amp is primarily a practice amp and nothing else pass practice. The lack of amp settings make it very hard to find a unique tone, and because of it's cheap quality it would not sustain heavy usage and gigs. If this amp however, included gain, it could have been much better than it is. But it doesn't have gain which means that it'll never be a better amp unless you use a pedal. If this amp was ever stolen or anything, I wouldn't really care. It was a plain and simplistic amp to begin with so I really have nothing to lose if it were ever stolen. // 4

SP-10 Reviewed by: JediLlama, on august 30, 2012

Price paid: £ 0.99

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp is one of the most simple amps I have ever seen; it features some volume, treble and bass controls. You also get an overdrive channel and a headphone socket. The amp is 10 Watts but does go quite loud for such a compact amp. The amp I think is the standard amp that comes with Fender Squiers, so I shouldn't be expecting much. // 4

Sound: I use this with a Epiphone Les Paul Special II with two humbucker pickups. I play mostly rock and alternative like: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters and RHCP. The clean channel is relatively good but does get distorted at high volumes. For me the overdrive channel was too distorted, however reading other peoples reviews they thought it wasn't distorted enough. A good tip is to turn the volume down on your guitar and turn the volume up on the amp and gradually turn up the guitar's volume until you get the desired overdrive, this will hopefully compensate for the lack of a gain control. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely say this is reliable, the previous owner who I had bought it from had it for quite a while and the amp did have quite a few knocks, and it even survived postage without any protection! I've had this for a month now and so far it has been working perfectly, after all, it is Fender quality. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great starter amp for beginners, and as an experienced guitar player I would've loved to have this as a beginner. I cannot really say if I would get it again as it was an impulse buy for 99p. The amp does lack a gain feature, but for beginners it is not essential to have a gain switch. // 7

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom 9.6 Electric Guitars 08/20/2014