Badger 35 Review

manufacturer: Suhr date: 10/02/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Suhr: Badger 35
This is a perfect match for early 60s soul stuff, but with a very slightly modern "creamy" feel.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) pictures (4) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Badger 35 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2012

Purchased from: Peaches

Features: Once I heard it on YouTube, it was always going to be the one for me. It took a while to raise the cash (agonising!) but when I got it, it was what I was hoping, and I pleased with it. I wanted an amp that could help me with inspiration when playing, and it definitely does this. You can vary the (tube distorted) sound just by the attack you give the guitar strings and all this can be done at home practice levels (Tone Heaven!). It has one channel, an effects loop and the best feature of all, the "London Power" thing, where you can get distorted valve sound at bedroom levels - It really works well and that's why I bought it. // 7

Sound: Bear in mind, I'm talking Vintage sound here. I've used a Strat Copy, but I prefer my Gibson SG through it because I can get more expression and tone resonates better (I think). If we say the sound of Blues/70's Rock is Wine, Thrash metal is Beer, and the U2 "Edge" sound is an exotic liquor; then a Suhr Badger 35 is the best tasting fine wine you're going to get at bedroom levels! I can't say it won't do the other sounds as well, but in truth, I didn't buy it for that. I expect another amp would be better and that's OK with me. I play it through Peavey speakers and it sounds pretty good to me - maybe it could sound better through other speakers? I don't know but I'm happy enough. Might try it one day (If I can save more money!) // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not broken down but there is one problem with it. The amp is so "transparent", that you need fresh strings all the time. After a month, I was playing through the amp and started thinking that the sound was "muddy". It got me thinking that something was wrong (Yikes!). Anyway, all returned to sound Heaven with a new set of strings. Just goes to show that not only do you need a good guitar through one of these amps, but also one with a fresh pair of strings. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for what I want. I was playing along with some late sixties Blues and Soul, it really struck me how the sound just sort of dissolved into the sound mix (no effects and no reverb!). Apart from my dodgy playing, it was as if the sound had been Eq'd as part of the original recording. That was EXACTLY what I wanted all along; and for just that moment, the cost of the amp became insignificant. All I could think about, was that I could have that "sound" everyday, whenever I want from now on. That is priceless I think. Somehow, my other amps can't do that. In a mix with old stuff, the sound from other amps is too "distinct" from the late 60's vibe sound - at least to my ears. It's strange, as most would say that a Badger 35 "has it own sound". But I would say that it is a perfect match for early 60s soul stuff, but with a very slightly modern "creamy" feel. // 10

More Suhr reviews rating category latest review
+ Riot 9.5 Guitar Effects 02/09/2012