Solarus Review

8.8
 5.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Solarus Reviewed by: egg_egg92, on july 14, 2008

Features: This is a Sunn Solarus 60 watt all tube amp head. I don't know what year the amp was made, but I am pretty sure it's old. I don't really play music that uses a clean sound, but I figured it was a good amp for the price. It would probably be used best for any music that requires a clean sound. It is a one channel, the clean one. It doesnt't have an effects loop or a headphone jack. It has a reverb and a tremolo built in. The reverb is very good and it can range from very subtle to cavern like. It also has a mid booster that acts kind of like a top boost to make it really clean. It has a volume, treble, bass, and contour control as well. For the tremolo there is a rate and depth control. For the reverb there is the reverb control that controls the power of the effect. Mine came with a footswitch for the effects. I use this amp in my garage and it is very loud for it being rated at 60 watts of tube. It does have enough power for me being as I don't play huge venues, and if I did I could use the PA. It has two outputs, a 8 OHM external speaker output and a 16 OHM speaker output. I use the 16 OHM one into my Sunn 2 x 15 cab. For being an old amp, it has the features needed except for another channel. // 8

Sound: When playing with this amp, I use a squire Strat with stock pickups. It is good for the style it's meant for, blues and the such. It is a very clean amp through most volume levels. This amp will not get high gain by itself. It isnt noisy, but it can be when the mid boost is activated. The amp is very good at clean sounds unless it's cranked up. When cranked, it goes into overdrive because it is a single channel tube amp. But if you turn the volume on your guitar down, it well clean up the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't had this amp for more than 6 months, so don't take my word on this part. It hasn't had anything bad happen to it yet, so that's good. I would gig without a backup with it however. It seems very dependable and sturdy for the time I have had it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good amp for the style of music it is meant to play. I have been playing for 6 years now, and this is the only amp I have right now and I love it. If it was lost or stolen, I would try to buy it again (cliched). I love the clean channel and the effects are nice. I wish it had another channel for overdrive, but that's ok. Overall, this is a good amp to get if your looking for a clean sound. // 8

Solarus Reviewed by: SGRocker400, on february 07, 2012

Features: Amp was made in 1969. 40-60 watts (I've read both) 4 inputs (two each for brite and normal channels) outputs for 16 and 8 ohms, but has a tap for 4 ohms, so can be rewired. When both output jacks are used, it defaults to the lower impedance. Controls for volume, bass, treble, contour, rate and depth (for the onboard vibrato) and reverb level controls, and a mid boost switch. The vibrato and reverb are both footswitchable. No FX loop. 2 EL34 power tubes, 7025 (12AX7) and 12AU7 preamp tubes, 7199 phase inverter, and a gz34 rectifier tube (solid state reverb and vibrato drivers). I play everything from alternative/indie rock to metal, and this thing is more than loud enough to play with a loud drummer and full band. Its louder on 2 than my Sunn concert lead is on 5 or 6. It currently has mullard tubes (aside from raytheon 7025 and 7199). // 8

Sound: I am running a heavily modded Epiphone G400 SG (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon pickup) or a Fender Custom Scorpion with a GFS Fat Pat, both with coil cuts. Those run thru a pedalboard of a Boss TU-3, Keeley modded blues driver, homemade fuzz, modded NYC Big Muff, Russian made EHX bass balls, chorus, delay, and EHX power booster. I'm running it thru a huge early 70's Ampeg V2 cab (4x12, ported) I haven't had a chance to crank it up super high, but did get a nice rolling stones-ish distortion out of it around 3 or 4 on the volume knob. Its a bit muddy on the normal channel through my cabinet, which is very bassy, but is better on the brite channel. The blues driver sounds fantastic through it. I've kept the mid boost switch on so far as it sounds a bit thin without it. It is very responsive to picking, and cleans up nicely with softer picking (even with the blues driver). The vibrato is nice and subtle, and adds a nice bit of color to the sound. The reverb is fantastic, very surfy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Cosmetically, the amp is in very good condition for its age. There is some rust on the chassis, which seems to be common with old Sunns. The construction is super solid. The inside was in fantastic condition when I got it. I replaced the 2 prong cord with a three prong, and removed the death capacitor. I haven't gigged with this amp yet, but it has been thru a few band practices so far with zero issues. However, because of its age, and because I like to be overprepared, I would probably take a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a great match for my style of music, although pedals are a must if you want versatility without touching the amp settings. I also own a Sunn beta bass and a silverface concert lead, and this amp is easily the best sounding. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely look for another, or go with a similar Sunn amp. // 10

More Sunn reviews rating category latest review
+ Sorado 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/07/2013