T50C Review

manufacturer: Sunn date: 10/06/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Sunn: T50C
The Sunn T50C is built for power, and it's built to travel. The Sunn T50C is a 50 Watt, all tube design amplifier that features one 12" Celestion G12 T75 speaker.
 7.4
 8.5
 6.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
T50C Reviewed by: which ones pink, on october 06, 2007

Features: This Is a Sunn T50C 1x12 combo amplifier, made in 2001. It's 50 watts all-tube (not sure if it's Class A or not), with a Switch to turn it down to 12.5 watts, for bedroom playing and getting better tones at lower volumes. It has two channels, clean and distorted, with an effects loop for each channel, reverb, and a 3-button footswitch (channel Switch, reverb, and effects loop). It has casters on the bottom, which is a good thing, as it's heavy (75 pounds). // 8

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Classic, with crappy humbuckers, and this amp still sounds amazing. I'd say the best thing about it is it's versatility. Sunn amps were owned by Fender (they're discontinued now), and not surprisingly this amp has beautiful cleans, quite a bit warmer than Fenders, but keep in mind I'm using a Les Paul (solid mahogany+humbuckers=warm tone). Now you'd think that the distortion on an amp with cleans this good would suck, but such is not the case. This thing has quite a lot of gain, and the tone is very similar to a lower gain Mesa Dual Rectifier. I can play Metallica with the gain on eight, and that's the most gain I will ever use. Turning the gain down to about three yields a very nice classic rock tone. I said it's a lot like a Dual Recto, and so they share the biggest downfall: a flabby low end. To fix this, I put a DigiTech Bad Monkey in front of it, and that helps heaps. It's still not a tight as I would like, but the rest I blame on my pickups (Epiphone stock). I have also noticed an amount of buzz on the gain channel, but I'm assuming it's the tubes, they're the stock Fender Groove Tubes. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to really crank either channel, but I turn it up just a little past bedroom level and it sounds infinitely better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems solid as a rock. I've only had it about five months, so I can't comment on the long term reliability, but it's never failed on me yet. The casters and handle are heavy duty, the the casing has metal corners. There is also a removable plate on the back that protects the tubes from accidental knocks. I would gig without a backup, even though that's never a good idea; this amp is solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I never play anything heavier than Metallica, mostly shred and power metal, with a spattering of blues and classic rock. This amp works very well for me, and is a huge upgrade from my previous amp (Line 6 Spider II). The only problem I have with it is that the gain channel is too loose, as I said before, but there are ways around that. When I was looking to upgrade, I was set on getting a Fender Blues Jr (I don't know why, maybe because it was the only amp in my price range that I also had a chance to try), and a Metal Muff for the heavy stuff. Instead I got this, from a guy Who used to run a guitar repair shop. Boy am I glad I did, as a Blues Jr doesn't suit my style at all. If it were stolen, I would probably buy a cheapie practice amp until I saved enough for a Mesa Mark IV. These amps are really freaking hard to find too, even online, as no one wants to sell theirs. Overall, an excellent amp, especially for the price I got it for (I hear they were around $1000 new), and so versatile. If you got the opportunity to snag one of these, you would not be disappointed. // 9

More Sunn reviews rating category latest review
+ Sorado 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 02/07/2013