Trademark 60 Review

manufacturer: Tech 21 date: 12/10/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Tech 21: Trademark 60
From vintage to modern, Tech 21's Trademark 60 offers the industry's most desirable tube amp sounds, and provides the flexibility to create your own signature sounds as well.
 Features: 9.3
 8.3
 7.5
reviews (4) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Trademark 60 Reviewed by: super666fender, on december 14, 2004

Features: I haven't bought this amp yet buy I have tested it extensively and I will buy it when I get enough dough. This amp is great for any kind of music you want to throw at it. I play mostly hard rock, metal, punk, and some blues, and this amp will take it all. It comes with a 3 button stop box to switch in between the cannels. It has no special effects on it, and I don't need them. It has reverb on it, and if you crank the reverb on it with distorion half way up, it sound as though you are in a stadium. Tis amp is very unique. You can link all three channels up to give you the craziest distortion you could think of. The clean on it sounds almost liek acoustic, and it also has gain on the clean channel. It's a 60 watt Solid state amp. But it is a beast! // 10

Sound: I have an Epiphone SG (the 400 dollar one) with '57 Reissue Gibson humbuckers on it with 11 Gage Ernie ball strings. As I mentioned before I play metal, hard rock punk and some blues. This amp suits all of them, and anything else you can think of it. This amp has a crystal clear clean tone, but its a tad ruzzy when you have reverb cranked and clean on max. This amp can make an almost acoustic clean tone (you have to fiddle with it a bit though) or the craziest heaviest distortion ever heard! But as I meantioned on the clean tone, when you crank the volume (I had to wear earplus for this) on the overdriven tone and the reverb is maxed it's a bit fuuzy. But with no reverb or low, then it's nice and crisp. You can definetly get a nice tube amp sopund from it though. The distrortion is amazing! Much better than any Marshall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Haven't used it much since I only play it for about half an hour once a week, but from what I've heard it's a great amp. // 8

Overall Impression: Great match for the music I play. When I first saw this amp I had some doubts though. It looked all vintage and and crappy looking and the controls are a bit confusing at forst, but once your used to the controls its all good! the only thing I would change is the vintage look it has. This will beat out any Marshall in its class! // 8

Trademark 60 Reviewed by: angusyoungwanab, on march 23, 2005

Purchased from: Quixtar

Features: The amp was made in 2003, but I bought it new in 2004. This amp can cover a lot of bases. I've played everything from Iron Maiden to SRV, Judas Priest to Pearl Jam, Audioslave to Incubus, you get the idea. I've never played "true blues", jazz or the like, so can't comment on this. my band is more of a Incubus/Mars Volta/Pennywise group, so I need great cleans that can get dirty, and vice versa. It's a two channel amp with a footswitch for effects loop/channel/and boost. they say you can get Fender-esque cleans and Marshall/Vox/Mesa-esque distortion, not model or anything like that. anyway, this amp does it all. The controls on the amp are a little wierd and most active(which means that set on 12 o'clock is zero). The clean channel has a drive, punch, and volume knobs and a bite switch, which tightens low end and adds a "sparkle" to the clean sound. Overdriven it's a beuat. The punch controls the midrange breakup and overdrive. I love my "Yellow Ledbetter" setting, its the clean I use all the time. The OD/distortion channel is similar with a drive, growl and volume and a weep switch. The weep thickens sound and increases even harmonics. It's not that useful actually. It muddies up the sound I'm getting before I turn it on. The growl is not active (zero is at 7 O'clock) and it controls the mids and is supposed to not affect your volume, but it does, just a tiny bit, but enough for me to notice. The master EQ section has a boost level (up to 9dBs) reverb (an Accutronics 6 spring'verb) it's not fantastic, but better than what I had before (Behringer GMX110), and then the low and high controls. These are active and they are supposed to balance out the midrange created with the growl and punch settings to what you want. These are great, you can really fine tune "your" sound. This seriously has everything I'd want, just not how I expeted it to be laid out. Boost, nice reverb, footswitchable channels, everything. But thats just me, I am a diverse player but I do not play everything. // 8

Sound: My 2 main guitars are a Fender MIM Tele and a modded Ibanez GAX75 (Super D/bridge and a PAF Pro/neck, painted my own way). The Fender is perfect for when I use it. Full, deep to twangy clean. Add some chorus and it's awesome. The distortion with the Fender is good too. I can translate that twang into my solos and chords when I need it, and can get heavy enough for me. Like I said, this is for an Incubus/Mars Volta/Pennywise band. With the GAX75, the cleans are great with the PAF. The Super D is just too hot to play clean. On the second channel, I get the early classic Maiden (Number Of The Beast, Killers, Peice Of Mind) on the Super D to Shadows Fall type grind (w/the BOSS SD-1) to the "hollow" Maiden solos from "Brave New World" and Satriani. The punk sounds are great to. Not quite Pennywise, but Unwritten Law and Bad Religion sounds great with this. I'd give it a 4.8 but can't give decimals so I'll say 4. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with it and its never dissapointed me. I also only have a Crate 15 watt GFX as a back up, so this better not fail me in the future. The tolex is strong enough. The footswith is made of metal, so thats durable, unless your gunna jump with both feet on top of it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the perfect match for everything I play. Punk to metal to classic rock, this rocks. I've been in the game for 4 years now, and in my band for a litle over 1 year now. I own the 2 guitars I mentioned earlier, and Ovation Celebrity, BOSS SD-1, Ibanez chorus/flange, Digitech Delay and Phaser. I'm sorry to sound biased, but it's sking me if there was a question I had asked before I bought it. I only with I could have played it before I bought it. I made a big gamble, but it paid off. I always make gambles like that. Would try something out if this were stolen, but thats only because I wanna see what else there is out there. I love this thing and if there was nothing that impresses me more than this, I would get it again. I love the boost. I can really drown out the other guitarist during my solos. I compared it to the Line 6 Flextone, Behringer GMX210 amd GMX212, and the Vox AD60VTX. I played all the above and found that some of the Vox's models to be muddy or too undefined. the flextones shutdown on me during "tryouts", and the GMX had too many effects and not enough good sound. I owned the GMX110 and I loved it. I dunno why these were different but they were. I do wish this can with an onboard tuner, a mute button, or a tuner out so I could plug in my handheld Korg into it and tune up from that. But thats really nothing, since I'm also pretty lazy. // 10

Trademark 60 Reviewed by: guitarest99, on april 02, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: I purchased the amp used in 2000 and I believe it was around a year old then. I have always been a fan of the Sansamp Effects pedal and it was a no brainer. I figured it would be a good purchase and here it's 8 years later and this amp is still going strong. The amp has many options that most amps don't even come close, mainly the 4 channels. Let me explain it has the standard Clean (with overdrive option) and the Overdrive/Lead channel; but each channel also has a boost option on the pedal giving this amp a ability of not needing a overdrive pedal for leads in either channel. The EQ Section actually does something with the EQ and the amp is very light but has been to many gigs with me. The amp is 60 watts but I use this amp in stereo with a Tech21 Power Engine 60 and that sounds so cool. I cover material from Funk, Blues, Hard Rock and some Country; so the amp does all of this without touching any settings. // 9

Sound: This amp does cover all ranges of music from funk (clean Fender sound) to hard rock (Marshall combo), and everything in between; without trying. Very quiet, no excessive noise so no need for a gate, and the reverb is analog so it rules. This amp does cover all ranges of music from funk (clean Fender sound) to hard rock (Marshall combo), and everything in between; without trying. Very quiet, no excessive noise so no need for a gate, and the reverb is analog so it rules! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I purchased this amp, no problems at all. The Tolex has with stood years of gigs, the foot pedal still works flawlessly, and the amp still sounds like it did when I bought it. Never has any gig been canceled because of this amp. Tech support at Tech21 in unbelievable, this amp is almost 10 years old and they still have no problems helping me if I send a email. Loads of presale support and after sale support. It was their staff Who helped me set up my current rig that operates in stereo with the Trademark 60 and the Powerengine 60. What a sound. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I mentioned above I cover all styles and this amp does it with no problems. I love the Sansamp that's built in the amp and really like the lack of all that digital BS that everyone else has. If you want a great amp that will be nothing but a guitar amp without all the BS digital shit this amp is it. If you want to purchase a quality product this is it. If this amp got damaged, stolen or anything happened to it I would replace it within 24 hours, Tech21 still makes this amp with many different versions and power levels. I love this amp, the only thing I do not like is the open cab, wich it was a closed cab for more bass response but that can be resolved by adding a external cab. I sound like Tech21 commercial, but I really do love this amp, and since I have been playing since 1979 and have also been involved in the USAF Tops in Blues programs I do know a little about equipment and this is a great amp sound. // 10

Trademark 60 Reviewed by: kindadumb, on december 10, 2012

Features: My amp is v1 (the Tech 21 speaker, rather than Celestion), so I'm guessing it was made around 2000, give or take two years. It's a solid state 112 with two channels that cover a lot of ground, and it's certainly loud enough to be gig-able. On the back panel, you get an effects loop, a headphone jack, and a direct out jack for Tech 21's famous SansAmp equipment. One distinction of the Trademark 60 (and Tech 21's combo amp line in general) is the heavy use of active EQ controls - meaning that you can cut and boost, whereas standard passive controls only allow you to cut. Thus, the Trademark 60 gives you a much wider tonal range than one finds on a standard amp. // 10

Sound: I'm using a fairly heavily modded Epiphone LP for funk, post-punk, and hard rock. The Trademark 60's ability to meet my needs really depends on which channel we're talking about. Channel 1 is the Fender-esque channel, which sounds AMAZING both in clean and overdrive. The Growl button here is sort of like a mid range EQ control, but it also changes the nature and character of the distortion on the channel. You can go quite easily from a light, clean twang all the way to full-on, heavy blues rock (or, in my case, punk/funk). Channel 2 is supposed to be the Marshall/Vox side - and, in my opinion, it was a bit of a mistake to try to cover that wide a range in one channel. The Growl control, kind of like a "contour" control, can get you a raunchy scooped mids sound reminiscent of a Big Muff, but the channel really just sounds kind of muddy; the channel sounds like it's coming from behind a really thick blanket unless I have treble at max, in which case channel 1 sounds like an ice pick. I think it would have been much wiser to have either separate Bass/Treble controls for each channel, or to have separate the channels by Clean and Overdrive (with three-way Fender/Marshall/Vox selector for each channel). Overall, I give channel 1 a 10/10 and channel 2 gets a 6/10. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's only thirty-five pounds, so it's very portable for a sixty-watt amp, but it's actually one of the sturdiest amps I've ever seen. In fact, if you remember those enormous Peavey amps of the late '80s, the Trademark 60 feels even stronger than those amplifiers. So far, nobody has had to do any maintenance on this amp in its decade-plus of service, not even so much as a dab of contact cleaner on the pots inside. This amp has held up very well and looks like it can continue to take a heavy pounding. // 10

Overall Impression: While I specialize in a very sharp, jagged post-punk/funk sound, I've had to use clean tones, heavily distorted tones, and sometimes even semi-acoustic tones via a piezo pickup. They all sound amazing on the first channel - arguably the best channel of any amp I have ever heard. As for channel 2, I could see it working in theory if you're into heavily distorted power chords in dropped tunings; that's not my thing, though, and the muddiness of the channel tells me that it won't be of much use outside that field. As much as I like to rag on channel 2, though, I have to admit that channel 1 is so good that I would buy a new Trademark 60 in a heartbeat if my current one were stolen. As long as I keep it on channel 1, it's the best amp I know of.

// 9