DG15R Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 08/10/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: DG15R
The Traynor DynaGain DG15R delivers a full 15-watts through its high quality 10" Celestion speaker. A two-channel design allows the player to switch between a pristine clean tone or a searing overdrive channel for awesome leads at the touch of a switch.
 8.6
 9.1
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
DG15R Reviewed by: KenG, on august 10, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: The DG15R is a 15 watt, opened back, solid-state amplifier. I purchased it Brand New and believe it was made either late '06 or early '07. I bought this amp solely for practise at home and it's more than loud enough for this purpose. I already have a Peavey BRAVO112, 22-watt tube amp but it was a pain to lug around the house. At 23 lbs (10.5 kg) the DG15R is easy to relocate to my bedroom or living room. The DG15R has 2 channels with shared tone controls, an overall Master Volume and Reverb level. Channel one (distortion channel) has gain & volume controls, channel two (clean) has a volume control only. The speaker is a 10 inch Celestion and it can be defeated/silenced by way of push button switch on the rear panel. It also has jacks for an external speaker cabinet and headphones. The control panel also has a channel select push button and 2 RCA jacks for CD input. Unfortunately the reverb and channel selections are not foot switchable but as this amp is not intented for Live use, I don't see it as a problem. // 8

Sound: I have two Epiphone Elitist LP's ('57 Goldtop and LP Plus) which I use with this amp. I do find the sound a little thinner overall compared to my tube amp but that's generally true of most solid state amps except Marshall. Channel one has good distortion and is very flexible (little to ridiculous) as you have gain, volume and master volume controls at your disposal. Channel two is very clean until you get up past five on the volume control. Master volume settings are shared with channel one however. The bass, middle and treble controls have enough effect to suit me and again they are shared between the two channels. The reverb is a spring type and sounds very natural. The sound quality is very surpising for so little money and even with a good amount of distortion the amp is very quiet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would not recommend this amp for Live use, it's just not powerfull enough for this. Solid state amps generally will last unless abused as there's no tubes to wear out. If used as intented, (i.e. practise) I don't see any issues with reliability or durability. // 7

Overall Impression: I like classic rock and blues which this amp can easily handle. After a ten year hiatus from playing, I've been picking up the guitar regularly for the last year and a half. I haven't had this amplifier for very long, but I'm so impressed with it that I had to submit a review to let others know about it. I think this amplifier was designed for students or home use only due to it's low power output. Keeping that in mind, this amp is hard to beat for the price and I believe you're getting excellent value and versatility in a small package. I looked at Ibanez, Fender, Crate etc and this just seemed to offer more for the price range I had in mind. If I had known about this a while ago, I would not have spent money ($180.00 CDN) on a Sansamp to keep playing while I waited for repair parts for my tube amp from Peavey! It would be nice to be able to Switch channels and reverb via footswitch but again, as a practise amp, this is not a real requirement for me. If you are looking for a small amp for use at home, you should consider this one! // 9

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013