Guitar Mate Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 04/29/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: Guitar Mate
It has an 8 inch speaker, 1/4 inch input and headphone jacks, clean/overdrive select switch, volume control and 3 band equalizer. This would be a great starter amp!
 5.8
 6.9
 4.6
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Guitar Mate Reviewed by: kyle_katarn3, on december 27, 2005

Features: Newest model of the amp, I assume 2005. Solid state, three band EQ, volume control, Two channels (clean and a very dirty overdrive, more distortion), headphone output. I really like the amp, excellent value. My only request would be the addition of a gain knob for the overdrive, as the comparable Fender Frontman 15G has, but I would still pick the Traynor over the Frontman any day. I use this for practice in my basement/room, and it works perfectly. // 9

Sound: I'm using this amp with an Ibanez GAX 30 and a Boss DS-1. As you can tell, I'm a beginner. The guitar and amp seem to really compliment eachother, and when I bought the DS-1, it just made everything sound better. As I said, I would have liked Gain control on the amp, and the DS-1 provided that. The amp has a very good sound for a 75 dollar practice amp. I played it against a Fender Frontman and a Brand X, and it definately shone above both of them. The clean is excellent, and so is the distortion. I got a pretty good SOAD sound just from messing with the EQ and using the amp overdrive. However, as I got better, I saw the need for more control of the distortion and bought the DS-1. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable. It didn't come with a back plate, I dunno if that is normal or not, so my only concern would be moisture getting into the electronics or speaker via the open back. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, a very good beginner amp. This cant compare to a Roland Cube, a Vox Valvetronix or for that matter any amp other than a 15 watt practice amp. However, for 75.00, there is nothing better. If it were lost/stolen, I would most likely upgrade to a Vox or Roland cube, maybe even a Crate, if I had the money to do so. However, if I only had 75.00, this would be the amp I would get. // 8

Guitar Mate Reviewed by: tanner., on may 25, 2006

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This is my first amp, purchased in 2005. This amp doesn't have enough options and isn't quite versatile enough. It has only 2 channels, clean and death-metal distortion. It does have a headphone jack. I wish it had a gain knob, because it doesn't work if you are playing softer rock. // 6

Sound: I play lots of acdc and zeppelin, and it doesn't really work. Led Zep and AC/DC don't have total distortion, and yet I can't change the amount of distortion. It also sounds really poor when I use treble pickup. Basically, you have a few choices of what to play: blues, country, soft rock, or death metal. however, when you use these styles, the sound is awesome. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am in a band program, and we actually get to record. When I heard we had to use our own amps to record, I nearly died. In the song we are recording, I play soft distortion, about a quarter of the way on a gain knob. My amp will make it sound really bad. this amp did actually break down once in November 2005. I was playing at just below volume 3 and it stopped. It wouldn't play anything. I tried the distortion channel, and all it did was shriek. Luckily I was able to trade it in. // 6

Overall Impression: This is not a good match for you people Who like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and other old rock bands. It is good if you play hardcore stuff. The good thing is I have a DigiTech RP50, which makes it sound better for classic rock. The basic reason I chose this amp is because it was cheap, it didn't play too loud, it had a headphone jack, and I was also buying the DigiTech RP50. My reccomendation is too get something else. // 6

Guitar Mate Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on april 29, 2008

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: I believe this amp was made in 2005. Not sure where. I got it in March 2006, so it's no newer than early 2006. This amp is very basic. It has knobs for volume, high, mid and low. It also has a button for clean/overdrive channel select. The clean channel sounds pretty good but the overdrive isn't very good. There's no gain control so you can only get one tone for overdrive. This isn't a bad amp if it's a first, practice amp and you play mostly clean or have a pedal for distortion/overdrive. One of the pluses is that it has a headphone jack. // 6

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone G-400 with humbuckers. It sounds good on clean but the overdrive doesn't sound very good especially with lots of treble. I play Sabbath, Zeppelin, Guns and Ozzy mostly and the overdrive really isn't good for anything from Sabbath, Guns and Ozzy. It's not bad for Zeppelin, sometimes. You start to get bad sound quality around 6 or 7 volume. That's plenty loud for any practising though. The distortion really isn't anything special. I got a Line-6 UberMetal and it sounds a lot better through different amps, even with the channel on clean on this amp. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This amp would really suck for any sort of gig, except something really small. I'd get a better amp for a show, definately. Never know when this thing might blow out if you go too loud. The amp's never broke, but I've never really played with it loudly yet. // 7

Overall Impression: This is obviously a very cheap, starter and practice amp. It's only $50-75 and it was my first amp. Not really a good amp at all for anything loud, or distorted (rock, metal) unless you have a pedal. I've been playing for over 2 years now and I'm glad I have a better amp. If this were stolen, I wouldn't care much. All I really use it for now is playing my iPod. I don't really like anything about it except it's small enough to play in the car on long trips and when I go to the cottage for the weekend I take it. When I got this I didn't know much about guitar stuff, so I just picked a cheap amp I could afford with distortion. Main thing I wish this had was a gain knob to change distortion level. // 5

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013