TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 09/20/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: TRM40 Reverb Mate 40
The Traynor TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 Combo Amp splits 2x20W of power evenly through 2 - 8" speakers, delivering more great tone at higher volumes than single-speaker 40W combos.
 Features: 8.5
 8.2
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 Reviewed by: SchecterGuy28, on may 27, 2008

Features: It has a 3 - band EQ (treble, mid, bass) and a presence knob. It has 2 chanells (clean, and Distortion) each chanell has a volume and gain knob. For Effects it has Reverb and chorus. The Chorus effect has 2 knobs (depth, and rate). The Amp also has two imputs (high and low gain) and 4 outputs, and a output for a footswitch. It has 2 8" speakers. // 8

Sound: For the clean chanell I can get a very good sound, slap a bit of reverb and chorus on it and it sounds b-e-a-utiful. The distrotion chanell isn't the best. it's dark sounding but not crunchy - not a good idea for a show. It seems the more louder it gets the crappier the distortion is. If you are using the amp for a clean sound you'll be better off. If you want a good distortion though - buy a pedal! // 6

Reliability & Durability: It is actually quite durable, I haven't had any problems with it yet. But once again I would never use it for a gig. It has no grill or anything like that covering the speakers, so don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. The power chord is attached to the amp which may cause accidents, but you can tuck it into the opening in the back when moving it. // 2

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it is a good practise amp for novice players. Not a high-quality amp obviously. If you use it with pedals you can get nice sounds out of it though. I used the amp mostly with a Schecter Omen-6 Extreme, and usually got some pretty nice tones. I usually kept the EQ at LOW - 8, HI - 8, MID - 5, and Presence - 8. Even with the distortion I kept my reverb on at about 3. I always you a bit of reverb to keep it from sounding box - like. // 7

TRM40 Reverb Mate 40 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: This amp is a great little alternative to the 60 watt, 12 inch speakered combos that you will find saturating the market. It has two channels, the ubiquitous clean and overdrive. Along with one set of equalization for both channels (with volume and gain on each), presence, reverb, about every kind of output in the back, and a built in chorus effect. It also has two 8 inch Yorkville speakers which help it match for sound the aforementioned 60 watt/12 inch speakered combos, even thought the Reverb Mate only has 40 watts. I have never had an issue with volume with this amp. When the venue your playing requires a larger amp, it will have a PA I've found, so you're good. // 9

Sound: Let me make this clear, the overdrive channel on this guitar does not produce an intense amount of crunch. Now, I like this, however, if you plan on doing metal, this may not be the amplifier for you. However, jazz, blues, pop and rock can all be accomplished readily with the built in channels. I generally use a Schecter Blackjack or an Epiphone Les Paul with the Reverb Mate and generally I can accomplish every tone needed. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amplifier for five, going on six, years now. It has played reliably at countless shows and I have never experienced any issues with it. It has probably been the most reliable piece of gear I have ever used. // 10

Overall Impression: I generally play alternative rock and this amplifier can handle the distortion needed along with sometimes jazzy bits needed. If I lost this amplifier it would be like losing an old friend. Its a great amp, portable, unique, great sounding and with a bevy of features. // 9

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013