YCV40T Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 10/30/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: YCV40T
Real tube overdrive is provided by three Sovtek 12AX7WA dual triode preamp tubes while real tube power is provided by two Sovtek 5881WXT beam power tubes. The internal gadgetry in this channel switching amp provides good flexibility, but makes it very easy to get a great tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 8.5
 9.1
 8.8
 9.3
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
YCV40T Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2007

Purchased from: Badlands Guitars

Features: It's a new amp, 2006 model, with 2x10 layout (Celestion tube 10 speakers). It is all valve 40 watts, with two 6L6 output valves and the generic pre-amp valves. Channel one is the overdrive channel, with gain, volume, treble, bass and mid controls; there is also a boost control that boosts the gain. Channel two is the clean channel, with a volume, treble, bass and mid controls; there is also a bright switch. There is also a master presence control and a master reverb control. The reverb is spring type and has a spring pan in the bottom of the cabinet. It has a footswitch, which changes channels and activates the boost on the overdrive channel. There is an effects loop and an external speaker output. It is a self biasing amplifier, so tube changes are quick and painless. // 9

Sound: I'm simple when it comes to my setup, an guitar and an amp is usually as complicated as it gets. So I run a Gibson SG Special aswell as a custom strat that I put together in the garage. I play mainly blues and blues rock, but I play in a local jazz band and also play classic rock with some local lads. The amp handles all these styles well. This amplifier is easily loud enough to come through in the mix, with a full jazz band giving it some it can cut through without straiting itself. But the tone of the tubes comes through even at low volumes. It sounds a bit like a beefed up Fender Twin when clean but driven hard it can create the gorgeous singing solos of people like Jeff Beck and Joe Bonamassa. The EQ controls change the sound hugely, the reverb is very bright and natural. The presence control can be heard working but doesnt't change the sound all that much. The clean channel breaksup quite early really, with the volume at 7 and a hot pickup it can be persuaded to breakup, but it's smooth breakup not the harsh type you get from a solid state. The Drive channel can be run with the gain low to create a second clean channel or the gain pushed for a more rock orientated sound. The boost is prominent, and great for soloing with but it would be better if it was an adjustible boost. The background hum from the amp is barely noticable, it's really quiet, but I have noticed that I do get the odd crackle from it at random times (these aren't loud or frequant, but it's happened a handful of times). The amplifier itself is basically a YCV40, so from what I have heard by changing the valves this adds headroom on the clean channel and can create an even nicer breakup (the tubes in it are economy items but to be honest, they're still good). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it only a week, but I've taken in to two jazz band rehersals (lunked in and out of the car and through many double doors) and it's seen that easily enough. I tend to treat my gear well so it gets warmed up and cooled down before playing/moving so hopefully it will last a while. The speakers are covered by a steel grill, which is covered in the grill cloth, this will help when I play in local bars so no1 punctures a cone. the amp if full of useful things like that. // 5

Overall Impression: For the music I play is suits me well, I've been playing for 3 years and I own a Gibson SG and a Strat that was put together by me in my garage. I used to run these through a small Behringer modelling combo but it blew up rather spectacularly 15 minutes before a gig. So I was forced into buying a new amp, if it were lost (knows how you'd loose something this big and heavy) or stolen I would definately buy another one. I love the build quality, it's built like a tank and is has a powerful look to it without saying "look at me". The only niggle I have is it gets a bit warm when it's been running for a bit and being PCB bassed a little fan assistance could be a neat idea. When I was looking for a first tube amp I looked at the Fender hotrod deville and a Kustom coupe 72. The hotrod was very "fenderish" and lacked the versitiliy I want, but did the blues well. The couple 72 just didn't appeal to me at all, I couldn't seem to get my tone out of it, or one that I was happy with. I chose this because soon as I played the first note out of it I was taken away by the depth the sound has, it really does have balls; and big hairy ones at that. The only thing I wish it had would be a footswitch for the bright switch on the clean channel, and maybe a footswitch on the reverb. apart from that it's pretty darn good. // 10

YCV40T Reviewed by: Scum_PunkRocker, on october 30, 2007

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: This amp is a Traynor Custom Valve 40. It's a 40W all-tube amp with 3 Sovtek 12AX7 and 2 Sovtek 5881 (6L6B) tubes, with DC filaments to reduce hum. It's 2 Celestion Tube 10 speakers. The amp has an extra speaker jack for external speakers as well as an effects loop, foot Switch jack and standby Switch. The included footswitch has 2 buttons, one for channel switching and one for activating the overdrive channel's boost. The amp has 2 channels, 1 being overdrive and 2 being clean. Each channel has treble, middle, bass and volume controls, with the 1st channel having a gain knob and boost Switch, and the 2nd channel having a bright Switch. The amp also has 2 master controls: presence, and reverb, which comes from an accutronics long spring reverb tank with 2 springs. Because all the features it has are quite useful (except for the bright Switch as I play Fender guitars) I give it an 8. I haven't tried the amp with a dark guitar, though I assume the Switch would brighten it nicely. // 8

Sound: I use a Fender MIM Telecaster with the stock bridge pup and a Duncan Designed HB102(n) neck 'bucker as well as a Squier Stratocaster with the Ultra Strat Mod wiring and a Fender Lace Sensor Red bridge pup. I play ska and punk in my band tastes like capitalism as well as fool around with some blues and rock on my own time. At 40W tube, it can be heard with the drums, bass and vocals with each channel on 5. This thing is LOUD, and sounds sweet. Great tube tone, with the clean channel sounding a lot like a Fender Deluxe Reverb and the overdrive channel sounding like a modded-Marshall Plexi. I put a 12AT7 in V1 to clean up the clean channel but still the amp has enough overdrive for punk with the boost on. I really dig the sound and was quite surprised. It really brings out the character of my guitars while matching them nicely. With how I have the amp set it is never muddy, and is quite suitable for how I play. The amp is actually quite quiet in the hum department, so those DC filaments work. The clean channel breaks up quite a bit at higher volumes, not loads, but it has a mildly overdriven and slightly crunchy sound on 10. I don't like that, however, I haven't needed it that loud yet so it's not a huge problem. It also sounds really nice at low volumes, but like all tube amps, really shines with the volume turned up. The reverb is also a treat, though it gets splashy when set quite high, which isn't really a surprise and is also cool for experimenting. I usually have it set on 3 or 4, which adds a lot of depth and warmth and remains subtle. Because it's sound is so good for it's price (even at it's retail price) and meets my own needs, with the exception of it starting to break up somewhat early (6) I'm giving it a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I am completely confident in that it would hold up at a gig without problems. There is a steel grille behind the grille cloth to protect the speakers, it's made of plywood, not particle board or equivalent, and it was designed and built in Canada, and it hasn't broken on me yet. It hasn't been to any gigs though so I wont know how it holds up to one until November 6th when I use it in TO at a 600 person venue. // 10

Overall Impression: I got this amp used for $400 and I'd say I got every penny's worth. I got it because I saw it for it at a nearby pawn shop when amp hunting, fund reviews on it, as well as user feedback on the U-G forum and decided it would do me well, and I was right. Is it the best amp ever? Hell no. But it does what I need and meets my current expectations and requirements. I've been playing for 4 years and I can honestly say I'm fairly gear savvy (I know quite a bit, though I'm sure there's still tons I have to learn) and I'd say this amp is a great buy, especially at the price I got it, and it seems to hold it's value on eBay. If it were stolen, I'd find the douche that took it and get it back. I'll probably have this for sometime though I do eventually plan to get a cabinet for it, and later sell it for a head (JCM, AB165 Bassman, or a Mesa Nomad/Recto/Mk.IV). Other than it not holding off on break up on the clean channel, there's no complaints with this amp, therefore it gets a 9. // 9

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013