YCV40WR Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 03/30/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: YCV40WR
The YCV40WR is based on of the extremely popular YCV40, which was a Guitar Player Editor's Pick Award Winner.
Features: Auto-matching tube circuit maintains bias balance as tubes age, ensuring hum-free performance throughout tube life; DC filaments on preamp tubes eliminate hum; Fully regulated power supply with tube rectifier emulation; Long Accutronics spring reverb; Dual-channel footswitch.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
YCV40WR Reviewed by: peterella, on november 04, 2005

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This is a 40 watt all tube amplifier with a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. 3 Sovtek 12AX7WA preamp tubes and 2 5881 power tubes. This has a wine red leatherette covering with an oatmeal coloured grille. This amp is great for classic rock, blues, and even metal. 2 channles one with gain. Comes with a 2 button footswitch for switching channles and turning on gain boost. Does not have a headphone jack. Tons of power, I use it only in my house. Also has reverb. This does not have a lot of features, but sounds great and is easy as pie to create great tones. // 9

Sound: I use a Godin LG SP90 with this. It has 2 Seymour Duncan single coil p90 soapbar pickups. It is awesome for blues, rock, and some lighter metal. Even though this amp is designed to not hum, it is very noisy even with lowish volumes. It is probably because of the pickups I am using. It has a nice classic rock crunch sound. The cleans are crystal clear and go very loud, but get distorted at higher volumes. The distortion can be very crunchy if you turn on the boost and lower the treble. This is the best sounding amp I have ever heard, except for the humming. With humbuckers I'm sure it would sound great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it for a little while, but it seems a little shaky and not super sturdily built. The grille dents easily and whenever you move the amp, things rattle around in it a bit. It has not broken down yet, and seems like it will last for a fairly good length of time. // 7

Overall Impression: Again this is great for classic rock and blues and some metal. I have been playing for 2 years and also own a Marshall MG30DFX, which makes me laugh when I play it after playing this amp. If it were stolen I might look at getting a smaller tube amp, because even though this is good value, it is still fairly pricy. I love the sound of it, but I don't like the noise it makes when not playing. I really like this amp and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a tube amp. // 9

YCV40WR Reviewed by: ledroses23, on march 30, 2009

Features: More than likely it is a late 2008/early 2009 model based on when I ordered it. The amp is very versatile, but don't expect metal sounds to come out of it, it's not meant for that. -Wine Red tolex with gold cloth covering the steel grille -2 channels -footswitch included-1/channel Switch 2/boost engage button -40watts powered by two Sovtek 6L6GB Beam Power Tubes, and runs 2 Sovtek 12ax7 preamp tubes -separate tone controls for each channel -effects loop/line out-(parallel I've been told by the Traynor staff -Long Accutronics spring reverb -standby Switch I have used this amp in a band situation and recording, and it works great in both. However, I wish it had a bit more headroom because the clean channel starts to break up around 5, but it's only a slight crunch. I usually run a volume pedal in the effects loop to form a master volume, which is the only feature I really find the amp lacks for my preferences. // 9

Sound: Using an Ibanez S470 and Artcore AS105 custom finished, the amp sings the blues on its' on. Works fantastically for jazz/blues, ambient type music, and pop/hard rock. Has a great funk sound too with the treble turned up a bit. With the S470, treble can be a bit overwhelming when I plug in, but that's what EQ knobs are for. They are easily the most responsive EQ knobs I've messed with, and can drastically impact the sound. Does have some hum on the clean channel, but not real noticeable in a band situation, and I find it adds a Vintage sense to recordings. It has a pristine, heartwarming clean with the Artcore, which naturally adds warmth due to the pickups and hollowness. A searing hard rock solo sound can be achieved really easily on the Drive channel with the gain around 12 and the boost engaged. The amp actually does have a lot of gain on tap, but after a certain point enough is enough for The Music I play. Like I said the amp breaks up on the clean channel starting at about 5, and gets a little crunchy, which is great for rock. Want a clean sound for a big gig situation? MIC IT! Has nice and squishy like overdrive, very smooth, which I love. I'm not real big on pinpointing artists' tones, but I do get a real good SRV or John Mayer blues tone on the Drive channel. I am more of a believer in learning songs the way the artists played it, and then kind of making it your own. For The Music I play, I don't think I could have found a better amp in this price range for the sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I do depend on it, and plan to gig without a backup on hand. I do have a Line 6 Spider III 75 as a backup though, which I hope to never have to pull out. The springs in the reverb tank to rattle around a little bit(but not while playing) in transit, which drives me crazy. Since I Live in the country, the amp bumps along with the car, and the springs clank around. I called Traynor directly(nice folks, very helpful), and they said it was nothing to worry about. The amp has metal tipped corners, so if you bang it on the corners of the amp, the metal protects the corners nicely, which is a clever feature I think. // 8

Overall Impression: For the stlyes of music I play, the amp is an incredible bargain. I also own a Rocktron Prophesy II preamp which I usually run into a Carvin active speaker, but I haven't touched it since I got the Traynor. If it were stolen I would certainly buy from Traynor again, even though they did just raise prices. I would buy the YCV40WR again, and now I'm actually looking at the 50Blue, Ycs50, and possibly the YCS100, One of which I will probably buy in the next few years after I get an extension cabinet for the 40WR. My friend has a killer Hot Rod Deluxe, which inspired me to look at amps like this. I tried amps out for over a year, from every Fender I could get my hands on to mesas and Marshalls. In the end I just loved the clean channel on this amp, and was floored when I found out I got a good Drive channel too. I would give a 10 here based off sound alone, but no amp is completely perfect all the time. // 9

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013